How do you spot an industry plant? what are some supposed industry plants that are blowing up suspiciously now?

how do you spot an industry plant? what are some supposed industry plants that are blowing up suspiciously now?

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/features/rising/meet-clairo-the-youtube-star-turning-teenage-awkwardness-into-viral-gold/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yhLZ6X0KU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pic unrelated duh

?

Came out of nowhere with a big hit

example?

post malone

Lana del rey

this is the most obvious example

I'm convinced Lenny Kravitz was an industry plant

Kanye's not an industry plant, you can track him from nowhere to coming up into the industry through several levels to where he is now.

Oh yeah definitely, he was supposed to be the new Jimi Hendrix but the only problem was he could only make one song and it was usually about flying.

Alternatively, people whose families have marketing and advertising/music industry ties and buy their way up, like Russ

>pic unrelated

Nah, I remember he got big a while after he released white iverson, and tbf it's easy to see why

that doesnt really count tho

Desiigner. Probably because Future verses got too expensive or something like that.

Possibly the most apparent one I’ve ever seen.

the "recently deceased" "new kurt cobaine" who was "huge in russia"

he put out a bunch of shit albums that no one listened to though

he put out like 8 or so mixtapes before he got big

The worst, corniest shit too

this

Lana was underground for a while, even if her parents are rich.

>I only heard post-1993 Lenny Kravitz

The guy was more of an alternative artist in the early 90s, and his debut album was kind of significant in dispensing with 80s production tinsel and going back to a more basic sound. Problem was, he lost it in the late 90s. Hard.

Linkin Park

>band that pops up out of nowhere with a slick major label album that somehow perfectly taps into late 90s pop culture

Dudes were just the rock equivalent of N*Sync.

what in the fuck i am now currently gay because of this internet picture

Pearl Jam? When you're appearing on Time Magazine covers like this, it gets awfully suspicious.

Yeah it's not suspicious or weird at all that he was appearing in fashion shows as a model or touring internationally while barely past one of those tapes, or that he moved to LA

That's P!nk, stop doing drugs

just check the production credits. if they dont have instrumental writing credits they're likely a studio plant. bonus points if they dont even have vocal writing credits

Disturbed had the same thing happen

No, not even remotely.

Chance the rapper. It's so obvious it hurts

Springsteen wasn't an industry plant but what did happen is that in the 70s, the media in the US started hiring young, hip writers and journalists to appeal to baby boomers, because they got worried that their audience had an average age of 50 or something. Problem was these journalists were all Christgaufags who used their position to shill artists that were critics' pets and media darlings. Back at that time, so far as mainstream media discussed rock music, it was generally revolving around Dylan/Stones/Who/Beatles/Springsteen. You never saw a Time or Newsweek piece relating to stoner AOR like Aerosmith or Kansas.

>voice of a generation
>PJ
Get real. You totally know this was written by some 45 year old who was trying to establish some "link" with dadrock, probably because Eddie Vedder frequently namedropped The Who and Neil Young.

Nah, Pearl Jam were shit and most of their fans were girls anyway. Guys listened to other bands.

At least Christgau wasn't fooled by them (of their discography, only Vitalogy met with his approval).

Plus PJ's guitars sounded like pastiche Hendrix.

>literally forgetting how big Ten was when it came out
>also them being around as Mother Love Bone

Another thing to consider is that unlike most grunge bands, they decided to change their sound from that angsty early stuff unlike so many of their contemporaries that wanted to keep that image.

Of the big four grunge bands, Pearl Jam and AIC definitely had the largest amount of classic rock in their sound.

>Another thing to consider is that unlike most grunge bands, they decided to change their sound from that angsty early stuff unlike so many of their contemporaries that wanted to keep that image

Like, for example, Metallica. You wanna talk a band who couldn't grow the fuck up.

Quoth James Hetfield, "In this business, you're not allowed to get old. I can't go around being an angry teenager forever, but somehow I've been forced to prolong my adolescence. Which raises a lot of interesting questions if you think about it."

Half of PJ were in bands that virtually invented grunge and had been playing for ten years, so no, not a plant. But PJ became media darlings and shill bait because their music was more accessible to boomers.

Also because ironically Nirvana's camp were corporate and inaccessible like a machine. In touring terms Vedder was more approachable than Cobain by 1992

>But PJ became media darlings and shill bait because their music was more accessible to boomers

Because mock Hendrix guitars and Neil Young worship?

>Quoth

thanks obama

All of the Big Four thrash bands are old dads, none of them are really angry anymore.

Yeah I'll give him credit for not falling into the 60s nostalgia trap. Most of the 90s bands he was big on were indie rock.

Duh?

Also applies to Lenny Kravitz. Dude was an industry plant to sell to baby boomers who wanted a peace and love kind of message and didn't want to deal with all the 90s rock songs about suicide and heroin addiction.

Yeah this cunt sucks

the label should on the bottom left foot

6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK 6LACK

>His name is black, isnt that relatable to URBAN YOUTH?

Eddie Vedder was also pretty open about his "politics" which the media also couldn't get enough of.

friend of mine went to school with post, he did babd with him, hes 100% a plant, jewish dad

There was one of his columns where he said that many of his boomer peers were able to appreciate punk and alternative bands, but they just couldn't digest hip-hop at all, it was beyond them.

there's no way anybody in AIC was an industry plant tho

A lot of people can't "get" hip-hop because it eschews normal conventions of melody and song structure. Usually when people outright dismiss an entire genre of music, it's because 99% of the time they're evaluating it based on the conventions of a different genre of music. If your problem with hip-hop lays in the fact that you only "get" conventional solo-after-the-third-verse pop song structures, then of course you're not going to appreciate it.

no it's lil pepe i swear

Desiigner is better than Future tho.

This, but unironically.

Reminds me of this one boomer idiot on Steve Hoffman Forum who was going on about how Led Zeppelin and punk ruined rock and roll, to say nothing of hip-hop. The guy was particularly obsessed with hating the Ramones for some reason. He did essentially the same thing, which was complaining that the Ramones and hip-hop don't have any swing to them and no element of blues.

If your main complaint is that a band doesn't sound like Chuck Berry with bouncy piano fills, then yeah, there's pretty much no hope for you.

I think an industry plant looks like this.

@77499874
@77500711
>samefagging this blatantly because you didn't get any (Yous)

Annnnd there's always at least one retard. Let me give you a quick rundown of his career to show you how retarded you sound. He

>started out in a jazz band called Kids These Days
>started rapping in high school, gained noteriety after getting suspended and dropping his 10 Day mixtape
>Childish Gambino liked him and decided to take him out on tour
>Gets a feature on one of Gambino's tapes
>This was enough exposure for him to gain buzz on his own and release Acid Rap
>Everything else should be self-explanatory

This doesnt mean he's signed to Obama you fucking retards.

Pearl Jam only really sounded like dadrock on Ten, their later albums move away from that mock-Hendrix sound.

Yeah but Ten was the album all normies knew about.

THE SEX PISTOLS WERE LITERALLY A BOYBAND CREATED BY MALCOLM MCLAREN TO PROMOTE HIS BONDAGE SHOP.

This girl's father is a millionaire marketing executive for Coca-Cola and Converse and it's painful how hard the article tries to pretend that she's a normal everyday girl making DIY pop music that randomly hit it big

pitchfork.com/features/rising/meet-clairo-the-youtube-star-turning-teenage-awkwardness-into-viral-gold/

I can only imagine what would be said about Carly Simon if the Internet had existed in the 70s.

I dunno why people haven't posted the most obvious ones.

>Lil Xan
>Lil Pump
>Lil Peep
>Tekashi69
>Trippie Redd

Basically any "big" SoundCloud rapper in 2017.

Half of those 90s alternachicks like Alanis, Jewel, etc were manufactured to sell alternative albums to girls because Hole weren't radio-friendly.

Jewel sucks beyond redemption. Anyone who writes a song called "I'm Sensitive" needs to have their teeth rearranged.

>Calling people retards
>That'll throw them off!!
Everyone knows Chance is an industry plant, just stop.

Cousin used to work at Radio Shack circa 1999 and they loved playing Jewel videos on the store TVs because she was a local girl from Texas.

ha ha eipic bost bro :^) first time Ive seen this joke for sure XD

clairo is the worst, out of nowhere "bedroom pop" sensation and is now being shilled for by p4k

Din't Lana Del Rey admit that she fucked people to get a career?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yhLZ6X0KU

Well...

I really dig like 3 songs off acid rap. Is there a better version of him anyone reccs?

This is retarded

This is facts

this. Aside from Soundcloud, I'd say Brockhampton is a pretty obvious industry plant

Apple Music shilled this guy so hard

he's not an industry plant, if you followed him fro 10 day-acid rap his growth was really organic. the leap from acid rap to colouring book was... suspicious. but to call him an industry plant is a stretch.

also can't give rec because he's pretty unique, especially acid rap

not true, he was certainly making waves before AM

Journey

What do you mean by industry plant? They all are. All famous artists go from 0 to 100 because of industry meddling. Not because they organically got their on their own due to their *talent alone, what a joke. Bright eyes, henry rollins, there's a handful of famous guys I know who weren't industry manufactured

..also santa claus isn't real

You're right he's just a faggot with his dad's connections being bolstered up by other faggots

Oh? Which label is he a plant of?

Fucking underage faggot. Just because you never listened to him before his Kanye feature doesn't mean he's new and "came out of nowhere".

Literally if you did 10 minutes of research, you'd know this.

>people who think Chance's first song was Ultralight Beam really believe this

They're managed by Tyler's manager, they were bound to blowup.

No, because he's the best. Theres Kyle, but he's literally a worse version of him.

dude, theres nothing special about melody in hiphop, most of the time you're sampling some other genre anyways. and the songstructure is regular old verse chorus verse, nothing special to "get" there.

There's some study that says rap fans listen to words, as in that area of brain lights up as opposed to normal people who's other areas light up listening to real music. The study didn't mention that rap fans are fucking retarded and should be blasted into space to live out their days in a confined space shuttle.

At least she's honest about how she got where she is.

Well, yeah.

You guys are dumb as fuck

no early albums that sound like shit, overproduced songs from the getgo

Be nice to my gothboi clique nigga peep.