Move over 2001

Move over 2001

You have been surpassed

are you ready OP?

Just got back from this. Probably my favorite movie of the year. Way fucking better than I expected. Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, and now this? I have no doubt in my mind that Blade Runner 2 will be great.

Who knew a mainstream movie could actually thought provoking

It has been surpassed many times. Most recently two years ago with Interstellar.

kek. Please be bait.

Oh, it's definitely bait, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

prisoners was pretty based innit?

Do I go see this or Hacksaw Ridge tomorrow??? maybe both? What about Christine at the arthouse theater?

It's definitely not true.

Hard to say. Both are top two of the year for me easily.

Both are really good, honestly flip a coin.

I love Nolan but Interstellar is like a Marvel flick compared to Arrival

Horrible taste. That movie had the worst sound design in a movie ever.

Why did Cooper (a man of science) act as though he was in a huge rush while inside the tesseract when he had literally (literally) unlimited time with which to get his message across ?

A poor film music composer emulating a poor art music composer. Very disappointing.

Didn't help seeing Interstellar in the "gold class" where they actually had it turned up so loud I had to walk out early with damaged hearing and tinnitus.

Seen both this week, definitely an either or scenario.

Watched this movie today... Theater was empty...

Kek mine too

Maximum comfy

Arrival is 2001 for retards

Original with Charlie Sheen was better

When I am in power, I will elevate humanity by having mass screenings of Interstellar and gassing the theaters just before the end, meaning only the patricians who have already walked out in disgust will be allowed to pass on their genes

That's because your country is pleb-tier
just like every country

Fucking kek

Reminder that the only people who think Arrival is good are dumb people who think they're smart

Reminder that the only people who think Arrival is bad are LITERALLY dumb people who think they're smart. The criticisms you hear are either idiots ranting about paradoxes because they can't wrap their head around it, or pseudointellectuals claiming it's simplistic because they were able to figure out the twist on their own.

What was patrician about Hawkeye's constant quipping

pleb chairs

>wrong Arrival

based

When did he quip?

looking at ink blots will never give you the ability to perceive the future. you have to be stupid to do the mental gymnastics needed to accept that garbage concept. it's literally "just turn your brain off" and open wide while they shove trash down your throat.

>looking at ink blots

Have you ever learned a language other than the one you're currently struggling with?

oh, I'm sorry, I meant "reading Heptapod"

are you still confused?

>2016
>movie theaters

TELL ME ONE THING. IS THIS SHIT REALLY ABOUT LINGUISTICS? I STUDIED LINGUISTICS AND IS THERE ACTUAL LINGUISTICS IN THIS? I SAW THE TRAILER AND WAS EXCITED BUT I GOTS TO KNOW MY MAN, I GOTS TO KNOW.

When you learn it, it rewires the brain. It's like a quantum program that enables you to perceive events laterally through five dimensional hyperspace.

I don't know what say, user, except that... this is all real science, discovered by scientists in real life. They didn't actually make anything up for the movie (except the aliens).

Its Sci-Fi m8
It takes a current theory, in this case one about language rewiring your brain, and takes it to its most extreme result.
If you dont like that, then literally dont watch Sci-fi.

Its Sci-Fi linguistics. Theres some, but its mostly just nods to the field rather than being a full movie about it.

NOOOOOO IT'S A PLOTHOLE BECAUSE IT DIDN'T USE REAL SCIENCE

FILMS ARE SUPPOSED TO AUTISTICALLY FOLLOW REAL LIFE YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE ANYTHING UP REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>empty theater
>acting like this is a bad thing

You're doing it wrong, you fucking moron.
A true patrician pays respect to the medium by watching the film, regardless of whether he likes it or not.

Damn.

>this is all real science, discovered by scientists in real life
ok this is bait

I think what I disliked is how they make you sit through all this boring alien stuff only to then go with a magic fantasy style twist at the end, and that the main point of the movie ends up just becoming Amy Adams' decision to have a kid even though she knows it will die. Like, they could have just made her find a magic mirror while walking in the woods or something. The actual story is like 15 minutes long and then you have a 90 minute AYY LMAO bit stuck in there for no reason.

No, of course its a spiritual/mystical jump that the film makes away from science - and that's fine.
It's functionally equivalent to the old stereotype of "achieving enlightenment" after meditation. In my opinion there's a relationship between the circles in the language and also the use of circles in koans & zen thought.

Either you were okay with that jump or you weren't, I suppose.

>real science

more like a very broad and loose theory taken to a very unlikely extreme

Ugh you think the point is about Amy Adams.
The point is about time and choice, about language, and about First Contact. The Story is the actual story, not just the plot. The packaging the plot comes in matters. The characters matter.
Magic mirror doesnt explore the nature of language. Magic mirror doesnt explore the idea of time being literally non-linear.
You can call it fantasy but most physics nowadays sounds like fantasy, perfectly linked particles and what not. The point is that maybe, the universe is that way. Its not fantasy.

>forgotten in a month movie
>surpassing 2001

>Broad and loose theory taken to a very unlikely extreme
Unlike every other sci-fi movie right?
Oh wait...

>remakes with strong female protagonists

>triggered

This, maybe love really is some kind of force that connects humans.

If you want to conflate "Time isnt linear" with "Love is magic" then fine.

She has the kid because she no longer has free will, it a written in stone that she will have the child and it will die, she knows this will happen and she accepts that.

Multidimensional love makes total sense.
When making their plans the future 5th dimensional beings used love as the primary motivator for McConaughey and Hathaway's characters. Out of all things in the universe they chose love because it's the strongest driving force behind a human's actions. That's why they chose McConaughey and Murph, and the bookcase and watch.
They used love to manipulate time, it is a force in this universe.

Thats not exactly clear. She seems to choose to have the baby.

I hope this becomes pasta

your memories are based on the actual physical composition of your brain. your perception of past events led to a physical record of those events being created, in the way your brain is composed. something that hasn't happened yet has not yet had an effect on your brain and thus you cannot draw on your brain to have memories of it, no matter what kind of thinking you attempt to try on it. It'd be like taking a forensics kit to a crime scene before the crime happens. It doesn't matter how you try to look at the scene, because the physical record of the crime isn't there yet. You can't see it because there's nothing to see.

Perhaps there is a way to see time differently than how our current conception of physics sees it. But that would take something substantially more out-of-the-box than linguistics or neuroscience to do so. New discoveries in physics require conditions far outside what is normally encountered in life. The idea that such a groundbreaking idea as time travel could be discovered by looking at ink blots is ridiculous.

This is why I say I'd prefer it were fantasy, because the pseudo-scientific "nonlinear time" aspect is just there to make you think it's "smart" and not just dumb fantasy. Which is a lie.

>forgetting tfa

>all these "intellectuals" complaining the language gave her super powers
>Can't even realize that the movie all but outright says time is not linear and its our reception of it that's flawed

>like, dude, what if time, like, wasn't time?

I can name a few people.

>implying we even know what time is

We don't even know how gravity works my man