/daily/ - "looking directly into an eclipse" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2uR4pgPTY
youtube.com/watch?v=76E-thr2I14
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/geir_jenssen/cho_oyu_8201m__field_recordings_from_tibet/
youtube.com/watch?v=L2aUMxR2tUo
youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0leJC88PQ
youtu.be/qcIJiwWwBtc
youtube.com/watch?v=eo0l0yQ2OsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eh2jr-p8SwA
youtube.com/watch?v=emm5Lxi4Qos
youtube.com/watch?v=ixKSHqMFKj0
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_silk_string_quartet/contemporary_and_traditional_chinese_music/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

these threads suck and you all have shit taste

You don't even know the half of it

based user blowing /daily/ the fuck out!

post yer fav charts, give recs n shit

does topsters 2 even work again

Give my pleb ass some recs pls

yes

alright i guess my laptop only wants it to work in incognito mode neat

i become a college kid tomorrow. weird.

>Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep in the North Sea
Very pleasant jazz album. It's pretty inoffensive, but does hold some interesting moments with the saxophone. I enjoyed it.
>Mother 2 Soundtrack
I feel bad for not finding this as amazing as so many other people say it is, but honestly I'm not so blown away by this. It's really solid for video game music, and the genre hopping is awesome, but there's only a few songs that really stuck with me. I feel like it'd help if I played the game and heard the music in context and more repetitively.
3+
>James Ferraro - NYC, Hell 3:00 AM
Much better in concept than in actual execution. What should be a beautifully dark and weird post-internet dystopian album, is really just a lackluster, underwhelming album of bland beats and atmospheres, bad singing, decent sound collages and field recordings. Unfortunately, this isn't good.

should i listen to something else off this chart of listen to the new based god. also, recs for me 2 and a half hour car ride tomorrow?

fuck how did i blunder like that

Listening to this and really liking it, is like a new wave recods with opera vocals or something like that, the vocals are pretty great, definitely a 70/100 or more, a pretty fun record.

I also listened to Renihiliation by Liturgy and was superb, i think it will be between my favorites pretty soon.

listen to cryptopsy

songs for the deaf is essential road-trip core btw

successfully moved into college, and my roommates are awesome :)
I did a lot of listening during the drive, so now it's time to dump my thoughts

Coughs - Fright is Right
>Noise rock
Crazy no-wave worship done right. These guys play all the wrong notes at precisely the right time. The vocalist sounds like a cross between Lydia Lunch and Margaret Chardiet. A few of the songs seem like throwaways, but honestly it's hard to blame them when your music is this structureless and unconventional. I wish they utilized the horns a bit better, but this is a fun album regardless.

Guenter Schlienz - Tape Studies
>Tape music, ambient
Although it's nothing groundbreaking, Schlienz creates wonderful soundscapes from so little. The 30-minute closing track, while still gorgeous, does get a little repetitive as there is little development throughout the track.

Nervous Cop - Nervous Cop
>Noise, Free improvisation
A couple cool moments but overall this is just aimless wank.

Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
>"""""""""""""""'microhouse""""""""""""""""""
This is way more experimental than I expected, and this album shows off Jaar's immaculate production skills. Nothing here was particularly memorable to me, but Jaar does know how to create a mysterious and at times unsettling atmosphere like no other. I can tell this is a grower though so I'm not gonna put it down quite yet.

Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love
>Psychedelic pop, Neo-psychedelia
The title track is an awesome drug trip, however nothing on here even comes close to reaching the heights of the aforementioned track. Connan's vocals are grating at times, but at other times they work their way into the quirky instrumentation and click perfectly. Unfortunately his songwriting chops are weak as well which leads to a disappointing record sans the title track.

David Thomas Broughton - The Complete Guide to Insufficiency
>Avant-folk, Singer/songwriter
Long-winding folk pieces driven by repetition and experimentation. Most everything here surprisingly works; the melodies are beautiful and the "avant" portions are done tastefully. Broughton's vocals aren't good in a technical sense but they fit the melancholic tone of this album. Not usually the type of music I enjoy but I was pleasantly surprised.

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
>Noise rock
Dracula Mountain. Enough said.

Did you make sure to play them Musical Abortions through your stereo, as is /daily/ tradition?

hmm image didnt save hmmmmmmmm

damn not yet
desu I haven't even listened to it either

youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2uR4pgPTY

RIP piggo

literally legendary

i saw you in /tpg/ last night you forgot to trip down

in my near 8 months on /daily/ how have i not seen this yet
that was jangle?

correct haha very embarrassing

hey i'm not feeling this King Geedorah album rn
tell me why I should like it

>iTunes
lel pleb

Hey speaking of that thoughts on Part 15?

stupid good beats
competent to great rapping
fun concept
great atmosphere
you a bitch if you dont like fazers

Yee

Fazers is good but the beat reminds me a lot of Beef Rap and just makes me want to listen to Mm Food instead

sad! but idk geedorah makes more sense to me as a project than mm food

I liked it quite a bit. I'm interested to see if Ed and Norma getting together will have some sort of plot relevance seeing as how the show so far has been about how the characters fundamentally haven't changed in 25 years and things are happening in cycles.

I also thought that entire log lady scene was heartbreaking and am excited to see what happens to Cooper.

fishitmans

Maybe dropping from the partnership with the other RR2Go! restaurants will affect Shelly, idk. I was just happy to see their plot having closure, it was sad seeing Ed still away from her all those years later.

And yeah, Jesus talk about some sad shit when Margaret called Hawk to tell him she was dying. The In Memorian just stung hard, I cried a little bit.

You should listen to this Theo Parrish song if you like good music.
youtube.com/watch?v=76E-thr2I14

Yeah I was relatively surprised that we got any sense of closure from this series lol

I found a really immersive field recordings album check it out

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/geir_jenssen/cho_oyu_8201m__field_recordings_from_tibet/

To my uni boys: generally, how safe is Soulseek to use in college dorms? I already got locked out of the wifi (didn't get in any trouble) for having utorrent installed previously.

ive pirated hundreds of gigabytes of music and movies w qbittorrent w no problems

Top fucking notch track, point me to more please

I can't believe it's so hard to use torrents in college wifi up there, at least slsk should be safe I think.

slsk is 100% safe

it's p unique mate, I'll let you know if I remember something like it.

but you should listen to more of Parrish's tracks. these two tracks have different vibes but they're also great! the first is a bit dark and minimal and the second one has a bit of jazzy piano, so it's closer to Summertime, but it's got a mellow and sleepy vibe to it

but I'm gonna try to find more shit like Summertime in his discography.
the jazzy vibe hits my soul man.

Did you posted the wrong link or are those two dif versions of Lost Angel?

fug
Lost Angel is the first dark one.
youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0leJC88PQ

Letov:
>Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
It's an actual embarassment I haven't listened to a full Kate Bush album when it has the exact sound I like about 80's

whitie:
>Objekt - Ganzfeld
The influences to old-school IDM are so obvious here, and it's really cool to see this on a 2014 album. I've already got the album this is from on a chart, so now you've got me excited to hear it.

trip up:
>Duster - Irato
"duster isn't like rpgmaker lol"
>chiptune
hmm'st've

Kanzler:
>Pan Sonic - Pakoisvoima
Noisy and uncaring, with more than just a "dark" kind flavor I'd expect from industrial. Given that this is also on my wishlist, I'm wondering if I could really take more than 3 hours of an album like this.

good friend rodriguez:
>Man Man - El Azteca
Deserves to be longer. Actually reminds me of Clarence Clarity's dirty+online mixture of sound.

nyarlathot:
>Surgeon - Move
Average 90's techno. Don't mind it, don't hate it.

-------
LOSERS
-------

stick:
>Nice Face - Hard Time
It was alright. I don't think I'd enjoy a whole album of this.

Mark And:
>Lil B - I Own Swag
He really could move a little more instead of lookin like a damn preacher when rapping
and he can't sing
i know it's supposed to be funny he goes for a whole minute of not rapping at the end
I'm not feeling the memes on this

=====

RESTRICTIONS FOR THE NEXT ROUND:
7 minutes max, has to be from an album you've given a 6/10 or less. No genre restrictions

new order - age of consent

>I'm wondering if I could really take more than 3 hours of an album like this
Only the first disc of Kesto is so noisy and in your face, as the album progresses it becomes more and more ambient until it ends on an hour long drone

>RESTRICTIONS FOR THE NEXT ROUND:
>7 minutes max, has to be from an album you've given a 6/10 or less. No genre restrictions
youtu.be/qcIJiwWwBtc

also
>missing the point
duster are the purified, distilled form of the feelings RPG maker games WANT you to experience

literally "they're not like rpgmaker because i don't like rpgmaker as much :("

also because duster were around like 10 years before rpgmaker were a thing
i dont evne understand the point either of you are trying to make

also your interpretation of my argument isnt any less valid desu

The Flesh Eaters - A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die

the point i'm trying to make is mad, and the point is you :v

o fugg i have been gotten

I feel like this is a spoiler

bad forever dolphin love score t b h

youtube.com/watch?v=eo0l0yQ2OsQ

someone host a tourney i have some spicy recs

literally what is saying

(fish)
i considered it no joke. it's too early for that. it looked cool regardless.

>Much better in concept than in actual execution.
>james_ferraro.wav

brian chippendale is very possibly my favorite drummer.

that's the fastest (and possibly best) song on the album, but it's still a great album. check Rabbit Habits out some time, or Life Fantastic if you want something that's less directly Waits worship.
Honnda - Megga Millionz

In my fourth year, never got caught with slsk

Then again I haven't heard of anyone getting caught for anything here

i still need to put my onion into the listenalong chart thingy, anybody got the most recent version?

i think it's here

>tfw band u like's symbol is being used by white nationalist groups
fuccck hhhhh

whose?

yey, glad you liked it
Kesto is kinda diverse but I wouldn't say it works for 3 hours, but it has a couple of nice tracks
>next round
TR/ST - Shoom

Just finished Kieślowski's A Short Film About Killing and now feel down as fuck. A Short Film About Love better lift my spirit up.

nvm it was a bamboozle

a fake Antifa page said that Proud Boys were using the Crass symbol and my friend texted it to me thinking it was real lmao

Tatsuro Yamashita - For You
it's a big song

>a big song
for you

(it's actually Sparkle)

holy shit man! he got it! he made the connection! he understood the reference! wow!

Ok

Only restriction is you have to explain what's good about it, why you like it, etc. Low amount of that going on around here. I'll take your pick if you do that.

Jons - At Work on Several Things

really cool guitar work and breezy, poppy melodic tendencies make for a dreamy, angular summer record with Beatles-esque vocals

Do you take comps?

This contains at least a dozen new-favorite-song-core type deals. It's lots of fun and profound almost-outsider indie rock and contemporary folk

/daily/ ON SUICIDE WATCH

JOIN ME IN THE OFFICIAL Sup Forums PLUG.DJ CHANNEL

i like theo!
these are my favs
youtube.com/watch?v=eh2jr-p8SwA
youtube.com/watch?v=emm5Lxi4Qos
youtube.com/watch?v=ixKSHqMFKj0

>Anything from Dekalog
>spirit lifting
hearty kek

ooh nice

Mary Lattimore - Collected Pieces
Electroacoustic harp music. The notes dance around and meld together and create such a heavenly sound

join plug

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
It's one of those albums to really capture the feeling of a real shithole of a city - David Thomas is one of the craziest vocalists out there, the piercing synthesizer noises and lack of tonality make it bleak and unwelcoming (yet the songs are still good enough to make you want to come back), and the lyrics have themes of mental illness and alienation. Sentimental Journey, in particular, is one of the darkest songs of its era.

Basically, it sounds like what Cleveland feels like. In a good way.

>john zorn
but of course

Have you heard destroyer's rubies?

Love it. Bought the vinyls

plug time tonight

if u have good screencaps of funny plug chat moments please post them now

is that the only destroyer you've heard?

got some, idk if theres anything funny prolly just stuff involving me

Only paid real attention to that Kaputt, and Poison Season. Heard other stuff like once. Truly love Kaputt.

rip

nevermind i got nothing

ok I rec you Your Blues
Dan Bejar takes sounds I really, truly hate and makes songs I love. Compromised of really egregiously cheap sounding synthesized arrangements, like my least favorite 1980s sounds, Your Blues has songs that absolutely go above their meager components. I think bejar used these sounds to challenge himself, to wring something beautiful out of ugly components, and succeeded wildy. It cries out for a professionally orchestrated production, but it's a little too hard to argue with as it is

can i save a spot i'm not at my computer rn

oh man i cannot miss an ehtyboy thing
gimme a minute

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_silk_string_quartet/contemporary_and_traditional_chinese_music/

This is a release of Chinese folk music. Music of this style can take on many forms and this one takes on a sound I consider to be very beautiful. Luscious arrangements and passionate playing whisk you away to scenes of Chinese nature like the kind you'd see in a painting. Absolutely gorgeous stuff imo.

>not enjoying rap's Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
baka son clearly you have no swag

where does /daily/ fall?

Me: Edgy, Dank
Everyone else: Normie, Wholesome

frig off poser