Does anybody still make good jazz...

Does anybody still make good jazz? It seems like all the jazz albums the people say are good from the past few years are all just jazz-electronic-hip hop-avant garde fusion and they're all just trying to make the weirdest sounds in an effort to be "innovative" again instead of just making good music.

Sup Forums is a terrible place to get recommendations for contemporary jazz because the type of people who post here think that innovative=good and that surface level shit like weird sounds and instruments are the only ways of innovating.

you should probably look into the criss cross record label which has a lot of great musicians and composers who record their music live in the studio and focus on the artists unique compositional and improvisational voices instead of a bunch of noise gimmickry.

Mostly Other People Do The Killing is pretty good.

what albums do you rec?

>why aren't people doing the same rehash of miles davis for the 80 gazillionth time?
You know in Naked City where they start to play that shit and then they start screaming over it? Because everybody's heard it 80 gazillion times and it's boring as fuck?
>good music
Making a polished example of a worn out genre is only "good" to boring people.

Not that guy but check out Forty Fort by Mostly Other etc

>Sup Forums is a terrible place to get recommendations for contemporary jazz because the type of people who post here think that innovative=good and that surface level shit like weird sounds and instruments are the only ways of innovating.

Look here's one now!

>the type of people who post here think that innovative=good
If I want to listen to the same old shit I can just listen to the same old shit
>and that surface level shit like weird sounds and instruments are the only ways of innovating
nice strawman

So all Fusion is bad?

>I can't hear any differences in music beyond surface level shit like instrumentation and timbre

>doubling down on a strawman
wew lad

lol feel free to prove me wrong then. What are some all acoustic jazz albums in the last 5 years that you found innovative and what made them innovative?

I don't listen to too much jazz and I don't know if they're in the last 5 years, but I John Zorn's stuff, eg the Masada series, and liked some of Matthew Shipp's stuff, though both of them have started to get old.

But you forgot the most important part-
what's innovative about them?

Sometimes a strawman is actually made out of straw

>what made them innovative?
With Zorn it's obviously the incorporation of the klezmer, and with Shipp it's much more a different rhythmic style and some difference in modes and progressions, though I'm not such an expert as to be clear on what they are in strict vocab

I think a strawman is always made of straw. I also don't think you understand the point of calling it a strawman.

But Zorn was not even close to the first jazz artist to use Klezmer influence in jazz. People like Bennie Goodman and Artie Shaw were doing that 80 years ago.

As for the supposed innovations you point out from Matt Shipp let me just respond with:
Hahahahahahahaha

I could mumble some shit about modes and progressions and rhythms as a reason why every jazz album released last year was completely innovative if this is what you think innovation is.

Guess it turns out that you're the one listening to rehashes of the same old shit. Who would have guessed...

You sound like more of an expert than me. All I know it doesn't sound like Miles Davis (or Kenny G) for the 80 gazillionth time.

So who are your great innovators, o wise user?

I doubt it will matter much since you seem infatuated only with surface level observations of music but here are some jazz artists that I think are making music that is both innovative and good:

Steve Lehman
Henry Threadgill
Yosvany Terry
Craig Taborn
John Escreet
Maria Schneider
Vijay Iyer
Davis Binney
David Virelles
Mary Halvorson
Tim Berne

For the record both Matt Shipp and John Zorn have pretty good music too.

Labels to check out:

ECM Records
World Galaxy Records,
Nimbus West Records,
International Anthem

Artists to check out:
William Parker,
Chris Potter,
Natasha Agrama,
Jonah Parzen-Johnson,
Ronald Bruner,

I semi-regularly hang out with some students at UTexas Jazz Program who hit me up with some good stuff but they mostly listen to older bop and big band. Often newer jazz I find out Sup Forums, rym, or bandcamp. BTW gave a good list as well

I wouldn't discredit Zorn as not innovative but his jazz compositions are generally much less innovative than his classical pieces which he's better known for anyways. Also while Benny Goodman definitely made use of Klezmer, it was in a way that was more easier to digest than Zorn, so I'd credit Zorn as an important Jewish composer with regard to reforming the very old eastern european music he's influenced by.

Underrated band, really fun music that's experimental without being overly free

bump