ITT: Unlistenable Garbage

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=boOu0L45M44
youtu.be/TAMx_nkKqDg?t=18m20s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This band is too prog reddit for me

How can you say about something this groovy?

youtube.com/watch?v=boOu0L45M44

PROG reddit! that's a new term for my vocabulary

pretty much every instrument on this album is played flawlessly
its not prog its just skilled lol
theres far wankier jazz out there, without the soul and energy that this album has so easily
brb gonna listen to dawn again

love this album

Thank you, you put what I have a problem with in terms of their and a lot of other fusion giants

>without the soul and energy

Great playing, very precise, just lacking humanity or a sense of humor. That's why I prefer Zappa because his band had great playing chops, but they also had a bit more of a personality rather than replaceable player who is very talented.

It's better then most fusion.

>Bitches Brew
>Sextant
>Elegant Gypsy
>Lanquidity
>Roxy and Elsewhere
>Crossings
>Spaces Revisited
>In A Silent Way
>Hot Rats

that album is pure kino though

wow fuck you

>t. Reddit tier trash

Come back later faggot

I know this is bait, but watching them play live puts things in perspective. All their music is based around total mastery of their individual instruments. Watching Jerry Goodman, Billy Cobham, and Jan Hammer all exchanging riffs is fucking magic

youtu.be/TAMx_nkKqDg?t=18m20s

but it's boring to listen to

the problem is on your end, pleb

See
and
No one cares about technical ability unless you are playing with feeling. John doesn't play with feeling, he's like a brain washed robot. I'll give you it's not a bad record, but nothing by any one in this group is amazing or fun or even really worth revisiting unless you are an expendable session musician who will be topped and forgotten down the road.

Though I do like Extrapolation

I don't hear anything about them that suggests overly technical wanking. That criticism is contrived anyway and only really applicable to things like shred metal that's just vacuous fast arpeggios. Saying that about anything else doesn't really communicate anything meaningful other than that you don't like it.

>He wants humor in his music

I sometimes forget how plebeian this board is. You want comedy go watch some fucking Dave Chapelle,

If you haven't gotten stoned listening to You Know You Know and then had your buzz completely ruined by Awakening you haven't lived

I get to see John McLaughlin on the 30th
Pretty excited

I only listened to Tarkus, side A was pretty good, side B was some of the most incredibly awful shit I've ever listened to.

Pleb prog is really awful. I can't stand Rush either.

No I don't necessarily think it's wank, but it's more just perfect. It's like Bach. I love some of his stuff, but it all begins to blend together because it was all precise and in it's place. John's an amazing guitarist, but he just doesn't have the "power" to captivate outside of guitarists who think ability trumps energy and being in the solo.

Honestly outside of him being precise and fast there is nothing that sets him apart for like any other player who can play that fast or will get to that level of ability. At least Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, or Wes have distinct styles. He just feels like an expendable player in his own compositions. He's much better as a backing musician or session man than leader. That doesn't mean you can't like it, but you can't argue he has energy on this or charisma or anything to pull you in outside of speed and precise playing.

>t. uneducated pleb

I bet you don't even understand the "Joke" of Haydn's String Quartet Op 33 fucking faggot. Also you realized Beethoven was very much inspired by Haydn to the point of wanting to be a mix of Mozart and Haydn when he started. And if not for Beethoven we wouldn't have Liszt who was one of the first performers who was very flashy and technical in terms of trying to impress people, which translates to today. So fuck you and your retardation you nigger

every ELP album is like that

>please don't attempt to communicate with me I'm a huge fucking idiot
noted

You said humor doesn't exist in music, yet I named a Classical piece that intentionally had a humorous thing put in it by one of the legendary classical composers. And if anything isn't classical music supposed to be stuffy, you never answered my question and I proved I'm correct.

What's the joke of the "The Joke" quartet by Haydn?

>you nigger

Wowkeep the racism in Sup Forums

Yes, I got carried I apologize, but my point still stands. There's nothing wrong with having humor in music especially considering Haydn had a sense or humor and other people did to. Only a real pleb doesn't have the capacity that you can mix humor and music and it not be trash or a comedy album.

Hell Steely Dan had a sense of humor in they're lyrics, have you ever heard their songs. They're hilarious.

>you can't argue he has energy on this
I can and I will. John McLaughlin is a very exciting and energetic guitar player.

how, this is not a fun record. There is nothing fun, you yourself said it's about people mastering their instruments. That's not fun, that's more showing off than fun

sorry fun or energetic

I'm not the guy you were replying to. You should really learn that other people enjoy things and even for reasons you don't get. The players are so tight as a band and the things they do with their instruments are so thrilling. The speed and ability is a blast to me. Laird and Cobhams absurdly complex yet groovy rhythm and John McLaughlins firey guitar playing over it-its just exhilarating. You think otherwise. Who cares?

>Zappa
>Hot Rats
Bunch of disgusting rockists.

Any Jazz musicians would rank higher than anything by Zappa. Sup Forums is filled with musically illiterate rockists who cant understand the conversational nature of music styles like Jazz. Its music entirely based on whats actually happening in the music (theoretically and technically). Unlike rock which is infused with a bunch of other elements such as aesthetics, politics and just look at some of the plebs in this thread asking for humor. They cant imagine people deriving pleasure from music that insinuates nothing outside whats being played. It takes patience and some understanding to be able to sit down and appreciate a lot of Jazz. If the artist isnt some caricature or some larger-than-life persona like Zappa, Bowie or Michael Gira, Sup Forums cany be bothered.

t. listens to Lil Peep

Based user

First this album is actually jazz fusion, which is (in the case of this record) jazz fused with rock. Also I've studied theory so you can't really say I don't undestand what's going on. I've said they're all terrific players but there's like no feeling to it. That's actually a problem I have with jazz guitar to be honest, the guitar just feels to reserved and confined. Be if John, Gabor (at times), Coryell the list goes on. The only player I like who's a jazz guitarist is Wes and Benson.

Also your a fucking idiot if you think humor can't be in music, you realize Jazz is rooted in classical music right. Like seriously, modes... wait they existed before 1959? I'm shocked. Not to mention everything Duke was doing can fit into western theory. There's nothing wrong with a sense of humor in your music, if anything your a plebist who doesn't actually understand what your talking about outside of the fact this album is very technical.

Also I'm still waiting for that guy to explain the "Joke" of the Haydn quartet because he thinks humor isn't in serious music, when in reality classical music is the most serious of all music. And I do like jazz a lot, I'll say I'm more akin to classical theory than jazz, but I have experience in it. So your applying these statements to me when they don't really pertain to me.

I get what your saying, and maybe it's a difference of opinion. I never said they were bad players, and I guess you can have your own opinion but still Mahavishnu is kinda boring (for a full record sitting). Like I'd rather listen to Spectrum or an Al Di Meola record than one of their records.

This man exposing himself.

>First this album is actually jazz fusion, which is (in the case of this record) jazz fused with rock.
>fused
It's jazz with rock influences.
>Also I've studied theory so you can't really say I don't undestand what's going on. I've said they're all terrific players but there's like no feeling to it. That's actually a problem I have with jazz guitar to be honest, the guitar just feels to reserved and confined.
How is the guitar more confined than a trumpet or a saxophone? Guitar has more harmonic possibilities than most brass/woodwinds?
>Be if John, Gabor (at times), Coryell the list goes on. The only player I like who's a jazz guitarist is Wes and Benson.
How is McLaughlin more confined than Wes?
>Also your a fucking idiot if you think humor can't be in music
It can, but it doesnt make music better either. Whats wrong with the seriousness?

I think you need to reread what I said. Yeah I should have put informed instead of fused. That way my mistake.

I agree, you can certainly get across things better on guitar than you can for some other instruments, but why does it just feel like he's just playing and not feeling then. I personally think Miles has way more emotion on a song like Never Entered My Mind than on any of the Mahivishnu albums I've heard (the 70's albums).

If you read
>The only player I like who's a jazz guitarist is Wes and Benson.
I wasn't saying about being too confined I was sayin those are the two I happen to like, I didn't think I needed to space it out so you wouldn't think that. also I mean the guitar playing not the instrument of the guitar. Like when I hear guitar I like the fast technical stuff, but I need those little things here and there to show your breathing you know.

There's nothing wrong with seriousness, but people act like humor makes in inherently inferior.

How did I expose myself? Also I don't think this album is garbage, I do like it, but I don't think it's as good as people say it is. unless your basing it on merits in terms of on paper (theory and analyzing) and not experience of the record

Uncle Meat is better than your favorite album by a lot

I used to love Rush so much dude, but now I feel like I was a gigantic faggot because I thought their music was so advanced and out of this world

>getting this fucking mad over someone liking an artist you don't

Gentle Giant

specifically their last two albums

The person who posted this is a BIG Numetal FAG I know I'm in a discord call with him RIGHT NOW

at least i dont listen to snorecore faggot

He unironically listens to korn

and you dont because you are a lame ass

>not listening to ONLY blues

king crimson is worse

he actually thinks fred durst is good

checked

atleast his dick tastes better than yours

the taste of dick is fitting for your music taste

you would know wouldn't you?

yiff me

ok