An Addendum

RHCP IS NOT POP ROCK, WAS NEVER POP AND WILL NEVER BE POP ROCK! THEY ARE JUST AN ALTERNATIVE ROCK AND FUNK ROCK BAND THAT HAS INCORPORATED ELEMENTS FROM PUNK, RAP AND PSYCHEDELIA INTO SONE OF THEIR SONGS!

Now that I've got your attention, let me red (hot chili peppers) pill you on the genres RHCP has truly incorporated into their career.

docs.google.com/document/d/1sBb4DVR_7AU04gYpLNfUwqyozQ2OLwSIHksSLf8OIzk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JT6UCvR7kgU
rateyourmusic.com/~FireNinja606
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Imagine getting this worked up over a pop-rock band like Red Hot Chili Peppers

nice blog post fag
rhcp = pop rock

Explain why.

1: This isn't just RHCP I've seen, ditz. Idiots amongst RYM have labeled Alternative Rock bands that have managed to go mainstream as "pop rock," only because of the aforementioned reason. None could even describe how they're pop besides that reason.
2: Look at the images again.

>liking a rock pop band

>meant to be catchy and accessible
>most songs follow a verse-chorus-verse structure
>absolutely no experimentation or innovation
>made for no reason other than to make money, has zero emotional value
Stop making these threads OP. RHCP is literally pop music and you just don't wanna admit it.

This

breaking the girl = pop rock
californication = pop rock
snow hey oh - pop rock
under the bridge - pop rock

Sup Forums nazi virgins hate RHCP because they got called the fuck out
youtube.com/watch?v=JT6UCvR7kgU

>i got tapes i got cds i got my public enemy

>>meant to be catchy and accessible
There are alternative rock songs by bands like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Pearl Jam, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and even indie bands like Modest Mouse, The White Stripes, Animal Collective and Death Cab For Cutie that are catchy. You don't see any of them ever being considered pop. And plus, RHCP's only "catchy" and "accessible" songs are mostly singles. Heck, I'd even argue that albums like By The Way and One Hot Minute only have a select few songs truly considered "pop."
>>most songs follow a verse-chorus-verse structure
Literally EVERY SINGLE Alternative Rock song has a verse-chorus-verse structure but that's the only characteristic it shares with pop rock. The most defining trait of Alt. Rock songs are the quiet, subtle and lush verses, that follow into a heavier, more explosive and/or dynamic chorus. It's so obvious, it's almost an Alt. Rock cliche at this point. Radiohead's song structure from The Bends, OK Computer and Hail to the Thief employ those songwriting techniques.
>>absolutely no experimentation or innovation
Now, you're just being ignorant. First off, RHCP was the literal pioneer of Funk Metal, Rap Rock and Rap Metal to follow into the mainstream. Flea's objectively one of the most innovative bassists alive; his fuck-meets-punk slapping technique mixed with a jazz/psychedelic approach to his style was the cornerstone of their music, and subsequent others' music in the realm of alt. rock. And John Frusciante... if you can't recognize his guitar virtuosity, you're just a fucking moron. I won't even waste time trying to create a wittier response because your brain would take ages to process it.
>>made for no reason other than to make money, has zero emotional value
Listen to By the Way again. Listen to One Hot Minute again. Listen to Californication again. And stop being a pretentious ditz.
>RHCP is literally pop music and you just don't wanna admit it.
I would admit it if you were right.

rhcp are pop as fuck my dude

>Breaking the Girl, an acoustic meets neo-psychedelia Alt. Rock song with elements of Art Rock
>pop rock

>Californication, a regular Alternative Rock expose about the materialism of success and fortune
>pop rock

>Snow, a regular Alt. Rock that turns into a Hard Rock song at the end due to Frusciante's virtuous guitar mastery
>pop rock

>Under the Bridge, a melancholic masterpiece of the isolation drugs can reduce a human to
>pop rock

Jesus, you guys are pathetic.

How? Explain.

Literally all of the bands you listed ARE pop music. They should be listed as pop music too.
And I have listened to Californication, By the Way, and One Hot Minute. I honestly love all of those albums, and I don't think RHCP is bad. But they are the literal definition of pop music, and no they don't fucking have any emotional value.

just because you like them doesn't make them not pop rock you fucking dense retard

Pop rock is bullshit like Alanis Morrissete or Ed Sheeran or something. RHCP aren't even close.

>Alternative rock is a style of Rock music that generally consists of typically Pop Rock-based song structures performed with a less commercial, more underground sensibility. It has roots in the independent music scenes of the United States and Britain in the 1980s.
Damn. It's almost as if RHCP moved away from the funk sound they were known for in their early days to a more streamlined, accessible and radio-friendly sound. Huh.

>these artists I don't like are from this genre so obviously this band I like can't be from that genre
you're retarded

>Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Modest Mouse, The White Stripes
>pop
What's your definition of pop music then? And how are you such a philistine that you couldn't resonate with songs like Road Trippin, Otherside, Cabron, Tearjearker, Warped, etc.? What songs do have emotional value for you then?

RCHP are alternative rock and funk rock

and also pop rock

wtf is this shit?

>thinks RHCP is emotional
>probably cries when he hears the solo in Otherside
Jesus Christ I like RHCP too but you need to listen to more music

Not him (I'm the OP), but even if RHCP triggered vomit from my ears, I still wouldn't consider them pop. If I hated them, I'd just disregard them as garbage alternative rock.

Hell, I like synthpop, dream pop, new wave, and pop rock, but I still think RHCP doesn't fit in that category.

rateyourmusic.com/~FireNinja606
Reminder that this is the kid behind these posts.

>even if RHCP triggered vomit from my ears, I still wouldn't consider them pop.
what the fuck are you even talking about
being pop isn't a bad thing

You call this a shitpost mate?

Nothing wrong with pop rock. In fact, RHCP is one of THE best pop rock bands ever only eclipsed by the Beatles. And their funk punk days had legendary live performances. There were few better frontman (not vocalist) than Kiedis from '85-'01.

This (other than RHCP being good)
They are pop rock because they use pop chord progressions and use pop structures. They have a very accessible sound and have several top 40 hits
Literally nothing wrong with being Pop Rock,

>they use pop chord progressions and use pop structures
"On Californication and By the Way, Frusciante derived the technique of creating tonal texture through chord patterns from post-punk guitarists Vini Reilly of The Durutti Column and John McGeoch, and bands such as The Smiths, Fugazi and The Cure.[21][114] He originally intended By the Way to be made up of "these punky, rough songs", drawing inspiration from early punk artists such as the Germs and The Damned. However, this was discouraged by producer Rick Rubin, and he instead built upon Californication's melodically-driven style."

"Throw Away Your Television," while not having any rapidly sung lyrics, also contained a funk-oriented bass line, though hinted at experimental rock due to the heavy use of distortion throughout the verse and chorus. Other "experimental" tracks include the melodica-based "On Mercury." "Cabron," the only track to be played entirely on acoustic guitar, has distinctive Latin influences. "Tear" and "Warm Tape" were keyboard based more so than guitar or bass, the latter being completely written on the instrument. Technically, By the Way saw the Chili Peppers employing several devices to distort and alter guitar and vocal sequences.
Yep. Post-punk and neo-psychedelia meets funk and alternative rock, and cues from experimental rock are totally pop structures.

>They have a very accessible sound and have several top 40 hits
Because Nirvana's 4-chord "grunge" sound is in any way inaccessible and unpopular.

If you include RHCP as a pop rock band, then you have to include ALL alternative rock bands as pop too. They're either ALL pop rock, or none are pop rock. Pick one.

And come to think of it, why aren't any of their albums Sup Forumscore? I haven't seen a single chart with BSSM or Californication on it. What gives, Sup Forums?

>He originally intended By the Way to be made up of "these punky, rough songs", drawing inspiration from early punk artists such as the Germs and The Damned. However, this was discouraged by producer Rick Rubin, and he instead built upon Californication's melodically-driven style."

This was bullshit anyway. The reason Rubin didn't want to do this is merely because he didn't know much about The Germs and The Damned. It was basically like "No don't do this because I'm too lazy to get off my fat bearded Cheetos-eating ass and research those bands."

Kind of strange. Freaky Styley is more contrarian and inaccessible compared to most Sup Forumscore. Even better, the underages at rym hate it.

Yeah, but the fact that Rubin dissuaded Frusciante from doing so proves that RHCP is only superficially pop (which isn't pop), but deep down in their essence, they're an alternative band cursed with popularity.

And also, there is nothing wrong with pop rock, if they were pop rock at all.

I could see Uplift Mofo being on a Sup Forumscore chart, but none of the other ones are really deserving of it.
Frusciante's solo albums, however, desperately need a spot on the charts. Niandra LaDes and Curtains are ones I have in mind.

>Uplift Mofo
>Not Blood Sugar Sex Magik, the album that, along with Nevermind ushered in alternative rock as a viable genre
That makes no sense at all. Your quads are wasted.

But I agree with Niandra Lades, along with The Will to Death.

They were on a chart

>RHCP
>on the same level as Nickelback, Foo Fighters and Coldplay
Kill yourself.

>implying I made the chart

>thinking I directed it to you

>Implying anything

RHCP may be leagues better than Nickelback and Coldplay, but they're on the same level of 90s-2000s top 40 buttrock as Foo Fighters

Nah, RHCP is much more original. Foo Fighters just mainly took regular 70s hard rock/power pop ideas, while RHCP actually merged alternative/indie rock with funk, rap and punk. In fact, most of the other bands that stole from RHCP (most nu metal/rap rock/funk metal bands of the 90s-'00s) should be considered butt rock, not the pioneers themselves.

U2 maybe not the Chilis

Foo fighters are American Nickelback. Rhcp was once a creative force with musical talent (Self Titled, FS, Uplift, BSSM, OHM). They literally wipe the floor with them. As for live performances there are a only a few Sup Forumscore bands that can actually match them in terms of raw energy AND skill.

Thank you!

Someone should get frusciante into drugs again so he starts releasing actually challenging music instead of pop rock trash

>pop rock trash

You know he's doing Aphex Twin-type shit right now, right?

RHCP aren't even close to pop and we've already established that earlier in the thread sir.

Literal shit compared to the stuff he was releasing while on heroin.
Really, smile from the street you hold is the pinnacle of frusciante and RHCP-related shit in general

I like his old shit better too, I was just saying his new shit isn't really "pop rock trash".
Also Niandra LadEs > smile from the streets

>Also Niandra LadEs > smile from the streets
>>>/kys/

Other guy who replied isn’t me
I don’t care who their influences were, I’m going by their sound. I agree that they have some nods to funk and other odd genres, they still approach it with pop sensibilities, which makes them alternative rock (see, the definition posted in this thread)
Also you don’t need to classify all alt rock bands as pop rock because RHCP are on the lighter side of alt rock. So bands like Nirvana are not pop rock because they use some unorthodox methods like distortion and screamed vocals, although they are still accessible and still classify as alt rock

Nah RHCP are waaaay better than the Foo Fighters dude

Frusciante literally uses unorthodox guitar styles, though. And sure, they're on the lighter side of the Alt. Rock spectrum. But that still isn't enough to classify them as a Pop Rock band.

K

>sees that I accidentally used a trip
Oh, shit.

>>Music produced by Rick Rubin

>>Not pop rock

::thinking::

b-b-but WET SAND bro

Alright fair enough. You win

Oh god no not the frusciante meme again

I love me some RHCP

>At the Drive-In
>System of a Down
>Slipknot
>Coheed and Cambria
>Rage Against the Machine
>pop

I don't want to win. I just want people to recognize that RHCP is a lot more creative than people give them credit for.

Vumpire.

Vampire sugar junkie