A stupid question here to native English speakers

A stupid question here to native English speakers.

Consider the following sentence:

'I wonder if the receipt will be issued electronically once the payment is complete'

Now, I would like to change the tense in the main clause to Past Simple Continuous.

'I was just wondering if the receipt would be issued electronically once the payment...' here's the issue... 'once the payment *was* complete?'

Something tells me it has to be 'was complete', but 'once' used as a conjunction in a subordinate clause is not often seen in sequence of tenses excersises. So I just want to check with those whose mother tongue is English.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1V6OAcGy9PN
oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/procedure
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Still use is

once the payment would be completed. same as earlier in the sentence

payment is complete
job is done
bitch is dead

is is is is

I honestly don't know what all those tenses are but IS just sounds correct when talking out loud

Is completed? Not a native

"...would be issued once the payment were complete." (Subjunctive mood)

With that said, a lot of speakers use "was" in the subjunctive too, because the verb 'to be' is the only verb in English where the subjunctive is different than the simple past anyway.

sorry, I'm native English speaker, and its my only language, and this shit confused me.

around here it would be something like.

"Ya'll gonna give me a receipt after all this?"

vocaroo.com/i/s1V6OAcGy9PN

Querying for "..if the Receipt would be issued electronically.." would end with "..once the payment was completed?"

But the bigger question is, why the past tense?

I felt that 'is' sounded kinda natural, but the main caluse is in a past tense so perhaps one can't use 'is' there.

'would be completed' also sounds natural, but most Grammar books say we can't use any future or future-like tenses after 'once'.

'was complete' sounds least natural and seems to distort the meaning since the 'is' after 'once' in the original sentence conveys a meaning about something in the future.

It's quite a conundrum...

I was wondering if the receipt WILL be issued electronically WHEN the payment is completED.

>delete "just"
>completed
>when, not once

You still use 'is'.

instead of payment, use transaction.

Blah blah blah has been completed.

Problem solved nigger

Erm, why can't I use 'once' here?

And how come you use 'will' in the subordinate when the main is in a past tense? Or the whole 'I was wondering' thing is considered informal enough to sort of set aside the sequence of tenses rules so religiously taught to foreigners?

all wrong.

I was just wondering if the receipt would be issued electronically once the payment HAS BEEN COMPLETED?

Is complete

or

has completed

Another foreigner here then. Sometimes I stumble upon certain cases where articles are omitted. but I feel like they should be there and can't quite understand why they're left out.

Real life examples I remember:

'Do you have preference?' Instead of 'a preference', spoken by a native speaker from England.

'It's just basic procedure' instead of 'a basic procedure', also spoken by a native speaker from England.

What the fuck? Why are articles omited here?

More and more versions of truth as the thread unwinds... Holy balls.

>I wonder if the receipt will be issued electronically once the payment is complete

'electronically', is redundant. we can all assume it's electronically. 'I was just wondering' or 'I wonder', makes no difference. last bit should be 'once the payment is complete'.

Fucking laziness for the first. Could be a case of an regional accent hiding the "a"

The second is correct depending on the context.
ie. "I have to get you to sign this crash report. It's nothing to worry about. It's just basic procedure."

Ideally "standard procedure" is a better fit, but like any language, there's a certain amount of flexibility allowed when speaking it.

/thread

I was just wondering if the receipt would be issued electronically once the payment has been completed.

After all of these questions, I'm just wondering what's going to happen to that damn receipt.

>regional accent hiding the "a"

I have surmised for a long time that certain accents go as far as altering article usage, but have never been sure.

>he second is correct depending on the context.

But why? Damn, 'procedure' is a countable noun, shouldn't there be an article before it?

'Procedure' actually can be both countable and uncountable.

oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/procedure

Don't know about you but i'm starving. Imma eat that shit!

Rookie ESL teacher and native speaker here - this was my thought too.

OP, I think you'll want to use present perfect in this instance (once/when payment HAS BEEN completed).

It's = It is.
Ergo; It is just basic procedure.
Yes that makes sense.
Procedure is not being counted, it is referring to a method not an instance.