Can we just have a thread discussing black people who think being black and listening to metal and rock music is a big...

Can we just have a thread discussing black people who think being black and listening to metal and rock music is a big deal?

I just have to say this because I have a black friend who came from a really bad neighbourhood, he talks about when he started listening to rock like it was the second coming of Jesus Christ in his life. I react like, What the hell are you talking about? You could have ALWAYS listened to rock if you REALLY wanted to. Nobody cares about what you are listening to and you don't have to tell gang members who might beat your ass for it you can even only listen with headphones if you don't want people you live with to know.

You have to remember that when people are young, musical subcultures can be huge parts of identity and socializing. A black person that would rather listen to,rock music(particularly certain types of rock music which are soft or emotional),and like they don't live up to standards of masculinity or blackness.

I understand this, but still, it really isn't that big of a God damn deal. I have another black friend who mostly just handled the situation how I said it should ideally be handled. Listen to it privately and mostly shut the fuck up about it nobody cares.

Your explanation was perfectly true though, I'm just saying hold in your emotions anyway instead of being a dumbass who believes being a black man listening to a white man play a guitar is worthy of a 2 hour length documentary.

This.
I remember living in a Hispanic community and everyone would listen to Ranchero, Norteño, or whatever genre Mexicans usually listen to. I would always brag among my friends that I only listened to rock and metal, which I assumed would set me apart from the rest. Of course, that was very idiotic of me to think that. I don't do that anymore and have branched out to many other genres.
How old is your black friend? It could be a phase, a long one in some cases, he's going through.

Agreed, but I also agree that I grew up in the hood and listening to rock would be mentally difficult. Definitely not the second coming of christ just because you listened to rock you could just hold in your emotions and kinda just not give a fuck.

It's not a big deal to a lot of middle class white people because they don't have social pressure on them to listen to a certain type of music like a lot of black communities do. If you listen to rock you're part of the white people oppressing you and that's bad, shit like that. I'm sure a lot of poor country whites have somewhat similar issues with not being a city folk and stuff. Unironically middle class white privilege.

Makes a lot of sense.

OP, I would say it depends a lot on your living situation and how bad your hood is.

If its a rough house with a family who will treat you like "YOU LISTENING TO THAT WHITE BOY SHIT AGAIN", it would be worse than if you were a middle class black dude with a pretty normal understanding family even if they don't listen to rock.

Either way, is it technically true that you COULD have always listened to rock music if you wanted to? Absolutely 100% True. Most people wouldn't put themselves in that position though.

it sounds like you are making it a big deal my man

If my friend is acting like its worthy of a 2 hour long documentary. I'm pretty sure its him. He is not a bad guy, he is a good guy, but making way too big of a deal of this.

>listen to Swans while in my car
>my Caucasian friends say its "weird" and nothing but "noise"

that being said I grew up on listening to MF Doom, Wu-Tang, Good Charlotte, and other poppy ass punk music. Where's my documentary at?

you seem like a cool dude id watch it

This is a bit tricky, because it looks retarded if you're black, from the hood, listened to rock and don't have emotions. It also looks retarded if you were white and never had to feel the pressure to not listen to rock music. But if you were black, from the hood, and emotional yeah its gonna be a massive deal if you start listening to rock or metal. I would say it would only make sense if the black people from the hood with no emotions were the only ones who were allowed to be judgemental about this.

>Can we just have a thread discussing black people
let's not

Depends where you grew up. In the hood, there is too much pressure. Some hoods are so bad people will look at you funny if you don't listen to the local gangs and thugs from around the block. If you were a middle class or upper class black kid, thats different you definitely would be a dumbass for making a scene about it. You could have always listened to it and there wasn't that much pressure.

>MF Doom, Wu-Tang, and other poppy ass punk music
wew lad

I think niggers should have a chance to listen to Rock and Metal. I mean I'm subscribe to a sheboon who's a fan of metal and does reactions to stuff like Metallica, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc. Besides, since the media is always putting hoodrats as rappers, it would be a change of pace to have an actual Rock revival with the help of black bands, guitarists, etc.

This, I lived in brooklyn and niggas would rob you if you didn't listen to bobby shmurda and think you were a nerd for listening to The Game. No shit niggas growing up there won't listen to rock music.

He shouldn't have wrote it the way he did, but he still made valuable contributions to the discussion.

she WAS pointing at us

>Rock revival
no fuck you
rock is fucking dead any attempt at a revival of it will end in cringe

It's not dead, and will never be dead. It's embedded into society too much that it will never leave, whether you like it or not. Only way for it to rise to mainstream status again is either niggers and spics to jump in(some have) or for right leaning musical counter culture to form.

Why? This is an interesting thread.
It doesn't matter if you're a black person listening to rock, but with how America is, it would be psychologically difficult.
This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a long time.

this

I'd watch it, make it happen user

>it's white privilege to not be an abusive black person

No one said this

he said it's white privilege that white people don't have to deal with black people rejecting them for not being black enough

>It's not a big deal to a lot of middle class white people because they don't have social pressure on them to listen to a certain type of music
Where I live (99% white) if you don't listen to country music you're a hipster, a communist, or a "Hillary supporter"

It’s similar to when a white guy thinks they’re cool for listening to rap. Except I’d say it’s even cringier.

You could have just listened to krautrock and canterbury scene your whole life instead of Linkin Park, but you chose to be a faggot.

What would you call the opposite of a wigger? A Nhite?

>be me
>Arab, bisexual
>play in 3 bands
>don't talk or write about identity politics at all
>0% attention or success despite constant grind

>don't talk or write about identity politics at all
Good because no one wants to hear that shit
>0% attention or success despite constant grind
Welcome to the world of art

You probably listen to shit like ratm or punk

maybe your music just isn't good?

Poor black people pretty much exclusively listen to hip-hop. It's difficult to understand but hip-hop is basically a part of your identity by default and people will consider you weird if you listen to rock or metal.

Neither do I

I mean fake "overnight" big-scale success that comes with idpol bands dicksucking each other in the media

Nobody born in this century has had any authentic contact with rock music, let alone fucking nu-metal. There hasn't been an indie rock hit in years.
It will go the way of jazz. People will know what it sounds like, understand and make references to it, even though it's not culturally present in any way, nor do people outside of aficionados actually listen to it.

Nah, rock is booming right now. With the recent backlash against shitty pop music, rock might make a major comeback in a few years. Need I remind you that classic rock acts like Guns 'n Roses have had successful tours.

Whether or not it comes back into the mainstream, we might not know. But Rock itself won't disappear for quite some time, if ever.