The Complicated Case of Leadership and Vision at Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment

>I know someone who is familiar with the inner workings of the DC world, and he and I talk on occasion, especially when I have some particular thoughts on items like how awful Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was and how, somehow, Suicide Squad was even worse, and he usually finds this amusing and humors me and my particular brand of bratty, entitled whining about what I, as a connoisseur of all things superhero related, deserve as a consumer. But when I called him this week to ask him about this Flash thing and what the devil is going on over there, his response was a tad different.

>“Sorry,” he said. “We were too busy laughing about all the money we made on Suicide Squad to worry too much about this latest turn of events with a movie that isn’t as high on our list of important projects. I mean, it’s not like it’s Aquaman.”

>I thought he was kidding about that last part, but as we talked, I realized he was being dead serious, and for the first time, I was given an inside look at how the sausage gets made over there. For starters, they actually did make a heck ton of money on Suicide Squad, which did wonders for the company’s third quarter numbers. I don’t blame you for being surprised, because my eyes actually popped about that tidbit, too. There was a bunch of other stuff that surprised me, as well, so hang onto your hat. It’s about to get real all up in here.

tracking-board.com/the-complicated-case-of-leadership-and-vision-at-warner-bros-and-dc-entertainment/

>First and foremost, let’s go over some things I think we all already knew. Like the fact that everybody panicked over there after BvS didn’t do the business they were hoping it would do and it got killed by critics and fans alike. That led to the promoting of Geoff Johns and Jon Berg to oversee the DCEU, as well as the hiring of Ben Affleck to executive produce and, essentially, babysit Zack Snyder on the set of the two-part Justice League movie they just finished shooting in England.

>Now some of the stuff you might not have known. Johns was hired more for street cred than anything else, taking advantage of his status as a superstar comic book writer. Berg — who oversaw the Christopher Nolan Batman movies which, if you might recall, were slightly successful — is viewed as a brilliant guy in-house and is really the one everyone trusts to make the whole thing go the way it should. The mid-stream course correction is only unfortunate because it’s happening in public, but people are actually feeling good about things there in Burbank for the first time in a while.

>Why? Because, apparently, Justice League looks dynamite. Totally different from anything Snyder has done before and, in fact, reasonably coherent as a movie. It’s a welcome change from a director who is not universally loved within the company, where many see him as, and again, I’m paraphrasing, a guy who got lucky with a popcorn movie on a couple weekends in March of 2007 and hasn’t made a single good film since. Everything he touches turns to dust (seriously, go watch Sucker Punch again, I dare you), and yet, the powers that be thought it was a good idea to give him the keys to the car, which he then just about drove into a bridge embankment.

>Additionally, everybody is really excited about Wonder Woman, which looks amazing and is in good hands with Patty Jenkins, the director chosen to replace MacLaren, who was apparently in way over her head and not prepared to make the movie the company wanted her to make. So, they went with Jenkins who, you might recall, left Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World over something known as “creative differences.”

>(Also, and this is important, these types of things are not isolated to Warner Bros. and the DC movies, as you might recall that Marvel also cut ties with Edgar Wright over Ant-Man after he’d been working on it for years, and Fox and Tim Miller just recently parted ways over the Deadpool sequel when he couldn’t agree on certain casting and story issues with star Ryan Reynolds and the writing team of Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, and now the first film’s composer, Tom Holkenborg has split, too, in solidarity with his director. Additionally, there’s the revolving door of directors on Channing Tatum’s Gambit flick that might never even happen, the series of directors who attached themselves, then detached themselves from Bruce Willis’ Death Wish remake before Eli Roth finally agreed to do it, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt walking away from the Sandman movie he had spent years developing for something else I have heard referred to as “creative differences.” These things happen, and they happen all the time, it just seems like they happen more often with Warner Bros.’ DC Comics movies.)

>inb4 300 replies of children or adults with a children mentality arguing that "my multibillion dollar company is better than your multibillion dollar company".
>inb4 dead memes
>inb4 muh superhero is stronger than your superhero xdd

All of you should kill yourselves irl and after that go back to Sup Forums, reddit and youtube comment section

>On top of all that, and with all due respect and apologies, it’s not like Rick Famuyiwa or Seth Grahame-Smith is James Wan. If Wan, whose movies have grossed over $2.5 billion worldwide, walked away from Aquaman, then there would be panic in the aisles and a good, old-fashioned, all around freakout. He’s the heavyweight filmmaker the company needs for industry gravitas, and the buzz about star Jason Momoa is so good, there is already some consideration to rotate The Flash out of its March 2018 release slot and move Aquaman up from that July to take its place. Wonder Woman and Justice League both need to work, or else, unlike The Flash, which doesn’t carry the same weight and is, by the way, already huge on television. Aquaman is seen as a groundbreaker and keenly important as well and has everyone in something of a tizzy.

>Which means that Warner is actually feeling pretty good about all of this and isn’t terribly worked up about what the press or the fanboys or anyone else is saying, because they know more than you do and are perfectly happy to let the chips fall where they may, and whoever doesn’t like it can go ahead and lump it.

>Now, that is all well and good, but it doesn’t change the fact that the company didn’t really dig in for the proper due diligence on any of the three directors it’s lost over the last year and a half. The fact that they weren’t a good fit — Grahame-Smith is the biggest thinker, seeing as how he wrote the screenplay and was going to make his directorial debut on what would be a tentpole with a budget well into the nine figures — probably should have been decided before any of them were hired in the first place. That it wasn’t, and that it has happened repeatedly, should be a cause for concern, because there’s no denying that they look a little silly because of it.

>The kick of it, though, is that there is concern. Lots of it. It’s just not coming from Warner Bros.

mad marvel cucks making countless dc hate thread
more news at 9
also pic related shilling has reach a new level.

>I know someone
Your uncle works for WB, we get it. What's the point of this thread?

Enjoy your wonder woman, friend.

>I know someone that said someone said this
Oh fuck off. We all know this smear campaign now, Marvel shills.

How many reports detailing the dire state of WB have come out over the past week?

>Guy sees Justice League and WW are going to be great
>Mcucks don't read and shitpost some more

Being a marvel fag is suffering

>I'm a minimum wage e-journalist who knows an extremely low level and uninvolved employee at WB, and I will claim his recitation of what he's heard others at the company say as gospel

>WB is laughing at everyone because SS was a success
>Aquaman will be moved up before The Flash
Those are points.

no1curr

post something original
this is recycled human centipede shit

It actually states that WB is up and well and healthy and very happy with Suicide Squad. They seem to like this new direction and will keep delivering the same quality to it's fans. Rejoice DC friends. All the negative comments by comic book fans and critics will not stop WB putting out Kino. Suck it Marvel! I think it would be best if the MCU was gone already so DC can take over.

>Oh fuck off. We all know this smear campaign now, Marvel shills.
>smear campaign
>hahaha what idiots they made a bunch of money!!

please don't use green text

seriously

>comics written and rewritten hundreds of times by hundreds of different writers and artists
>marvel movies come out
>adhere to expectations, each movie follows the exact same formula
>successful and lavished by fans
>DCEU comes out
>mishmash of visual inspirations from the comics but taking the story in a new direction, including more of a focus on social and philosophical impact of the superman
>they aren't the same movies as the marvel versions
>shit on by nearly everyone who lavished the marvel equivalents
>complaints often "not muh comics" or "too dark" despite each movie featuring hope, faith towards goodness and coming-together-despite-our-differences-in-order-to-fight-for-the-common-good
>still make decent to outrageous box office
>can't prefer DCEU without being called a contrarian or shill

Say what you like about the MCU, Feige is absolutely in charge over there and oversees everything. It helps a lot.

Because you're pretending to like shitty films for attention.

>he likes the movies I don't like
>must be pretending

The movies are objectively bad.

But that's subjective

>Now, that is all well and good, but it doesn’t change the fact that the company didn’t really dig in for the proper due diligence on any of the three directors it’s lost over the last year and a half. The fact that they weren’t a good fit — Grahame-Smith is the biggest thinker, seeing as how he wrote the screenplay and was going to make his directorial debut on what would be a tentpole with a budget well into the nine figures — probably should have been decided before any of them were hired in the first place. That it wasn’t, and that it has happened repeatedly, should be a cause for concern, because there’s no denying that they look a little silly because of it.

Been saying this since MacLaren left WW.

Kevin Feige is a huge faggot you Marvel nu-male.