/vinyl/

/vinyl/
This thread is for the discussion of vinyl, and vinyl only. Please do not post about your CDs or cassette tapes in this thread. Please keep memes, low-effort replies, and shitposting to a minimum. These threads are meant to be mature, in-depth discussions of the superior format, for true collectors and serious music fans. If somebody comes into this thread to slam vinyl, or buying physical media, ignore them. Do not give them any (you)s, and try to keep the thread on topic instead of arguing. Here are a few questions to get the discussion started.

>what kind of turntable do you have?
>do you mostly buy new or used records?
>what is your most valuable record?
>what have you purchased recently?
>how do you store/protect your records?

Feel free to discuss reissues, post pictures of your sound system, links to your discogs profile, or whatever else.

Other urls found in this thread:

loveandrecords.ca/
soundcloud.com/electrospinner2/baltimore-oriole
uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Audio-Technica LP120
I used to buy new records and reissues, almost exclusively, but lately I've only been buying used records and first pressings.
Probably a white label promo copy of Master Of Reality. Its only worth about $80-100, though.
Mostly 60s psych, and early 80s thrash.
I use rice paper inner sleeves, and I place the jackets in poly sleeves, with the opening on top. I store LPs on my bookshelf, and 7" records in a little carrying case.

There are no serious music fans on this board, and everybody here is too immature for this level of discussion This thread will get less than 10 replies, and then 404. You'd be better off starting a meme thread if you want replies.

Technics SL-MA01

I barely buy records anymore. I used to just buy used records, but usually buy new records if an album I really like has been repressed.

Lil Ugly Mane - Mistah Thug Isolation
Avalanches - Since I Left You

Got two copies of the Das Ist DAF boxset for $25 each due to a preorder pricing error. They retail for $140.

More valuable records in plastic sleeves,. 7"s in a box. Everything sits on a record shelf with doors

What 80s thrash have you gotten recently? That's my shit

I have a green bootleg of Ride The Lightning, a reissue of Show No Mercy, and I'm looking to buy an old copy of Fistful Of Metal.

Audio-Technica LP120
>do you mostly new or used records?
mostly new, it's hard to find interesting stuff that's old in my area, it's mostly Christian rock or classical.
it isn't even a record, it's the original '77 Live 2xCD, but for records it's probably Electric Pure Land.
Wooden Veil - s/t
in an industrial milk container

>tfw just bought the 2009 deluxe reissue of Daydream Nation

Has anybody else stopped buying reissues all together? Original analog pressings of older albums sound fantastic. The reissues are always digitally remastered, which sucks.

>in an industrial milk container
My man

What's the most you guys have spent on a vinyl? Considering going for a $77 one right now, but it feels silly.

What is it?

>>what kind of turntable do you have?
>Pioneer PL-510 with a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge
>>do you mostly buy new or used records?
>a healthy mix between the two, if something is available vintage for a reasonable price I'll get that over a new repressing
>>what is your most valuable record?
>Either Pink Floyd- P.U.L.S.E or a low limited number Nirvana- Nevermind MFSL pressing
>>what have you purchased recently?
>Just got David Gilmour- Live at Pompeii today and I'm spinning it now actually
>>how do you store/protect your records?
>I use rice paper inner sleeves, and I place the jackets in poly sleeves whenever possible

I'm a noobie in this. Why some of my vinyls sound slightly faster than they should?

Have to get this question out of the way: Are you playing LPs at 45rpm instead of 331/3?

>What's the most you guys have spent on a vinyl?

$160 for the eponymous VU album

Yes
disgusting

> my table
Rega RP1 and Ortofon 2M red
> new or old vinyl
Pretty evenly split
> most valuable
Zappa, original "200 Motels" and "Freak Out", and a weird one, Joe Tremaine - Hot Jazz. All three around $150/max on discogs
>recent gets
Gogol Bordello - Gypsie Punk, because lol
>vinyl care
Stored away from sunlight, all sleeves are new plastic, in the process of replacing paper inner liners with plastic. I clean with a carbon brush, and an Orbitrac 3 if it's bad.

I have two setups, one back at home and one at college, but I'll talk about my college one here

U-Turn Orbit Custom
A mix of both, depending on the store and the prices. I try and buy original pressings but I'm not super anal about it
A minty fresh OG pressing of ITCOCK, around $40
The new Iglooghost album, a promo copy of Larks' Tongues In Aspic, the new Alvvays, and I made a preorder for a Conan demo collection coming out in November
In a Eurolite carrying case, its a little cheap but good for when I want to fly and take some

Yeah, if the original versions aren't stupidly expensive I almost only go for original or at least older editions. I got a recent press of Ride The Lightning for really cheap though and it's actually one of my best sounding records

$150 for a 5 LP Phish box set

>an original Freak Out! for $150
What condition is yours in? I inherited my Uncle's copy and it sounds good but its nowhere near mint.

Almost mint. The record itself is clean and almost no click and tick. One bottom corner has a minor rub mark, other than that, just a bit of a color fade. Same for the Joe Tremaine.
200 motel.....not nearly as nice.

Well, lucky you man, where'd you pick it up?

The Zappa's
One of the vendors at a show last year,
loveandrecords.ca/
The Tremaine, at a local thrift shop for a dollar.

Technics SL-D2
Used when I worked at a second hand shop, now mixed.
Sunn O))) Monoliths and Dimensions, unless im unaware of the older shit I have
Tim Hecker's Virgins and Antlers Hospice
Store them on a record shelf or in the basement in boxes, a handful are on display without the sleeves

Anyone recommend vinyls that play like they were meant to be experienced on vinyl?
As pretentious as it sounds I get that feeling from most GY!BE albums. They know how to package an album and how to take advantage of the conclusion a side has when it ends.

Pretty basic recent buys. All came to like $15. The Sgt Pepper is beat to shit but the inner tracks play fine.

I bought an audio technica lp60 a couple of years ago and have seen a lot of negative things said, but I've never had a problem. It's basic as shit but it's never done any damage.

Bump

Gorgeous

LP120
Mix of both, usually buy new if I can't find them used at a local record store
I'm pretty sure Blonde is worth like $150
Some Japanese koto classics and Pet Sounds from a local record store, got both for like $5 total
I'll keep them on a bin in a shelf under where I have my record player set up

Shillin'

>what kind of turntable(s) do you have?
Music Hall mmf-5 w/ Goldring 1012x cartridge
Yamaha P-350 w/ 1980's ADC XLM Mkii Improved Stylus cartridge
Dual 1019 w/ Shure M97xe cartridge

A mix of both

Don't really know

Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface

IKEA Kallax, or appropriately sized box for overflow

Some semi-recent purchases. I haven't bought records in a while, but I like this thread, so here's a free bump.

Damn, I forgot about the Locust. I had everything they put out but sold it all 10 years ago when I was sleeping on a couch and broke. Makes me sad.

Future Days is really somethin

Are LP120s actually good? I can't afford a real Technics 1200.

How do you like that Orbit? I work at a record store and we carry those. I've thought about picking one up. They sound nice, but I don't like how the belt wraps around the plate. Is it a pain in the ass to change between 45 and 33?

anyone here /rare vinyl/?

thinking of jumping on a few such as ta-ku, nujabes, tyler etc. any upcoming limited releases that I should follow?

It honestly kind of is, I've had days where I just cant get it to slip back on and its really frustrating. Even brand new, the belt is really loose, supposedly to limit hearing any hum from the motor, and I don't hear any of that with mine so I guess it works in that sense.

Once the belt is on its fine, I've never had it slip off or anything, but putting it on or changing from 33 to 45 can be a bitch. If you have trouble getting it to stay on, put the belt in the freezer for like 20 minutes, it stiffens it up just a little bit, enough to be able to slide it on.

Other than that its a quality turntable, I'd recommend it for sure.

The only other Iglooghost record is now like $150+, so if you care, maybe pick up Neo Wax Bloom. With shipping from the UK to the US it totalled like $35 for me.

They're decent, but not nearly as good as SL1200.

Just picked this up having only listened to God Bless Ohio. It was pretty spur of the moment. Fucking 4lp limited edition. Couldn't pass it up

>preordered Hex LP on Bandcamp not long before it was released
>still hasn't shipped
>they told me to wait two weeks
Who already got a copy? This is an album I've been wanting forever to own in vinyl

how much did this cost you?

$38.99

>Tomboy box set

We would probably be friends.

Lathe guy here. Long time no post.

If anyone cares to listen, I just made my first "clean" recording on the 1944 Presto K-8 record lathe I've been restoring. Fresh capacitors and NOS output tubes make a big difference. Last step is to get the cutting head professionally re-built.

soundcloud.com/electrospinner2/baltimore-oriole

Cut at 33 to conserve space on the acetate. The noise floor likely would have been a lot lower if I had cut at 78, like this machine is really meant to do. Hoping to get this equipment to a state where I can do some direct-to-disc recording sessions.

Hi /vinyl/, only started collecting not too long ago and I was wondering where is the best place outside of ebay and snowrecords to get some Japanese records. Reissues dont really bother me.

Looking for some old anime soundtracks and funk or jazz records.

Oh shit, I forgot about this. I need to pick one up before the price spikes

that's pretty good, a nice purchase :)

Hell yeah man, I bought this too. Pretty pissed it didn't come with a download code though.

An older Sansui. Not sure of the model. It was my dad's turntable when he was in college and he gave it to me when he heard I was getting into vinyl. It makes him super happy it's still getting use ~35 years after he bought it.
Mostly new, but I do also get a good amount of used.
First pressing Fruit Tree boxset by Nick Drake. If boxsets don't count, then either Deathconsciousness or Chinese Football
Red House Painters - Old Ramon smoky clear reissue, used copy of Talking Heads - True Stories
Important records in outer sleeves, everything on a shelf. My dad got me some milk crates to use when I move tho
>What's the most you guys have spent on a vinyl?
about 130$ on the John Maus boxset

ITT: people who are going to feel massive buyer's remorse when they grow older and wiser

Trips of truth

70s Akai setup :) and MESHUGGAH

My main receiver is being repaired atm :(

Cool tape deck

other half if anyone cares

Nope. It'all ok.

Bump

Is anybody else still waiting on this fucking meme to come in the mail? Did it get delayed again?

I'm pretty sure they're gonna ship it to me in November at the very least.

Are they going to make new ones? I missed it :(

Wasn't it supposed to ship out last month?

It got delayed. I think it was originally set to release on September 25th.

A pair of PLX 500 hooked up to a DJM250mk

Most of what I get are new releases so I tend to buy them in mint condition.

A #1 test pressing of an unknown album which was gifted to me by a Discogs seller. Songs are ok but I really liked the "unique" test pressing status

Preordered the 3LP release of Time Spent Away From U by DJ Seinfeld. Also, I'm waiting for 6 other records to arrive but my postal service is complete shit

I really need to buy some of those rice paper inner sleeves but most of them are stored as they arrived

Here's most of what I've got.

Can /vinyl/ be a daily thread? This is a nice thread.

Can someone recommend me a turntable?
I recently got into vinyl collecting, and I was a cheap faggot and got one of those shitty crosley suitcase turntables.

If you're looking for a relatively cheap one that kicks the shit out of a Crosley, pick up an LP60 from Audio-Technica. They're only about $100 and they work fine. Anything really good will probably start around $300, though.

thanks lad

A Pro-Linear AT-1600, it's a local defunct brand from the early seventies. A family friend gifted it to me. (Pic is related but isn't mine, it looks exactly the same down to slipmat however!)
Probably an equal mix of both.
Probably a Banzai pressing of Show No Mercy by Slayer -- $60 USD / $~75 CAD
I bought that Slayer record this past August, and the last record I bought was God Is Good by OM. My Mom brought me home a Joe Cocker LP from the thrift store she volunteers at last weekend.
I'm not an expert at this, I just use whatever plastic sleeves I have -- a lot of my records don't have any protection. I need to get on that but to do so I'd need to go downtown since my local record store doesn't sell sleeves.

It's definitely a beginner turntable, but it's going to be way better than a Crosley. I owned one for about 5 years, and it worked fine for me.

shitty photo, but I recently picked this up.
pretty good quality, especially for the year it's from

This is probably my most valuable record at the moment.

Any update on the Loveless reissue? Kevin Shields teased it on Twitter almost a year ago.

Just save up and buy a first pressing, mate.

Do you guys buy your records online, or from a store? I used to buy online, almost exclusively, but lately I've been going to record stores more often and only using sites like discogs for really obscure shit.

I am using Teac's players
Both new and old are bought
Recently Jazz is gathering at the main

poorfag here
only have money for one of these two albums, which should i get?

Technics SL-D3
Mostly old used ones, but I have plenty of newer albums in my collection.
The Aphex Twin Day for Night 12"
Ryuichi Sakamoto's Async, which is probably my AOTY.
Currently in boxes

A lot of you have rice paper inner sleeves. Do you just replace the paper ones they come with? What's the benefit?

are picture discs really that bad? I got the blade runner OST on record store day, but everybody's been telling me the quality will be terrible. But standard BR vinyls are expensive as fuck

yes, but i still keep the paper ones. the paper inner sleeves can scruff records and leave paper residue on them

Project Carbon DC with a Red OM2 cartridge.

Mostly new, but I'm still new to all this, so I'm sure my second hand records will catch-up over time. It's just easier to find what I want new right now.

Monetarily? None of them are anything special. Personally? Probably my copy of Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit. I've had it for a long time, at least 6 or 7 years now. I'm only just now able to play it, and it sounds fucking great despite any poor treatment it may have had.

I picked up Burton Cummings' self-titled solo album today after someone recommended it. I was sold on it after I heard he sung in The Guess Who. Has to be good, right?
I also bought Grant Green's Idle Moments yesterday. All-time favourite jazz record.

Stock packaging on a shelf with my movie collection/artbooks/etc.

Yet to buy online. Convenient as it may be, it doesn't sound fun. And I'd like to support local guys.

Heart, man. Always Heart.

Read the guide. LP60 damages records. You can get a really great vintage player for under $150 if you scout Craigslist for a few weeks.

pls respond

Nice, I got a copy too. How much did you pay? Mine was $40 at the record store

You can sell records and get some money back tho

Maybe not daily, but weekly? I just wouldn't want the magic to get spoiled and memers to be tempted to come in and mess with the vibe. Agreed, its very comfy in here

uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

A great starter table that won't fuck your records up, and if you don't feel like scouting around for a vintage one

Pro-ject Debut Carbon
Only used, I used to buy new records when I was younger but I lost interest
According to Discogs, The Mountain Goats & Kaki King - Black Pear Tree
Yesterday I bought an early 70s press of Sonny Rollins' A Night at the Village Vanguard for $5
Poly outer sleeves and disckeeper plastic inner sleeves. I was everything with a vintage Discwasher and use an anti static brush

Yeah, they're very noisy.

>LP60 damages records
This is absolute bullshit spouted by retards who read a few infographics and think it makes them an expert. I owned one for years and it didn't leave a mark on a single one of my records. Don't embarrass yourself.

>If I can't *see* any damage, it doesn't happen.

Come on, man.

Picture discs are inherently lower-quality pressings. They're made from a sandwich of clear sheets rather than extruded vinyl. Consequently they commonly suffer from higher noise floors and also tend to degrade faster.

Not to say you shouldn't enjoy the hell out of what you got. Picture discs are a category of collectible all their own. They're simply meant to be display objects when you come down to it, with the added novelty of playability.

I mean, shit, I bought the Nightmare Before Christmas OST double album 10 years ago and still haven't played it cause I don't want it to degrade.

Right, because I said "mark" I literally meant visible signs of damage alone.
None of the records I ever played on the LP60 have any signs of damage, visible or otherwise, that wouldn't come from standard use on any other turntable. Don't try to save face just because you bought into hyperbolic elitism.

A turntable without a properly calibrated counterweight will track heavy and will damage records.
This is a fact.
You getting pissy doesn't negate a fact.
You can't tell the difference? Great. Rock on.
It's still a fact.

Most times it's a pain to find anything decent for a good price, and the fun's really gone out of sifting through hundreds of "the very best of shakin stevens vol 2" until you find an overpriced Jam record that you're not sure you already own or not. so online it is.

Objectively speaking, yes, that's true. With an LP60 though, you're talking about "damage" that realistically is just slightly more noticeable surface noise manifesting maybe a couple to a few dozen spins sooner than if you had a properly balanced counterweight.
I've owned one. I've listened to records that have been played on it on higher quality TTs that I've since upgraded to and the difference is so unnoticeable as to be a non-issue. The LP60 is well reviewed as a starter table by a large number of audio outlets and there are few to no reports of any kind of damage to the records played on it, unless you're an audiophile whose livelihood depends on the condition of your records being as near to utterly immaculate as possible.
Yes, it's a fact, but you're vastly overstating the magnitude.

I have a shitton of disks from my parents but no turntable to play them.
I'm a poorfag but i've heard cheap turntables straight up ruin disks so what price should i be looking for?

oh neat, thanks for the update guy

just got an email

vimeo.com/236745523

>Objectively speaking, yes, that's true.
Thanks for agreeing with me. Again, not worth dropping $100 on an LP60 when you can find better for cheaper and learn more in the process.

You can search and wait through Craigslist or your local thrift shops for quality TT's under $100. They might need some basic work done like a new belt or cartridge. Just need to read up on whatever model you're looking at.