Why is this album held in such high regard?

Why is this album held in such high regard?

Good marketing.

to people who've never heard, ferrari, partch, stockhausen etc

Radiohead were in the right place at the right time and were able to present the melting pot of genres that Kid A is as accessible and novel. Coming hot off the heels of OKC being one of the biggest things to come out of the late 90s, people were wanting to see what Radiohead had next so they used their time in the spotlight to drop Kid A. Also,
Dem blips.

amnesiac is better

It is

Like I said, If a circle descended from the eyes of a scepter, the gargoyles would open the armored hells that encapsulate you.

Because it's good.... what more do you want?

Same for OK Computer too.
Radiohead is overrated as fuck, it's like listening to a creature moaning vaguely "2deep4u" lyrics to some decently produced arrangements.

baby's first "experimental" music

Kid A is the most overrated contemporary album alongside MBDTF

it's sad that kids just can't even begin to imagine different contexts any more.

kid a came out at the perfect time, it encapsulates a lot of the anxiety the slightly weird kids of the 2000s felt. it also came out when people still had to buy albums. a lot of young people treasured this album. you don't get that any more, that's part of the reason the 2010s feel much less significant than any previous decade

for one of the biggest, most critically acclaimed rock groups to drop something like this was pretty ballsy

pleb fucking detECTED

MODS

The people who say "this album is overrated/not experimental" are children who are trying to be contrarian.

Obviously it's not an "innovative" album, in that it is an assemblage of influences - but if you're telling me that it's not inaccessible, that they didn't legitimately make an artistic record out of of many discordant and inaccessible ideas, then you're a contrarian idiot.

And no, Kid A is better than Amnesiac.

seems like you don't understand the context of either record. pleb.

I had never even seen a shooting star before. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

Cuz its a great fuckin album

>Obviously it's not an "innovative" album, in that it is an assemblage of influences
There is no album that isn't.

Why are Radiohead always so conflictive when it comes to people that don't suck Radiohead's tiny artsy dick?
What Radiohead did was not risky. It's still an accessible pop album that got lots and lots of hours on MTV.

Not him, but I remember the Kid A release, MTV was all over it 24/7.

It's a very creative release within the confines of popular electronic music. Each track does it's own thing different from the others, but at the same time each track also has a similar aesthetic to the other tracks so the whole package is still cohesive. Not only that, but from a composition perspective Radiohead, like their other critically lauded albums, has unconventional usage of harmony with very interesting choices of chord progressions. Each track also has some engaging bit or another like the fading effected vocals on the first track, the jazz bits of National Anthem, Idiotheque's dance music in odd time signatures that works, etc. It's not my favorite album ever or anything, but I can totally see why people absolutely adore the album.

>It's still an accessible pop album that got lots and lots of hours on MTV.
There were no music videos released for Kid A though

It wasn't music videos, the marketing campaign featured that bear symbol thing they used in Kid A.

Sonically it's really interesting. It's not about them innovating and destroying rock or anything. They took things outside of popular music that other electronic/ambient artists were doing, and took those concepts further, mixing them with elements of pop/rock which made this a unique album at the time. Also their chord progressions and the way they use them is really interesting, since 90% of popular music is in the same 4 chords.

>Radiohead were in the right place at the right time
everything in its right place

Cuz it's good :)

>Replies to six posts
Boy, this guy must really know what he's talking about

I'm just busting your marbles man idc

the hipsters loved OK Computer

the pretentious hipsters loved Kid A

It's a pretty decent take on contemporary electronic trends by a successful teenage angst rock band. Like many mentioned, it came out at the right time.

This.