On my Christmas break from uni...

On my Christmas break from uni, been pretty depressed over the past few months having moved away from my home and now that I'm back I really don't want to leave again. I like my course that I'm on but I fucking hate living in a city which saps out most of the fun from it. I've spoken to my parents but as there financially supporting me they say I have to stick it out for once in my life and they'll be extremely disappointed in me if I leave the course.

tl;dr how do I leave uni without being complete disappointment to my parents?

Which city?

Paisley, Scotland, absolute shithole

>tl;dr how do I leave uni without being complete disappointment to my parents?

Thats easy. You dont. Parents might be gracious at times to make you feel better but there is no way around the thought "my child is a failure at life, and I am a failure as a parent because my child is a failure."

Its right out there with being a drug addict, getting divorced, or being unable to hold a job... there are just certain things parents automatically extrapolate into "I am a failure as a parent" and dropping out of college is one of them.

Yeah you're right there, try a different university.

Haha. I stay not far from there, where you from originally?

Atleast your not working a job that leaves you unable to move at the end of the day, suck it up pussy and carry 60lbs all day every day while working in the bush

Northern Isles

This. Why do you think the suicide rate for college drop outs is so high in Asian countries. The only different between Asia and the west in that case is in the West parents will just cry themselves to sleep at night knowing their child is a failure. In Asia parents would just rather their kid be dead than a failure.

So maybe that is your out OP. Dont disappoint your parents by dropping out. Just kill yourself and make it look like a tragic accident so you dont bring dishonor to your family

I see your point but another 3.5 years is fairly daunting when you don't like living somewhere

Do not leave. Just hang in there. You will be very disappointed in yourself if you end up ending in your parents' garage without any formal education.

Which one? Paisley is a hell hole. Do you stay in the town?

Shetland, and yeah student accommodation

I have decent grades from my last 2 years of education before I got to uni, but no degree which is an issue

Go to Syria and either fight for or against ISIS (depending on your preferences), you daft cunt.

I've been to Orkney. I wouldn't drop out. Cant you get accommodation elsewhere?

Life isnt all about "likeing" everything. Dont be a special little snowflake and think everything should be happy and fun all the time. I spent 8 years living in a tent in the desert getting shot at because it paid for my college and bought me a house when it was over.

Yeah Shetland is just a hundred miles or so north. At this point I'm thinking to try get accommodation next academic year in Glasgow and commute

Sounds rough, but it's not really about me being a snowflake, just I'd rather not live somewhere that makes me feel genuinely depressed. I do see your point though

Glasgow is a lot worse than Paisley mate. Try the towns round about. Will be cheaper, quieter and easier to get to

Parents dont live forever either. Basement dwellers seem to forget that. Its going to be a huge shock to millennials when their parents start hitting 60 and dying off, and the poor little millennials have never had a career job or any real responsibilities in their life.

Life is hard. Life is a lot fucking harder when you dont experience it until you are in your 40s

Any suggestions on which towns?

>that makes me feel genuinely depressed.

Depression is in your head. You arent going to like everything in life. Being sad because you dont like something is going to accomplish nothing and make everything worse. Chin up buttercup. Wake up, work, go to sleep. That is life. If you hate work, you house, your wife, your kids, do what the rest of us do. Drink a bottle of whiskey a night so you can fall asleep. Then wake up and do it all over again.

Neilston, Barrhead, Elderslie there's lots if quiet villages around.

I kinda get what you're going through. I found myself in a similar situation a year ago with the whole wanting to drop out thing. My problem was more with the course that I was taking, rather than accommodation. I'm Czech, and I moved from my small hometown up north to a really quiet part of Prague, so I really like where I live.

But university itself was hell. I was constantly depressed and felt alone and isolated from everyone. I wanted to quit and even talked to my parents about it, and they told me to try to stick it out until the end of my freshman year and if I still hated by then, then I would leave.

And I did stick it out. And found out it wasn't as bad as I thought. It's all about getting used to everything man. Don't drop out at this point, because if you do, you're very likely gonna regret it in the long run.

Hang in there. Hope this ramble makes sense.

I get you, I'm from a small island in the northern Isles. 3 miles wide, 5 miles long (5km and 11kk), very tight community. Huge change going from that to a place where people will probably stab you just for looking at them for a fraction of a second too long

Try moving somewhere else, man, if you have that option. Quiting university after the first few months is a really premature decision.

Cheers mate, I'll have a look at them