Subtractive synthesis > FM synthesis > Physical modelling synthesis > Additive synthesis

Subtractive synthesis > FM synthesis > Physical modelling synthesis > Additive synthesis

granular > wavetable > subtrative > fm > additive = vector

oh shit, yea, wavetable is also pretty high up

never read up on granular synthesis

The type of synthesis that makes the sound you want > the others

X > Y

it's only stupid if Y >= X

Analog subtractive > FM > everything else digital that's not subtractive > digital subtractive

pcm

you mean like a d-50? eh, i don't think it's better than FM

>comparing anything on behalf of the absolute abstract position

why do you have to try to rank everything like you're a fucking child?

technically almost everything digital is ultimately PCM

Does additive synthesis ever have a fucking use?

Subtractive = Analog-y sounds
FM = Super digital, cold but can be spacey
Wavetable = Similar to above but more realistic, can make near any sound you want
Physical Modelling = Sounds great when experimental, dull when not
Granular = Just use effects lmao

But Additive? Seems kinda rare and useless. Can think of Razor (plug-in) and the Synclaviar (which sounds pretty good I have to admit) and that's it.

Also Wavetable > Subtractive > FM > Physical Modelling > Everything else

>But Additive? Seems kinda rare and useless.
Being uninformed about something doesn't mean it's useless or nonexistent.

Have you heard the JD-XI? It uses PCM and sounds brilliant.

oh hi there

I really wanna get the microbrute. Basically all the features of the mini plus a little bit of modular! It's 100% analog right?

Additive is the de facto standard for "pure" synthesis that's supposed to emulate existing instruments and timbres

its a 100% analog signal path and can sync with midi stuff, and you can even feed audio into it and shit its awesome. i love the arpeggiation feature especially. very happy with it

because it's fun :-)

Is there a cool YouTube video or something like it that teaches you about the different types of synthesis

this physical modeling basically means some kind of additive

man I really want it but I decided that the JD-XI is a better starting point. It's obviously a lot more expensive, but I'd say it's worth it, because of it's 4 track sequencer and stuff.

additive usually just means adding more oscillators at particular harmonics and with particular modulation, physical modelling can be a lot more advanced and use much more abstract algorithms to model acoustic phenomena

No but it's not hard to learn user. I'd reccommend looking at analog synthesis first.

Had one but the filters randomly stopped working. Looking on the forums it seems to be a very common problem so I returned it in exchange for a brand new one and then sold it on eBay.

true but if there's no filtering or oscillators modulating each other, it's additive by default

o fuk. have had mine 3 years but i dont use it every day

If it's lasted that long you're probably fine, mine went after about a year. Fucking shame as well, I really liked it.

actually the "universality" of additive synthesis was kind of a bad assumption from the start; technically it's sort of possible, but you can't efficiently synthesize transients and noisy components with sine waves. it's totally misguided.

that's true, and also why with the spread of digital techniques and availability of more operational power FM and (esp.) physical modelling took its place i guess

>Physical Modelling = Sounds great when experimental, dull when not
not really, not anymore
Pianoteq is the best sounding PM piano synthesizer ever, it beats nearly all piano sample libraries
MODO Bass does this too, with its unsurpassed electric bass modelling, it makes huge bass sample packs look outdated

Mainly additive isn't popular because there are a lot of parameters, and historically it was much more computationally intensive than other kinds of synthesis. FM was successful because it can be implemented in a computationally very efficient way.

underrated post

FM is the patrician choice

> Subtractive = Analog-y sounds
not necessarily. digital synths can offer way more waveforms beyond that standart saw and square, sound-wise it could sometimes blur the line between this and wavetables or fm

FM > All

>But Additive? Seems kinda rare and useless.
idk hammond organs seem pretty useful