What made this album so revolutionary at the time? 808s influenced modern hip-hop more than MBDTF

What made this album so revolutionary at the time? 808s influenced modern hip-hop more than MBDTF.

the incorporation of instrumentals that introduced them to the rap genre. I heavily doubt TPAB would have been made without this album.

An important distinction to make is that this album is iconic for revolutionizing POPULAR hip-hop. Of course the musical ideas on it were present on hip-hop albums before it, but MBDTF was so popular with so many features and producers that it made huge waves in mainstream music.

BLACKED

Is this Kanye's worst album cover? You know, besides TLOP

Is this a joke? You know hip hop has been made with the idea of real instruments before, right? Even then, unlike a band that uses almost all real instruments like say...The Roots, most of the stuff on MBDTF is still synthesized.

The one with the ballet dancer is like a thousand times better than that one.

Instrumentals not instruments you goober

my point is, MBDTF had way more commercial success than lets say... The Roots...
It's the epitome of mainstream rap and ever since it was released most critics loved it which makes shitty rappers think "hmm ok i'll try this too" voila, what I'm trying to say is that no other mainstream rappers dared to try new things which Kanye did and it resulted in critical acclaim.

The album has one instrumental on it. Pretty sure he meant instruments.
1. popularity doesn't equate to being influential. Nobody knows who Lex Luger is despite being responsible for the modern trap sound.

2. Real instruments have been a staple of the genre since the very beginning in the late 70s/early 80s days. In fact, compared to the days of Eric B or Q Tip or Roots' days, real instruments have only been used a lot less.

Hell you gave TPAB as an example, right? Interviews about the album say that D'Angelo's Black Messiah was the influence on the instrumentals.

Kanye's nowhere near as influential as people think. He wasn't the first person to modify soul vocals. Not the first to do maximal jazz production. Not the first to do synth in hip hop. Not the first to do sadboy RnB vocals (he copped the sound from Cudi, and autotune rap was at its most popular, too.) The best beats on MBDTF were made by others. Not the first to do industrial, primitive sounding hip hop. And definitely not the first to do anything on TLOP.

It's very disingenuous and disrespectful to others in the mainstream to imply that Kanye's doing something so crazy or different.

Q tip had one base player guest on a song. It's a lot different than the French horns and string sections On MBDTF.

Ohhhh you're talking music with larger instrumentation orchestrated and shit. Yeah Q Tip isn't like that at all. Dr. Dre? The Roots? Been doing that for much longer.

It's his magnum opus. It incorporated elements from all his previous album and blends them into a cohesive artistic statement, practically inventing progressive hip-hop at the same time (of course the likes of cLOUDDEAD did this first but they were more like the Faust to Kanye's Pink Floyd). I can't think of any other hip-hop artist prior to this to bring so many musicians together from different backgrounds and styles and direct them all on his album in the same style as a jazz leader, and Kanye's pervasive self-deprecation and ironic depiction of celebrity life.

Despite how important and innovative it was as a hip-hop album, I still don't think it's a very engaging or satisfying listen. More something to appreciate than to actually enjoy.

I didn't type this very well because I'm xanned right now but I'm sure you all get my idea.

you are a stain on society, kill yourself

lole

He's right you know

Ok :)

instrumentals predate rapped-over hip hop beats. you realize this, right? it's literally the oldest kind of hip hop.

god, the earlets on this fucking board.

this isn't true. as someone who was there before and after, MBDTF was just a kind of platonic ideal of popular hip hop. it was a perfection of all of Kanye's sensibilities, but it hardly directly inspired sounds that came after it. it was more the spectacle and awe of the whole thing that might be said to have started a Renaissance for making big budget hip hop albums that made statements and things

I guess this is more correct. It isn't necessarily the sound of the album that inspired other artists, it was the concerted effort to create a huge, lavish production.