Will this ever make it to the silver screen?

Will this ever make it to the silver screen?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/21/the-film-jd-salinger-nearly-made
mega.co.nz/#!c15VQRja!7N5Ken-4jo3R22lWY2uhILc6YJNJ3xwgnjnsY8BlthY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

J.D Salinger made it impossible to do so

No.

Probably, but it shouldnt. The New Yorker just had an interesting piece on how close 'Esme..' came to being a tv movie: newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/21/the-film-jd-salinger-nearly-made

No, it's not really worth it.

Chasing salinger was okay

Fight Club and American Psycho are both better.

i hope not, literature is a little less megacorp than film

This and Boondocks Saints

It's not even good

>DUDE I ACT LIKE A MONKEY AND PISS EVERYONE OFF LMAO
>DUDE I DON'T CARE FOR MY GRADES CAUSE I'M A LAZY FAGGOT LMAO
>DUDE I HAVE A GLARINGLY OBVIOUS AND CRIPPLING GRANNY FETISH LMAO
>DUDE MY PARENTS HATE ME LMAO
>DUDE DO YOU FEEL SYMPATHETIC TOWARDS ME AND THE TEENAGE CONDITION YET? LMAO
>"Finally, after all these years, I guess I truly was the catcher in the rye"

Salinger is a fucking hack

I got a few chapters in and stopped reading. I must have been missing something, it was just boring to me.

You didnt get it, and haven't read his other work, were only forced to read this in class I'm sure

It's a HIGHLY overrated book. Just one of those novels everyone reads in highschool and then when the topic of books is brought up they remember and say "oh yeah I read that! Good book"

Holden is an edgy piece of shit.

This was Kubrick's next film but (((they))) killed him before he could make it.

Nope, read it as an adult, and it's fucking dogshit

Fuck. It seems my high school made me read all the regulars like Mockingbird and Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, etc. all except Catcher. Fugg...

>2deep4u!

>He didn't get it.

Why anyone would take Sup Forums's opinion on literature I'll never understand. I'm not going to spoon feed everything, but -long story short- the message is LITERALLY the exact opposite.

Its almost impossible to misinterpret the book more.

In middle school we were supposed to read it. I randomly turned to the part where he gets the prostitute but pussys out and doesn't want to pay her, so the her pimp comes.

Are we supposed to sympathize with Holden or be like, fuck this guy.

Enlighten me

Read his short story collection. Some are underwhelming, but others have the most sincere, melancholic, brilliant writing I've ever read.

My high school didn't have us read Catcher either because it had dirty words in it and they might have corrupted our fragile, innocent minds.

B-b-but Huck Finn has the evil N-word in it and I grew up just fine. I mean, besides the crippling autism and inability to function in society.

catcher has like 60 scenes where holden tries to fuck some old lady he finds, seriously, this book was basically an outlet for salingers granny fetish

It's about Holden's inability to grow up. Jesus christ. He wanted to fuck some broad, but then he was too scared to do it because he's not ready to be an adult. It's a good book.

No. It's properly rated.

Everyone reads it in high school because it's great literature that is accessible and relatable at that age in a way that many classics are not.

You'll get much better student engagement as a teacher having them read Catcher than you would with something like The Brothers Karamazov.

Stop being such a contrarian, dipshit. You don't know better than the entire last half-century of academia. You're a neet faggot living in a basement.

>relatable

>relatable

dude they don't even have iphone4s!

Holden is a teenager on the cusp of growing up. Like every high school junior/senior. C'mon man. There are better ways to shitpost this book. You could be all

>Holden is a cuck for letting that dude fuck his crush

Relatability is an important quality for literal kids, and for people who don't want to be there.

Its not a bad quality for a book, and doesn't preclude it from being deep or meaningful.

I'm glad there's more than one /lit/ crossposter.

I hope not, it almost certainly couldn't be done justice as a movie. It's not that kind of book. Not to mention it's too "plotless" and would likely bore lots of moviegoers, including myself and I love the book. The book provides all the imagery that story needs. I'm sure Salinger wanted it to be preserved that way for a reason.

You know Kubrick and Salinger were Jews too, right?

t. Holden Caulfield

Consider yourself lucky, now you can read it and potentially enjoy it.
I'll never be able to enjoy To Kill A Mockingbird or Emma. I probably would have if not for high school.

Eventually, but that isn't a good thing. Also the people who think it's a bad book are just holding down the bottom of the bell curve.

Kind of funny considering towards the end of the book, Holden goes nuts trying to shield his little sister from vulgar graffiti.

>Are we supposed to sympathize with Holden or be like, fuck this guy.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

By J.D Ass Nigger

that's not even what happenes

Igby Goes Down comes pretty close to it.

Salinger's a hack

>Why anyone would take Sup Forums's opinion on literature, film, or television I'll never understand

I got lucky that I avoided having to read a lot of those books in school (because i moved around a lot), and so I could approach them later on my own terms.

Conversely I had to read The Good Earth like 5 fucking times.

nah holden would probably be black in it so no never pls god no

No. I certainly hope not. It would be a travesty.

It will be made but Holden will be changed to a black kid.

HOL UP

HOL UP

MISTA SPENCER

U BE SAYIN

U BE SAYIN

*PULLS UP PANTS*

EGYPTIANS WERENT BLACK?

HOL UP

It probably won't become a movie any time soon as it'd either have to be a period piece or they'd have to change it to a modern setting.

If they made it a period piece, liberals would be annoyed about it portraying a white straight male as a sympathetic character even if he's going through the trauma of having witnessed a classmate commit suicide.

If they made it a modern setting then the story would probably not make much sense as we constantly hear stories of people having committed suicide or witnessing killings.

A few decades ago, the idea of kids witnessing or being familiar with those kinds of deaths would have been disturbing, but now it just seems the norm.

Its not a bad book once you get past the boarding school intro.

If I had to explain it to schoolkids I'd describe the book as extremely popular with baby boomers because Holden was cool and back then a sarcastic cynical character like Holden was very rare compared to today when pretty much every liberal blogger sounds like Holden.

Teaching Catcher in the Rye in school with study guides kinda goes against the spirit of the book though.

How about an actual good book that will never make it to the silver screen

The shows within the shows on Bojack Horseman (Hollwoo Stars and Celebrities, Horsin' Around, Mr. Peanutbutter's House, Ethan Around) would probably be better than Bojack.

okay, it has to be said

What the FUCKING FUCK is J.D. Salinger's problem?

>dont adapt anything
>dont publish any of my works
>leave my corpse to rot in my apartment

whats his god damn problem?

Aren't most of his works now in public domain?

Until I can read a copy of the Sea of Bowling Balls one or whatever, I won't be satisfied

it got leaked on what.cd but like, immediately removed and I cant find it again

I hope not. It would just be a giant shit on Salinger. Some studio adapted "Uncle Wrigley in Connecticut", and JD said he would never want his work to be adapted to film ever again.

Plus, Holden fucking hates movies. He gives his brother shit for writing them; the Glass Family also looks down on Zooey for being a screen actor.

Plus Salinger was real life cucked by Charlie Chaplin so he hates all things Hollywood.
Adapt American Tabloid instead. Holy Christ.

I honestly wish the book had been about this instead of a robot cuck who wants to stay a neet.
This is literally the worst book and made me angry just reading about holden. I hate him.
And what's was the with the pedo thoughts near the end with his sister.

mega.co.nz/#!c15VQRja!7N5Ken-4jo3R22lWY2uhILc6YJNJ3xwgnjnsY8BlthY

Here you go, user. I hope it works for you. If not, I have the PDF of the three stories. Another user helped me when I was robotripping and crying about his death, so I hope you will remember this link and pass it on.

btw i am so plz no call me a faggot

I read Catcher in the Rye as an adult one afternoon and it left no impression on me. It was like reading Stephen King.

Not until Salinger finishes his run on Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities What Do They Know Do They Know Things Lets Find Out

damn...................................to intellgent for steven king

Not until 2100 (unless they change the laws). His work is copyright in the US until 90 years after he died.