Why are the kinks so underrated?

why are the kinks so underrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ray-davies-strange-singing-accent.120542/
youtube.com/watch?v=qb5gJCEF4Cc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they're not.

The Bootles pretty much outdid them in all aspects.

Sorry your meme band didn't make it as high.

you now realize ray davies sings in a spanish accent
what was he thinking?

I have never heard this

here's at least one other person who agrees with me
forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ray-davies-strange-singing-accent.120542/
>Maybe it's just me, but Ray Davies' singing accent occasionally sounds like it was meant to be from a thin-moustached European restaurant maitre d' who speaks a hybrid Spanish/French. The kind of thing you'd hear from a character who looks like this:

I love them. Ray Davies is better than any other songwriter I can think of, but not as good as John and Paul. Waterloo Sunset is my favourite song ever, and Village Green Preservation Society is one of my top 10 albums, Something Else, Arthur and Face to Face (underrated) are 10s for me.
Oh, and let's not forget that Dave (one of the most overlooked guitarists going), created the best and most influential riff of all time

here's the post from that page attempting to explain the phenomenon
>The Key to Ray's voice lies in the 'patois' inflections on the Kingsmens 'Louie Louie'. It's all there, the strange strangulated 'calypso' accent, the phrasing, heck even the "Lets give it to 'em" scream before the solo, was lifted for the early Kinks hits YRGM and AOTDAAOTN. Nothing wrong with that.

>(Maybe as much an influence as Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley was stuff like the Kingsmen, Belafonte, 'limbo' records and, more authentic, would have been the west indian calypso that Ray and Dave may have heard in their teenage years. Lord Kitchener, Cyril Blake, Lord Beginner, The Ebonaires, this is the secret history of the UKs black music scene which blossomed at the Roaring Twenties club in the Bluebeat era but which originally had a focus on the calypso singers from the first wave off the Empire Windrush boat which docked at Tilbury in the summer of 1948. The big scene in the art schools, which was the milieu Ray was involved with, was 'trad jazz' spearheaded by Humphrey Lyttleton who had made groundbreaking 'fusion' records with west indian musicians in the 40s on Parlophone. I think Ray Davies has always had an interest in 'exotic' music, or as it would have been known then 'international' - long before 'world music'. I saw Ray in a record shop in Sao Paulo in 1999 buying vintage bossa nova records. It wasn't a passing fancy. Check out 'No Return' on the Something Else album from 1967. Pure bossa, thru strange London distortion. 'See My Friends' picked up on Indian modal form and I think 'Come Dancing' in many ways references the nostalgia of the band music of leaders like Edmundo Ross. Certainly Rock and Roll was a driving force, the ignition, for british beat. But the existing forms, whether west-indian or music hall or whatever shouldn't be discounted. Listening to Ray Davies is to be treated to a synthesis of many strands of popular music, with a peculiar 'british' inflection.)

idk maybe I'm deaf but I'm still not hearing it
to me Ray just has a brit accent which sounds a bit cartoonish on purpose sometimes

They aren't necessarily underrated as much as they weren't as popular as they should have been at their time. I read that this was mainly due to mismanagement and unfortunate incidents that banned them from the states for a while.

>meme band
can you faggots talk normally every once in a while or are your deranged teenage minds beyond saving?

pretty apparent on "i'm on an island"

The latter
they're going to be in this state their entire lives while the world moves on around them
the internet's created an entire lost generation of braindead permateens

Because their songs are incredibly uncatchy and not good

huh you might have a point

>'calypso' accent

youtube.com/watch?v=qb5gJCEF4Cc

The latter, sadly

>talk no0rmally
>faggots

don't you have some 3 inch fish you caught to be sharing on fb

>old people on facebook amirite hah what an embarrassment not like us aloof hip young people over here on 4chins and reddit

joe strummer completely btfo'd them in terms of british imitation of caribbean music

>hahah it's ME, projecting!

no i'm talking about midwest closeminded hunting whities who lose their shit over internet lingo but still use slurs

I'd say grow up but you prolly only got a few years left grandpa

what do dumb internet buzzwords have to do with slurs?

idk what you're trying to say.

You expect dumbasses to always say faggot and nigger here because they're user edgelords, but if they're going to say it and then bitch about using meme as an adjective then the fuck are they doing here.

'faggot' has come to mean someone stupid or annoying around here
'meme' means literally nothing as an adjective

nice memepost retard

wow it's almost like language evolved and if faggot can mean multiple things then meme can be used as an adjective for something hyped through humor and exposure

(though what's the difference if both are derogatory and your excuse is 'oh it's just not TARGETED to a minority' yup nope)

explain what a meme band is and how it relates to the kinks