Are you really *listening* to music if you're simultaneously doing ANYTHING else?

Are you really *listening* to music if you're simultaneously doing ANYTHING else?
I mean, if you're on Sup Forums or you're texting or browsing the world wide intertubes, you're only kinda paying attention to the music. You can't say then that "oh, I listened to that album."
Unless you sat with headphones on and did nothing but stare at a wall or close your eyes, you didn't listen to it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c5FZH2Yen-8
docs.google.com/document/d/1A3NBAjAt6mF95SNczCIatf6fS9QGNO64hGlQibhMnRk/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Except I'm listening to ambient when I just need some noise while doing whatever. Which is the whole point of the genre. So it's depends on what you're listening to.

wrong. you're supposed to pay focused attention to ambient, too. Observe these concert goers at an ambient concert:
youtube.com/watch?v=c5FZH2Yen-8

I think you're supposed to enjoy things however you personally find them enjoyable.

One of my favorite moments was when my and my ex were fighting, and I went home and got pretty drunk and just sat in the dark. I eventually turned on have a nice life and just sat, and listened to every word in the dark. It turned a boring album into something pretty amazing.

t. attentionlet
the best music is stuff that can be enjoyed whether or not you are paying full attention. Subtleties revealing themselves later is nice too

also the brain picks up on a lot more than you think.

But the person who only listens to music while multi-tasking is the attentionlet. They can't give themselves ENTIRELY to the auditory experience. They have to engage their other senses at the same time or they get bored.

>not listening to music in the same way that you watch a movie

Ambient music is much better when you're focusing on it imo. It induces a trancelike or hypnotic state and generally just feels like being in a different world. Rather than just like being in an elevator.

This.

i'm with you OP but i'm never didactic about it. nice to know people still give music their undivided attention

I listened to it, user, and I played videogames at the same time. Get over it you pretentious fucktard.

I can agree with that, but if you have the mental capacity to sit through an album with full attention, you probably pick up more while driving or cleaning or laboring than people who can't
browsing Sup Forums is pushing it a bit though

Even if I'm not giving 100% of my attention, I am listening to it. I'm listening to music mostly all the time when I'm by myself. Except when I'm driving.

i agree with this, but i think it's also acceptable to listen to music while going out and walking or something like that. any activities that don't distract your brain away from the music.

I listen to albums both when I'm doing work and on my own. When I'm doing work, I go back after I finish and listen again to fully get it. But I do that when I don't do anything but listen as well. I feel it's better when I pick up on a good sound or album when doing something else. Increases the first experience i have and Makes it more noticible afterwards.

Usually if I'm listening to an album I'm already familiar with I'll just go on /w/ /wg/ /c/ or something and just browse through the images. Sometimes I might play a game that doesn't require my full attention, usually rogue lites like downwell or binding of Isaac since fucking up isn't a big deal.

My new thing as of late is listening to a prog/psych/kraut rock album for the first time to skyrim. I've already played it a billion times over so it's just mindless and I can really focus on the album.
I can't believe I'm so fucking lame. I guess it's a secret guilty pleasure activity.

I'd argue that when you are listening to something for the first time you should do it without doing anything else, but at the same time i love to listen to music when im doing stuff, like playing vidya , shitposting, studying.
Depends on the stuff im doing aswell, if im playing a chill game like i can focus very well and appreciate music than a not so chill one.
I just listened to music when i had time to do just listen to it, i would only hear about 5% of the songs i heard in my life. The is simply no time to do it.
Also there are a lot of musicians that do in fact listen to music while doing other stuff.

Try fapping while listening to an album
If there's a song that takes your attention away from fappening, you know it's god tier

Your welcome

I asked my friend who has a bias against male artists what she thought of an album by a boy group and she said the songs weren't good and not catchy. She said she was listening to the music while doing homework and other activities. I argued that she didn't really pay attention to the music, then. To this she said well if the songs were good, they would have stood out. She said if it didn't catch my attention, that means the music wasn't good enough.
I just said "okay" and left it at that, but what a brainlet.

whats some good vidya to listen to music while playing, user?

Is multitasking not a thing? Are you not driving because your foot is on the gas and you're talking to the passenger?

>who has a bias against male artists

That depends on what you like, I've been into darkest dungeon lately, the Sup Forums darkest dungeon general is pretty comfy and playing with some music is nice aswell.

>who has a bias against male artists
Jesus Crist, did you ever called her on that shit?
That is even worse that saying "I dont like anything from X genre"

it's impossible for me to not do *anything* else but i won't be doing anything demanding obviously. what i do is:
>look at the artwork if there is any
>read the lyrics
>read wikipedia for the album/band
>check RYM / scaruffi / Sputnik etc

How do you do this

Isn't this like having someone in your room singing to you while you masturbate?

i mean it's fine for sex depending on the music ofc
jackin it is is kinda weird tho huh

I listen to prog when playing slower games. For pvp, faster stuff, I play older psy trance. It depends.

>not masturbating in the shower for like an hour and a half on adderall while listening to slow chill study beats from youtube
don't let memes stop you from doing fun things, guys.

>Have musically "woke" friends
>Try to to show them some kino
>They start talking or open up their phone to scroll through facebook during the best part
>"Yeah, I guess that was okay, user. Now let me show you a REAL song"

>tfw cannot cum to anything but 20+ second jazz loops backed with the jdilla drum pack anymore

I play mindless games like mahjong

Who even has time to fucking do this? I maybe have time to do this one album every few days max because I have other things going on in my life like actually MAKING music for example.

>2018
>not developing kinks specific to music genres

This. That cant be the ONLY way these people listen to music can it? I find it hard to go without it unless theres something else playing or making noise. I cant listen to music while talking but i can while playing a game alone.

Sometimes I'll take down a quick note about what I think about what's playing, when it occurs me. I like to level-grind old JRPGs on mute while I listen through Sup Forums flowcharts.

It's much nicer than having to hear the first few seconds of the battle-victory-overworld songs again and again. DOOM is ideal for heavier and faster music like metal, but otherwise I'll let it be background music while I go about my day.

>the best music is stuff that can be enjoyed whether or not you are paying full attention.
This is correct, however the point is moot because most of you have never paid full attention to a piece of music (god forbid an entire album / collection) in your lives.

Only true patricians listen to a full album

Was gonna save this for a later thread, but here. It's not entirely finished yet; I need to add a few more games and songs, and get a better design, more video game pictures and art to fully make it good.

docs.google.com/document/d/1A3NBAjAt6mF95SNczCIatf6fS9QGNO64hGlQibhMnRk/edit?usp=drivesdk

>sharing music with friends becomes a "okay let me show you something now" back and forth 20 seconds into the first song
>link a song in Discord and before anyone could've finished it there are a dozen new links in the chat

Euro Truck Sim 2
Killing Floor
Risk of Rain
Trackmania

you sound pretentious

I've listened to albums while doing something totally boring like laying down eyes closed or something completely mindless like going on walks, and even then sometimes my mind completely drifts off and I forget everything I just heard.

>docs.google.com/document/d/1A3NBAjAt6mF95SNczCIatf6fS9QGNO64hGlQibhMnRk/edit?usp=drivesdk
i saw the pic and thought "lol what a funny autistic thing, no wonder this guy saved the pic" but then i read your post and realized this is real.
is this some sort of honeypot h4cker thing to take people's google names? what is the catch here?
i don't want to make fun of you because of the work you put into this but like what the hell man

Yeah, as long as the music is on an acceptable volume and you're not doing something that requires higher thought like writing or playing siege.
Though if you do listen to music while doing something else you should definitely re listen multiple times. Not saying that you shouldn't normally.

some music sounds like cock when youre doing nothing but listening to it but is great in the background. and some other stuff sounds like cock when you arent paying full attention to it. best is having completely different sets of albums to listen to for focusing on vs playing in the background. and its not necessarily ambient stuff thats good for background listening, in any genre theres albums that are more suited to one or the other.

Hate to say it user but if you physically can't pay attention to music while doing other stuff at the same time you might have neurological issues or smth