youtube.com/watch?v=sDHhzATxIIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3ppiohVRZ0s
youtube.com/watch?v=y14Kp1DitpE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Curve was unironically an industry plant to cash in on the shoegaze scene

>user likes posting on Sup Forums
>user doesn't know about global rule #10
Seriously, this is getting old.

Curve was not very good. Outside the big 3, the best were Lush, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, and Catherine Wheel.

Swervedriver were extremely good.

youtube.com/watch?v=LTQFwfelcFE
youtube.com/watch?v=MHva52tOoeo
youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5iz8p8E5Q
youtube.com/watch?v=sDHhzATxIIQ

Catherine Wheel and Swervedriver yes. I'd swap Chapterhouse and Lush with Pale Saints and Swirlies

Doppelganger is a really good album, but I find them rather hard to respect as a band because of how eagerly they tried to bandwagon onto trends. They tried to get on the Chemical Brothers big beat wave and made one of the worst songs I've ever heard in Chinese Burn. Their comeback album had some pretty good songs in the style of their early sound but I think it took them too long to develop any commitment to making something in the Doppelganger vein again.

Chinese Burn is fucking amazing

[citation needed]

WTF are you talking about? Chinese Burn is not Big Beat like The Chemical Brothers. They always had that heavy beat, from their very first song in 1991.

bump

It's bullshit. Toni and Dean were introduced to each other by Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics fame) in 1983. They formed a band in 85, split after the album flopped in 86, then reconnected in 89 to form Curve and signed to Stewart's label Anxious in 1990.

Because they had a past history as failed wannabe pop stars, and because they were signed to their old pal's label, and because they were really fucking good right out of the gate, people assumed they were some kind of Dave Stewart-orchestrated cash-in on contemporary musical trends like MBV, etc. It's all bullshit, just two very talented musicians who sorted out their differences and matured into their artistic vision.

Funnily enough Garbage (another really good 90s band) would later blatantly bite Curve's style and ride it to much greater commercial success.

>Funnily enough Garbage (another really good 90s band) would later blatantly bite Curve's style and ride it to much greater commercial success.
This is absolutely false. Garbage were inspired by Curve but they weren't copycats. One listen to their albums is enough to notice that.
>Because they had a past history as failed wannabe pop stars, and because they were signed to their old pal's label, and because they were really fucking good right out of the gate, people assumed they were some kind of Dave Stewart-orchestrated cash-in on contemporary musical trends like MBV, etc.
Let's be real, just how many people even knew they were failed wannabe popstars? Before Curve they were so obscure nobody cared. Accusing Curve of being an industry plant is senseless and stupid. All their music has been done by Toni and Dean with help from a few people such as the producer Alan Moulder. They also had a live band but they didn't contribute to songwriting.

They were OK.

Kind of getting the impression OP just now found out about them because he's been spamming them all over this board lately.

I know them for years. BTW 2-3 threads =/= spamming.

>Garbage were inspired by Curve but they weren't copycats
Garbage would not exist without Curve, they ultimately found their own sound but they started out as a gentrified radio-friendly version of Curve.

>Let's be real, just how many people even knew they were failed wannabe popstars?
Every music fan paying attention to their career at the time did, it was mentioned by all the reviewers and interviewers in their coverage around '91.

I'm a huge fan of Curve and this is beginning to get tiresome. Do you really want Curve to become a meme here?

>Garbage would not exist without Curve, they ultimately found their own sound but they started out as a gentrified radio-friendly version of Curve.
They would exist very well without Curve. Pick a random song from their debut album, let's say Queer: youtube.com/watch?v=3ppiohVRZ0s
Or Milk: youtube.com/watch?v=y14Kp1DitpE
Show me other Curve songs like these ones.
>Every music fan paying attention to their career at the time did, it was mentioned by all the reviewers and interviewers in their coverage around '91.
Those fans were irrelevant compared to the normal listeners. Normal listeners don't care about this crap: they like or not the music.

Already tiresome after a few threads? You have low stamina.
>Do you really want Curve to become a meme here?
Why not? At least more people hear about them. Win-win. I'm not a hipster to keep them for myself.

Fuck you.

The only way I can wrap my head around why someone would spam something this hard and this shamelessly is if they were isolated in real life that they have no one to talk about music with.
In any case, I have a new addition to my filter. Thanks OP.

*watches the Shallow Rewards shoegaze episode once*

dude you're just wrong, everyone who was familiar with curve was familiar with their story and the bs accusations, it was a part of their mainstream press coverage. you can read this super obscure not for normie article in obscure zine melody maker and see for yourself how full of shit you are but since your head is so far up your ass you can't see how garbage lifted their visual and sonic aesthetic wholesale from curve i guess it's not worth trying to talk music with you

sucks when good bands have shitty fans but it is what it is.

There are three episodes you philistine.

Filter them. Like I even give a fuck that you're so triggered that there were 2-3 Curve threads in the past 4 days.

Dno why people are disagreeing with you, Curve was known for chasing every prevailing wind that would even hint at a short term commercial success boost and that goes even prior to Curve forming, that was Toni Hallidays entire solo career was her chasing trends.

Curve never took off because critics remembered Hallidays solo venture failures and never gave them a chance really. But they had something really special with Doppelganger, and in retrospect anyone whos a fan wishes they kept going with that sound because it never came back around until Gift which was like a bit of an apology cos Kevin Shields was guest guitarist on that album it was sort of a like an acknowledgement that the best part of Curve was when they rode that Shoegaze wave.

Chinese Burn was a real lowpoint, it's not like irredeemable shit but such a departure it was like if you were a fan back then that must have really sucked to see it go down that way.

And you're a shitty fan. Read all articles from curve-online.co.uk and stop cherrypicking some sensationalist bullshit to prove your claims. Like I said before, most music listeners - actual buyers - don't read music press and don't care about this crap. Also you're assuming that those who bought that MM issue actually read that article or even remember it. Stop being a sensationalist moron.

So much idiocy in this post.
>Curve was known for chasing every prevailing wind that would even hint at a short term commercial success
Yeah sure. That's why they did an album as non mainstream as Cuckoo. They didn't chase commercial success, they just did their thing and evolved their sound. Did you actually expect them to keep the same style over and over again?

That wasn't evolution it was a complete lane change of genres, I mean I can't speak as to why they did that exactly, but there was albums where they'd teeter that line of evolution and others where it was like "Well try this shit", Chinese Burn fucking sucks dude for the very reason I said, it was chasing a trend.

>Did you actually expect them to keep the same style over and over again?

No, Gift and Doppleganger are completely different albums from different times and I like them both.

Why are you defending a band like fucking Curve with so much conviction.
Fucking face it my man, they were a group of musicians who weren't on their first go around in the music business who hopped on whatever prevailing trend they thought could garner them money and recognition. That doesn't make Doppelgänger a bad album, but you really have to face the facts and accept that your new favorite band were trying to cash in on the shoegaze scene.

As soon as I saw a Curve thread with posts I fucking knew it would be full of Garbage baiting

Fuck you all, I like Doppelganger and Garbage's s/t. Both great albums. Shirley is the superior qt tho

Mezcal Head is a really fucking cool album. I like Catherine Wheel a lot too.

i only listened to their compilation album ehehe

I honestly find both curve and garbage so boring and don't understand how anyone could ever care about them ever.

Thx user i feel like i heard this somewhere when i was a kid.

>Shirley is the superior qt tho
wtf...