the taxpayers are already doing that

Good thread

>tfw bought a Defoe jersey and he left the next season

bump

>club

You mean franchise

>Toronto Football CLUB

What did he mean by this

Almost every MLS team has club because they're copying European names but they are not clubs in the traditional sense. They are franchises

Downvote

>altishit
>bradley

no

Major League Soccer literally will not survive unless they change their retarded conference system.
It works well in the NFL because they play far less games and it works in the NHL and NBA because the playoffs are a best of 7 series.
I get thats the structure in the champions league tournament, but the reason it works there and doesnt work in MLS is because MLS has a retarded way of qualifying.
What they should do is just do what every single other fucking league in the entire god damn world does and have two separate championships, one from a knockout tournament and the other for winning the league.
Its not even like the 20 fans that every club has would be upset about it either because anyone who actively follows MLS probably follows at least one league from abroad as well, and it would just be better for everyone if MLS had the same format.
The MLS cup final will literally never be the Superbowl and MLS management needs to just recognize that and give it up.

Playoffs aren't a problem
I don't know why you would believe it to be a problem

>supporting MLeLS
Wew

I don't know why they even have it structured like that unless it was just to be different from the rest of the world. A lot more people would watch mls if it didn't have that retarded structure.

More people watch Liga MX and they have two playoffs so I don't know what you're getting at
Most Americans wouldn't take a league without playoffs seriously regardless of sport
If you're talking about Yuros then it doesn't matter

I support Blue Jays
No time for this

people have been saying this for 20 years, hasn't happened yet. It's the same argument for the thousandth time, MLS will either be too American or too European... damned if you do damned if you dont.

And yeah, most sporting events will be the Super Bowl, the survival of the league doesn't hinge on having the largest 1 day sports event.

Research the NASL because they've proposed the same exact thing you're saying.

any team with normal, non-hipster supporters? if so I support those guys

Sup Forums overblows the amount of hipster fans, its usually a very small segment of a teams fanbase, but if by hipster you mean "liberal" then yes, there are lots of those, MLS is the de facto liberal sports league here.

You'd have to be an american to understand, copying Europe does nothing for us, we don't want to be the same as every other league anyway. the Parity and playoffs ARE what makes the league entertaining to watch.

they arent inherently a problem but im just saying that in a domestic football league having the playoff tournament be of more importance than the league championship, which is not really rewarded in MLS, is fucking stupid.
Imagine how stupid it would be if the FA cup was the sole determinant in who the EPL league champion was
In the NFL where there are only 16 games in the regular season, or the NHL and NBA where the playoffs are best of 7 it works. It doesnt work in MLS, it needs to change

>Imagine how stupid it would be if the FA cup was the sole determinant in who the EPL league champion was
I'd think that would be great
You could have the potential for a Leicester every year
Also give midtable teams a reason to go on
You've obviously have never watched the MLS playoffs otherwise you'd know how exciting they are

ok lad

>tfw have lost hope ever since that final against seattle

at least I have cousins there so I can bandwagon these guys too

t. Zhang Wei

>buying jerseys with another mans name on it

toronto is multi cultural as fuck, lots of european fans. It's much better than in the states. I mean, it was crinegy as fuck in the beginning, but its gotten so much better.

>redditronto
No

The problem with the MLS is it's in a terrible paradox. Americans hate Europe intrinsically, and so the MLS will never take off until their hipster fans and their cringe-inducingly artificial club names (looking at you Real Salt Lake) become more Americanized. The sport must be treated as an American thing. I'm not saying we need tailgates and cheerleaders, but maybe less scarfs and artificial chants.

However, the other problem is that Americans love tradition. They gravitate toward the storied, historic teams (Packers, Steelers, Yankees, Cardinals) because they love the pageantry of that. For now, the MLS has very little tradition and history. Perhaps some day it will, but it also seems to have that problem that teams founded in the modern era have where there team names are so pointless and squeaky clean that you could never identify with them. Like all MLS teams names that aren't some lame Euro-ripoff are WNBA tier. The names have to be something that the people of the area can identify with. I think the reason for shitty names in the modern era is because of political-correctness and shitty executives not wanting to commit to one location, but thats not really relevant.

My main point is that soccer in America has to grow on it's own, organically, and the MLS hasn't done that at all.

>the MLS
Most of what you said is bullshit

Whatever you say Eichmann

Shut the fuck up and leave if you're so triggered, Doyle

Fuck off Vincent

The problem is that with such a long season there is pretty much no incentive to give a shit for every game, and teams that do that should be rewarded for it by being crowned champion.
Whoever wins the knockout tournament is a champion too, but not THE champion.
>how exciting they are
oh boy here we fucking go.
The talent in MLS is fucking shit so the only reason you find it exciting is out of spite for everyone who shits on your favorite "league"

Man look at this yurocuck
There maybe a problem with motivation at the start but I wouldn't sacrifice the playoffs to fill that need
Who gives a fuck about who "deserves" the title?
Most soccer watchers in the US watch a league with playoffs so I really doubt that's the issue with MLS
>enjoying it out of spite
Probably the most entertaining two-legged tie in the history of soccer was the Toronto-Montreal semifinal last year
I enjoy the playoffs because they're memetastic
I hear Mexico's are even memeier but they have two a year so they lose their shine

>play in MLS
>call your team a "football club"
Can Toronto do anything right?

>Zhang Wei
you tried, but I'm a Li

No

>Redditattle
No

>Pooland
>Chinkouver
No

It's the Canadian way

>my
Are you a shareholder?

>More people watch Liga MX and they have two playoffs
Doesn't Liga MX use a format that's very popular in Latin America. I thought many top leagues in LAm use the same format as Liga MX. It would make sense that they structured it like that in that case.