Abbott is death process

Abbott is death process

;_;7

>takes suit off
>think that means the aliens will start peeling humans because they think it's fine

If the aliens could process time non-linearly, why didn't they just talk/write to the humans using english at first? Costello understood Louise's english perfectly fine when she was inside the environment.

muhh dick

This movie was fucking great but..

What exactly gives Louise the ability to process time non linearly? Is it when she touches the glass and the smoke touches her etc? Like when they place their whole language on the glass? Or is it just anyone who understands the language?

its anybody who understand the language since it isn't bound by time like all human languages

or something

That is silly though.. is that to imply that any human who learns this language can affect time in the way she did?

she would never be interested in learning the universal language if they used English

They briefly mention a theory/hypothesis (Sapir–Whorf hypothesis) that language largely influences how we think on a very fundamental level. There is some very very basic precedent in languages in terms of how we function like Guugu Yimithir where people who speak the language know where north, south, east, and west are at all times because they use absolute direction instead of relative direction for everyday speech.

presumably, yes. they teach it to her so she can teach it to a few people in her life, who then teach it to a few people each, etc

ideally in a few thousand years everyone on earth can do it

Well it's not like they have to use English all the time, they just need to state that they aren't going to cause trouble and that they come in peace; and why wouldn't she want to learn the first Alien language? She's a linguist.

What am I looking at here fellows.

Why was she surprised in the future to learn that she called the Chinese president? In the future she would realize she called him in the past.

mommy and daddy talk to animals

she's no longer on a linear timeline. The conversation happened before the phone call.

K wait so why did the aliens come in the first place? They said in 3,000 years that they would need the humans' help so they had to help the humans now... But what exactly did they do that helped the humans? Was it just their presence bringing the different countries together? If so though, then they're just solving a problem they created by showing up.

Also, what was the 1/12 thing they sent? The big message made of a bunch of little symbols. They said their gift to humanity was their language... How was that a gift?? Does learning the language grant anyone the ability to see the future?? That seems like it would throw the whole fucking world into chaos.

Loved the movie, but just didn't quite get why the aliens were there.

I guess I can buy that. So she's not just seeing the future but actually experiencing it?

>But what exactly did they do that helped the humans?

They gave them their language. Like, that's said numerous times: the "weapon"/"technology" IS the language. That's what was meant by "use weapon".

>Does learning the language grant anyone the ability to see the future?

See . The idea is that someone who can write/think in the language to a very high degree (like Louise) will be able to perceive time nonlinearly.

Would it throw the world into chaos? Eh, maybe. But I suppose one of the things suggested by the movie is that you'll be calmer and less chaotic if you know what's going to happen in the future. It was the uncertainty of why the heptapods were on Earth that made the nations act rashly.

Actually made me kinda' sad.

I guess that's true. I just can't help but imagine the ramifications of ANYONE being able to see the future upon being fluent in a language.

ALSO: can she change her individual future or no? If she saw her child would have cancer could she choose not to have sex with Jeremy Renner? Or is she full on Dr Manhattan now

wait does that mean Abbott already knew he was going to death process if he went to Earth

why didn't he try to do something to stop it

That's one of my only problems with the movie, in that the director just barely grazes Louis' decision to go "fuck it, guess im living my life how I saw it in my nonlinearfuturevision"

>aliens are always naked
I hate this meme. Even Chiang went with this cliche in his story.

We're all puppets, user. Abbott was just a puppet who can see the strings.

maybe it's a metaphor for how in real life you know things have to end so what's the point, why not just kill yourself now

people have reasons for living even though they're aware of death and that's what the movie is about

Cause you would be able to see if already tried to stop it

maybe death just isn't that big of a deal for the aliens

after I left the theater I really thought about what my reason for living was and I felt my profound lack of human contact

Humans would probably be naked too, if we weren't so susceptible to the elements

This is something that I think people missed out on.

Even though it wasn't heavily focused on, Louise was *alone* before she met Ian. It's not even clear that she had (close) friends -- the end of the world is potentially happening, and she's sitting at home, alone, with no one to talk to except her mom calling her one time.

I don't consider her decision to have Hannah as a bad thing, in that context.

>no friends
>saves humanity and gets married
>husband leaves her
>has child knowing when she'll die

Being Louise is suffering

In the short story this is based on, the ultimate theme becomes about free will.

The aliens, and Louise, can see the future but they aren't bound to it. Instead, the author explains that any beings who have this power end up expressing their free will by acting out what they know needs to happen. Which is why she chooses to have her daughter.

My problem with this stuff is that what if your future involves dying a horrible fucking death; would you still choose to bring about that conclusion? what happens to the future if you're constantly trying to change it?

Such a forgettable movie.

>We're all puppets, user.
TANGLED IN...STRINGS...STRINGS

The short story was also more ambiguous about whether learning their writing could make your see your future. But Hollywood had to fuck it up by basing the whole climax (which itself wasn't present in the short story) around the undeniable fact that Louise could see the future. Fuck, they even got one of the aliens to say it clearly.

he was /our guy/?

user... no. I thought it was pretty clear the aliens had no free will whatsoever. Neither did she, but she could at least appreciate having a daughter.

Huh? It was quite clear that she did have free will. She CHOOSES to still have a child with Jeremy Renner. That's the whole point. If she couldn't change the future... Then there's no tension there. She even refers to it as a decision.

Terrible bait user. Try harder.

agreed. the problem with this story is that if you think about it too long, it starts to seem pointless

the short story includes some much needed pondering about the free will/determinism aspect of the power to see future

The short story explicitly states the heptapods see through time and act to carry out that purpose. You know, like Tralfamadorians. It makes 0 sense that the Heptapods would have free will AND see into the future, that would make them pretty close to omnipotent don't you think?

>act to carry out that purpose
By choice

What? She poises the free will question at the end user? It makes you think about your own life and if you would do the same. She had the free will to change things by knowing what happens.

There's really not any free will to express if you'll be acting in accordance to the future. I don't see anything wrong with her being able to see the STORY of her life, but not being able to do anything about it.

they have free will, thats the point of the story. to choose to act on the path you see, even though it may lead to pain.

think about this, if the aliens had free will, they would just talk to the humans using english straight from the beginning, but instead they play all mysterious because they know it needs to happen that way

daily reminder this movie is just to prepare people psychologically for when aliens really arrive to earth, theyve been prepping us since the 50s

meant to say "didn't have free will"

if they know the shit ahead of time, and are acting upon it, they there's no need to play mysterious unless they choose to play it that way to stay truest to the vision.

it's like how she knows everything that will happen to her daughter, but still plays ignorant loving mommy so that her daughter can grow up in the way she's supposed to (i guess this included telling her husband about stuff that causes them to get divorced)

this is all a bunch of hogwash by the way

How long until we get high quality Rule 34 images of someone fucking that center orifice on the tentacle?

It's not that time is affected, it's that time becomes visible, like turning a square into a cube

time is a flat circle

The film is about the process and phenomenal feeling of grief. It's about Louise who is faced with a situation where the world has absolutely gone to shit(death of daughter/aliens and collapse of society) and she needs to figure out a way to cope with it. The language expresses how grief feels like a non-linear, circular, and repetitive process that once you decipher you can at least understand it. The society collapse and alien structure also mimics how to cope with grief. The nations begin shutting each other off and getting more angry and violent towards their threat. In the end however, once the language is understood it becomes clear that only focusing on one aspect of that grief isn't enough and unity is needed to fully solve the problem.

Bullshit.
The governments have been in a cold war with them since then, and they're only prepping us in case the day comes where we actually properly go to war with them.

cause the other thread archived

>Did anyone else catch what the "1 of 12" revelation was about? The thing about negative space that Renner's character caught in that bukkake of alien words.

>We already know that there are 12 ships. Its implied that they are in contact with each other. Renner's character says that we need to work together with the other nations to understand what it means (that the random assortment of words is part of some puzzle/whole) but... they just drop that plot point

>It doesn't even really lead to the where the nations start being cooperative because it's just Louis and Shang.

Each nation was a different piece of the puzzle for understanding the aliens' language.
12 ships, so 12 nations, and 12 pieces of the puzzle.

yeah I get that, but nothing came out of that

Louis didn't need information from any of the other nations to figure out the language and time non-linearity

>Abbott shows up late to the last meeting with the bomb in the room
>he wanted a few extra moments before he went to his death

To be honest, it was one of the messier aspects of the ending. The whole end of the movie was super rushed; it could have benefited from being half an hour longer.

Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming desu, just seeing a few symbols on flags as the payoff.
As for why Louis didn't need the pieces, she smaht, she a geenyus, she a shitty deus ex machine to get the writers out of the corner they backed themselves into.

I think she meant in the more metaphorical sense. In the party scene, you see the Hetapod Language symbol on a flag that's bigger than the other world flags next to it. She's also shown teaching a full classroom about the language and publishes a handbook to understanding it. I think it's implied she's teaching the human race how to speak Hetapod

I watched this movie high on edibles. It's definitely the definitive experience. Mind blown.

>yfw they're named Abbott and Costello because Who's on First is about the misunderstanding of language

My theory is that, although Louise had a decent amount of control over non-linear existence(?) after meeting with Costello in the shell, she wouldn't fully master it until she had the pieces from the other ships.

Hence, it's why she had flashes even after speaking with the Chinese general on the phone, even after things had really simmered down -- but before the other countries were sharing all their data.

I genuinely didn't get this. That's pretty good on the writer.

Abbot was named because of the religious allegory.
Costello was named because of the Italian explorer theme.

The jap bloke literally spelled it out, nigga.
She had a speshul brain or some shit.

12 desciples?

pssh, more like the 12 sons of Israel

12 tribes of Israel.

The subtitles near the end say "Abbott," not "Abbot." They're named after Abbott and Costello the comedy duo.

>She had a speshul brain or some shit.

He said "I can't begin to understand how your mind works," but it's established early on that they're using that hypothesis that the language you speak changes how you fundamentally see the world and it can "re-wire" your brain. Anyone's brain can work the same way as Louise's if they immerse themselves in Heptapod language as much as she did.

[Edwing] Abbott's best-known work is his 1884 novella Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions which describes a two-dimensional world and explores the nature of dimensions. It has often been categorized as science fiction although it could more precisely be called "mathematical fiction".

With the advent of modern science fiction from the 1950s to the present day, Flatland has seen a revival in popularity,[4] especially among science fiction and cyberpunk fans.[5] Many works have been inspired by the novella, including novel sequels and short films.[5]

MY NAME IS MR BUMP AND I GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT

I think it's heavily implied that Shang could also perceive time non-linearly after he learns it in the future

this is the most shallow, pedantic excuse for science fiction in many years

meanwhile, we have shit like Die Kill Die on the other side