Step onto the teleporter user

>Step onto the teleporter user

How do you respond?

>YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE

Sure thing. Since I go to sleep each night and lose consciousness, I'm still the same being who is constructed of my matter on the planet's surface below.

>The teleporter malfunctions, an exact duplicate of you arrives at the destination but you still stand on the teleporter platform. The crew of your starship look confused at first but slowly start to reach for their Phasers

How do you respond?

You would still die though. Your consciousness would end. Even though your beamed down version would be identical in every way, their consciousness would be separate.

>takes off clothing

>implying I'd ever get in one of those things
Get me a god damned shuttle

thomas riker was a clone the transporter couldnt erase because of technical problems.

its a section 31 cover up.
distortion fields dont reflect transporter beams.

Don't they send the atoms from the original down to the planet?

"Find the royal smart person so we can figure this out." Every ship has one.
Don't you understand? Consciousness is a myth. You're never more than the current collection of atoms at that given moment.

ask them to make a dozen copies of myself so I would have an army of self slaves that would all work together to further our selves.

>Consciousness is a myth

[citation needed]

>tfw you make a self slave army but one of them becomes the alpha and now you're the slave

>Consciousness is a myth
The soul might be a myth, but consciousness isn't. It's a difficult scenario because it's so, well, dumb. The amount of energy required to take a person apart by the molecule and reassemble them somewhere else is absurd. But, for the sake of it being midnight and I'm bored, here's my admittedly poor attempt to explain why things like this or copying someone's brain are scary.

Say you're in a house, looking out a window at a tree. In the house next to yours is an identical copy of yourself. He's also looking out a window at the exact same tree. Would you see the tree from 2 different angles or would two separate people see the tree from two separate houses? If you believe the latter like I do, if someone closed your window, your duplicate would still see the tree while you couldn't. From that instant onward, he would cease being a copy and there would be two versions of yourself, one that is looking at the tree and one that isn't. And if the house you're in collapsed, you would die and your duplicate would continue to exist. You wouldn't think anymore and experience death. Your duplicate, despite being exactly like you, would still be looking out of his own window.

tl;dr: this shit is weird.

Yeah but who gives a fuck about looking at a tree? Just conceptualize how much information you've absorbed is completely forgotten. A substitute teacher's name, where you parked your car, a co-worker's birthday.

This things are not the ineffable thing that make you who you are, but meaningful experiences are.

It's a good thing consciousness is an illusion that enforces self-preservation or I'd be worried

But it's all me? Why would I betray myself?
I feel like we'd all work together to do whatever we wanted, sure we'd become different people the longer we lived, but we'd be closer than brothers.

I gradually replace the nerves in your brain while you sleep with identically functioning machines

Are you still you?

If I gradually replaced them while you were conscious, would it make a difference?

no neelix sorry
also the after life doesnt exist.

>This things are not the ineffable thing that make you who you are, but meaningful experiences are.

This is subjective nothingness.
Please try again, need hard stuff, not gooey ephemeral poetry.

Holy shit... is this novel?

That's a really good question

Of all the Trek topics we've buried 100 feet into the Earth, this one never stops being exhumed.

Let it go. You live. No, you die. No, wait, it's both.

No wait, nothing happens at all.

I'm right in each context.

Thread's over guys, go to bed.

The question of what makes "you" is a difficult one. And a horrifying one if you fear death like me.

Do you have an Alcor contract?

No, I should get one. I think my Christian family would flip shit though.

You know the likelihood that you'd be revived is near zero?
Look up "Ted Williams Head Alcor" to find out how that company treats the corpses.
It's a great scheme for people who can't compromise with the finality of death.
There is nothing to provide the customer with the ease of knowing anything in his brain will be preserved.

Yeah, families can fuck your shit especially if you have any assets. There are cryonics lawyers.

Do you at least do a calorie restricted diet? Have you considered popping billions of vitamins, nootropics and other pills on a daily basis ala Kurzweil?

>beam me in titcow's udders pls

Cryopreservation is just buying a lottery ticket. Longshot, but you can't win if you don't play.

Natural disaster, government policy, family interference, sabotage... there are lots of ways your cryostorage will end in burial. It's happened before. Still, if you have the means, why not buy a ticket?

Not even billionaires like Rockefeller are immune to aging.

They have entire teams of doctors, chefs, and schedulers to maximize every last drop of time so that the least amount of life is expended and the more amount of time gained alive is added.

They still are desperately running from the great cosmic transporter that will beam them into the Divine Treasury.

I choose to believe that the transporter leaves you intact on some physical level, some characters have been shown to be conscious when in the matter stream. The idea that everyone in the federation has embraced the idea that they are no more than the sum of their molecules and yet continue to spread across space like a virus flies in the face of the core message of Star Trek

your chances are only slightly better than an Egyptian mummy

Egyptian mummies might still one day be resurrected.

all the kings horses and all the kings men

Rockefellers have done many evil deeds and would probably go straight to Hell when they died, so that makes sense.

Good people like you or I have nothing to worry about, as we are destined for Heaven.

The King's horses and his men -- all of them together -- do not have the same capabilities as one SIAI

>teleporter
>teleporter

I'd tell you to fuck off because you don't even know it's called a transporter so I doubt you're rated to use it.

>Still, if you have the means, why not buy a ticket?
What if the guy who resurrects you is the unethical type and uses you as an untraceable human guinea pig for all eternity?

I'm getting cremated.

Blood infusions from children can reverse the ageing process. I dunno about the Rockerfellers but I think you'd have to be naive to believe nobody is doing that right now.