>rating out of 10
>your thoughts on it / short review

Other urls found in this thread:

toupee.bandcamp.com/track/mommy-is-a-mummy
youtube.com/watch?v=uZfQppN4HwI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

7/10

I've started going through The Residents, and if you played me their first two albums and asked me which was the debut without telling me the title or showing me the cover, I would say this was their debut. It's far less cohesive than Meet the Residents and it really feels like baby steps, but it brings a level of charm and creativity that I can really appreciate. Not as good as Meet the Residents, but still quite enjoyable. Hopefully I enjoy the rest of their discography as much as I liked these first two.

9/10
Listen to this every time I use my car. While the songs themselves are great, I also love the small, intimate feeling the album goes for, as opposed to the somewhat overblown and "flashy" sounding recordings that most people do when they record classical music. This album is particularly influential to my own music, and heavily shaped the two albums i'm working on at the moment.

Natural Snow Buildings - Between the Real and the Shadow
9.5/10

My favourite band.
They have managed to create such a sound untouched by any artist I have ever come across. I have spent the last 12 years trying to find anything that comes close to the quality they release in their one-take, session-esque 'albums', that seem to resemble more of an art of atmosphere than of sound.
This record is amongst their strongest - well that is a loose term, as if you don't like looping drone and freak folk vibes much, then you're not going to get far into the 56 minute long first track.
The second track is a milder 12 minute track which, as per their style, acts as downtime. Almost like a track to use as reflection.

Kick back and get engulfed.

9/10
Trying to get myself into black metal, friends recommended that I listen to this cause it's quite easy to listen to. Really enjoyed the album overall, good instrumentals, great vocals, production was good, I think it was a tiny bit too slow for me at points, but an overall fantastic album

7/10

Dead Hero are a Colombian punk band in Bogota. All of the tracks on this new LP scream punk. They have shouty lyrics and up in your face instrumentation. If you would've given me this album and not told me it was released this year I would've thought you were joking. It's very similar to the 1st/2nd wave of punk. Dead Hero aren't doing any breakthroughs on this record, but it's still very enjoyable.

5/10

I listened through a friend’s recommendation. I really liked the aesthetics and how colorful the guitar sounds, and you can tell they had some good ideas. My biggest complaint is how much the album follows a formula. Except for a few songs, like Bath Salts and Lost, all the songs sound very similar. The sound is so gimmick that it loses the appeal in a few listens. The drums are also leaving much to be desired.

7.5/10

This is my first time listening to an AC album all the way through, and it was quite an experience. It was like going through city streets at night, if the city was also a forest, was also a dream... lyrically, there is a lot to appreciate, and the densely layered vocal arrangements that this group creates are incredibly unique. If I had one complain, it's that they sometimes sound too cluttered to fully appreciate. All in all, a very trippy and esoteric journey. This album has my favorite AC track of all time on it, My Girls.

2.5/5

I listened to it late at night and it just didn't sound like how shoegaze usually does.

Lillerne Tapes Compilation #2

Good range of different lo-fi tape music on here, some of it not really to my taste, but there is plenty that I really like.

One of the standouts was a band on there called Toupée, probably one of the best grunge bands I've heard in recent years, this isn't the track that's on there but I think it deserves wider awareness:

toupee.bandcamp.com/track/mommy-is-a-mummy

Listen to that, so rad

There's also some pretty good instrumental electronic tracks on the compilation that grabbed my attention;

MBV fans will like Gelatin Kids
OPN fans will like Sky Stadium
Jesus and Mary Chain fans might like Shivering Window
Fans of queer house will like Scammers

There's quite a few good ideas on the compilation as a whole, a fair bit of hipster bullshit filler that didn't resonate with me but this is one of the better things I've found on Bandcamp, and I'm definitely eager to find more compilations like this because it's a quick way to find new material to listen to.

7/10

7.5/10
Loki - Trigger Warning LP

Personal rap AOTY

Makes a sorta concept album out of writing semi-fictional narratives based on his own experiences of the class divide growing up, and the differences between that and more recent understandings of 'privilege'.

His lyrics are the centrepiece of the album, giving you something to get your teeth stuck into with each listen, ranging from angry and seething to witty and humorous. It's not just a whinge about "muh class struggle". Loki, if you know him, is incredibly self aware and willing to acknowledge the flaws in the underclass he came from.

Docked points because some of the track production is uninspired and sounds more belonging on a novelty/comedy album. He could've dropped the same rhymes on tracks put together by producers with more of a pulse on current hip-hop trends.

9/10

I love this album so much. I love the way every track has the same elements to make this one big gloomy atmosphere. You could call it samey I guess, but the wispy vocals, echoing guitar and wailing cello/violins just do it for me. The acoustic guitar interludes in some of the tracks are a highlight, as well as that one violin motif that's littered throughout the album.

8/10

Very nice percussion and jangles inspired from traditional african instruments. The typical New Wave sound is cranked up higher and sounds like an amalgamation the 80’s pop, and it works so well. Some tracks like Don’t Give Up can sound a bit too melodramatic for me, however. Regardless, it’s definitely an album for indulging yourself with.

10/10
First time listening, a lot better than I had expected. Favorite track has to be moonchild.

Absolute classic. I'm not a hip-hop aficionado, so I'm aware my criticism will be awful.

Recently I've been interested in listening to the classics –Aquemini, Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers, pic related.

>inb4 newfag

I've no problem saying the beats off pic related have been my absolute favorite since Madvillainy (my only perfect 10/10). Extremely creative use of samples even today–more than 20 years later.

The flow wasn't my cup of tea as it does suffer a bit from that old-school flow (kinda what I struggled with while listening to 3 feet high and riding).

Still, it wasn't really a problem and I thoroughly enjoyed the rapping.

I found myself wanting to play the album again and again –specially "Excursion".

Can't wait to listen to it again while smoking around the city deep in the night.

8/10.

10/10
Otherworldly.

8.5/10
I love Miles' fusion period to death and this is no exception. The first track can meander and drag on a bit but the vibe and musicianship is excellent. The title track is easily one of the greatest moments in music history; the proto-ambiance is groundbreaking and an absolute joy to listen to. All in all I think Bitches Brew is a better album, but In A Silent Way is a very close second

9/10
I really enjoy this album, it's a nice mix of everything I like. I honestly don't even 'dislike' any track, I just like it less than others. If I had to choose, my favourite track would be either Helter Skelter or Back In The USSR.

8.5/10
The LP is two hours long and I went into it thinking it would be a bad ambient album (I knew nothing about sun kil moon) but it kinda blew me away. It was similar to LCD Soundsystem but the instrumentals were more basic. Lyrically he just goes on about anything on his mind and it works really well. I was surprised that it was so good

8.9/10
my favorite RHCP album

pic related
8.5/10
It's very good. It's the Miles Davis quintet with George Coleman instead of Wayne Shorter. And Freddie Hubbard is great.
I like Herbie a lot. Personally, I think Takin' Off is better than this one.

10/10

Essential to any music collection

>Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels to Be Something On
8.75/10
A lot better and more consistent than Diary, and that's saying something, because I already really like Diary. Most of the band's earlier emo sound is thrown out here and replaced with something a bit softer and more layered, along with more abstract and mystical lyrics from Enigk, and far less reliance on playing chords from him and Hoerner. "Pillars", "Two Promises", "Roses in Water", "100 Million" are all very beautiful stand-out tracks, but they're all on the first side -- as such, I think that the album is slightly front-loaded. But the songs are more consistently entertaining, and that, combined with the shorter runtime, now makes this my favorite Sunny Day Real Estate album. Highly recommended.

7.5 to 8/10
I decided to listen to it after seeing it on a list when browsing RYM and t bh it wasn't as good as I remembered. The lyricism felt kinda basic although the instrumentals still are impressive.

9/10
The loud noises hit my ears and I like them

Also, the loud screaming hits my ears and I like it

8/10

Solid album with pretty chill vibes. I didn't really like Open, and Wendy Time was alright, overall very well done and definitely one of their best.

8/10

4th release from this band in 2017, I thought it was great. The mixture of acoustic guitar and synthesisers was excellent, very prog oriented. The drumming was fantastic as always with King Gizzard. The vocals I felt were overall a lot better than previous releases as well. Favourite song has to be Loyalty. Not perfect by any means as a couple of songs on here were kind of forgettable, but overall solid release.

10/10
Every song feels fresh and interesting. The Court of the Crimson King is easily the best track on this album.

8.5/10
Somebody rec me.Great album.The instruments are very math-rocky and I also like the vocal,remind me of jamie stewart.The post-rock interlude at the end of some of the tracks is also a nice touch

6/10 Some of the songs are so damn annoying I think I'm listening to emo.

try ashes against the grain next, it's not as good as the mantle but still very solid

Strong 9.
Consistently strong album-- guitar work is amazing and really shines on every song. The songwriting is perfect for how the drum and guitars play off each other. Lyrically beautiful, a lot of lines hit me hard. Great pacing throughout, and it has such a high replay value.

try benji, it's basically the same album but better

9/10
First time listening to it, at the last track right now. Couldn't really find flaws which are big enough to mention.

9/10

Amazes me that every time I listen to it, it sounds so fresh. Great production by Steve Albini. The album is like a perfect combination of post-punk, indie rock and shoegaze. The heavy, loud and shoegazy parts are balanced with really cool and nonchalant vocals. The lyrics are also very beautiful, telling a story of two lovers cheating with eachother on their husband/wife drifting away.
Very underappreciated album.

9/10

Liked SFTD and like clockwork so i checked this out and was good stuff

James Blunt Back To Bedlam

4/10
There's two standout tracks, and then (almost) everything else is aimless 80s pop. The cover of Femme Fatale is the only track that is bad, they didn't do anything interesting with the song and it just comes off as poor imitation.

hey this is the last album i listened to as well. Can't believe I havent listened to it before, I found it really enjoyable and just liked the way it sounded. I wasnt that big on Revolution 9, I get that its a piece of art meant to symbolise a revolution but I just thought 9 minutes was too long, and I got bored. I'd say my rating would depend on my mood but yea probably a 9.5 out of 10 coz some songs were a little forgettable.

6.5/10

The remixes are the best part. Certain songs were majorly improved by the remix like Drawn to the Blood and Exploding Whale. The outtakes didn't really do anything for me and I can see why they didn't make the album, maybe they'll grow on me.

9.5/10

Listened to this for the first time in it's entirety yesterday and was pure bliss. Such a unique and distinct atmosphere

>Yuya Uchida & The Flowers - Challenge
6.5/10
pretty nice psych influenced hard rock from Japan, the short interludes of the 2 people talking about the album was a cute little bit.

8/10

The weakest Tool album IMO, it goes on for too long and it all sounds the same at a point. Undertow is my favorite of theirs, and Aenima feels like a weaker version of Undertow to transition into the incredible, more progressive half of their career. The first few tracks of the album are among Tool's best, though, and the intermission with what sounds like a chiptune ragtime piece to me, and Die Eier Von Satan are both incredible.

listened to this one last night it was great

>Deftness - White Pony
8.5 to 9/10

Great album, first time i've listened to it in about a year and i honestly forgot how good it is. Best Deftones Record to date and will probably be the best they will ever do. Chinos lyrics are off the chain on this album. Anyone who genres this album as nu metal doesn't know shit (other than back to school, which wasn't originally supposed to be on the record).

Thank fuck Back To School isn't on the album either, it's an awful nu metal song that doesn't match the tone of the album, they were made to record it and put on the album to appease the label looking for a immature song for the middle school kids (hence the horrible music video). Even Chino said Back To School was a calculated mistake.

Not mad btw

>The weakest Tool album IMO

imo Koi no Yokan is better but Deftones has such a solid discography

i love this album but as time goes on i have a lot less of a problem with Back to School than i used to. it is what it is

dat Digital Bath. Solid, solid album.

Nothing ever topped Adrenaline to me, it was the perfect hard rock album. Perfect name too.

My second favorite Deftones album was their demo Like Linus, it's fucking good.
I really wish they would remaster it. It might be better than Adrenaline if they did.

Trout Mask Replica
11/10

7.3/10
Was a little shocked to see that Dolly wrote and produced the opening "Light Of A Clear Blue Morning" alone. I figured parts were borrowed from a traditional folk song or religious hymn, for me it just evokes that timeless feeling? Love how it begins somber and finishes up tempo. Huge gospel influences overall, "There" is straight up Jesus juice stuff but it's a well crafted song. "Applejack" is adorable and I loved her take on Smokey Robinson's "My Girl" (renamed to "My Love"). "How Does It Feel", "Getting In My Way", and "Holdin' On To You" were other standouts, but they're just the typical 70s country stuff nothing that special.

Good to see Adrenaline getting some love, i love it but it can sound pretty samey across the album imo. Although Fireal, Root, Bored and fist are some of my favourite Deftones songs.

side note, i don't understand why there earlier stuff like Adrenaline and Around The Fur are made out to be pure nu metal albums through and through when they just clearly aren't there are lots of different influences in this albums other than nu metal. i mean i'd be lying if there weren't a few nu metal sounds on Adrenaline and Around The Fur but not enough for both the albums to be considered and genred as just nu metal.

The Urge - Master of Styles
10/10
EVERY song is memorable and catchy
Most underrated 90s album.
This band merged so many different genres together to make something great. Usually when bands try to merge too many genres it ends up sounding like a mutt, but they did it and did it great.
They even incorporated the worst genre in the history of music (ska) into something great.

7/10
Really like the electronic influences that are in a good portion of the songs. Lyrically it's typical Korn, for the good and the bad that that implies, albeit a little more mature.
Fav tracks: Prey For Me, Love & Meth, Mass Hysteria, Paranoid And Aroused, Lullaby For A Sadist

Yeh Adrenaline was basic but thats what makes it beautiful. When they toured for Adrenaline they were playing small clubs and they had all had cheap basic instruments, then they got big and got money and Around the Fur sounded a lot more polished and lost the rawness that Adrenaline had.

It gets samey sounding, Undertow did the same style better, and the second half of their career is amazing prog, Aenima is great, but it pales in comparison to their other albums

youtube.com/watch?v=uZfQppN4HwI
this
8/10

name of album pls

8/10, enjoyed it more than previous listenings. I think it's growing on me.

Gotta love the dark themes paired with the sensual atmosphere.

9/10

The whole album is really good but some times it can be a little annoying. It doesn't really affect or hurt the album too much though. Definitely a classic record and one that deserves to be talked about as one of rap's finest works to date.

forgot image

10/10

9th Wonder has been my favorite producer for a while and this album solidified that status. Sample selection, drumwork, and flow of the album overall are just wonderful. A must listen for anyone into instrumental hip hop.

I also happened to forget the image.

>21 Savage, Offset and Metro Boomin - Without Warning
>8/10
After my first listen its a really solid trap album, very atmospheric and dark which I fuck with. 21 Savage is really growing on me, his delivery is really interesting and his pairing with offset works really well for contrast. Some good hooks too.

King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King. Not him btw.

I CALL IT KKK BECAUSE MY CHOPPA HATES NIGGERS

>listening to full albums
come on grandpa, it's almost 2018

MEAT TASTES LIKE SHIT
SPIKES SPIKES SPIKES SPIKES SPIKES

agreed user. this release is a great display on how to make trap.

I don't get why Agalloch is considered black metal. They're not bad, but it's basically neofolk with distortion.

10/10. Flawless.

>2 8 1 4 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)
>7 or 8/10
Was never the biggest fan of vaporwave. Was listening to this while studying and I started paying attention to the music and went almost dozed off. It may sound like a meme, but i found it rather euphoric. I've never done drugs (unless you count IV) but this album makes me want to experiment.

Histoire de melody
Gainsbourg
8/10
Didn't like the retarded laughing on "en melody"
Loved the opening and ending

I normally listen to vaporwave when I am high(weed).

Well, what about Marrow of the Spirit? Regardless I think they're a good transition into black metal

>Animal Collective - Campfire Songs
8/10

I've been binging AC for the last week. The first track didn't do anything for me, but after that I finally got in the mood for this album and I enjoyed the rest. It's a very soothing album, but also very inaccessible. The best way to describe it is ambient folk. I haven't heard anything quite like it before.

8/10

A bit overlong, and especially by the last third it becomes clear that there's quite a bit of filler on this thing. Nevertheless, it's a very solid album. It's lyrics are often thought-provoking, sometimes even moving. The music is moving as well, and is often very "anthemic." It's a rock album that makes prominent use of stringed instruments and ambient sounds. It could almost be called a concept album, there's very clearly a lyrical and musical theme tying all of these 16 songs together.

Overall, it's good a anthemic rock album that has hints of being a concept album. it's just a bit too long.

>8/10
I only got into King Gizz a month or so ago, with this one being my first album of theirs. I had heard about them and their experimental nature and crazy amount of content over the last few years, and a few anons told me that this was the best place to start. I was impressed by the pacing and sound. Very old-school, even if it wasn't anything I haven't heard before (including the looping album concept), but it's tight, well-focused, and does enough to keep the sound addictive and fast-paced. I may get bored of it eventually and drop that lofty score, but it hasn't soured yet.

Still Life

9/10

great concept album with my sexy boi mikael's beautiful voice throughout. Its easily my favourite opeth album purely because of its poetic lyrical concept.

here some more ambient folk for you

8/10
Really cool shoegaze/alternative rock thing, fell of a bit toward the end though, and the second to last song is trash.

9/10 for now

Might be a 10/10. Not fully digested.

I've been on Sup Forums since about 2010 and have never seen The Joy Formidable mentioned on here. That album is underrated as fuck.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening and Closing

7/10

Pretty interesting band who kind of mash together progressive and metal elements with a heavy avant-garde feel.
Album starts of aggressive and takes you on a journey through a weird fairground at night, surrounding you with a group of people that just never sleep, shouting at you for ever sleeping at all...

I made a thread about it yesterday saying the same thing as you, what makes it weirder is that it is not very obscure, a lot of the songs have more than a million listens on Spotify and the others are in the hundred thousands

I haven't listened to this album in a long time, but I remember it being absolutely miserable. And not really in a good way

Thanks user, I'll give it a listen later

8/10 for now

I liked it significantly more than my initial listen. I really like how cozy the understated arrangements and the near-whisper vocals make each song (exception being Cherry Chapstick obviously). I normally love noisy jamz but Cherry Chapstick was a bit underwhelming, especially compared to similar songs on I Can Hear The Heart and Electr-o-pura. Special props goes to Night Falls on Hoboken, but I think my favorite song is Last Days of Disco.

I'm actually listened to the Stone Roses self titled right now but I just finished listening to it.
9/10
This is the third time I've heard the album and before I was not a fan. I was in a really good mood for discovering new music. I had just finished Neil Young' s On the Beach and Ambulance Blues felt like a life changing experience that really opened my eyes. This time when I was listening it was more than just fast aggressive playing and shouted vocals. I could hear clearly now and finally understood the beauty of it. It's amazing underneath all the really nice energetic playing and raw emotional singing there are some beautiful melodies. I was tempered to give it a 10 but I think I'll have to sit with it for s little while before that.

10/10
My 2nd favorite album of all time behind The College Dropout.
Hey mama is the most beautiful song ever recorded. I still find it weird how cuts like Gone, Hey Mama, and Addiction are infinitely better than the lead single Gold Digger.

Listened to this again for the first time in a while. Most of the tracks are just as good as I remember, but I seriously cannot into McVie anymore. Her voice and delivery really just don't do it for me, and it sours Songbird, You Make Loving Fun and Oh Daddy. That aside though, I fuck with pretty much every other song on here, especially Dreams, The Chain, and Gold Dust Woman.
>8/10

either a strong 6 or a light 7
just discovered this album and band today.
i liked the unconventional sounds alot of the songs had, along wiht their very thin light slightly eerie feel.

there wasn't alot of variation in the sound of the individual songs though, they would often sound the same all the way through, which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

it was definetly an unique album and i do think i'll return to in the future if i get in the right mood.

8/10

I'm a big fan of the instrumentals and Loyle's flow, as well as what his tracks discuss. Overall I think it's a strong first with a good mix of songs which show his versatility. Going from Mean it in the Morning to NO CD and Stars & Shards, I don't think Loyle seems out of place in either setting.

I'm not a huge fan of Florence and No Worries but other than those I'll happily listen to everything else. Also a good live presence though he's limited by his relatively small bank of tracks to perform.

phenomenal thread
bump

thats coil for you. their songs are supposed to put you in a sort of trance, turn off the lights and let go

She sucks. If that band came along today she would be told to write songs for Nicks and shut her trap.

I don't understand why you rated it so high if you feel it's so weak.

Would you sincerely rate other tool albums as 9s or even 10s???

Emo pop boi