Why was this album a commercial failure even though it's better than Damn?

Why was this album a commercial failure even though it's better than Damn?

>a commercial failure
Where did you hear that?

Do you really think normies would of liked songs like For Free?

Kendrick got a lot of recognition after this album, it made him a rap superstar

i dont see how that is a commercial failure

because the slight stylistic change probably put off his audience that was used to hearing material like ADHD, Swimming pools, bitch dont kill my vibe,

It doesn't sound as """"traditionally hip hop""""

The subject matter isn't about his struggle and adolescence in Compton

Don't get me wrong, i love to pimp a butterfly, but its a different vibe

Id be willing to accept that it wasn't commercially successful. i didn't hear it on the radio after the album dropped, but i heard DAMN all over the radio after it dropped

Damn what a retard

not an argument m8

>i didn't hear it on the radio after the album dropped
So that means the album didn't sell well?
And even in that case 'i' and 'Alright' did make it into the top 40.
So in either case you're wrong.

i would still say that it was a success, with his strong lyrics it was recognition and respect he needed, not being played on the radio, and this album provided it just perfectly

Radio play is generally an indication of which music is selling more/getting streamed more

After doing a little googlin... it seems that GKMC attained RIAA platinum TPAB got platinum, and damn was double platinum

so it was very commercially successful, just not as much as DAMN

Yeah the lyrics are very sharp, and song topics are excellent in this album

I just really liked the concept album element of GKMC too

>so it was very commercially successful,
That was literally my point though.

OP called it A commercial failure, and it's not. That's that.

Are you implying that TPAB isn't one of the most normie albums of all time?

yeah i figured that out. since i didnt really hear radio play, i just assumed it wasn't and i was wrong. I generally dont really pay attention to how much albums sell

It's one of the most alt-normie albums of all time, abut do you really think the mainstream public would let jazz rap chart high in 2015? nah.

no, it wasn't. Alright, I, and King Kunta fell off within a couple months. Meanwhile Humble, DNA, Love, and Element are still doing well. It's crazy the difference in popularity between these two records

>Alright, I, and King Kunta fell off within a couple months.
But they and the album still had monteray and chart success.
Also in none of my posts was I trying to compare it to DAMN. Damn being more successful doesn't make TPAB not successful.

Now compare TBAP to 2014 Forest Hill Drives and If you're Read this it's Too Late. TPAB was musically astute and excellent, but commercially anemic.

If You're Reading This were pretty good though. J. Cole doesnt hold up that well (GOMD was the best track on that one) but that was definitely Drake's peak right there as a rapper.

TPAB had more varied production sure but there were definite mainstream quality bangers like King Kunta, Hood Politics, Alright.

Nigga I'm talking about the numbers. That year, Kendrick almost fell off. Drake and Cole were blowing him out.

>album was commercially anemic
>it went platinum
what a fucking retard

Platinum isn't impressive anymore. Kids from soundcloud go platinum.

This dick ain't free was popular when Tpab came out, maxo kream mentioned it