ITT: Forgotten bands/songs of the alternative era

youtube.com/watch?v=DoEav9mAB3U
>Catherine Wheel - Crank, #5 Modern Rock in 1993, lead singer is the cousin of Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson, had a string of other hits but hardly anyone remembers these guys

youtube.com/watch?v=zfRNZucoCyw
>Geggy Tah - Whoever You Are, #16 Modern Rock 1996, signed to David Byrne's label, one half of the duo became a big name music industry songwriter/producer and just won like 3 Grammys

youtube.com/watch?v=EE-znePV0UQ
>The Grays - Very Best Years, signed to Sony was a huge local hit on KROQ in 1994, crossed over to minor national modern rock radio and MTV play, broke up shortly after, album barely sold any copies and is now out of print

youtube.com/watch?v=GTxb7je8ZhY
>Chalk FarM (yes that's how it was stylized) - Lie on Lie, briefly signed to Columbia, #35 Modern Rock, #13 Mainstream Rock in 1996, disappeared shortly after

youtube.com/watch?v=_8zkTOQfW7M
>Buffalo Tom - Sodajerk, #7 Modern Rock in 1993, power pop band that floated around various indie labels for a while, lead singer/songwriter now works for Allmusic and wrote a 33 1/3 book

youtube.com/watch?v=M92fR8QRnio
>Possum Dixon - Watch the Girl Destroy Me, #9 Modern Rock 1993, signed to Interscope but never made it big, lead singer is now a TV actor and magician in LA

youtube.com/watch?v=ja0eDZIyfbI
>The Caulfields - Devil's Diary, got some minor modern rock radio and MTV play, was a moderate hit in Australia (#61), band were dropped by their label two weeks before making their second album and then broke up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mMfxI3r_LyA
youtube.com/watch?v=KrgtFr24Lcw
youtube.com/watch?v=qcUMLn87SEM
youtube.com/watch?v=rtZAzh0TSAo
youtube.com/watch?v=-JtXZsUlI68
youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7hId9AzM8
youtube.com/watch?v=NEfpoUuKFOY
youtube.com/watch?v=OVqBYkrlsmw
youtube.com/watch?v=EPhBgRSj6YQ
youtu.be/6DZn0lDglMI
youtu.be/a0zEkiQ5biI
youtu.be/V_UR61itZxo
youtu.be/tWZ9ihZ_TUw
youtube.com/watch?v=kQhIQk0ImRw
youtube.com/watch?v=BeDzgwHvB30
youtube.com/watch?v=NIyKgzTum0w
youtube.com/watch?v=isO9VTj6lhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HtiCaODfIzI
youtube.com/watch?v=lKjTRB9zeqw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If they had just released a couple more albums and not just this one they could've been as popular as Daft Punk

youtube.com/watch?v=mMfxI3r_LyA
youtube.com/watch?v=KrgtFr24Lcw
youtube.com/watch?v=qcUMLn87SEM

Lady was a huge hit in UK and the rest of Europe. And in the club scene in the US too because there were a ton of killer remixes of that song in addition to the original.

Always used to get it confused with Moloko's "Sing it Back" which was a similarly titled, fairly house group with a hit single from that same era
youtube.com/watch?v=rtZAzh0TSAo

With great remixes too:
youtube.com/watch?v=-JtXZsUlI68

youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7hId9AzM8
>Denzil - Useless
British graphic designer who moonlights a singer-songwriter gets his demo tape passed to Warner Brothers. He immediately gets signed and records a debut album. The lead single "Useless" is slowing building airplay across the country on modern rock stations, the album comes out to rave reviews in NME, Rolling Stone, CMJ, etc., is considered for Grammy nomination... and nothing. The album sells 10k copies total, the single bombs on radio, and the dude is forgotten within a couple months.

youtube.com/watch?v=NEfpoUuKFOY
>Cowboy Mouth - Jenny Says
#26 Mainstream and #33 Modern Rock in 1997. Guitarist originally was in 80s band Red Rockers which had a #53/big MTV hit in the mid-80s with "China" and toured with U2.

youtube.com/watch?v=OVqBYkrlsmw
>Freedy Johnston - Bad Reputation

Minor one hit wonder produced by Butch Vig, #29 Mainstream Top Pop, #28 Modern Rock, #31 Adult Contemporary in 1995. Became "literally who" tier shortly after.

youtube.com/watch?v=EPhBgRSj6YQ
Wax - Southern California
>Spike Jonze video, 120 minutes hit, #28 Modern Rock in 1995, had a bunch of songs licensed to movies and ads, broke up by the end of the year

>Geggy Tah
This song is the definition of both fun and stupid.

That's what makes it so good

Edwyn Collins
youtu.be/6DZn0lDglMI

Superdrag
youtu.be/a0zEkiQ5biI
Heatmiser
youtu.be/V_UR61itZxo
Babes in Toyland
youtu.be/tWZ9ihZ_TUw

I feel like I still hear that Edwyn Collins a bit but yeah the others for sure I don't think I've heard in 20 years.

Catherine Wheel were probably the most acclaimed shoegaze band outside of the big 3

I’ve heard Lady so many times thinking it was Daft Punk. Just realized it was never them.

Catherine Wheel are probably the most underrated band of that era

Ferment and Chrome are so fucking good. They're the best Shoegaze band outside of MBV and Ride.

Also Adam & Eve, while no longer shoegaze, is straight up one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Whipping Boy
youtube.com/watch?v=kQhIQk0ImRw

Yeah but that's not really saying much. Most casuals don't care all that much about shoegaze outside of Loveless, much less the big 3. Catherine Wheel isn't even in the Top 20 on RYM for shoegaze (yeah it's RYM I know, but just an example).

Yeah they're really good. I didn't seriously give them a shot until I saw this dude talk about them:
youtube.com/watch?v=BeDzgwHvB30

Therapy?

>youtube.com/watch?v=NIyKgzTum0w
>youtube.com/watch?v=isO9VTj6lhQ
>youtube.com/watch?v=HtiCaODfIzI

People have no idea how fucking huge this band was for a while. They were pretty much treated as the European answer to Nirvana until Britpop happened and immediately made angsty alternative rock fall out of fashion with the UK music press.
Though the fact that they followed up their catchy, upbeat crossover smash hit record with an utterly turgid and depressing album(and actually their best work, a classic album up there with The Holy Bible and Suede's debut) bereft of any potential hits probably didn't help.

I have no idea why Whipping Boy failed to make an impact.
The critics loved them, you had people like Lou Reed and Billy Corgan praising them in interviews, the music was obviously great. It all ended up amounting to nothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=lKjTRB9zeqw

make sure you listen to Adam & Eve. I agree with the dude saying its on the level of OK Computer.

Honestly the problem with the band at the time...they were constantly on the verge of breaking out, but kept getting hit by Label issues. If properly marketed by the label, the Happy Days album shoulda set em up in the US.

>Therapy
whoa this is great.

whoa this is great

>whoa this is great
whoa this is great