Theatrical or Extended?

Theatrical or Extended?

Also, does The Hobbit trilogy improve at all from the Extended Cuts?

Two Towers extended.
Rest theatrical.
Hobbit was a mistake. Nothing can make it worth it.

I watched a 260 minute fan edit the other day which was pretty nice. Towards the end there were some issues with pacing and the transition from the first to the second movie was a bit of a mess but it's still miles ahead of the original trilogy which is more than twice as long.

LotR extended only

Hobbit can be discarded because so much of it feels like empty pandering, though I enjoyed the beginning of the first movie due to more comfy Hobbiton moments. The dwarven theme song was also goat

The extended for Fellowship is a requirement, if you ask me. Every bit of it is an improvement.

The other two are more of a matter of opinion.

theatrical versions are so non-epic they make me sick

Extended.
Did the Hobbit fan edit ever get released,
the one that was supposed to combine all three into one film without the filler?

/thread

Fellowship and Two Towers extended, ROTK theatrical

Extended, just for the scene at the beginning of ROTK where you see what happens to Sauroman after the Isengard attack. They left out that scene in the theatrical cut, really?!

It's tough to say. I was thinking while watching the Extended versions last time whether or not the original theatrical versions would be better. I mean all you really lose from the Extended is the additional lore stuff that once you know, you don't really need to watch again.

This is probably the best rule of thumb. The ROTK only has additional lore scenes really on the Extended version, and the stuff like the Corsairs scene is kind of aged now and pointless in the end.

There's a couple of those around. The Maple Films 4 hour edit is the one I prefer.

The Hobbit trilogy was already a bloated mess, how the fuck could it benefit from MORE footage?

Thanks, think I'll give that one a try during the holidays.

In some cases, it was book shit that got cut to make room for Tauriel and Smaug getting drenched in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

I guess from a pacing pov the rotk can be very exhausting with the extended version, but II really don't mind. The longer it is and the more smaller character moments you get the harder the goodbye hits you at the end imo. It's supposed to be this overly long epic in my mind.

Additionally, the editor turned the Dwarf Lore and Necromancer subplots into their own 70 minute companion film.

I just think ROTK extended makes it too long to where you're just waiting for the movie to end

Would be interesting to see a cut with Sam & Frodo's journey and the rest of the Fellowship separately, joined together at the Black Gate. Could be boring with Sam and Frodo only though.

Has there ever been a case where the theatrical cut is the definitive cut?

The book more or less does this. A huge chunk of it is just uninterrupted Frodo and Sam.

>le super invincible green ghost army
what's the difference?
it's hot steaming pile of shit either way

ROTK is the only one with extended changes that don't simply change the pacing, but are outright bad.

Wasn't there some book purist fancuts that basically did that?

Maybe Apocalypse Now?

Maybe Donnie Darko

The extended version is even more wack

Yeah, I meant to say just like the book, that's why I thought of this.

Extended LOTR
Biblical cut Hobbit

You can't prove me wrong

Alien/s

Gladiator

Batman v Superman

>Sup Forums mods delete a husbando thread.
Umm sweety.

Fellowship most benefits from the extended cut.

I honestly can't remember what's different in Two Towers.

ROTK is the most frustrating. It adds in stuff that's essential and should never have been cut, but it is also over four fucking hours long.

Overall I'd say extended.

Extended is always comfy af but that's preference.

Drop Hobbit. If you must watch it once for cute elf chick and the scene where sauron eats the camera like 20 times.

thats because nobody want to watch more of bvs

theatrical

I'm not sure about the single movies specifically, but I think about half of the additional scenes don't add much value,
25% make it worse, 25% actually are a real contribution

Extended for all. An Unexpected Journey benefited greatly from the extra scenes with Beorn, and the stuff explaining him. The other Hobbit movies had a lot more scenes with stuff happening at Dul Goldur and Thorin's dad Thrain, and that was interesting too. Can't really remember any bad additional scenes.

LotR was long enough without extra scenes, but I've only ever watched the extended editions since seeing them in theaters, so I don't really remember what was different beyond the Mouth of Sauron in RotK.