ITT

Chase Roberts
Chase Roberts

ITT: Weird habits from your country that other countries may find strange.

In Brazil we don't throw the toilet paper in the toilet, but into a trash can next to it.

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlgKvTzHKGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rIqKr4syo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8
Jacob Reed
Jacob Reed

I'm Brazilian and I somehow picked this habit up even though I was raised in the US.

Jack Lopez
Jack Lopez

You get mercilessly teased and bullied if your classmates find out that you're not yet circumcised at sixth grade. Or even past fourth grade.

As it was a ceremony of some sorts to young adulthood, your peers would think you're gay while the girls think you're a chicken.

Didn't even believe that "getting it snipped" would get you a growth spurt. I just wanna get an exemption card and a license to bully at second grade.

Connor Bennett
Connor Bennett

Uncircumcised dicks are superior in all aspects. More sensibility, less risks of "fail" in the right time. It's even more beautiful tho.

Jack Bailey
Jack Bailey

Not country-wide but in my state it's considered weird to take your hat off in a restaurant unless you're at someplace fancy(in which case you probably wouldn't have a hat on anyway)

Tyler Myers
Tyler Myers

Let me see...

we kiss each other to say hi, doesn't matter if I dont know you and if we have the same sex

when we drink mate we share it to anyone, for example, if you drink mate in your uni you may share it with 6-8 people, like making a round... and all of them drink from the same straw, and foreigners usually find this gross.

Joseph Nguyen
Joseph Nguyen

In my country we eat monkey soup.
It sounds terrible, but it is far too tasty.

Leo Perry
Leo Perry

We invite amerindians to copulate with our wives.

Charles Bell
Charles Bell

I eat a lot of spicy, specially on snacks. I bathe my snacks on like 2 types of spicy sauces, soy sauce, lemon, and 2 types of powder chile. People say that Im crazy for eating something so spicy but I never get a stomachache for doing so.

Samuel Flores
Samuel Flores

whoa....

Justin Robinson
Justin Robinson

Are you me?
I eat Indian food almost all the time and pour sriracha on everything else

Logan Walker
Logan Walker

But it is normal in your country or just a weirdness from you?

Jose Fisher
Jose Fisher

I dont think I have ever tasted sriracha but whenever I eat tacos I pour a lot of sauce on my tacos combining both the red one and the green one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlgKvTzHKGs
Search for Dorilokos or Tostilokos, I personally dont like those that much since the vegetables and other random shit they put on it taste really bad for me. The thing I do tastes like extremely spicy and salty crunchy chips
And even then not everyone does that, some just put a lot of Valentina on it instead.

Mason Jones
Mason Jones

This is what a graveyard looks like here.
Those houses carry a whole family coffins.

Jeremiah Roberts
Jeremiah Roberts

Some people apparently throw water out the windows during the new year festival as a symbol of new year, new me...or something like that...

I also learned that just recently, I don't understand it..

Kissing is a common greeting exchange everywhere in Latin America except for males, though some relatives do that, it's just uncommon.

Jordan Evans
Jordan Evans

cheek to cheek kiss salutes, usually exaggering a "muack" sound

Colton Turner
Colton Turner

we kiss each other to say hi, doesn't matter if I dont know you and if we have the same sex
OP asked for strange habits, not gay habits.

We are very aware that Argentina abounds in faggottry.

Landon Perry
Landon Perry

You argies have serious problems with kisses, wtf.

John Russell
John Russell

I remember visiting family in Argentina and it caused a whole bunch of drama when I pushed an uncle away when he tried to kiss me.

Colton Green
Colton Green

tfw half-Brazilian and I couldn't understand why my relatives would do such a thing

Jackson Price
Jackson Price

its only a cheek2cheek thing tho

Carson Williams
Carson Williams

We buy a lot of guns for funs and I like it that way.

Brayden Long
Brayden Long

It's disgusting to see that fucking paper filled with shit that came from the depths of your ass softing and spliting into the water.

Jordan Price
Jordan Price

In Canada we all have to say good night to each other if we live in the same floor and then we all have to shower together in the shower in the morning.

Owen Powell
Owen Powell

Is it true that price tags on things are before taxes, so when you get to the cashier the actual price is higher?

Jason Gonzalez
Jason Gonzalez

Thats only weird if its with a man
We also do that in Mexico
Get a trash can with a cover.

Caleb Price
Caleb Price

a gay habit coming from Canada

Oooooh, so much surprised.

Kevin Hill
Kevin Hill

It's the norm for man saying hi to girls, and girls to girls.
Man just shake their hands here in RS.

The mate is normal. But we don't share from a outsider, example:
working
everyone is drinking a chimarão
a client show up
we don't pass to him, and if someone pass to you, you politely denied it. Because you were not invited in the first place.

Jack Jones
Jack Jones

Kissing as a greeting (even when its straight) is very very rare here and even then its generally just for grandparents.

So when this guy I dont know ran up came and tried kiss me I though he was gay and being pushy.

Daniel Edwards
Daniel Edwards

Yes and it's theft.

Joseph Mitchell
Joseph Mitchell

They did this in Costa Rica but when you know the reason it's not that strange. I thought it was going to be really gross but it wasnt.

It's the Italian in them

In my country, workplace and school has designated times for using the bathroom. Everyone goes around 1:30 PM. Bathrooms in the United States are very high-capacity because of this.

Alexander Rodriguez
Alexander Rodriguez

very comfy

Julian Reed
Julian Reed

There's a reason for it? Controlling the flux of shit into the sewers or something?

Nolan Lewis
Nolan Lewis

I think its because the pipes get clogged with the paper

Henry Ramirez
Henry Ramirez

I've never visited Brazil so tell me, how do you deal with all that poop smell?

Elijah Scott
Elijah Scott

are you guys serious? Yes, it's because most houses don't have adequate plumbing to handle the toilet paper.

Hudson Green
Hudson Green

Athens has the same problem

Owen Hernandez
Owen Hernandez

It's disgusting to see that fucking paper filled with shit that came from the depths in a trash can, smelling up the bathroom.

Luis Watson
Luis Watson

There is a cover in the "shit bucket". You don't smell shit, just piss in the ground because you tried to pee with your morning wood.

Adrian Walker
Adrian Walker

i don't think cleaning your ass with paper is normal. People normally go take a shower after shitting

Oliver Wright
Oliver Wright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rIqKr4syo

Ian Gutierrez
Ian Gutierrez

Weird habits from your country that other countries may find strange
I'm trying really hard, but other than some culinary stuff (smalahove) i can't think of anything.

You tell me, if you know of anything.

Gavin Myers
Gavin Myers

No, unless you fuck up something.

Hudson Thompson
Hudson Thompson

"In Brazil we don't throw the toilet paper in the toilet, but into a trash can next to it".

Just learn something with us for once.

Ethan Miller
Ethan Miller

I don't feel like taking 3-5 showers a day though.
I wish I still got morning wood. I can't get any kind of wood anymore. :(

Julian Flores
Julian Flores

STOP THIS MEME

Ian Hill
Ian Hill

Im surprised not a single american has mentioned microwaving water

Daniel Collins
Daniel Collins

I wish I still got morning wood. I can't get any kind of wood anymore. :(
What? How old are you?
Your dick should work for like, 60 years...

Cooper Cox
Cooper Cox

Well, wherever I visited my family, one uncle I had was always more like "don't come with that bullshit", no one really made a big deal out of it though. I imagine you pushing your uncle is probably what made them more upset than refusing the kiss.

Ryan Carter
Ryan Carter

It doesn't. The trash cans are closed.

Dylan Baker
Dylan Baker

open trash bin
see shit paper

Aaron Gonzalez
Aaron Gonzalez

I'm 36. I think it's just my depression, but I recently started antidepressants and that made it go from almost impossible to get an erection to completely impossible to get an erection. I'm just hoping that if/when the depression itself goes away, the penis will wake up again.

Elijah Fisher
Elijah Fisher

Lol, drop the depression medicine and change something in your life.

Kayden Davis
Kayden Davis

Paying U$300,00 p/year for having a TV.
Food stores don't open on Sundays.

Henry Smith
Henry Smith

Other countries don't find it strange, just hilarious, as expected from retarded people like Americans.

Caleb Carter
Caleb Carter

depression medicine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8
Isnt there cases of those pretty much making things worst and turning people into literal psychos or something similar? The video is based on those things

Daniel White
Daniel White

you normally fold it in a way in which you don't see the brown color on the paper. still, I don't understand why this is so popular among Hispanic countries, do we all have shit piping?

Daniel Hill
Daniel Hill

Food stores don't open on Sundays
Wait, is that strange? Isn't Sundays supposed to be holy in Christian countries, and you're not supposed to work? Isn't Brazil mostly Christian?

William Gray
William Gray

Brazil isn't Hispanic, and we have this habit as well.

Isaiah Ross
Isaiah Ross

LatinAmerica
Not being poor
I think everyone has shit piping
Some places usually close earlier on sunday but food stores being closed doesnt seem that weird.

Jason Foster
Jason Foster

Well, here the most part of the stores close on the Sundays, not only food stores, and we don't work too. But in the way I saw this about Norway, looked like ONLY the food stores don't open on Sundays. Forgive my mistake.

Ryan Thomas
Ryan Thomas

I don't even do that with women. The only woman I kiss is my wife. I just shake hands or hug, and hugs are only for family. This has been awkward, as my wife's family is more "ethnic" than mine. The men like to hug, and the women like to cheek kiss.

Ryan Gray
Ryan Gray

nah we throw our tp into the bowl. Sometimes it clogs but you unclog it and that's it

Xavier Nguyen
Xavier Nguyen

naturally, the other third world shitholes doing worse than us are just too poor to have a toilet

Owen Mitchell
Owen Mitchell

Sharing the Mate, fucking gross.

Gavin Rivera
Gavin Rivera

Just to clarify, Mexican spicy is completelly different than Indian spicy.

Chase Martin
Chase Martin

that's mate 101. You're drinking and with someone you know then you ask if they want a mate.
It's the same as sharing a sip of water out of a bottle. You've got an immune system quit acting sissy

Hudson Hernandez
Hudson Hernandez

How? Ive never tasted Indian spicy

Brayden Harris
Brayden Harris

Is this the norm also with girls?

Jonathan Gutierrez
Jonathan Gutierrez

Well the heat comes from chilis in both cases. The other spices are what's different.

Owen Torres
Owen Torres

Indian Spice doesn't hang around for as long, but is hotter overall.
It's very intense for 30 seconds or so and then it fades on its own without you having to drink milk or anything.

Leo Ortiz
Leo Ortiz

OP here. Let's see how it's the feeling of doing this:

Jace Rodriguez
Jace Rodriguez

t. Crickets eater

Ryan Adams
Ryan Adams

Quite sickening, but acceptable.

6/10.

Nolan Martin
Nolan Martin

I kinda like that green toilet, except how do you know when you've gotten it all the way clean? Ours are all white here so it's easy to see where you've missed a spot.

Owen Kelly
Owen Kelly

I tasted them once when I went to Oaxaca and they arent that bad actually

Nicholas Wilson
Nicholas Wilson

Here the standarts are white too, but I rather prefer my green one. Also, it's not so hard to see, the only problem is knowing if there's piss on the water, so I always flush before using.

Bentley King
Bentley King

Yeah I've eaten dried insects a few times and they're pretty good. I'd honestly love to get some freshly cooked from the market like in that pic. Looks delicious tbqh.

Jonathan Turner
Jonathan Turner

t. Tizoc Hernandez

Alexander Johnson
Alexander Johnson

I like it exactly because I don't see the water becoming yellow or something. It's awful.

Jacob Turner
Jacob Turner

Im a CHI and i do this too

Isaac Evans
Isaac Evans

My grandpa has one of this but brown in his house, you never know if it's clean or not... You don't even see the poop after you shit

Grayson Lopez
Grayson Lopez

They don't use "chile" or "salsas", they use just spices that taste, well... "spicy"

Logan Wood
Logan Wood

I still like corn chips better but they arent that bad, I would like to eat them once again but I doubt I will go there anytime soon. Meanwhile I eat some small dried fish with spicy as a snack every once in a while
t.CHI
I love dark toilets for that reason.

Landon Long
Landon Long

we all have to shower together in the shower in the morning
what part of Canada do you live in?

Joshua Davis
Joshua Davis

You just fix an additional cup of fucking Mate for the other person.

Sharing saliva is fucking gross and subhuman desu.

Jordan Gutierrez
Jordan Gutierrez

And you have to add the electric showers... You probably don't realize that outsiders shit in their pants when they have to take a shower under these for the first time.

Joshua Brown
Joshua Brown

you take 3-5 shits a day?

Jason Moore
Jason Moore

green toilet
fucking toilet paper touching the floor

Xavier Gomez
Xavier Gomez

Sorry for the double mention, i'm phoneposting and I have big fingers

Ryan Edwards
Ryan Edwards

Fuckin A, man. I don't understand how people who only shit once a day or once every two days don't just feel bloated all the time.

Joseph Flores
Joseph Flores

Just set the shower in a way that pleasures you, m8.

Dylan Ross
Dylan Ross

I shit once every two and sometimes three days...

Jordan Jackson
Jordan Jackson

Search electric shower on google
This doesnt seem too bad
Search electric shower brazil
Oh...

Brandon Smith
Brandon Smith

How much do you eat? How many calories, fibre?

Isaiah Williams
Isaiah Williams

My gf shits once a week or even less.

This baffles me of course.

John Bailey
John Bailey

I shit every two or three days.

You must be full of shit (literally), but what can you expect eating plastic burger food 24/7.

Caleb Ramirez
Caleb Ramirez

I don't pay attention to calories or any of that but I don't really eat excessively. I mean I have a decent appetite and on occasion will pig out, but I usually only have one or two normal meals a day, with occasional snacking. My diet is not amazing, but not horrible either, especially by burger standards.

Jordan Sullivan
Jordan Sullivan

it's pretty fucking common to take food out of other people's dishes if you are relatives or friends.
I haven't been in a home that doesn't have hot sauces in their kitchens.
Spicy sauce is put into everything, popcorn, fruit, salad, candies, previously spiced food, spicy chips, beer or you just drinking it straight up.
everything is food, from insects to bone marrow to brains and animal eyeballs and everything in between, as long as is properly cooked and exhaustively spiced even dirt tastes good.
Virgin marys everywhere you go, from schools, to hospitals, houses, cabs, buses, public toilets, heck I've met several people that go around their lives carrying a virgin mary token or card inside their wallets.
Old people love gardening like a fucking lot, entire biomes can be found inside and outside old people's houses, perhaps that's why chi's are such good gardeners when they cros the border

Bentley Hall
Bentley Hall

None of those things are true in my home or in any of my friend's, aren't you going a bit overboard?

Gavin Kelly
Gavin Kelly

What parts of Mexico are you guys from? I mean I've never even visited so I don't know shit but it seems reasonable that that could be regional shit?

Jeremiah Rogers
Jeremiah Rogers

What are you talking about? Those things all seem pretty common. The "everything is food" part doesnt apply to the whole country but more to specific places and the gardedning part Im not too sure but everything else is right.

Andrew Turner
Andrew Turner

hot sauce shit is real as far as I've seen by traveling from Yucatan to Chiapas, to mexico city and all the way to Baja.
In my home state insects are quiet a delicacy and quiet expensive shit eaten in indigenous communities but bone marrow, intestines, brains and all that stuff is eaten all the way to San Luis Potosi.
You'd been shiting me about the virgin mary stuff unless you haven't used public transportation in all your life.
And gardening is qiet typical in the capital, and south, perhaps not as much in the north tho

Aaron Myers
Aaron Myers

I can relate to these
take food out of other people's dishes if you are relatives or friends.
I haven't been in a home that doesn't have hot sauces in their kitchens.
Spicy sauce is put into popcorn, fruit, spicy chips
i eat insects, bone marrow and brains
Old people love gardening like a fucking lot, entire biomes can be found inside and outside old people's houses, perhaps that's why chi's are such good gardeners when they cros the border
I've never done the shit paper in the bin and I've only seen that in public restrooms

Hunter Clark
Hunter Clark

Insects are expensive? Why?
bone marrow, intestines, brains
My nigga. The only brains I've ever eaten were in Mexican food. I've had them in tacos, and also I don't know the word for this but a Mexican place down the road from me makes these smaller corn tortillas that get fried so they're crunchy. The brains are inside with a bunch of spices. Those things are fucking amzing.

Thomas Ortiz
Thomas Ortiz

That's fucking harsh leave that shit hole

Austin Mitchell
Austin Mitchell

Insects are expensive? Why?
you can't harvest them and are only available in rainy seasons, they are rarely served as food anyways. I've only eaten insects at hipster underground bars alongside fine Mezcal or Tequila.
They work more as an appetizer or touristy gimmick than as a proper food unless you're from deep southern Chiapas where some insects such as giant worms and queen ants are indeed eaten in Tacos.

Jaxson Gonzalez
Jaxson Gonzalez

Sometimes we use a hakapik to smash a couple hundred thousands seal heads in annually.

Dominic James
Dominic James

WHAT THE FUCK CANADA!? I always forget that behind the shitpost there are psycopaths killing seals with clubs.

Camden Young
Camden Young

WHAT THE FUCK MEXICO!? I always forget that behind the shitpost there are psycopaths killing eachother with machetes.

Easton Carter
Easton Carter

Hey I've only chopped 2 heads off this year
I hate how western media stereotype us as this kind of fucked of character

Nicholas Sanders
Nicholas Sanders

touché ;_;

Adrian Nguyen
Adrian Nguyen

Mostly Maori customs like the hongi, which white Kiwis find a bit unusual as well. Some people find the habit of thanking the bus driver as you get off a little strange. There's also a few idioms like "Bring a plate" meaning Bring a plate of food at a communal get together.

Oliver Williams
Oliver Williams

sorry on a VPN for Netflix desu

Juan Watson
Juan Watson

I literally kissed other people cheeks until I was 16~ even if I didn't knew them even in school, and nodoby ever told me that I just had to "kiss" with my cheek. I wonder why.

Matthew Reed
Matthew Reed

It's not sarcasm funny when people think is real.

Cooper Walker
Cooper Walker

I find it funny for the exact same reason

Eli Rodriguez
Eli Rodriguez

The weird costumes you wear on proms
I don't remember if it's you or Sweden
Dancing naked around a pole on summer

Ryan Butler
Ryan Butler

russefest

Dominic Powell
Dominic Powell

Bring a plate
We have the same idea, but we just say "bring a dish to pass." This type of communal meal is called a potluck here.

Charles Hall
Charles Hall

Lmao we do this in Greece too

Midsummer is Sweden, but I don't know why you think we dance naked around the pole we dance with clothes

Matthew Powell
Matthew Powell

here a lot of companies work 7/24 except government, banks

Gavin Lewis
Gavin Lewis

We have a holiday where we eat pankakes in the park to celebrate the arrival of spring
You can't put money directly on someone's hand, you have to put it over a table or something.
We eat raw scallion with salt uma delicia.
When some stranger talks to you on the street it's very sudden because they don't call you to try and get your attention first, they just say "tell me where x is" (no "please" or any of that faggotry) out of nowhere and in a barely audible voice, so you have to be always ready

Brayden Fisher
Brayden Fisher

We eat with our hands.

Julian Bennett
Julian Bennett

do people do this in other countries too after they finish high school?

Gabriel Perry
Gabriel Perry

We have a grand march followed by a few days of grad parties.

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

The kissing thing is typical for Italians, French and Walloons. In Flanders people that want to come over as posh cunts also kiss dudes when they greet them

Gabriel Wood
Gabriel Wood

Uncircumcised dicks are superior in all aspects.

preach.

David Rivera
David Rivera

No but we do have chrysostomos, which is a party high school students hold when they have 100 days left until graduation. What happens is they go out on Thursday and on Friday they take over the entire school

Luke Gutierrez
Luke Gutierrez

This isn't true

I wasn't bullied because I had an uncut dick

Jaxon Miller
Jaxon Miller

Yeah I've heard of Potluck, and all of the Anglosphere has an equivalent of it. The plate thing is confusing as there are numerous stories of immigrants bringing empty plates to parties.

Brandon Parker
Brandon Parker

Everyone goes to a 2 weeks vacation to the south

Jeremiah Allen
Jeremiah Allen

We measure each other's willies in the sauna, especially in the army

Nathan Young
Nathan Young

we do that too, it's a bro thing

Owen Jenkins
Owen Jenkins

The pancake thing sounds comfy. The other thing, not so much.

Justin Collins
Justin Collins

Shit, I still do this even though I've lived in America for so long now

Ryder Kelly
Ryder Kelly

Interesting. We have quite a bunch of public toilets with displayed warnings asking everyone not to put toilet paper in the toilet, but I've never seen shit-stained toilet paper in the basket either.

I don't think anyone uses the basket, and everyone just puts it into the toilet anyway. It honestly feels weird to have a shit-paper basket waiting all day to be picked up by the establishment staff.

Weird habits from your country that other countries may find strange.
I'm not sure about this one, but quite a few foreigners have noted that it's weird that when we go out for drinks at night, there's this habit of ours to insist on paying the round for everyone in the group. This means that if two Portuguese are in the same group, there's often this discussion as to who gets to pay for everyone, and it's usually only ended after there are enough rounds so that everyone can pay for one.

Apparently this is odd behaviour, but I've seen it all my life. It's not even an ostentatious "I'm richer than you" kind of thing, and is often a genuine "I'll do this for you out of the bottom of my heart" kind of thing, but foreigners find it odd.

Parker Collins
Parker Collins

we don't step on thresholds because it would anger the home spirit who lives under them

every time I stepped on it when I was a kid I got yelled at

Bentley Roberts
Bentley Roberts

On Sunday or any other legal holiday pretty much the whole country shuts down, except for some restaurants and gas stations, even buses an trains only go hourly in big cities.

Dinner is not supposed to be a warm meal, only bread with toppings.

If you are agreeing on any kind of meeting then you are supposed to be there on the agreed time, which means coming five minutes early, standing in front of the doorand then ringing the bell with the stroke of the watch hand.

You bought your credit card for traveling puposes? Too bad, almost no one accepts credit here, why would you want to pay fees if paying with cash is cheaper?

All water is carbonated by default unless you explicitly request a non-gasous glass of water.

You don't have a lot of friends, here, friends are considered to be people you have known for years or even decades, anyone else is just an acquaintance.

Leo Ross
Leo Ross

On Sunday or any other legal holiday pretty much the whole country shuts down
no one accepts credit here
Get with the times for fuck sake. It's the worst thing about going to Germany how fucking backwards you guys are.

If you are agreeing on any kind of meeting then you are supposed to be there on the agreed time
This is good. Truly the sign of a civilized society.

All water is carbonated by default
Why would anyone want plain water anyway?

Overall pretty good, very much like Sweden except you're like 30 years behind on some things.

Thomas Ortiz
Thomas Ortiz

I really enjoyed that everytime I was in Turkey, there is always something going on in the night.

Nathan Collins
Nathan Collins

In Brazil we don't throw the toilet paper in the toilet, but into a trash can next to it.

some people do the same in Russia lol.

Ryder Jackson
Ryder Jackson

Get with the times for fuck sake. It's the worst thing about going to Germany how fucking backwards you guys are.
muh labor laws
muh transaction fees
muh bank privacy.

It's still not that uncommon to buy a car with cash.

Leo White
Leo White

People actively avoid stores here that don't take debit/credit cards. So at least here the transaction cost is well worth it for companies. Virtually every store here takes card, even very small businesses. In Germany you don't even take card in touristy places. So it's a bit of shock (and nuisance) when you're so used to just using your card and not having any cash on you.

Jordan Gutierrez
Jordan Gutierrez

Another thing, all Germans are required to possess a government-issued ID(not the driver's license) and confirm their identity upon request by police officials(this doesn't directly translate into an obligation to carry it but in the case the police can escort you to the next police station or your home for you to confirm your identity, so most Germans do it anyway or you have to do it yourself within 24h).

This also applies to foreigners, so you better carry your passport with you when you are here.

If you are a member of the Catholic or Lutheran church in Germany you are required to pay church tax which is withdrawn on behalf of the German finance minstry and you have to formally quit the church in order to avoid this.

This also applies to foreigners coming to live and work in Germany who were baptised in their respective home countries.

If you lied on your tax form about it then be prepared to get a letter from the tax ministry one or two decades later to pay back your taxes.

Alexander Butler
Alexander Butler

all Germans are required to possess a government-issued ID(not the driver's license) and confirm their identity upon request by police officials
Hitler would've been proud.

Kayden Walker
Kayden Walker

which is withdrawn by the finance minstry on behalf of the churches*

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall

If you are a member of the Catholic or Lutheran church in Germany you are required to pay church tax which is withdrawn on behalf of the German finance minstry and you have to formally quit the church in order to avoid this.
This also applies to foreigners coming to live and work in Germany who were baptised in their respective home countries.
How does one even quits the church? Do they give you a form to sign?
Here you can choose if the 0.5% of the taxes you pay goes to the Church or other organizations (scientific reaserch, NGOs, etc.)

Sebastian Torres
Sebastian Torres

Personally, I think that government-issued national ID cards are very pratical. Just look at the mess of hoops you have to jump through and the issues with identity frauds and theft in the US(the whole social security number piggybacking and the abundance of competing standards) and the UK with their passport interviews and required co-signatures.

Blake Gonzalez
Blake Gonzalez

You have to go to nearest district court and fill out a form pay 30 bucks and keep out the receipt for the rest of your life because one day the church might come back to claime the taxes and then you will have to prove that you quit.

Logan Barnes
Logan Barnes

That's actually pretty cool

Thomas Edwards
Thomas Edwards

isnt that common everywhere?

Luis Sanders
Luis Sanders

Paying taxes to ngos
Disgraceful.

Jordan Roberts
Jordan Roberts

Of course a German would think it's a good idea. But sometimes it's worth sacrificing some convenience for a greater cause. Sadly we have national ID cards, too, but there are ones issued by banks as well so at least there's that. And there's no requirement to carry it on you (or even have on) all the time because while our government is filled with morons, at least they're not openly fascists.

Christian Brooks
Christian Brooks

Why don't you just end it now?

Wyatt Martin
Wyatt Martin

I think it's good to have one standardized form of identity documentation but in many countries that don't have this they ended up using a more impractical, more insecure or blatantly inferior alternative anyway, like in the case of American social security numbers which were never meant to be used in that way.

Logan Carter
Logan Carter

It's one thing to have a standard and quite another to have it all be done by the government. All ID-card here, whether issues by the police, other governmental bodies or private actors (banks usually) follow the same standard. All without being an Orwellian nightmare.

I've never understood why Germans are so trusting of the state.

Isaiah Nguyen
Isaiah Nguyen

No. Picture is a normal finnish cemetery.

Matthew Gray
Matthew Gray

That looks really messy. Ours are more like well kept parks where it's supposed to be calm and quiet.

Zachary Clark
Zachary Clark

What's wrong with that? I used to do that all the time at work because I didn't wanna wait for it to boil on the stove.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page