Grateful Dead

The Grateful Dead are one of the most underrated and talented bands of the psychedelic era and even beyond that
>Jerry Garcia is hippie Robert Fripp
>combined jazz, psychedelic rock, reggae, and a bunch of other shit into a unique sound
>"They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones who do what they do"
>literally have a reputation for playing better live than on albums
>Garcia is the most recorded guitarist in history

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b9SKxL9CnW0
archive.org/details/gd1968-08-21.sbd.cousinit.17689.shnf/gd68-08-21d1t10.shn
youtube.com/watch?v=KffwyECiNkA&list=PL1aAYqb0p4G23tsx3KeXu1i7hKYFUB7JP
youtube.com/watch?v=_LJDFfEluyM
youtube.com/watch?v=jCL-DjG-6bI
youtube.com/watch?v=4ez-VledH_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=-1WUEOhbgbw
youtube.com/watch?v=luAqu8VX5wo&t=17s
youtu.be/jCL-DjG-6bI?t=1220
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally my moms homeless man

you mom is homeless or he looks like her homeless boyfriend?

where do I start with them?

They suck. Their chart positions confirm that. The only way to not suck is having your songs at the top 3 places on the Billboard hot 100 as The Beatles did in 1964.

they're great but it's too bad garcia wasn't open to hip hop

youtube.com/watch?v=b9SKxL9CnW0

Workingman's Dead
American Beauty
Europe '72

thx duders

They dead had I would say four or five stages of development.

early or Primal Dead from '67-'69,Country-JazzImrov Dead '70-76,Rockand Roll Dead '77-'85 and then possible Post Jerry's Coma '86-'95 when they were just doing it to feed the beast of an organization they'd built and were all but washed up.

to suggest one can start anywhere is not going to work with the GD.

You should sample some of the early stuff like this; archive.org/details/gd1968-08-21.sbd.cousinit.17689.shnf/gd68-08-21d1t10.shn

then on to the early 70's youtube.com/watch?v=KffwyECiNkA&list=PL1aAYqb0p4G23tsx3KeXu1i7hKYFUB7JP

then into the deeper exploratory jamming in the mid 70's, youtube.com/watch?v=_LJDFfEluyM yea this is a 45 minute song...

then check out the epic '77 may tour run, youtube.com/watch?v=jCL-DjG-6bI

then the early 80's of which I saw about 100 shows including this; youtube.com/watch?v=4ez-VledH_Q

and the rest I'd leave off for now

addendum; you may have noticed I selected all Live recordings... the Dead themselves always insisted they were a Live band and their studio recordings never expressed what they wanted ... they have their place but they fail to convey what they did Live which is what we loved best.

europe 72 btfo most other music i've heard to be honest desu

not even into "jam" like that, these niggers were on another level entirely.

What do Dead heads say when they run out of weed?

>Man this band sucks

from that Tour youtube.com/watch?v=-1WUEOhbgbw

I always recommend that people start with GD's '77 show at Cornell. This is widely considered the holy grail of Dead shows; it was even archived in the Library of Congress. This track is one of the biggest highlights of that show, for me, but both sets are incredible and worth a listen in it's entirety.

youtube.com/watch?v=luAqu8VX5wo&t=17s

youtu.be/jCL-DjG-6bI?t=1220

I wanted to note the segment from 21:00 to 24:00 minutes as part of what they were good at .. after several minutes of seemingly aimless indecypherable jamming creating a sense of the chaos of unbeing there suddenly emerges as through the cosmic fog the radiant form of Uncle John's Band.. a protogalactic genesis of epic proportions.

They are not underrated whatsoever. Also Dead Heads make me not want to get into them or talk about them publicly.

I'm a Grateful Dead fan and I also find Dead Heads to be too fucking annoying. If you can ignore them, then they're an altogether pretty fucking good band.

I liked American Beauty.
Where should I go next?

Workingman's Dead if you are limiting yourself to their studio output.

After Workingman's Dead I would listen to some of their live stuff like

Cornell 5/8/77 and Europe '72