youtu.be/eYRC14UicI0
youtube.com/watch?v=uxtqbKga_HM
youtube.com/watch?v=c0zo9TL3H40
youtube.com/watch?v=g1wW6yPDqwY
youtube.com/watch?v=p3IyeexTiQE
youtube.com/watch?v=S1KPqet74EI
youtube.com/watch?v=2kKNT3PdDkE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do I always imagine some hipsterexic nu-male making these threads?

Around 20. Started to listen to Black metal again at 24.

Because they're afraid of metal, and they obviously don't understand that a good 90% of metal is ironic and over the top, and nobody really takes it seriously. I bet they think metal fans are actually school shooting satanists too.

i started listening to other shit around the time i was 16 or 17 i think, dunno if i really grew out of it though, just broadened my horizons a lot
if you mean 'at what age did i decide i didnt want to look like i listened to metal' then i guess 15, because i looked like shit with long hair

I imagine a fat, fedora wearing neckbeard virgin making these threads because metal fans tend to hate themselves.

kek this thread

After I saw this thread. I think post-punk is my favorite now, am I correct?

I thought I might have, but then I listened to a bunch of Amon Amarth and Dying Fetus today.

because it is

17. It's crazy because I used to be obsessed.

Who does this fag think he is?

a Maggot

Those Burzum guys sure took it seriously

I'm not a fucking tree

>Burzum
>guys

Probably not, also the KKK was more of a real life Sup Forums get-together.

Around 2011-12
I started listening to 90s trance almost exclusively and haven't gone back, save the occasional metal song here and there

Members of Burzum:
Varg Vikernes – vocals, lyrics, rhythm and lead guitar, bass guitar, drum kit, synthesizer (1991–present)
Samoth – bass guitar (1992)

they had nothing to do with kkk WASP soyboys though

I fear the Jews are turning metal into the new normie genre, one small baby step at a time. First with Chester and now with Marylin, wont be long now until they start killing real metal musicians.

14-15

Burzum is just Varg

ah yes, the neighbor of the beast

metal and all derivatives are a fucking waste of energy, music and most of all TIME.

You must be metal incarnate, then.

Never listened to it, nowadays I like Korpiklaani and Arkona, listen to them from time to time but because they have folk elements.

I'm 30 and I'm just now realizing how great death metal is.

It's been normie since 80's.

I dont understand this "grew out of metal" meme,

When i was 17 i stopped listening to metal, deeming it too stale and boring to enjoy anymore,

Literally a year later, after a rather long psychedelic/post punk phase i somehow got back in to it and i could never not listen to meal as of that day

>demilich
>carcass
>dark throne

Are some choice bands for the lame man trying to get into /real meal/

17 but i'm getting back into it now.
Currently growing out my hair and buying the shirts I threw out again.
21 right now.

Never got into it. Tried some acclaimed metal albums and the result was always the same: the instrumental moments were fine, but when vocals hit and the typical metal sound, I have the urge to turn it off.

I could picture a hiphop fan, early 20's who describes rappers as "modern poets"

it's some narrow-minded buttblasted beta

>implying I was ever in to metal

Dont go straight into heavier metal, e.g suffocation

I started with judas priest, which led to megadeth and metallica, which led to sodom and kreator, which led to death, and now im into worm rot, carcass, meshuggah and meme bands alike

Oh shit my shit posting trip from /gg/ is still on

You are right, from what I heard from Metallica in the past (only couple of songs like Master of Puppets or Orion), I liked it. I think I'll listen to Metallica and Black Sabbath for starters.

I grew out of old man metal very quickly since it made me cringe listening to gramps when he was a younglin'.
I now listen to metalcore and pop punk, look fresh af and am drowning in pussy.

NEVER!

Never did, just no longer listen to it exclusively like I did as an edgy teenager

>when the vocals hit I turn it off
Ever tried listening to any metal album with clean vocals?

around 18, still listen to Chuck Schuldiner from time to time though

Metallica is shit, don't do it.

This is who you want to be listening to
youtube.com/watch?v=q7c-Ifc4z1M

They're the best speed/power metal band by FAR, and have even been credited with creating the genre.

This.

Helloween is a great starting point but I'd go with Keeper of the Seven Keys rather than their new material.

Honestly I think you should listen to the entire discography in order, but you can skip chameleon and pink bubbles once you understand why they're so hated. Helloween's music is so varied though that it'll give you a good idea of what you like and what you don't.

That's a dangerous look.

>inb4 Blind Guradian

What do you think is going to happen to him in hell for this?

Why is everybody so crazy for Blind Guardian? I mean, they're better than Hammerfall or any kind of 'unicorn metal', but that's not saying much.

never really got into it. a lot of it feels like really good instrumentalists jerking off over how quickly they can play a barrage of notes and chords.

I think Hansi's singing and/or the riffs are doing it.

>90% of metal is ironic and over the top
>nobody really takes it seriously

>posts the 10% who literally almost ruined metal for everyone
I love black metal, but the Norwegian guys were a bunch of edgy fags. Great music, shit people.

this

Im 56 years old and still listen to meal
yolooo ask me :)

>what is doom metal
>what is atmospheric black metal
>what is NWOBHM
Yeah, technical death metal and thrash (to some extent) are like that, but not all metal is fast and overly technical. A lot of it is slow, sludgy, atmospheric, etc.

can somebody explain the appeal of growling vocals to me? it just seems like all that stuff sounds exactly the same, it gets old FAST

Metal vocalist here. Just treat them like another instrument. If the vocals sound boring like that, the vocalist is probably not very good/versatile. There is a degree of skill/technique involved, but that varies with different metal genres. Some genres require more technical vocals than others. Deathcore is very skill-based, whereas black metal requires less vocal skill. Some people appreciate them because of how aggressive they are (usually death metal and grindcore fans) some people like how atmospheric they are if they're high pitched screams or shrieks drenched in layers of reverb (black metal fans) some people care about the technique (deathcore fans usually care about how extremely how a singer can growl, or how high they can scream) etc.

I do treat them like another instrument. the thing is they don't use any range. I listen to like Zeni Geva and the stuff they're doing seems so rarified that I just don't get it. and the bands have this compulsive rhythm to them, they just go on with one beat for 5 minutes and call it a song. And it might as well be any of the last 10 songs. Sure, there's all the technical bullshit, but there's no interesting structure for me

Real grind nerd fag here and i despise deathcore vocals, they are the fucking worst.
Say yes to shitty grindcore vocals, and no to awful nucore vocals (with feelings, depth and wankery)
youtube.com/watch?v=6tjcCA53zos

Listen to this shit:
youtube.com/watch?v=2AIJuRGYmWk

There is no one like Seth Putnam. I love that he sounds like an angry cat getting crushed to death on that ep.

yeah i like some metal dude i just never got INTO it.

Try out some of these. They're all different metal genres, with different vocal techniques. Hopefully this shows how varied harsh vocals can be.

Deathcore. If you can get past the overtly edgy lyrics, Phil Bozeman is an extremely talented metal vocalist. His low growls are fantastic, and he incorporates a nice mix of growls and high screams.
youtu.be/BO_ShuBwJDs

Death Metal. Donald Tardy's vocals are aggressive and growly, but pretty easy to understand. Not as guttural and technical as Phil, but they still sound angry as fuck.
youtu.be/cTSnXJp0Png

Atmospheric Black Metal. Nathan Weaver's vocals are very atmospheric and drenched in reverb. They should be treated more like an instrument.
youtu.be/lYpcYH5HelI

Thrash. Tom Araya's vocals are more shouts than screams or growls. Pretty easy to understand, but still very aggressive and angry.
youtu.be/a_7TMeDTX_U

Technical/Progressive Death Metal. Chuck Schuldiner's vocals are high screams, but they're very easy to understand.

If you don't like any of this, there's always more tame metal like Iron Maiden, Rainbow, and Sabbath. They're all fantastic bands.
youtu.be/eYRC14UicI0

Woops, that last link is the Technical/Progressive Death Metal one.

I was like 24. I was already way more into punk and rock. Now I would be embarrassed to be playing metal out of a car with the windows down and the volume medium - loud.

These are actually some pretty decent examples.

17. Glad I did... today I'm all about western art music and jazz.

You were probably never really into metal to begin with.

Sometimes it compliments the overall sound.
Acid Witch is my favorite example of this, with echoing sound, stupidly heavy riffs and corny synth samples it would sound odd with clear vocals.
youtube.com/watch?v=uxtqbKga_HM
On their second album, vocalist changed so its little more clear.
youtube.com/watch?v=c0zo9TL3H40

that's a possiblity, but I remember quite enjoying some of black metal and power metal records back then. And to be honest I still like some of those

Hence "hipsterextic nu-male".

Both mean the same thing.

At age 20 I went back to listening to my favorite genre which is metal. Too bad user, too bad.

I'm I actually loved the song from your first link. It's interesting, a lot is going on there.

thanks guys, I appreciate the examples

LOL

Rusfag living in Norway here and asshole - you obviously know jack shit.
Norwegians are far from edgy. They're boring or chill.

You want edgy black metal folks, you go to... pretty much anywhere else. South america, russia, ukraine, whatever. Lots of other places to find those edgy and, sometimes, absolutely insane fans. Arms are cut, acting like trolls or scream their lungs out at concert queues for no apparent reason. You have to remember that they can be violent and out of their minds too.

Norwegian black metal fans stand compeletely still at shows and talk very reserved. Most are quite intelligent too. But as much as they love their music, they focus on other things in life for the most parts.

tl;dr
You're fucking stupid as shit and I think people in your life knows.

Got dumped by my high school love my first week of college. Didn't feel big and powerful., got into punk which soon lead to the smiths. They call me Melon 2.0

death metal is the real gangsta rap. finding bands/albums i like in this genre gives me great pleasure.

I remember being 14 being this "elite" metalhead, going to local gigs every weekend, buying underground band's cassettes, etc. I used to think I looked cool as hell with my metal t-shirts, boots, etc., hanging around with other metalheads and shit, but holy shit, now I cringe at those times, like every "true" metalhead is an autistic fucking loser without self-awareness, I remember seeing these 40 yo old guys who were drunk all the time and talking about metal all day, like some badasses, now I see them as manchilds who all their personalities are based on the music equivalent to "Lord of the Rings" or Aleister Crowley books. It's pretty fucking pathetic. And now that I don't hang around with metalheads, I realize metalheads are a joke for everyone else, they pretend to be this badass manly guys, but they're seen as edgy manchilds by everyone else, people laugh at them, like they do with otakus or furries. The good thing is I realized early of how autistic I was at the time.

I never really went through a metal phase. I realized this at one point and tried to force myself to go through a metal phase when I was 19, but it never really stuck. Different strokes I suppose

18. Early 2009.

I still like a lot of metal music, but it's certainly not one of my favorite kinds of music anymore.

That being said, Judas Priest in the 70s was phenomenal.

>growing out of music
>ever

and people that can't into metal miss out on some of the most amazing music the world has seen. sucks for you
youtube.com/watch?v=g1wW6yPDqwY

The same age I grew out of listening to music

oh wait never

Still into it, mostly melodic death metal.

How do I get into Opeth? I've tried their early stuff, but I could never enjoy it. Most prog sounds really wanky to me, how can I appreciate it?

14 is when I stopped wanting to be a metal musician but I still listen to it regularly.

13 but boris and sleep are nice

they perfected their songwriting as their career progressed - early it was quite direct and not very inspired, but since ghost reveries (2005) their music has become very jazz and classical influenced. It's the mixture of metal, folk, prog, classical and jazz that makes them one of the best bands in rock music imo. What did you not enjoy specifically? They have plenty of different styles - harsh metal, acoustic folk and pure prog since 2011. And they're really not wanky at all (except maybe Black Rose Immortal which is honestly super pretentious), they play with A LOT of feeling

For me it's the bizarre changes and time signatures. I generally listen to a lot of riff-based black metal like Immortal and Darkthrone.

It was ironic church burning to metaphysically protest publicity stunts.

how come when i forced this meme years ago i kept getting bans but the mods don't care about this guy?

then i'd just tell you to listen to orchid and morningrise but since you don't like them i dunno then. try these:
youtube.com/watch?v=p3IyeexTiQE
youtube.com/watch?v=S1KPqet74EI
youtube.com/watch?v=2kKNT3PdDkE