Literately a crazy sounding guy yelling into a microphone with random guitar notes and a monkey banging on drums

>literately a crazy sounding guy yelling into a microphone with random guitar notes and a monkey banging on drums
why is this so highly regarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
youtube.com/watch?v=58nPEe-TU-w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because he composed it to sound like that.
The Avant Garde music appeals to people a lot. Why that is I'll never know.

I tried listening to it 20 times and I still don't get it.

I normally am good about separating the art from the artist but Beefheart is such a shit person that this album repulses me.

how is he a shit person? Just wondering. I don't know much about him

>why is this so highly regarded?
for the sole purpose of triggering your autism, user

>a monkey banging on drums
you can say what you want about this album but the drumming is amazing

Not him, but AFAIK he was a tyrannical band leader and purposely forced his band mates to treat him like a cult leader. They recorded TMR in a house where Beefheart subjected them to abuse and even starvation. He also didn't allow anyone to take credit for their work and instead claimed he was the genius behind all their work. While it's certainly true that Cap's contribution to TMR and other projects is far from insignificant, truth is a big, BIG chunk of the credit belongs to John "Drumbo" French, who practically arranged the music of TMR to the (very ambiguous) specifications of Beefheart.

He was a shitty, abusive (at least to his band members, don't think that was the case for family and friends), egotistical genius.

ty for clearing up I thought you were captain beefheart for a second.

You have to remember the context. Back in those days recording equipment was VERY expensive and distribution was difficult so very few albums were recorded where people were just dicking around. So when a guy who had a successful music career took his expensive equipment to a friend's house and recorded him dicking around and distributed it people didn't really know what to make of it. There's no way it could be simply awful. No one would go through all that trouble for something awful, right? So it gained some mystique and some jerkoffs pretended to "get it" and so it became a "classic."

Today it doesn't sound like anything important because anyone with a laptop mic can record a shit album and throw it up on soundcloud and we've all heard that kind of shit over and over so it's not longer all that special or interesting.

>random guitar notes
Explain how they could replicate the songs live exactly how they were on the album, then?

>monkey banging on drums
He's a fantastic drummer

40's blues + contemporary jazz trends + groundbreaking angular guitar work + obsessive legends

masterpiece

if you don't like it don't bother there's plenty of hip hop and indietm music out there for you to enjoy

Not the dude you were talking to, you dip.

How many of these threads do we fuckin need just give in to the beef you cucks

it's actually very meticulously written and rehearsed.

Art is contrarian by nature.
This albun is contrarian, thats why it recieved so much attention. You dont have to like it but it was debasing and inspriring.

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

why is this so highly *retarded

Because it was played exactly as recorded. It was meant to be the chaos.

this. OP outed as a complete and utter pleb

Sounds like Stalin if he was around in the 1960s as a musician

tfw discussion of the album is more entertaining than the album itself

>smells blood in the water

Its not even the best Captain Beefheart album and Frank Zappa did quirky experimental shit so much better.

>You have to remember the context.

Is this the new meme?

TMR is the ultimate entry level pleb filter. Compared to other "rock" albums, it may be obtuse and off-putting, but compared to real avant garde and jazz it's actually very accessible and catchy. The vast majority of kids here who can't into TMR and shitpost about it have never gone beyond their pop/rock/hiphop comfort zones and think Animal Collective and Radiohead are experimental music.

FAST

It's got great grooves and I appreciate the spirit of it all, like a salt-of-the-earth dada. Parts become catchy after a few listens and you end up anticipating tiny quirks.

I have a strong feeling of deja-vu reading this reply, is it a pasta by any means?

AND

Pretty much. I still like it though. You gotta separate the artist from the music. I still listen to the Smashing Pumpkins despite billy's proto-kanye narcissism and ego.

No, it's not a pasta.
Just my 2 cents.

Honestly, it's just fun to listen to, and filled with little details

To me, Drumbo's arranging of the album which causes the rhythms of everything to complete each other make the album work. The polytonality isn't very important here as it's coincidental (not to mention it's around similarly grouped keys so no weird nor interesting relationships like say...Rite Of Spring.) The melodic parts are ultimately simple one to two measure long bits (which they kinda need to be for what the album's trying to go for). Beefheart's vocals are like a less raw/emotional but more technical take on Howlin Wolf's. But it's the rhythmic interplay between the different parts that makes it all work. Use Beefheart's voice as like the anchor for what is ultimately a very crazy set of rhythms that may sound like they don't work together, but upon closer listen really end up completing each other.

Think of it as like a crazy math rock album, but that math rock album's crazy playing is split apart a little bit into more but less tame parts that are made to be more bluesy that come together to create something just as crazy.

He was also a paranoid schizophrenic though

>random guitar notes

educate yourself before speaking

youtube.com/watch?v=58nPEe-TU-w

FURIOUS

>educate yourself
>posts vox

Just a reminder that this has been the ultimate pleb filter for almost half a century now.

Fantanto hated it. That's where you stand, faggots.

just because you don't like the style doesn't mean they were "just dicking around"

one of the only reasonable opionions in the thread
I think you can make arguments for Mirror Man, Safe as Milk, and Lick My Decals Off all being superior albums to TMR.

They played their usually music but did WACKY TOBACCY things to it. It is 100% the standard thing people do when they've been recording music for a while, grow board, and want to dick around for a bit.

Personally the only really annoying thing to me is that the two guitars sound like they were played through a microwave, but I attribute it to them recording the album in 4 hours flat

In this sense I must have some clarvoyant powers cos man I sure as hell have seen that before.

I agree with you though.

the drums are literally the only good thing about this album