/prod/

Pastebin Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting, and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

>/prod/ Pastebin -
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV (downloads; further resources)

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (EDM)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/1eRy2pl3vjVi1tW0XU6O_K4kDoUuslH0D/view?usp=sharing
pastebin.com/JzHsjheD
pastebin.com/WsS5BbTB
pastebin.com/Lt9UNwJw
pastebin.com/3DHmcWBE
williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/#dkc_soundfont
javelinart.com/FM_Synthesis_of_Real_Instruments.pdf
clyp.it/o5porrih
clyp.it/dq1j3iwt
clyp.it/kdxnymhe
soundcloud.com/narcoricterys/stormsong-pzl-master
clyp.it/5ek2vyaq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone interested in testing out some M4L plug-ins I've made?

Ty for including the pastebin in the OP

>Anyone interested in testing out some M4L plug-ins I've made?
sure

> DL Link for all 3
drive.google.com/file/d/1eRy2pl3vjVi1tW0XU6O_K4kDoUuslH0D/view?usp=sharing

you’re music is trash

thks

Does anyone have experience with microtuning and .tun files?

I have a list of 128 frequencies I'd like to assign to each key, but I can't seem to get it right.

Is there an easier way to do this?

If anyone's interested, this is the list of pitches (it's Equal Temperament approximated to entire numbers, so without decimals):
pastebin.com/JzHsjheD
And this is the result:
pastebin.com/WsS5BbTB

Playing them in Serum, the pitches are exactly the same as the Equal Temperament until C4, then they start to get all wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, this is the .tun file that Scala made:
pastebin.com/Lt9UNwJw

The one I posted before had the reference pitch changed, but it made no difference whatsoever.

I should also mention that I used the same method to make a .tun file for the Equal Temperament (basically the regular frequencies that synths and instruments use normally), and it works perfectly.
pastebin.com/3DHmcWBE

I exported it as .scl and imported it into Harmor, and the mapping shows the same thing (no change until C4, then all wrong mappings).

what are some good resources for drum synthesis?

What genre (or type of drum)?

any
as long as it's as good as that PDF on emulating real instruments with fm synthesis that was posted here a week or so ago

Then type into YouTube and sort by most views.
Once you learn the general techniques, start practicing by making some yourself.

Making drums is all about developing an ear for what to do to get them right, so practice is the most important part.

>Recording bass/guitar in Logic
>Plugging straight into audio interface and using amp modeling
>Always sounds like total shit
How do I get these to a point where they sound listenable?
I don't really care about sound quality/whether they're lo-fi or not I just want them to be good and not just kind of the thin weak sound they have now

how do i make ambient soundscapes? sytrus looks like a good option for it but idk where to start. I could drown a sample in reverb or stretch it in paulstretch, but that seems lazy, unless that's how other people do it

can I pitch a sample with the ableton sampler ad lib?

>tfw can come up with a catchy melody or a nice chord progression in seconds
>tfw the beatmaking that really matters is tweking shit and changing samples and mixing shit and changing patches and arranging shit and matching sounds
I miss the days when I didn't have good ears so everything didn't have to sound perfect and I thought the struggle was finding the melody

Who do you think that is there?

It's all just reverb and delays and filter sweeps

what do you think ad lib means?...

do you have the pdf you mentioned?

at will? wat do you mean by this?

Of course you can change the pitch of a sample. Have you even tried? What sampler ever doesn't let you?

I've got so much fun with these

williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/#dkc_soundfont

I just wanted a yes/no answer befor I try it in vain

muh dick

Literally all you have to do is play a different note.

is the samples from mars all products pack worth it?

yup
javelinart.com/FM_Synthesis_of_Real_Instruments.pdf

Anyone got/know where to get the Djentbass ERG VST? I can't find it anywhere

thats good

so how long does it take for you to make a living off of this

We're not gonna talk about Judy in this thread, user

>make a living

Lets see, assuming you are .002% of producers that make it.. about 4 years minimum

I started making music 5 years ago and now I've developed a new groundbreaking technique that will revolutionize the whole sound design field.

I'm currently debating with myself whether to keep it as a secret weapon and use it to have a chance at a career, or sell it to a famous producer for millions.

I think Skrillex is probably the only producer who can afford it and would care enough to spend millions on it, so I'm studying every aspect of his personality so I can apply psychology to convince him to buy it.

Wish me good luck.

Good luck.

Thank you.
Now I have everything I need.
Next time Skrillex comes up with some new shit, you know where he got that from.

it's just hybrid granular/fm synthesis isn't it

sure

I'm halfway in and it's the first time that someone explains this shit so that I can understand it. thanks a lot

NO IT'S NOT, SO DELETE YOUR POST QUICK BECAUSE THEE IS NO POINT IT IT BEING HERE GETTING THE THREAD CLOSER TO BUMP LIMIT HAHA LOOK AT THIS GUY BEING WRONG LMAO YOU BETTER DELETE THE POST FAGGOT BEFORE WE ALL MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR BEING WRONG.

does someone know how I can feed the audio output into visual analyzer instead of using the mic?

Anyone have a link/torrent/cracked copy of Image Line's Groove Machine for Mac?? Can only find windows

PLEASE/THANKSS

that's what you deserve for supporting this evil company

Holy shit these threads just keep getting more and more retarded. How does this keep happening

how exactly does one do collabs over the internet?

export individual stems? send the whole project file?

depends completely on your project. I often send project files so everybody can get an overview to be prepared when we meet irl

hey so this track is very much a WIP, all the signals are dry and it's not even kind of mixed functionally

what I want to know is if the beat change is too awkward, like after the intro where it changes speed is it too abraisive

I want to know if it's something I should scrap now before I get any further or if it works

Again, most of the tracks are placeholders at the moment, v v rough draft

clyp.it/o5porrih

does it sound good though

Yes.

>I want to know if it's something I should scrap now before I get any further or if it works
how shall we tell you? if you like it, continue, if not, scrap it. how will you ever develop something like a personal style if you're not selfconscious about your work?

I like it by the way. only the guitar in the second part seems to have a lower note disturbing the harmony throughout the track.

what worked for me: I try not to delude me into thinking everything is just a draft and in the end starting over when I don't like it anymore. every single step has to be pleasing to your ear. it doesn't have to be sophisticated or unique, as long as it pleases you it's almost certain that it will help you develop your own style over time.

>how will you ever develop something like a personal style if you're not selfconscious about your work?
dude you ever listen to a loop for 4 hours straight and kinda lose track of which way is up?
just lookin for thoughts from fresh ears

thanks for the input tho i appreciate it

>what worked for me: I try not to delude me into thinking everything is just a draft and in the end starting over when I don't like it anymore. every single step has to be pleasing to your ear. it doesn't have to be sophisticated or unique, as long as it pleases you it's almost certain that it will help you develop your own style over time.
dude i could never work like that, I would get so bogged down with making stuff sound right that I would lose my creative train of thought real quick

everything is a draft until the day it's out desu, if it feels like it's set in stone then I get paralyzed. different strokes man

if pleasing others is your main goal than your work ethic is fine. I like to play around, develop and discover new sounds and forms and if I have something worth listening to in the end then I'm happy, but if not I don't get depressed like so many others.
I was not like that for years and struggled all the time, had no output at all. Since I'm not looking for the result I produce actually stuff. It amy seem paradox but it's just like that. The more you're concerned about the outcome the more you stay in your way.

hey man believe it or not everyone's creative process is different
glad your happy with your work or whatever but keep your condescending bs to yourself pls

>everyone's creative process is different
only that you won't develop style if you're constantly comparing yourself to other artists. that's actually the essence of my statement and it's true for every human being

where is this stuff even coming from lol
i've never seen someone project so hard

>where is this stuff even coming from lol
I'm not sure if you're only trying to be a dick. confronting yourself with already existing art is the number one destroyer of motivation. try-hards are never going ot produce anything worthwhile and should look for something that they genuinely like. the best proof that you found your true talent is that you don't care what others say because you like to do it and you would continue to do it if you were the last person on earth. In my opinion anything you do to impress others is a waste of time

but like
where did i even say i was trying to impress others
or anything like that
i dunno man we exchanged like three sentences and you're coming at me with this weird psychoanalysis thing

may original post literally began with this statement

oh i get it now

Do you honestly think because I asked for some outside opinions that I only care about impressing people? Then you go from there to assuming I don't actually like making music genuinely, and don't have intrinsic motivations.

Like do you see what insane leaps your making

There's nothing wrong with sharing music man, it makes people happy and it inspires others to go on and make things in turn.

ok you're the guy who posted the clip.

>I want to know if it's something I should scrap now before I get any further or if it works

that doesn't sound like 'what should I change in the mix' or 'what notes could I add to that chord'. It sounds like 'if you don't like it I won't work any further on it'

Oh my god I wish you would've just not replied in the first place fuck man

Obviously it's my choice and I am going to be the one to decide, I was looking for input from people who haven't heard it 2000 times today to see if it comes off as offputting

I'm not asking you to tell me what to do, I am asking what you think, so I can hear how it sounds to someone new.

why do you come to this thread about composition discussion if you're just going to shit on people who want to discuss their compositions

being this butthurt... it actually shows how far you still are from creating something of value. I can gladly say that I make better music than you and that's mostly due to the fact that I don't care about the opinion of others.

how can you be this stupid
do we have like a language barrier or something

i sort of know this feel. I had been composing for years before I got into production and the stuff that sounded awesome in my head sounded like crap in the DAW, no matter how perfect it was.

It still does ;_;

>who want to discuss their compositions
I discussed your 'composition', gave advice and just made a remark that we are not the ones to tell you if you should continue working on it or not. I'm really surprised how that could upset you so much. It seems I hit a weak spot there.

just as we're talking about it... do you see how much this issue is standing in the way of so many people?

>hey skrillex, check out what i did with this EQ

clyp.it/dq1j3iwt

This is what I've been working on. Is it as decent as I think it is?

it makes me angry because it's not bad but the mix is horrible. clipping throughout the track, no dynamics and bad balancing.

I like the percussion a lot

clyp.it/kdxnymhe

A quick little interlude I put together earlier.

I haven't done anything to the mix yet, I've just been trying to get the song out.

I don't understand what's so great about Kontakt. It's just a sampler.

I've even watched in-depth videos to see what the fuss is about, but I can't see it myself.

It's a really good sampler, and there's a fuckload of extremely good libraries that have been made for it.

Let's talk composition /prod/. I just started going back and watching Rick Graham's Guitar School videos on youtube again because I never finished them the first time, and the one on octave displacement really got me hyped.

The video is meant to help get more comfortable with the guitar, but essentially what he does is play a major scale up and down stepwise, but shift the octaves of the notes around so you get these really huge sounding intervals.

I've unintentionally done this kind of stuff in my tracks before, but never really gone out and tried it on purpose. Anybody here like to use octave displacement specifically?

you mean basically stacking ninth? I guess that's more like a soundeffect than something melodic

what the fuck Sup Forums why can't I post

okay so I can only post when I'm asking why I can't post?

soundcloud.com/narcoricterys/stormsong-pzl-master

I keep trying to post this fucking track so you stupid fucks can listen to it but Sup Forums keeps flagging it as spam and I can't fucking figure out why. Are we not allowed to post soundcloud links now?

With that specific pattern yeah, but the idea is to do it with any interval. Basically just take a melody and shift notes in it around by an octave

It doesn't have a similar melodic effect at all. The intervalic distance is very important in a melody. Much more noticeable than say inverting a chord.

Its a virtual instrument host, don't even use the sampler. Can't do that with soft synth easily

Thinking about getting into entry-level recording/production of original works. I would be doing multi-track recording, mostly of myself and maybe a guest percussionist/backup vocalist. I do vocals, piano, acoustic guitar, upright bass, electric bass, cello, simple percussion/auxillary percussion, and saxophone. I have several cables, so I just need a solid mic, an audio interface, and a DAW. I'm looking at the AKG P420, the Behringer U-phoria 404, and Presonus Studio One 3. Thoughts?

you'll need an acoustically treated room in order to get decent recordings of those instruments, and different types of mics. but yeah all of that stuff seems fine

I have access to rooms at a local uni. What kind of mics would you recommend? I've only seen people do condenser mics, and this one seems to fit the bill in terms of versatility and price range

i havent had any problems today

I'm looking to buy a synthesizer. Something affordable for an amateur musician just getting started. Does it make much difference which one I get or should I look for a specific type? Anything else I should be aware of?

I'm just going off reviews at the moment but they mostly talk about quality and value rather than whether it's good as a starting point.

does anyone know any extremely diverse artists?

i need this for inspiration because I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I make one pop track and then move on to ambient soundscapes

ferraro only comes to mind

Keyboard is broken so have no clue where to go after the 2nd chorus for the bridge part of the song clyp.it/5ek2vyaq

Any tips?

Its impossible to pick a bad one

where the fuck is the frequency oscillator in helm?

i literally can't change the pitch. i searched the manual and there's no mention of it. i'm trying to modulate the pitch with an LFO or filter surely there must be a way of doing it, right?

Are you the guy who was asking if Sampler in Ableton could play different pitches?

nope. I'm using FL. however, I'm currently trying out Helm as a standalone soft synth.

Aren't you just looking for Tune and the settings next to it under oscillator? Am I misunderstanding the question?

I've never heard anyone refer to a frequency oscillator, only an LFO, which should be obvious.

lol no

Lol yes they call it "transpose" on this. I *think* that means pitch. It certainly sounds like it.

My question was essentially how to create a vibrato. Normally I just modulate pitch with an LFO but I couldn't find the pitch knob.

Using the "transpose" knob I think I've done it now.

Thanks buddy!