Redpill me on amps

Redpill me on amps

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mUBvmh3SzN0
youtube.com/watch?v=yRWp8FEVNmM
youtube.com/watch?v=th8XpPZoUA0
youtube.com/watch?v=az_2oiccZNo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Smaller amps sound louder in a small room than bigger amps. Dont ask me why but that is the classic red pill of amps.

Orange is undoubtedly the best but generally amps are simply not worth the time or the effort (for a bedroom project, anyway). You could just get a small audio interface and download some amp modelling software + some effect VSTs and use your computer.

Is that because you end up just turning down the volume on big amps if you're playing small rooms?

What do you think of the tiny terror? Also solid state vs tube amps?

Its better to use a combo of keyboard and bass amp. But monitors are way better, but the set up is super expensive: laptop, audio interface, and monitors.

The Fender Twin Reverb is the greatest and most versatile amp ever sold

literally nothing in this post is correct lmao

VSTs are cool for playing with effects, but for a guitar focused project impulse responses will hardly achieve a satisfying sound imo. Then again I've only used older pay software like Revalver and newer free-sts, so maybe it's gotten better now. Still the latency when listening to realtime playback through an interface always seems just slightly off to me.

My advice: don't get a tube amp unless you live on your own and/or play with a band already. You don't NEED a specific amp to play any kind of music, I play metal on a Super Reverb for instance.

No, I know that much isn't true. Although I suppose that could possibly negate the red pill I don't know. But that really is a classic red pill on amps. And I dont remember maybe it was "fuller" not louder. I'm going back many years but I heard that numerous times.

hwat

w-what?

I accidentally replied to myself but I swear that is the ultimate classic red pill on amps. If you're in a practice space in particular, bigger is not necessarily better.

Also I think it may have been specifically for practicing alone or certainly without a drummer. Otherwise for full band practice you will need a bigger amp.

>What do you think of the tiny terror?
I knew a guy who had one and it was pretty much just OK. Only a little impressive considering its size, but way overpriced for what it is.
>Also solid state vs tube amps?
Tubes whenever possible.
Solid state amps tend to sound scratchy and flat with higher frequencies being physically painful to listen to.

what's your budget anyway?

I bought a JC-120 and it's been sitting in the corner of my room for almost a year now taking up space reminding me that I'm a piece of shit.
Yeah, it sounds great. But no amp will make you a better guitar player. I wish I had just stuck with my pirated version of ableton and guitarpro/
hit the nail on the head, although I've never used an orange amp

yeah it is that. amps sound "big" because of natural compression/breakup at higher levels. when you're playing quietly they tend to sound thin, and with gain at low volumes it's like they're being physically restrained and you can actually hear it aching to go louder. with a less powerful amp you don't need to go absurdly loud to get that, they're a better choice for using at home.

t. former 50 watt marshall owner who recently bought a 7 watt bassbreaker

cheers
undecided
yeah thought so

well... and what kinda music you wanna play? would you rather have an amp with great clean sound, great distortion or great versatility as the main feature?

>VSTs are cool for playing with effects, but for a guitar focused project impulse responses will hardly achieve a satisfying sound imo.
Well, yeah. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the whole "interface + software" approach for a full-blown shoegaze project or whatever, but for your typical indie pop bedroom thing, it's fine.
>Still the latency when listening to realtime playback through an interface always seems just slightly off to me.
To me, the latency issue isn't really that big a deal. Yes, you will need a pretty beefed up computer to minimize latency but some interfaces have a physical direct monitoring switch, which should help a lot during recording. Usually the latency is pretty negligible and isn't too bad unless you're playing into like a Chromebook or something (which I've actually seen done, unfortunately.)
>My advice: don't get a tube amp unless you live on your own and/or play with a band already. You don't NEED a specific amp to play any kind of music, I play metal on a Super Reverb for instance.
This. The only people who need full amps + pedalboards are legit enthusiasts, really.

It's true and you know it is. Technology has evolved wildly since 2006.

Thank you for your input.

No problem. Honestly, if you're going for a tiny practice amp, I'd highly recommend one of those cheap digital amps with the software effects built in, like one of the Blackstar ID:Core models. They're not necessarily the best thing ever but as long as you stay away from the crunch/fuzz distortion effects, the other effects actually sound quite nice and it's pretty easy to use. Generally good for beginners and a lot cheaper than the Tiny Terror.

I agree with this. Its so fucking loud though and heavy but yup best amp ever owned clear as a bell and had personality unlike a JC120 which is my second favorite.

>literally nothing in this post is correct lmao
Fun fact: very few of Kevin Shields' physical pedals were featured in Loveless; that album was made almost entirely with software.

>software
If by that you mean a multi effects processor?

The redpill is that the tone guys are correct and tube amps are worth it

SS amps today are sounding just as good as Tubes, not to mention the way they are built are far more reliable. I myself own a few tube amps, however when I get the money, I will be investing in a digital processor.

Don't be afraid to check out a good clean SS and then use a tube distortion pedal. Works a treat. Don't believe the audio woo.

Shitty SS amps made today sounf as good as more expensive to produce shitty by design tube amps made today correct, but a 70s twin reverb will never be emulated. Put down the crack pipe.

except when SS and digital processors emulate not just 1 of your over priced (and yes better than a lot of todays sub standard re-creations) amps, but all of them and literally sound the same. There isn't a difference at all.

There was a time when SS didn't sound the same - now that is no longer a thing.

Dude shut up. Just use a computer if youre this retarded. Why are you paying for software to being bundled in with an overpriced speaker if you believe this bullshit? Use a computer and a PA system. Its about having a good sound that cuts through the mix. You most likely play in your bedreoom and just dont get it which i sincerly say to you use a computer instead of paying for dinosaur technology. If you want a real muscle car you buy a twin reverb. Why ould you need more than one amp? They are not effects units you dumbo. Amps that emulate other amps distorting wow what a concept. When you develop technique you dont seek crunch tones to smooth over your tone. You use a clean tone to bring out the nuances.

Solid state =/= digital

You wont have problems with latency unless you are using a shit ton of samples and vsts. Since you are using a guitar and pedals for your source, you will barely be using your cpu. The only effect on your laptop youd need are overdrive, amo simulator, and saturator.

2 words

BOGNER SHIVA

this thing with the matching cab sounds INCREDIBLE, it's like a recorded guitar tone coming out of a cab. not something that can be explained with words

>tfw can afford one but have other shit to buy like a car and holidays...

one day

what amp to get a bedroom guitar version of the 'in rainbows' radiohead guitar sound please

I'm pretty sold on the Orange Rocker 15 Terror. The "Headroom to Bedroom" switch is exactly what I'm looking for.

Only problem is I associate Orange with nu metal.

Line 6

>You wont have problems with latency unless you are using a shit ton of samples and vsts.
and even then, you could just freeze the other tracks and start recording

Do you think one could feasibly throw all their pedals out of the window and just use ALL of their effects on the laptop?

Yes but then you WILL need a badass computer and interface. Also youll probably end up wanting a midi controller so you can mess with the effects. Used guitar pedals are cheaper and honestly they can sound better.

here's a redpill for you, your speaker is MUCH more responsible for the sound you get out of an amp than most people realize. it's not uncommon that the actual piece of shit in an amp is the speaker instead of the head.

i own a tiny terror, it's a favorite of mine for its sound but honestly it's as barebones as an amp can be. if you need versatility you won't find shit in there.

While we're on the subject, how does one go about getting that grinding rumble sound I keep hearing in dirty rock music?
Some examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=mUBvmh3SzN0 (3:23)
youtube.com/watch?v=yRWp8FEVNmM (4:10)
youtube.com/watch?v=th8XpPZoUA0 (2:03)
youtube.com/watch?v=az_2oiccZNo (3:42)

Please excuse my newfaggotry.

cool, thanks

>solid state vs tube amps?

It depends on the sound you're looking for.

It's like asking Russian or American capacitors?

I need to know what you want.

So don't play nu metal on it

this is probably the only one you'll ever need

Orange is such a meme. Nice amps, but nothing special. Funny how when GC started carrying them a few years back they suddenly became da kewlest evar!

Tube for basically anything that you don't want 100% clean. Jazz is just about the only common genre for which SS is outright superior. There are some SS amps that break up nicely or take pedals well, but they are few and far between because of the stigma against SS making quality ones a hard sell for manufacturers.

No, it was actually made with few pedals or digital manipulation. Its really not too hard to get that sound if you have that kind of tremolo and a fuzz pedal. Dial in some different amp settings, layer it a few times and you're 95% there.

Not true, by far and large, tube amps sound vastly superior and by the time you buy a good SS amp and a $200 tube distortion pedal you could have just purchased a used tube amp that sounds better and has much better value retention.

setting the record straight

Buy a used bedroom level tube amp if you just play by yourself. If you play with a band, you basically want something with enough headroom(how loud the amp can get before breaking up) that it can be heard with the other instruments. Typically, this point is the drummer for most rock bands. If you can be heard well while playing with a typical drumkit, that lets you play clean without being drowned out. If you are playing in some kind of other group, you may want less headroom to get some overdrive at lower volumes.

>SS amps today are sounding just as good as Tubes
Only if they're American/UK/Canada made. Most Chinese SS amps are trash that fuck up fast.

Orange are meme amps

It wasn't done with software convolution plug ins in a DAW, it was produced with top notch rack delay/reverb units with custom chips.

And by custom chips, I mean chips purpose designed by the effect manufacturer, not chips that shields custom made.

Most tube guitar amps are extremely similar.
Spearkers play a huge role in how you sound and most people fail to upgrade or customize them.

am i pleb for liking marshall? i really want a jcm800 but its usually over a grand which out of my budget atm

No. Plexis are rad. Some of the budget marshalls are pretty solid.

i was looking into DSL, any recs?