ITT: Albums Americans can never understand

ITT: Albums Americans can never understand

Gimme a download to this album please

It has always amazed me that pic posted is a favorite among U.S. Who fans, and yet all the references go right over their head.

What do Americans know about Mods and Rockers?

The album is an American favorite, but yet is quintessentially British in every way.

only British baby boomers are going to really get that cultural context, but many can relate to the "troubled young man unsure of his identity thing"

also, daltrey's voice, ox's bass, and moon's drumming on that album are goat

ITT: pompous Brits

Use Soulseek

I know you know you're just a little bitch

You have a point about the whole Angry Young Man uncertain about his future theme. I guess, that alone is universal, but let's not forget that the album was dedicated to all the kids who saw The Who at The Goldhawk Road social club back in 1964.

And you are also correct on the musical prowess of the musicians involved, but why no mention of Pete? Maybe he's just bashing chords, compared to the other three, but it's a GOOD bashing, all the same.

Ill stick with my Desmond Dekker and Toots and the Maytals you poseur.

ska is a shit meme genre

Well, in the documentary they said that the booklet that came with the two LP set contained a bunch of photos and a text version of the story so that people that were not british or simply did not know about Mods and Rockers could "get into the story"

For second wave Ska or "Two Tone" This actually was a good album, and a good band.

At least OP didn't post any albums or bands favored by people in the posted illustration.

Now THAT'S a POSER!

I was breaking balls and name dropping. Actually dig the specials but you are right about that image haha.

>listens to Jamaican ska
>does not understand it
>”ROIGHT BLOODY HELL, M8, I CAN DO THAT!”
>makes own version of ska. Sexy as Frankenstein
>”Americans will never understand this”

Actually the text or narration appears on the inner gatefold cover, and not the booklet.

Plus there are many references that still go over many yank's heads. Most Americans have never tried jellied eels nor know what that is, and there are no "Pie and Mash" shops in the U.S. (At least none that I know of) Plus there is a lot of British vernacular that most Yanks won't recognize like referring to take out or carry out as "Takeaway" or bridges and over passes as "Fly Overs" or highways and expressways as "Motorways" or the spelling of tire with the letter Y (Tyre)

As much as the picture book and the text helps to explain the story being told by the songs, it is still a quintessentially British album.

(And nice how you snuck in a little nudity on a work safe board. Hope the MODS don't notice. Get it? Mods? See how I snuck in a bad pun there?)

my mom has this on vinyl

Can she relate to the lyrics of Too Much Too Young?

Or Happy Marriage?

More quintessentially British than The Kinks, which, unfortunately, is why they never became popular in the U.S. Shame, too, since Setting Sons was a work of pure genius. (But they never put out a bad record. Even The Gift had it's moments)

The only British albums I don't get are the ones where the singer doesn't bother to hide his crooked fucking accent. Half of PFs Piper... is ruined by Barrett's "oi I British yes I am" singing. Fucking hell man

I always thought it was charming in a Donavan-esque sort of way.

Dunno, OP. I do love this album and I live in America

>Too Much too young
Great album

steve albini, sonic youth, pixies, pavement were listening...