/Shoegaze/ General

>Do you like it?
>what do you think about it?
>what are you favorite bands/songs/albums from this genre?
>Do you things Shoegazing is a rising music genre or a dying music genre?
>Why does Shoegaze have the most qt3.14s musicians in the industry?

youtube.com/watch?v=Fv9oLv2oEqg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y6CsPstKqpw
youtube.com/watch?v=cGJN2Pbigx8
youtube.com/watch?v=B4E9TS-98Lg
youtube.com/watch?v=AvRl3C7AWWs
youtube.com/watch?v=x8AozvEp_Tw
youtube.com/watch?v=s2hrNjYHbK0
youtube.com/watch?v=5uUoaq_X8oc
youtube.com/watch?v=X09G1bDRocs
youtube.com/watch?v=i23ClZ-Thrg
youtube.com/watch?v=uZS4CG6ipV0
youtube.com/watch?v=NhLNfYNwlHk
youtube.com/watch?v=Eml10UHUP2w
youtube.com/watch?v=KTYF9YNl3-w
youtube.com/watch?v=eBTbH2LlQO8
youtube.com/watch?
youtube.com/watch?v=f4xJ4hZ6toQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7XaypQfd-h0
youtube.com/watch?v=4_HsmLcazZM
youtube.com/watch?v=nx9k6v47h5U
youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w
youtube.com/watch?v=5soixb2U6xM
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0F2s0La5PU
youtube.com/watch?v=U4qdPzZukVM
youtube.com/watch?v=OriSm8tUgi4
youtube.com/watch?v=K4L49XCIPVM
youtube.com/watch?v=Nnm9I8Pk83I
youtube.com/watch?v=fjBSNGFY-kE
youtube.com/watch?v=00QdqnOMERo
youtube.com/watch?v=ozbrMCym6Gw
youtube.com/watch?v=QkdsVpGbMhM
youtube.com/watch?v=ceplcR8G1mI
youtu.be/UKM9gnsTSpM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Do you like it?
Yep, fav genre.

MBV, have a nice life, ride (going blank again), Asobi Seksu, Kinoko Teikoku, Tokyo Shoegazer, Boris (feedbacker/flood), Shoujoskip, early M83, Oeil, early Verve. The dreamier + the noisier = the better.

>Do you things Shoegazing is a rising music genre or a dying music genre?
It's not dying, it's just people keep buying fucking jazzmasters and jaguars and then ripping off Loveless for 20 fucking years instead of experimenting (Japanese are especially guilty of this) and unlocking the full potential of the genre. We could invent whole new genres by merging shoegaze with electronics, jazz, punk and pretty much anything else. When is the era of post-shoegaze already (nugaze is mostly boring and shit)? I gotta just make them all myself I guess.

You should check our Alison Halo and Pia Fraus.

I love Alison Halo, but haven't heard of the latter. Thanks, user.

>It's not dying, it's just people keep buying fucking jazzmasters and jaguars and then ripping off Loveless for 20 fucking years instead of experimenting (Japanese are especially guilty of this) and unlocking the full potential of the genre. We could invent whole new genres by merging shoegaze with electronics, jazz, punk and pretty much anything else. When is the era of post-shoegaze already (nugaze is mostly boring and shit)? I gotta just make them all myself I guess.

That's the best i've read here in a while. That's the problem, the scene is absolutely stagnant.

>shugazi jazz.
Just imagine.

I also agree with the stagnation. Wish a US city would blow up with a shoegaze scene.

sadly Sup Forums doesn't care about shugazi anymore

Do the first two Mercury Rev albums count as shoegaze?

>Do you like it?
ye
>what do you think about it?
many samey sounding bands, which is a shame.
Band: Mob
Album: I Believe in You
Song: youtube.com/watch?v=y6CsPstKqpw

requesting more like any of the following links

youtube.com/watch?v=cGJN2Pbigx8
youtube.com/watch?v=B4E9TS-98Lg
youtube.com/watch?v=AvRl3C7AWWs
youtube.com/watch?v=x8AozvEp_Tw
youtube.com/watch?v=s2hrNjYHbK0
youtube.com/watch?v=5uUoaq_X8oc
youtube.com/watch?v=X09G1bDRocs
youtube.com/watch?v=i23ClZ-Thrg
youtube.com/watch?v=uZS4CG6ipV0
youtube.com/watch?v=NhLNfYNwlHk
youtube.com/watch?v=Eml10UHUP2w
youtube.com/watch?v=KTYF9YNl3-w
youtube.com/watch?v=eBTbH2LlQO8
youtube.com/watch?
youtube.com/watch?v=f4xJ4hZ6toQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7XaypQfd-h0

it's time for Nothing But Dream Pop December boyos (+shoegaze, noise pop, & everything else that falls under /shugazi/ i guess)

youtube.com/watch?v=4_HsmLcazZM

>shugazi jazz

fuuccckkkk I really want this now

I personally always thought it would be cool if bands started bringing back the progressive song structures of bands like Yes from the 70's, and mixing those song structures with rock music advancements that have happened since prog died out. Like imagine a shoegaze prog album, a noise rock prog album, grunge prog, etc. Shit could be fucking cool.

What shoegaze needs is bands that think outside of the box in terms of emotional content that could be expressed by shoegaze. Yes, I love "melancholic but comforting wall of noise over dreamy vocals expressing limerence and heartbreak" as much as the next guy but do we really need another 100 bands that do it when that type of sound was already perfected in the 90s? Generally speaking, the songs you remember are the songs that distinguish themselves from convention (whether that be from creating new sounds, expressing a unique emotion, or just from fantastic melodies).

I was listening to some Debussy earlier this month and was like "damn, shoegaze has a similar hazy, ethereal quality yet nothing in the genre that I'm aware of can evoke the same impressionistic landscapes or delicacy that Debussy or Ravel can." Maybe it's their use advanced harmony, or maybe it's the fact that pianos and orchestras have an easier time playing clear, contrapuntal lines than 2 guitars and bass playing blocked chords over 3 quadrillion pedals. I would like to see shoegaze with quintal harmony.

TL;DR: express more than sad and dreamy pls

>tfw no rachel gf

Also, a lot of shoegaze uses vocals where you can just barely understand the lyrics. I would like to see this done in a more creative fashion.

Take for an instance, MBV's "Sueisfine" where "Sue is fine" slowly morphs into "suicide". I know it's a meme to talk about lyrics in shoegaze but here they're actually pretty clever in the way it merges mental stability and instability through a simple pun, with the overpowering guitars being used to facilitate the shift in meaning. Cocteau Twins do a similar thing in "Lorelei" with the repeated "without a doubt" where it becomes impossible to tell if she's singing "without" or if she's singing "doubt". While the song is pretty much incoherent overall, it's still an excellent example of how she can manipulate the way she sings real words to form ambiguous mouth sounds.
What I would be interesting to hear is a combination of these two different approaches. Take the generally unintelligible vocals and word salad lyrics of Liz Frazer, but enunciate certain words such that their meaning registers, which when added together forms a cohesive mood or idea (ideally supported by the instrumentals) despite essentially choosing words out of a hat from abstracted lyrics. I would like to believe that Cocteau Twins have done exactly this at least once but I don't really know where.

There's Kairon; IRSE!
Good post, great digits. We kind of got the punk crossover happening rn, but I would like to see more blends. The Veldt did something really great with their new EP The Shock of Your Electric Fur: The Drake Equation EP.
Another good post

Also this, Ulrich Schnauss had some great ideas, and it's been almost 15 years ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=nx9k6v47h5U

I love Ozean:
youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w

all Cigarettes After Sex:
youtube.com/watch?v=5soixb2U6xM

Venera 4
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0F2s0La5PU

The Death of Pop super hypnotic song
youtube.com/watch?v=U4qdPzZukVM

Wild Nothing
youtube.com/watch?v=OriSm8tUgi4

Yuno - Sunlight (just heard this song, it's fantastic)
youtube.com/watch?v=K4L49XCIPVM

Other faves:
youtube.com/watch?v=Nnm9I8Pk83I
youtube.com/watch?v=fjBSNGFY-kE

L. Martin (fairly new artist)
youtube.com/watch?v=00QdqnOMERo

More motoric shoegazi from Mahogany:
youtube.com/watch?v=ozbrMCym6Gw

Post-rock + shoegaze at its finest:
youtube.com/watch?v=QkdsVpGbMhM

top tier catgaze tbqh

first for chinkgaze is better than japgaze