/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Korean_vocabulary
movehub.com/sites/default/files/main_images/second-languages-map-1350px.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC IMAGE GUIDES/WALKTHROUGHS:

>Arabic
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png

>Farsi
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png

>Finnish
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png

>French
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png

>German
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png

>Japanese
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png

>Mandarin (traditional characters)
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png

>Russian
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png

>Spanish
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png

>Swedish
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png

>Turkish
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg

>someone messaged me in farsi after I posted "good afternoon"
I am not prepared for this lads. Good afternoon is one of the only phrases I know

Where did you post "good morning"?

Anyway, you can always try explaining in broken Farsi that you just started learning and don't know much yet. Either way, it's not like it's a bad thing for someone to be communicating with you in such a fashion.

There's a weekly thread on r/languagelearning where people just post whatever they want in their target language. Yeah I know it's not a bad thing for them to answer in farsi but I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Don't talk to Africans.

lel

>Good afternon, how are you? [Distant friend?] I want to learn Farsi. I'm from south Africa, but live in the Netherlands. I'm a student at the "Saxion" school. How about you?

Was that you? I was able to figure it out and sent a reply.

Nope, just translated what I could in case you didn't figure it out.

There are 2 Dutch people learning Farsi? Wew

Well, techincally he's not dutch but south-african :^)

Is Russian worth learning? Which non-European language makes the most sense?

Russian's generally worth it for either their classic (and some modern) literature or various technical literature. Or if you want to talk with Russians, though I don't know why you would want that. You could probably use it to get around in the various post-Soviet countries too, though there's a moderate chance that they'll dislike/beat you up in some places.

Makes the most sense how. As in easy to learn? Practical use? Then again, practical use is an imprecise term too. It depends on what you want really.

not really interested in literature or culture, practical use like business-wise, or by which countries will be more relevant in the next decades

I want to learn norsk, but I'm getting discouragement from people saying it's worthless since most Scandinavians can easily learn fluent English.

If you really want to, just go for it.

People will always speak English if you go to a big city. That doesn't mean shit. Learn the language anyway.

>start in 2010 learning Russian
>devote very little time to this, maybe less than 24 hours total
>already mastered alphabet and accent, but not fully fluent
I've decided to try doing an hour of aloud reading practice every day again. Is that enough to finish on time for 2018-2019, when I have to move to Russia?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to start Duolingo or something else for grammar tips and vocab.

>russian
>non european
i think you got something wrong
also why are you looking for a noneuro language?if you intent to travel just go for skandi nations and the dutch since their languages are close to our.

I recomend devoting a little more time to practice.
I startet like 3 weeks ago and have the about the same progress but the vocabulary is very extensive and another year until you have to move sounds like a lot of time but time flies.

bump

Does anyone know some good sites to get books in less common languages in Europe? (ie languages that aren't the book's original language or the language/language of your country/english)

are there any anki deck makers? the natural ui is shitty. i need audio, examples, etc.

Going to try a Spanish movie right now. Probably too early to try one and understand much of anything but I'm tired today and hope it will just give me a feeling for the language. Plus Sup Forums said it was a good movie and I've been collecting Spanish movies in my Plex for when I get better

looks interesting, i might watch it later today. are you watching with spanish or english subs?

English. I've only been trying to learn for a month. So far 99% goes over my head but I'm catching words and phrases here and there.

Good movie so far though.

How much Korean vocabulary is recognizably Mandarin? (e.g. 빙산/冰山)

What do you want to know?

That's an argentinian movie, so their accent may sound pretty strange to what you're used to.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Korean_vocabulary
>Sino-Korean words today make up about 60% of the Korean vocabulary,[1] though in actual speech (especially informally) native words are vastly more common.[2]
though that's just from chinese in general it looks.

>That's an argentinian movie, so their accent may sound pretty strange to what you're used to.
[shhhh intensifies]

bump

>more relevant in the next decades

Learning Russian is pointless then.

Thanks. Yeah far too advanced for me to understand. Another few months I'll try some parts again and see if I understand more.

I want to make a polyglotclub account
What should my username be

monogolt4lyfe

But i am semi biglot

Biglots over the language barrier racing

Ok I've figured out the best way to type russian on mac.

On your second screen open texteditor and set the keyboard to russian. Now when you answer on screen 1 it is in English, when you want Russian type into screen 2 and copy it over.

Learning Norwegian means you can consume their media without subtitles too.

That's for Chinese in general. Not all of it is recognizably Mandarin due to sound changes. 여자 (yeoja) is not phonetically recognizable as Mandarin 女子 (nǚzǐ). Who cares though? Such an odd question.

bump

do Bulg*rians learn Russian in school?

It's optional, in grade 5 you can choose Russian, German, and some other languages (I think French and Spanish?) and study them for 3 years, but usually people choose either Russian, because it's easy, or German. Then in grade 9, you can choose one of those languages again and study it for another 4 years.

what did you pick?

Russian in grade 5, Spanish in grade 9. Ended up learning Russian rather well back then, but now I can just read and understand it since I didn't have any uses for it and forgot all the autismal grammar. Didn't learn when it comes to Spanish since we had only 2 classes a week and the teacher was pretty bad.

>implying Bulgarian verbs aren't the definition of autism

They're pretty simple, really. I mean, Russian isn't much different in that exact regard, but then you have the fucking cases and shit.

How many Persian learners do we have here?

We should form some kind of group where we can chat outside of Sup Forums.

I've been interested but haven't started at all

Getting started is the hardest part. Once you learn the really simple grammar, it's as easy as learning a handful of new vocabulary every day.

Seriously, as a Spanish speaker you should have no problems transitioning to Persian grammar.

Amazing movie, but yeah I agree with the argentine, they have a different dialect. Yo (Djo) -> Yo (Sho) for example

Yeah, I'll have to watch it again in six months or so and gauge my progress. I'm collecting a bunch of Spanish movies for that.

I recommend:
Nueve reinas
Relatos salvajes
La isla mínima
Blancanieves (silent movie)
The skin I live in

Thank you. I'll snatch those now!

There's also a Spanish movie I saw recently, called Cannibal/Canibal. It's incredibly slow and boring, but since it has little dialogue it may be something nice to watch as a beginner. It also shows a different side of Spain I think.

Just don't expect something exciting.

The other ones I listed are quite enjoyable.

>Blancanieves (silent movie)
>(silent movie)

What?

Thank you, grabbed this one also.

A silent movie might not help language very much.

I'm down, a telegram group would probably be the best option.

Learning the language may not be the only reason you watch a movie

>Going to try a Spanish movie right now. Probably too early to try one and understand much of anything but I'm tired today and hope it will just give me a feeling for the language.
He literly said hes doing it for language lol

He also mentioned Sup Forums so I supposed he likes movies, what's the harm in recommending something when I'm explicitly warning that it's silent so he can avoid it if he's not interested.
Jesus christ.

bump

Original movie watching user here. I appreciate the suggestions and grabbed them all. I did chuckle a bit with the silent movie rec but yeah, I like movies so no harm sliding one not for language in there.

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO PRACTICE LISTENING IF IM HOH

hey look what i found
movehub.com/sites/default/files/main_images/second-languages-map-1350px.jpg
>2014

Icelandic bc even English doesn't have special fancy letters for voiced and unvoiced th. also it's white and Norse as fuck

What did he mean by this

im hard of hearing

How bad is it? What kind of things can you listen to normally?

I don't know why English dropped those two letters, they suited perfectly.

Printing press.

well when speaking face to face I often get muddled up on the other persons words so I have to ask them to repeat themselves frequently, it gets worse if theres background noise or multiple people talking. For movies and tv shows I pretty much require subtitles otherwise I focus too hard on trying to follow the words and lose track of the plot. These are multiplied tenfold in a foreign language

Hm that is kind of tough. You could try to find some language learning programs that focus on talking/listening without giving the exercises too much of a 'plot'. Do you have a hearing aid and does it help at all?

Try sign language

I dont have a hearing aid because the problems not really in my ears, its in my brain and it just affects my speech processing, I'll try and track down something like youve suggested though thanks
online Australian sign language resources are hard enough to find, let alone german or japanese sign language

Man that sucks, best of luck to you.

thanks man

bump

getting into the habit of procrastinating again
not good

neat. pretty fun chart

Do you guys split your study decks? Like into grammar and vocab or maybe as you get more advanced stop studying the really early stuff and only do intermediate and advanced?

Yeah I thought I'd have been more productive this weekend. Doing fairly well today, yesterday wasn't so good. Quitting caffeine probably didn't help.

I have a conjugation deck where I write down with a pen the correct conjugation of the verb shown. Then I have a regular 5k word vocab deck i'm working through.

Thanks.

If all goes to plan I will be moving to Poland or Ukraine in within couple of years. I probably won't know which one for at least a year yet but I want to get a head start on learning one of the languages now.

I know that they share a lot of similarities so learning one will be useful even if I decide to move to the other country. Which one should I dive into?

Weird and probably difficult to answer question, apologies. Ignore the flag, I'm English.

Tbh the difficulty of the languages are fairly similar, Polish has many more resources though. As an English person for the time being it's still easier to move to Poland because of the EU but Poland is a little more expensive than Ukraine but for the most part both will give you a good bang for your buck.
Do you have any concrete questions?
t. speak Polish and learned Ukrainian a bit

Polish and Ukrainian aren't that similar. Also the two countries kinda hate each other, so it won't be that easy to get by with Polish in Ukraine and the other way around, though Poland does have a lot of Ukrainians since the 2014 conflict.

Many ukrainians speak polish while few poles speak ukrainian, more resources, less of a shithole, easier to emigrate to

I'd go for polish, but I might be biased.
Seems to me like only eastern poland hates khokhols, the rest of poland and majority of ukraine seems indifferent. Went there a couple of times and had no trouble getting by with polish only, but then again it was pretty close to the border.

I have a notebook where I write down grammar notes in one half and phrases in another. Then I have flash cards with vocab on them.

Wasnt many Ukrainian territory Polish in the past anyway? Pre ww2

Thanks. Yeah my physical notecard collection is pretty large now in addition to the digital one.

I've studied a decent bit of Norwegian on Duolingo. I don't know enough for it to be useful but it's a pretty easy one as a native English speaker. You should go for it.