Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>The banana clon album
What a Pitchfork choice

i don't read pitchfork did it get a 1 because that's all it deserves

that album is shit
obscure i'm-smarter-than-you album #526 is clearly the best album of the 60s

One of the most overrated rock albums of all time.

I thought it would be Pet Sounds, but this is alright.

well, they got the right album. But I still dont like Pitchfork.

rly makes u think

This board is so painfully tsundere for p4k that it gives me second hand embarrassment

Top 20 for those who don't want to look through the whole list:

1. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

3. John Coletrane - A Love Supreme

4. The Beatles - The Beatles

5. Nina Simone - Wild Is the Wind

6. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

7. James Brown - Live at the Apollo

8. The Beatles - Revolver

9. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

10. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You

11. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

12. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

13. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

14. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

15. Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!

16. The Beatles - Abbey Road

17. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

18. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

19. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis

20. The Stooges - The Stooges

What Pitchfork means by this?

Both albums suck. What point are you trying to make?

I thought they already made a list of their top 60's albums a couple years ago. Is this a new/different one?

>4. The Beatles - The Beatles

wtf that's like the worst Beatles album

The Beatles worst album is better than half of Hip hop

Cool opinion, maybe start a music blog and start competing with p4k

>1. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Shouldn't be number 1
>2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Should be number 1
>3. John Coletrane - A Love Supreme
Good pick
Their worst album
>5. Nina Simone - Wild Is the Wind
She sucked after 1963
>6. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Nu-male king
>7. James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Good pick but way too high up
>8. The Beatles - Revolver
Probably too low
>9. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
ok
>10. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
All her albums suck
>11. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
alright :S
>12. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
No
>13. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
too low
>14. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Again he can fuck off
>15. Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
Literally who?
>16. The Beatles - Abbey Road
ok
>18. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
not bad
>19. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
She sucked too
>20. The Stooges - The Stooges
that's fair

Overall it's a poor list.

Based

Yellow Submarine is like 50% tracks nobody gives a toss about and it's a BEATLES album. to be the beatles and make an song nobody cares about you have to be seriously off the mark because this is the only release they ever did where that's even vaguely true. every good song on this is a single so you can just listen to the single versions

That Love's "Forever Changes" is not in the top ten and two Beatles records are just goes to show how bloody awful this list truly is.

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album but that's such an obnoxious choice to rank it the highest of theirs.

>Eric Dolphy
>Literally Who?

What a pleb.

>No Red Krayola
>No AMM
>Only one Zappa
>"Hey guys, let's put Piper lower than the fucking Shaggs, that'll show 'em"
come on guys

>17. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Uh Oh!

That's ranked 33

But White Light/White Heat is the best Velvet Underground album and the best 60s album

>Bob Dylan
>Nu-Male King

he's slayed more poon than you ever will

Lol what a clon

>post-punk
>avant garde

Oh yeah seeding Joan Baez is such an achievement...

How the fuck did self-titled beat White Light/White Heat?

When you're famous women will let you do whatever they want, you could grab them by the pussy, etc.
If he wasn't famous he'd just be another manlet jew.

>110 - Philosophy of the World
Not even mad desu

It's more important objectively even if it's not as good

Well shit, kudos to them for having an original opinion for once, and not just one that was racially charged.

playing it safe eh pitchfork?

great now pitckfork ruined its reputation because when i rec it to my friends theyll think its sjw and won't even get it a chance

Half of the top 10 are still niggers though,

Except they didn't do this with their top 1 pick

>Nina Simore
>Aretha Franklin
>muh stronk black womn

I didn't read it so maybe they went into a bunch of detail about how great those picks are because of their "B L A C K N E S S" but those are at least tolerable top picks for a popular music reviewing source, which is honestly a lot more that can be said for them from within the last decade

I didn't read it so maybe they went into a bunch of detail about how great those picks are because of their "B L A C K N E S S" but those are at least tolerable top picks for a popular music reviewing source, which is honestly a lot more that can be said for them from within the last decade
Those female black women are not worth having in a 60s top ten list but by pitchfork's standards the fact that they aren't the top picks is something I'll take over the crap they've been doing lately

It's still shit. The Rolling Stones should be nowhere near top 20 and once again Abbey Road is overlooked. Pet Sounds would be a much better number one, and Captain Beefheart should be waaaaaay higher

Lil peep sucks more

I've probably gone to pitchfork like 5 times in my life. The content just seems really pretentious

It IS pretentious.

>An all white band takes the top spot in the greatest decade of african-american music

Perhaps they aren't as cucked as I thought

>s/t over White Light White Heat
>Pet Sounds over Smile
>Songs of Leonard Cohen over Songs of Love and Hate

Where is plastic ono band

>white indie kids give their opinions on jazz
velvet underground is a reasonable choice, it's the album that invented their genre. but namedropping eric dolphy to give your list credibility is pathetic

>The Pleb Boys
>Number 1 in anything
Are boyband fans the most delusional people on earth

>he unironically thinks sucked my ding dong is a lyric worth repeating

>pitchfork

retardation ladies and gentlemen

>"Hey guys, let's put Piper lower than the fucking Shaggs, that'll show 'em"
>come on guys

I don't like Pitchfork but this is 100% accurate, Pink Floyd refined their sound immensely after kicking out that spergo

They even put the self-titled ahead of WL/WH. Pathetic

it only pioneered alternative rock u fag

>Those female black women are not worth having in a 60s top ten
>one of the most influential voices and performers of that decade isn't worth of that

I know right, where are the electric guitars?

>in the greatest decade of african-american music

That was the 50s by miles

You're talking as if praising Miles Davis and James Brown is some fucking novelty brought by the PC police

wtf i love pitchfork now

well then, thanks for sharing.
while i love pet sounds, your opinions are not shared with anyone. check out different genres there, friend

Alternative rock is maybe taking it too far, but it pioneered art rock and experimental rock.

so the usual suspects with lots and lots of pop and soul albums that aren't very good or memorable. that's it? like i love the shangri-las more than anything but do these people even know what dreck's actually on leader of the pack? a lesley gore album is better than the kinks' arthur?

what a useless list. the '60s is the most canonized decade ever. to have it sorted out by nervous millennials accomplishes nothing

>rymbabbies
no gives a shit about your ebin genre namedrops, fuck off

>Bob Dylan
>Nu-male king
Someone is afraid of big words I see.

Why are you mad? The guy I replied to didn't take offense and probably doesn't plan on doing, so, why did you?

>by miles
Yeah

Finally, someone mentioned AMM, Red Krayola and Zappa. While the beatlemania and teenage girl love songs were consuming the world, their contemporaries AMM made freely improvised music. And apparently, at least Paul McCartney was a fan.
>Beatles member Paul McCartney once sat quietly through an early AMM session. When asked how he liked the music he said they went on too long.

The fact that

The self-titled is? I agree with Nico (WLWH is still my favorite though) but how is self-titled more important?

>caring about pitchfork, let alone modern pitchfork

every writer thinks that every article is their shining moment and often makes the review about themselves, try too hard to be writerly/poetic, go off on annoying tangents, give arbitrary scores that have zero consistency, etc. It's a pathetic publication

>dude people can't change their opinions lmao

I would say it actually did pioneer alt rock, as it was the first rock album to feature songs that completely disregarded mainstream/pop music conventions, like heroin and black angel's death song. alt-rock broadly just refers to music that breaks from mainstream music conventions, features a distorted sound and has transgressive lyrics, which vu&nico has down to a T, so I think nico absolutely paved the way for subsequent alt-rock bands to emerge, even if they didn't exactly have the 70s/80s/90s alt-rock sound completely down

>alt rock
>ebin genre namedrop
wew

there's absolutely no point in giving a score in the first place if you're going from "total shit" to "really great". A p4k score is less than useless, yet it determines what all their drones buy or dismiss. They just change their opinion based on focus groups so they appear hip

my bad, i quoted wrong, this was meant as a response to this

I don't necessarily disagree with all of these choices, but this list makes me roll my eyes so hard I'm afraid I'm going to lift off like a helicopter. It's like they didn't even think about the correct albums, they just slotted them together like a puzzle to impress the maximum amount of people at how refined their opinions are. This list is *exactly* the positioning and choices you'd expect from pitchfork. It's like some drone just wrote this, trying to display as little independent thought as possible.

that was 1970 boi

>slotted them together like a puzzle to impress the maximum amount of people at how refined their opinions are
Bingo! Which self respecting music critics would include these bands , ?
Either way, they're not worth taking seriously or even discussing. This board is on the verge of death at this point and it doesn't really matter anymore.

Prog cucks BTFO yet again.

>60's
>Prog

Terrible list. Why are there so many medicore albums by artists that only released a handful of good singles?

meme cliché list made by nu males

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

lol wut?

Prog didn't get big until the early 70s.

the most important prog album was in 1969, the fact that its not in the top twenty is sad. it should be top 5 imo

kek

prog is too white and too male

>Beatles member Paul McCartney once sat quietly through an early AMM session. When asked how he liked the music he said they went on too long.
based macca

prog is for autistic neckbeards and shouldn't be in any serious music list

Wot about the Doors?

Forever Changes is incredibly mediocre compared to any Rubber Soul-onwards Beatles record.

> Sgt. pepper not in top 20
plebfork

Sgt Pepper is their plebiest album.

are you nuts? the shitty songs are all George Martins OST for the movie. the A-side is top-notch - All Together Now is one of the most interesting Beatles compositions of all time.

also, with the exception of a few singles everything pre '65 shouldn't is only cared about for cultural reasons, and lacks musical value.

Songs of Love and Hate was released in 1971, so I guess it didn't qualify.

autistic neckbeard prog bands have made some of the best rock albums so youre wrong
fake patrician, equating popularity with "pleb." common mistake

Songs of Leonard Cohen is better than Love and Hate