ITT:

Musicians who fucked up their vocal chords

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sNNKLZShLRw
youtube.com/watch?v=8PJj_GxjeLI
youtube.com/watch?v=107dADrIVBk
youtube.com/watch?v=Bpkfcklv8Ag
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_D.O.C.#Accident_and_aftermath_(1989–2006)
youtube.com/watch?v=Hwo2sWHWaA4
youtube.com/watch?v=4i6jtsCpImo
youtube.com/watch?v=fWjOdo6Q7Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=OJnUIEvLYMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He stopped doing harsh vocals after the first album

>January 1994
youtube.com/watch?v=sNNKLZShLRw

>January 1996
youtube.com/watch?v=8PJj_GxjeLI

His voice has had a lot of ups and downs over his career, but on a steady path of general degradation. He couldn't even sing the falsetto part of that song after July 1994 and after that '96 show, his voice was so fucked that he began singing in this horrible nasal whine from that point onward. He then developed vocal nodules that he refused to treat, which further limited his range and made his voice incredibly raspy.

Probably one of the most notable contenders

Same song 2 years apart:
youtube.com/watch?v=107dADrIVBk
youtube.com/watch?v=Bpkfcklv8Ag

What the fuck happened?

lots of booze, lots of cigarettes, lots of performances

When John Lennon was facing deportation from the U.S, he kind of spun out, started cheating on yoko ono/refusing to talk to her, started partying waaaay harder, and started hanging around Harry Nilsson. At one point that got into a literal screaming match, straining their voices to see who could literally scream the loudest and stuff. They both have said on more than one occasion that their voices were never the same from this.

I can't imagine doing the scream from Careful With That Axe Eugene all the time was especially healthy for his voice, which is a shame, his mid 70's/early 80's voice was super unique.

Phil Anselmo of Pantera. He used to have an incredible voice... but you know... Pantera happened.

>sings entire discography in high octaves
>get throat surgery and can only sing with a deep voice

Robert Plant

Paul Stanley

Brian Johnson

really he only just changed his singing style and developed a habit of hating his older work so much that he whenever he would do it he would just stick in his New Singing voice.There's a little bit of a gap on everything between Small Change and Rain Dogs where he'll stick mostly to growley raspy voice, but sometimes just be smooth because it would sound nice. It was more a change of music than a change of voice if anything

I'd argue his voice sounds better now.

Got anyone who isn't a buttrocker?

After Fragile his vocals went to shit

What no

Zeppelin isn’t buttrock.

lal they invented all the stadium/cockrock garbage of the 70s-80s

jesus christ
THIS difference in only 2 years

This man couldn't even sing in the last concerts from last year's tour

Chino Moreno fucking shredded his vocal chords, the fact that he can still sing is amazing to me. Watching him live these days is kinda sad cuz you can see how strained he is singing stuff that isn't even screaming. Poor bastard.

t. low t

This is why everybody hates Liam. Not only did he ruin his voice, but he ruined Oasis' mainstream success in America in 1996 (and their attempt at a second comeback in 2000)

He's pointing at us...

I wouldn't really say his singing got worse, he just stopped screaming and yelling

wow wish they had made a skramz album

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_D.O.C.#Accident_and_aftermath_(1989–2006)

>In November 1989, five months after the release of No One Can Do It Better, Curry was involved in a near-fatal car accident. Driving home from a party, he fell asleep at the wheel and his car veered off the freeway. Curry, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown out the rear window, slamming face first into a tree. His injuries required 21 hours of plastic surgery, and he spent 2½ weeks in the hospital. He couldn't speak for about a month, and he was left with a different, raspier voice.[3]

youtube.com/watch?v=Hwo2sWHWaA4

first you said buttrock then cockrock? which is it
zeppling were cockrock not buttrock dumbass

Corey Taylor

when?

That was an intentional stylistic change though.

Anyone can sound strained on tour, that doesn't mean they ruined their voice. Liam did ruin his voice but it took more than 2 years.

me after covering tame

this is sad

How does one not destroy his own vocal chords?

chino's always been inconsistent to be fair, he struggles these days but pretty often still nails it

youtube.com/watch?v=4i6jtsCpImo

How the fuck did Frank do it? Keep in mind this was the LAST song they performed that night.

He didnt damage his vocal chords. He switched to a style of non modal singing that dosnt hurt as much. Playing it safe.

James talks about how he had to completely relearn how to sing after he blew out his voice in the St. Anger documentary. Even if you don't like that era of the band, it's a good watch.

He may haven't been the best singer, but the fact that he can still sing and play considering how much shit has happened to him amazes me

Too much legendary drinking.

I mean it has stayed more consistent than most but the screams definitely took a toll on him. Reminder that the first link was taken from a fucking live take on top of a roof and even still both his rasp and chest voice have more heft than a studio recording of him giving it his all.

youtube.com/watch?v=fWjOdo6Q7Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=OJnUIEvLYMc

Maybe that second link isn't a great example since it's still an incredible performance but his voice is noticeably thinner just 6 years later.

>youtube.com/watch?v=OJnUIEvLYMc
Great song, I'd like to hear it with a real blues singer.

I wouldn't say he fucked his vocal chords. He could never really hit the studio notes live.

He does have some pretty nice screams in The Slip/NTAE and Add Violence

A real blues singer wouldn't have McCartney's range or vocal control. It has always made me laugh that Lennon would claim that he should've been the one to sing Oh Darling when that song was like a whole fucking octave outside of his range. McCartney was a fucking beast of a singer during his prime and people don't seem to comment on it as much as they should. Had a larger chest voice range than Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson and way more versatility. I can't think of a single other vocalist who could go from singing Blackbird and I Will to Why Don't We Do it in the Road and Helter Skelter on the same goddamn album.

He also refuses to stop singing in that uncomfortable as fuck position and puts a lot of tension on his jaw.

>Oh Darling
This one too.

>when you set the bar so low in the early days, you can only get better from it.

does he dye his hair? or is it naturally that dark?

Pretty much every female pop star sings in a way that will fuck up their vocal cords in the long-term.

2nd is so much better

>implying their careers will last that long

His singing voice gets better with every album, though.

That glorious neck is constricting his cords.

Eh, worth it.

He fucked his voice thanks to that retard Bob Rock making him sing TBA in an unnatural key.

Unless Madonna since she's always had a very limited voice. Someone like Mariah Carey...ppffffffffttttt....

They tour endlessly because they're slaves to a record label and often don't even get operations for nodules. Britney Spears doesnt sing remotely demanding songs but her voice still got fucked up by 2004. Madonna is just smart (so is Celine Dion)

fuck oasis
he was shit to begin with

Pretty ironic what happened to Joanna Newsom. She fucked up her voice due to poor technique but then that prompted her to actually learn proper technique and as a result she sings better now

After heroin