Why did Disney turn Star Wars into a Marvel movie?

Why did Disney turn Star Wars into a Marvel movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/05/19/oscar-isaac-star-wars-the-force-awakens-lines-poe-dameron-rolling-stone/84582026/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Marvel invented snappy dialogue

You wish

usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/05/19/oscar-isaac-star-wars-the-force-awakens-lines-poe-dameron-rolling-stone/84582026/

Oscar adlibed it, and Oscar is our guy so don't talk bad about him.

Marvel have perfected obnoxious, insipid, tension-shattering dialogue.

I agree that Oscar is, dare I say it, /ourguy/ but even, dare I say it, /ourguy/ can make mistakes.

First of all it annoys me that some nobody-writer thinks he can make such sweeping statements about an intellectual property that isn't his - he was fucking 8 when Star Wars came out. Secondly, why would you draw racial lines across a fantasy movie like Star Wars with the countless races and creatures that have featured in the series? The empire was white in ANH but then so was everyone else. In TFA there were multiple black people in the Empire or whatever the fuck the new faction is called. I think people have a right to be annoyed and question why this guy is unnecessarily inserting his half-baked political assertions into a movie series that doesn't belong to him and doesn't need this kind of publicity to sell tickets.

Because he doesn't actually know the Star Wars universe.

He doesn't know that this chick is one of the highest ranking Imperials after Endor

How much of this shit can we expect in the next month?

Maybe I'm just older now but i don't always remember movies being promoted so much through the scope of politics.

>i don't always remember movies being promoted so much through the scope of politics.
Consider where you are. A website where a devoted group of autists will sift through every single clickbait article until they can cherry pick examples to validate their personal narrative and/or persecution complex. `

>why would you draw racial lines across a fantasy movie like Star Wars
Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy. Bust this: Those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down, even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit: You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!

because they want the reddit audience
(and they got it)

This.

Dude Episode 1-3 had quips flying left and right. Even 4 had humor
>aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?

Disney just actually has good comedic timing.

>Anakin leaps out of the flying car during high traffic
>Obi-Wan: "I hate it when he does that."

WOW HOLY SHIT WHEN DID STAR WARS BECOME GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

This upsets me so much. This guy was paid to write for a franchise he knows nothing about.

it's more about the times we live in and the death rattle of pc culture

I just don't know what is stupid on purpose or by nature anymore ... i just want overly politicing everything nightmare to end.

Why can't we just watch a movie about space combat without it meaning vote left or vote right?
I am so tired of this.

the problem is that these examples both fit the lighthearted nature of their respective scenes. in OP's pic Poe has just seen an entire village get gunned down and his buddy get decapitated. it makes no sense for him to make a joke, especially this kind of self-conscious awkward quip. like others have stated it ruins the tension and atmosphere of the scene

Correct.

>"we want GotG bux" - George Lucas, 1999

You have a point with people giving into the fucking articles that are supposed to enrage -- that shit earns them money and if people didn't click it they'd stop doing that kind of thing.

I, however, disagree about sifting and cherry-picking. It doesn't take that long to find articles like this. Having that said, some go looking for it and if you're looking for something long enough you're eventually going to find it.

Pic not related, just funny.

because you assholes keep on watching them

Disney didn't change Star Wars. You just became more of a douchebag intent on bandwagon contrarianism as your latest adopted 'personality'.

Regarding the pic, as soon as he uttered that line, my heart sank. I knew it was going to be balls.

Regarding your question, because they discovered the secret recipe. They mix all the essential ingredients into a pan, throw it into the oven, and pull out 1.07 billion dollars.

then there's this retard here

>reshoots to include quips

The Disney train going full Marvel.

Yeah, I'm left with the feeling he was just cracking a joke during the shoot, because before any post-production foley work, it probably was difficult to hear Driver. It was then decided that it would be left in because fast, witty comments equals cold, hard cash.

>in OP's pic Poe has just seen an entire village get gunned down and his buddy get decapitated.
As opposed to Leia, who just watched her planet, and by extension, everyone she had ever known and loved destroyed by space Hitlers, and was presumably waiting to be executed.
The quippiness in TFA bothered me but it was because everyone was doing it all the time. It feels appropriate for someone like Poe, a badass fighter jock, to be making the smartass and inappropriate comments in the face of danger.

It angers me how unfunny the jokes in this were.

>BB-8 thumbs up LOL

People like garbage.

How's that different to Luke seeing the charred remains of the two people who raised him from a newborn and then just bailing, not even any time for mourning.

Ahh yes. The reshoots with additional story written and overseen by Tony Gilroy, noted for his immense quipping from the Bourne series and Michael Clayton.

>It doesn't take that long to find articles like this.
If you go looking for it, exactly.
My only exposure to this garbage is by osmosis on Sup Forums.

Luke was obviously scared and didn't want to hang around in case the empire was still nearby.

truly a man ahead of his time

>How's that different to Luke seeing the charred remains of the two people who raised him from a newborn and then just bailing, not even any time for mourning.
That's actually pretty textbook avoidant behavior. Also Muh heroes journey. Luke's aunt and uncle dying was severing the last ties he had from the mundane world as he accepts the call.

About a year ago, I was on a flight from Orlando to Philadelphia, so enough time to take in a movie. I settled on Ant-Man, as I wanted something that I could doze off to and I had heard positive reactions.

I had a window seat right next to one of the rather loud engines of the A320, so I had to turn on subtitles. I also forgot to pack my over-the-ear headphones, so all I had were my Apple earbuds.

So, I watched Ant-Man for the first time on a 6 inch screen, on third of which taken up by subtitles, with dialogue barely audible due to shitty earbuds and my close proximity to a jet engine.

That experience was still more enjoyable than seeing TFA in the theater.

What's a nubian?

>tfw shooting a boring scene and scared to tell stupid jokes because the director might like it and show it to millions of people worldwide

>ant man on a tiny screen
so you got the definitive viewing experience, what's the problem?

The movie already established his strong desire to leave Tatooine and his resentment towards his requirement to do work he didn't enjoy. His devotion to his family was the only thing keeping him there.

His aunt and uncle dying severed his last connection to that world, which he never really considered "home." Combine that with Ben piquing Luke's interest with stories about his father, and its no wonder he skipped town.

>decide to crack a joke on set during scene
>think it's witty
>director shouts cut, calls me reddit, and tells me to GTFO

Such is the industry.

>implying it was anything good before

>Darth vader! I've come to rebel!

Seriously?

Either way, it completely took me out of the movie. People are being blown away left and right, and the first order is about to torture the piss out of him, why is he cracking wise?

>Dark Veider
Aint no punky ass whitey gonna talk back to me
>chokes lip and general
thas righ

>mfw i heard someone talking about how disney needs to copy the marvel formula and make the episodes into their version of the avengers movies and have the spin offs focus on the side characters

Just fucking shoot me.

>why did Disney turn a Disney property into a Disney property?

I l-liked that one ;_;

makes him seem like kind of a dick, but I'd probably do that same thing

>makes him seem like kind of a dick
Haven't you seen the movie? Luke is a whiny dick for a solid 2/3rds of the movie until Obi Wan dies and he has to take up the mantle of the last jedi.

i haven't seen it in a while

Well yeah, he was young and very idealistic, but emotionally immature and took the comforts of his life for granted.

It's almost like he knew he wasn't going to die