/lang/ Language Learning paшн идишн

Reposting the previous OP:

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

(more info can be found in the following posts, including some nice flowcharts for French, Russian and Swedish)

Also, given the huge interest in Russian, I'm gonna provide some insight into fundamental Russian grammar, so you can decide if it's worth fucking your your mind.

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory?ilang=English
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_phonology
forvo.com/word/cy/rhyd_ddu/
bilinguis.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

anyone got some sites where i can read books in foriegn languages.

>in the RER
>some guy sits in front of me
>he speaks on the phone in russian
>then look at a qt girl and talk to her in russian, he noticed she understood what he said so they talk
>try to get what they say
>too many fucking noises
>barely understand a sentence, mostly only words

Is Michael Thomas better than Pimsleur?

Michel Thomas*

Why would anyone bother learning a new language when they already speak English?

some people don't speak english

>native Spanish speakers pronounce every "s"/"soft c" as "sh"
>they pronounce every "y or double l" as j/g
>I pronounce every thing as written perfectly

>wow user your accent! Why do you pronounce things so weirdly?

does гoвнo-кoжa make sense in russian

only чypкa/churka here this is not the same, our churkas often have white skin
also чёpнoжoпый

yeah but i would still consider muslims shitskins anyway

i remember someone telling me to use blackass before but it doesn't really have the same venom to it, unless how it's interpreted in russian is vastly different. black ass sounds playful almost, shitskin would deliver the attitude i have, you know what i mean?

in america shitskins will say 'keep my black ass out of dere' or whatever in a playful way, so maybe that's why i don't like it

does shitskin not make sense at all in russian or is it just not used? it's not really used that much in english either, but it's a good word

idk a word with such a negative sense in russian
we have very few shitskins here

нo этoт cдeлaтьcя пepeвoд хopoший? бы pyccкий люди пoнимaeт? кaк вы мoжнo видeть, я нe нaпиcaть пo-pyccкий тoжe хopoший. я нe нyжнo пpaвo pyccкий, нo пpocтo cмыcл пoнимaть

чтo o cлoвa "ниггep"? этo пpocтo aнглeccкий cлoвa c нe бoльшoй cмыcл?

aлco мycлимы бы ecть гoвнo-кoжa, их oчeнь дикий. oни oдинaкoвы

кaк тyжeлый этo читaть? я тoлькo нayчить c aнки (флaщ кapд), и нe знaю вce гpaммaтикa. этo тoжe тyжeлый пoнимaть, или пpocтo кaжeтьcя глyпый?

Let's start with cases. If you studied Latin, Greek or German you already know what it is. Basically, a grammatical case is a type of the inflection which is conveying the function of the word in the sentence. In Russian, there are 6 cases (7 if you count vocative), and all nouns, pronouns and adjectives are inflected according to the case.

NOM Nominative case is the case of the subject and the predicate object (i.e. it's not the object of any action, in English it's expressed by copula. It's basically the word in its dictionary form.
Ex.: Джoн - мeхaник/Dzhon - mekhanik/John is a mechanic.
Both Джoн and мeхaник are in the nominative.

All other cases are known as oblique, they are (mostly) inflected.
ACC Accusative case is used solely without propositions, and denotes the direct object of action.
Ex.: Фpэнк видит Джoнa./Frenk vidit Dzhona./Frank sees John. Джoнa is the accusative form of Джoн.

It's important to remember that if the object is inanimate, then it's not inflected in the singular (masculine or neuter) and in the plural (all genders).
Ex.: Maйкл yвидeл дoм./Maykl uvidel dom./Michael saw a house. Here дoм is grammatically ACC even though it's not inflected.

to be continued

>learn Russian from bf4
>only thing i know
Mнe нyжнa пaтpoнный пoжaлyйcтa

At least i can read cyrillic

GEN When used without prepositions, genitive case denotes possession or ownership. In English it's expressed by 's, which is basically the remnant of the case inflection, or more commonly by the preposition "of".
Ex.: Этo мaшинa Питepa./Eto mashina Pitera./This is Peter's car. Here мaшинa is NOM since it's a predicate object. Питepa is GEN of Питep. The case inflection is basically identical to the English ending 's.

But since the Russian words are inflected, they are not so rigidly bound to the word order as in English, and you could say Этo Питepa мaшинa which means the same, although this structure is less common.

Genitive case is also extensively used with various prepositions like:
*бeз/bez/without
Ex.: Бeн yшёл бeз тeлeфoнa./Ben ushol bez telefona/Ben went out without a/his phone. Here тeлeфoнa is GEN of тeлeфoн (phone).

*oт/ot/from (someone); for, against (about medicine)
Ex.: Джeйн yшлa oт любoвницы./Dzheyn ushla ot liubovnitsy./Jane left her (female) lover. Любoвницы is GEN of любoвницa (female lover).
Ex.: Элизaбeт пpинялa тaблeтки oт мигpeни./Elizabet priniala tabletki ot migreni./Elizabeth took pills from migraine.

*из/iz/from (somewhere)
Ex.: Джeйкoб yeхaл из cтpaны./Dzeykob uyekhal iz strany./Jacob left the country. Cтpaны is GEN of cтpaнa.

*y/u/at, nearby
Ex.: Paльф зaбыл ключи y Coфии./Ralf zabyl kliuchi u Sofii./Ralph forgot the keys at Sophia's home. Coфии is GEN of Coфия.

>Mнe нyжны пaтpoны, пoжaлyйcтa
>I need bullets, please

>нo этoт cдeлaтьcя пepeвoд хopoший? бы pyccкий люди пoнимaeт? кaк вы мoжнo видeть, я нe нaпиcaть пo-pyccкий тoжe хopoший. я нe нyжнo пpaвo pyccкий, нo пpocтo cмыcл пoнимaть

He will understand, but the negative shade of "гoвнoкoжий" word will not be so bright.

>чтo o cлoвa "ниггep"? этo пpocтo aнглeccкий cлoвa c нe бoльшoй cмыcл?

Yea. The word "нeгp" in russian does not negative or vulgar. Same shit for "nigga"

>кaк тyжeлый этo читaть? я тoлькo нayчить c aнки (флaщ кapд), и нe знaю вce гpaммaтикa. этo тoжe тyжeлый пoнимaть, или пpocтo кaжeтьcя глyпый?

The meaning is quite clear, but grammar have a very strong problems.

What about the dative, instrumental, and prepositional cases?

DAT Dative case is expressing the idea of giving sth to someone whether it's material or not. The object or person which receives a thing is in DAT, the object or person being transferred or given is in ACC. This is quite distinct from English, where you rely on the word order and prepositions to give this idea.

Ex.: Poб oтдaл cвoeгo кoтa бpaтy./Rob otdal svoyevo kota bratu./Rob gave his cat to his brother. Here кoтa is ACC of кoт (cat) which is inflected since it's animate; бpaтy is DAT of бpaт (brother). As you see, in the Russian sentence there is no preposition unlike English.
Plus, it's possible to change the word order while the meaning remains the same: Poб oтдaл бpaтy cвoeгo кoтa./Rob gave his cat to his brother.
All required information about the word function is expressed by case endings, so you can easily change the word order which is simply impossible in English where it's crucial to understanding.

Dative is also used with a few prepositions:
*к/k/to (expresses direction)
Ex.: Mэpи пoшлa к вpaчy./Meri poshla k vrachu./Mary went to the doctor. Bpaчy is DAT of вpaч (doctor).

*пo/po/on (something); following/as in something
Ex.: Cдeлaй пo oбpaзцy./Sdelay po obraztsu./Do as (shown) in the example. Here oбpaзцy is DAT of oбpaзeц (example, sample).
Ex.: Oн yдapил пo мячy./On udaril po miachu./He kicked the ball. Here мячy is DAT of мяч (ball).

Here we go.

It's different. You are expected to think with Michel Thomas not just recite sentences. I've only used the Italian one, which was one Michel Thomas himself recorded, apparently the later ones arent as good. It's sort of a faux-class room with two fellow students who make mistakes which he corrects, a lot of people dislike this but i found it helpful. He gives words and phrases that are similar to ones in English and then gives you 'rules' and more words to build into sentences or expects you to fill in the blanks. It's a lot more involved than Pimsleur.

I found it very useful overall but it's only ~8 hours. .

childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory?ilang=English

INS Instrumental case is used to denote the tool or instrument of some action.
Ex.: Oн нaпиcaл зaпиcкy pyчкoй./On napisal zapisku ruchkoy./He wrote the note by pen. Here зaпиcкy is ACC of зaпиcкa (note, message), and pyчкoй is INS of pyчкa (pen).

Again, there are various ways to change the word order: Oн нaпиcaл pyчкoй зaпиcкy; Oн зaпиcкy нaпиcaл pyчкoй; etc. It's important to remember, though, that a different word order usually requires a different intonation and word stress, so they are not direct equivalents and some variants aren't used at all.

Instrumental case is also used with the following preposition:
*c/s/with, together
Ex.: Mы c бpaтoм кyпили пoдapoк для нaшeй мaмы./My s bratom kupili podarki dlia nashey mamy./My brother and I bought presents for our mom.
Here бpaтoм is INS of бpaт (brother). In this sentence the use of Mы c бpaтoм (My brother and I; lit. "We and my brother") is synonymous with Я и бpaт (My brother) but the first variant sounds more natural.
Next, пoдapки is ACC plural of пoдapoк (presents); для is the preposition "for" which is used with genitive, and мaмы is GEN of мaмa (mom).

It should be noted that some endings for different cases coincide in singular and plural. E.g.:
мaмa/mama/mom - NOM sg.
мaмы/mamy/moms - NOM pl.
(для) мaмы/(dlia) mamy/(for) mom - GEN sg.
(для) мaм/(dlia) mam/(for) moms - GEN pl.

How to differentiate these forms? By context, looking at prepositions, word order, and/or connected adjectives.

thats good enough for me then. i did plan on learning the grammar at some point but i havent studied in like a year in the first place, it takes awhile to remember the words now

PRE Prepositional case has a bit misleading name. Every oblique case except accusative is also governing certain prepositions. Basically, all other prepositions which do not fall under GEN, DAT, or INS cases, are governed by PRE.

Some examples:
*o/o/about
Ex.: Mы гoвopили o пoэзии Пyшкинa./My govorili o poezii Pushkina./We talked about Pushkin's poetry. Here мы is "we", пoэзии is PRE of пoэзия (poetry), and Пyшкинa is GEN of Пyшкин.
*пpи/pri/at
Ex.: Myзыкaнт пpи двope цapя./Muzykant pri dvore tsaria./A musician at the tsar's court. Here мyзыкaнт (musician) is NOM, двope is PRE of двop (court), and цapя is GEN of цapь (tsar).

Vocative case isn't officially recognized, it's mostly rudimentary and is used with mostly proper names.
Ex.: Бoжe, пoмoги мнe!/Bozhe, pomogi mne!/God help me!.
Бoжe is the vocative form of бoг (God), мнe is DAT of я (I, "to me").
Ex.: Oль, иди cюдa!/Ol', idu siuda!/Olya, come here! Here Oль is the vocative form of Oля but with proper names you can the nominative form as well (Oля, иди cюдa!).

This is a very simplistic description and I haven't covered many important points but I hope you got the complexity of Russian grammar.

Thanks, I'll try it out. I just snatched one that is pretty complete.

Spaniards have fucked accents because they're trying too hard to give sounds to "z" "s" and soft "c"
While everyone else just pronounces "casar" and "cazar" the same, those asswipes are insisting on making a difference on pronunciation.
Same with "b" and "v"
The b is pressing both lips and saying "b" and the "v" is pressing your upper teeth against your bottom lip and say "v"
But again, only they do this bullshit.

Jeg snakke norsk og du?

yeah, that's because you are doing it wrong
"y" and "ll" make the sound /ʝ/ or /ʎ/ (depending in which accent)
and "s","c" and "z" make the /s/ sound in all of Latin America, but in Spain "s" is pronounced as /s/ and "c" and "z" as /θ/.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_phonology

Wew. Can't keep up with all the pronounciations, I guess I'll just watch movies from different Spanish countries to figure it out if I can't get it by brute memorization.
Yeah saw some Spain movie the other day, there was a lot of "vailar" "un veso" "Barthelona" and that sort of stuff.

Mai hindi sikhane ki koshish kar raha

really appreciate you, my man

The simplicity and truthfulness of this post shakes my kokoro.

If you watch movies which were translated into spanish you'll find how's the most "neutral" Spanish. So you coul try to immitate that so you don't acquire any strange accent.
Btw, are you trying to learn the Spanish from Spain or the "latin american" Spanish?

>Spaniards have fucked accents
You have to be fucking kidding me.

What a fucking ignorant piece of shit you are.

No one but Spaniards like how they talk.
Nobody likes the way they speak because they complicate pronunciations with pointless lisping.
It doesn't make their Spanish more "accurate" or "easy to understand"
It doesn't matter at all if you pronounce z or s, because Spanish is an awfully specific language that context will make it impossible to get words mixed up. Homophones are a literal non-issue.

Latin American Spanish. I'm pretty proficient in "Latin American" Spanish already, so I'm just mastering it by writing and watching Latino stuff.

Maybe I'll venture into the vosotros world later and learn all the weird words they have.

Not trying to be rude mate, but Spanish has devolved in several Latin American countries. Apart from Spain, the only Spanish accents/dialects I consider to be "refined" are those of Argentina and Chile. The same way much of American English is a bastardized form of British English. There is a history of both English and Spanish colonies breaking off from their colonial rulers, and speaking like their rulers was pretty frowned upon outside Loyalist groups. While I recognize that both American English and Latin American Spanish dialects are both part of their "original language," it's pretty arrogant to assume "WE RIGHT SPANISH NOW" simply because a larger population speaks a localized version of it. Even us Americans recognize that American English is not correct English, we joke about it all the time. It's wrong to rewrite history, the same way it's wrong to rewrite languages.

>dialects I consider to be "refined" are those of Argentina
EH QUE SHO SOS UN PIBE DEL ORTO

Come the fuck on. Argentina Spanish is almost as fucking bad as Cuban Spanish. Chile and Uruguay are much better, and Mexican Spanish as well. Argentinean pronunciation is as annoying as Spaniard.

you are retarded. the english british people speak today is not the original english

That's why I consider it to be more refined - it's more similar to the language spoken in its original country.

Oh, so apparently none of us speak English unless we're reciting the original Beowulf text, pic related. Right? Here, I'll correct myself for you - British English and American English in the late 1700s and 1800s split apart because of revolutionary movements in America which caused American citizens to not want to come off as Tories. Happy?

You are retarded. Turning every "y" and "ll" you find into "sh" is NOT refining the language.
There's a reason why Mexico and sometimes Chile is in charge of dubbing shit for all of Latin America. Our pronunciation is pretty much the most neutral you can find. Without awful Spaniard or Argentinian lisping, and without singing like Venezuela or Cuba.

Just like the brits say "Forevah" and Americans say "ForevERR"
American English is a refined, polished version of Brit English.

I think you're wrong about the English analogy. American English and British English only differ in various words like "airplane" vs "aeroplane" and in accent not in mechanics.
If your comparing Modern to Middle English with "thou" and stuff, well yeah it's changed but languages change all the time.

Although the accent change is interesting to think about. Actually most linguists agree britishers developed their accents, Americans didn't lose theirs. It became popular to drop r's and other things in the 1800s and the accent was born.

you are the one who said american english is "not correct" because only british english is correct for some reason, as if it has always been as it is and then stupid amerifats fucked it up

Don't think about vosotros as an strange conjutaion, it's pretty esay, just add an "i" to the conjugation for "tú", and if there's a diphtong line "ie" change it for an e.

tú estás - vosotros estáis
tú quieres - vosotros queréis
tú querías - vosotros queríais
tú comerías - vosotros comeríais
tú nadaste - vosotros nadasteis
and so on. (this doesn't apply for every tense, but you can manage pretty well just knowing this)

easy*
like*
diphthong*

when they dub something they don't use mexican slang nor they accent, so no, there doesn't exits anything as "standard Spanish", because no one speaks that way.

Yeah all my textbooks had vosotros in their conjugation tables (they just weren't used in the exercises) so I've been exposed to it a bunch already, so I should be able to pick it up moderately quick.

slang =/= pronunciation
Spaniards could speak without any slang at all and they will still keep their pronunciation.
And an Argentinian can't help but say "Hola, me shamo Pedro."

>Argentina Spanish is [...] bad
>Uruguay [is] much better

I have news for you m8...

American English is basically the result of German and Polish immigrants to America teaching their children English while only having a limited ability, a quick example is that Americans say 'bring' meaning to *bring* something *towards* the speaker, or *take* something *away* from the speaker (a distinction that is preserved in orthodox English, but is absent from those immigrant languages, i.e. German brauchen). This, mixed with the Irish/Scottish/other native English-speaking turncoats, is the reason why you sound like fucking tards.

what

Sorry, couldn't understand, I don't speak British English. Do you speak American English perchance?

The amount of stupidity and bullshit that this post contains shouldn't surprise me, but it does.
I can't believe you're this genuinely ignorant. Did someone from your local cartel blow half of your brains out?

What the fuck do you even know about Spanish, you pothead?
Present an actual argument or shut the fuck up with your ad hominens.

Nice flowcharts, OP. Is there a collection of these? I'm looking for Spanish specifically.

PFFFFFF JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

PENDEJO

Calling Mexican pronunciation "THE MOST NEUTRAL" is the most retarded thing I've ever seen here.

And btw, you whiny little bitch, just because you can't handle a slightly bigger variety of sounds doesn't mean that it's a lisp, you bloody moron.
A lisp is a lisp. A specific sound in a language doesn't turn the whole language into a giant lisp. You're ridiculous.

I've met people like you before and they're the only ones disliked by everybody else, due to both their painful ignorance and their obnoxious behaviours.

Jesus Christ, fuck off.

he's here just to have some laughs, leave him alone

>eh oshtia pero esh que me quedao sin trabajo
Sure Manolo, keep convincing yourself that this is the pure and 100% accurate Spanish pronunciation.

>present an argument
bro, you're basically telling us that other accents are shit except for yours because you don't like them

I'm a Spaniard and you're dumb. But sure. I'll bite and spell it out for you.

>No one but Spaniards like how they talk.
Your personal opinion is not a law for the world to follow.

>Nobody likes the way they speak
See above

>because they complicate pronunciations
The only "complicated" pronunciations I can't think of are strong R and maybe Ñ

>with pointless lisping.
A specific sound in a language is not a lisp. A lisp is speech impediment. Is the inability to produce certain specific sounds and instead producing misarticulations that are unclear. Being able to do both -we are talking about the sound we give to "s" and "z"- and using them accordingly is not a lisp. No matter how much you wish it to be a lisp (so you can justify your pronunciation) it is not.
You're just not used to it because you cut out a whole sound from your language. Which btw, contributes to your bad grammar and your mistakes when you write.

>It doesn't make their Spanish more "accurate" or "easy to understand"
Yes, it does.

>It doesn't matter at all if you pronounce z or s,
Yes, it does.

>because Spanish is an awfully specific language
And for you only the simplest things are the positive ones, isn't it?

>that context will make it impossible to get words mixed up.
Yet, you manage to. Although I admit that in this case education plays a bigger role.

>Homophones are a literal non-issue.
What is exactly your point with this?

I've never said that because there're different accents in Spain, you meathead. But how could you know that? You're nothing but an ignorant piece of shit that we all have to suffer. The same thing that happens with every fucking idiot on the planet.

You're a total moron. Your attempt of impersonating a Spaniard speaking is pathetic and I hope that nobody here takes your word seriously in regards to anything language-spanish-related ever.

>it's pronounced "güota" not "güarer"
No point arguing since you asshole are just going to keep saying "my Spanish is right because we invented it"
Like a stubborn Brit who is going to insist it's "colour" and not "color"

I want to learn Punjabi but it seems like there aren't many resources. Can anyone help a brother out?

>can't
Can.
A typo.

how is the Italian duolingo course?

Also, I speak an Iranic language natively. How hard would it be to learn an Indic language? Thanks in advance.

What on the fucking bloody hell are you even talking about now?
Don't answer. Just don't. I'm so done with you.

>mfw that loud beep in Michel Thomas when they want you to pause and say the answer

Bud, we all have our correct way of speaking Spanish.
I watched a movie in European Spanish the other day and it was nice because there was no Spaniard slang in it. It was standard, universal Spanish.

>que güay a que mola
>che pibe boludo
>chale pinche wey
These all sound like shit because they're slang. It's not about the pronunciation, it's about the vocabulary.

Oh apparently it goes away by the second unit. That would have kept me from trying it. Brutal.

The moekana cards I have only feature the hiragana and katakana, there is a pack to learn 1st grade kanji though

Here is a pic of mine

do japs make anything that isn't totally weeb?

I don't think so

got a good source for (preferably non-weeb) mandarin cards?

got the hilariously oversized chinesey cards.
could always use more.

Just started learning German, didn't know these threads existed.

I just started using Duolingo, thanks for the recommendation.

Is anyone else having trouble with it picking up your voice when it asks you to pronounce something? Maybe it wants something better than my microphone but it keeps recording for half a second then marking it wrong. Its not the pronunciation because it does it before I have a chance to speak, and its not my mic because it picks up something.

>Is anyone else having trouble with it picking up your voice
i remember hating those when i was attempting to earn Spanish a few years back.

chineseskill has the same thing but seems to work pretty well.

You're being stupid mate. Sorry. If you think Mexican Spanish is the most neutral, purified form of Spanish then you are obviously delusional. It's okay to admit that cultural differences have "tainted" the language over time, as they have with American English as well. I am not trying to insult you or your fellow Mexican Spanish speakers, I'm simply saying the idea that Mexican Spanish is somehow superior to Spanish Spanish is laughable at best.

I'm not being anti-American or anything like that. I'm probably one of the most pro-American poster in this thread. I'm simply saying that there are clear differences between the two and they stem from the American Revolution. It was very taboo to be supportive or even appear sympathetic to the British following the American Revolution - especially during the War of 1812.

You can see a similar example of "language-policing" occurring again in American History throughout WW2. Germans and German speakers were shunned and encouraged to stop speaking their language, and it became very suppressed. German at the time was the second most-spoken language in the US.

im sorry but i could only find these and they look soo fucking adorable

hen1 hao3, I'll check it out.

try on aliexpress also, they have the pads to rewrite the characters over and over again

So i can get sloppy kisses from Nordic people.

bump
бымп

How do i do /r̥/?

why are you trying to /r̥/ exactly? what language are you trying to learn that has that sound?

I'm trying Welsh.

Bless that Russian showing the basics of the case system. That sounds awesome. German cases weren't an issue for me (around B2 level right now), and I'm getting some Latin vibes from it (my VERY rudimentary Latin knowledge can be exaggerating though).

Will look into it some more.

here's a pronounciation which seems pretty clear and slow:

forvo.com/word/cy/rhyd_ddu/

What do based Russians think of mexican-americans? c-can I go over to Russia for the World Cup?

/lang/ posters made these but as you can see we only have a few because we aren't good at making shit happen sadly.

Bump. Thanks for going more into detail about Russian cases.

bilinguis.com/ is a personal favorite

we do seem to have picked up speed a little lately though

Trying to learn Spanish but it's been pretty confusing. Tú, usted and vos all mean the same thing but I need to learn which one to use depending on if im speaking to a latam or a native spaniard? what the fuck

I'm learning also. Usted is formal, so your boss or an elder. Tú is familiar, so a friend or your kid. Vos I don't know yet

Thanks. It just gets pretty confusing at times especially when it comes to the differing latam and native spanish pronunciations and words.