/daily/ - 80s Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

Previously, on /daily/: >78489682

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/EmptyVessel/favorite-releases-1950-to-2018/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wendy_carlos/beauty_in_the_beast/
youtube.com/watch?v=NbRyV6vmixw
discord.gg/y9Tm9sE
discogs.com/Rabin-Lal-Shrestha-Kiran-Murti-Inde-Tablas-India/release/9669265
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/roots_of_rumba_rock__congo_classics_1953_1955/
rateyourmusic.com/~schumacher
youtube.com/watch?v=nPA91IV7_Cc
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/tyvek/summer-burns/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gal-costa/legal/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/colette_magny/thanakan/
reddit.com/r/videos/comments/82wh1x/im_on_smoko_so_leave_me_alone/
youtube.com/watch?v=Yxv0NdEXGIQ
youtu.be/2V2abwkiRvk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/a_wilhelm_scream/partycrasher/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luciano-cilio/dialoghi-del-presente-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/fka-twigs/ep2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bill-evans-jim-hall/intermodulation/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Previously, on /daily/:

4 the zyob

careful when posting!

to make more activity in the threads i'm going to post more instead of mostly just lurking.

and to make a discussion, someone rec me an underappreciated/obscure/underrated etc 80s album you like and i'll listen to it right now and come back with thoughts.

Human Sexual Response - In a Roman Mood

have heard that, it's a solid one!

fav artist pics?

>we made it through a full thread
so proud wow

Made some adjustments to this list:
rateyourmusic.com/list/EmptyVessel/favorite-releases-1950-to-2018/

the additions of "ratings by year" is really just for my use so I can browse my ratings by year without entering the dumbass rym url every time I want to see what I rated in a certain year

also rec me some early-50s, albums, EPs, or compilations jesus christ. I've only heard one thing from 1951 lmao

Is that Takahashi?

wb Begnagrad? I'm p sure u would have heard that but still
otherwise, the album above u is underappreciated in some circles
maybe this rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wendy_carlos/beauty_in_the_beast/
thats all i got

Mikey Dread - WWIII?

>favorite artist pic

yeah

begnagrad has been on my wishlist for ever but i have actually never heard. going to download right now!

who are these dudes?

I was not sure if it was him, he looks different, might be the lighting.
Great guy, lately I've been listening to Beatniks a lot.
youtube.com/watch?v=NbRyV6vmixw

6ix9ine - DAY69 (2018)
>trap rap, east coast hip hop

"93" is a decent enough track, mainly because it's the only track where 6ix9ine isn't absolutely aggravating to listen to. I'm glad that I now have a legitimate reason to back up my hate for 6ix9ine, because this is one of the shittiest trap releases I've heard in quite some time. The beats are really elementary and not all that good, and 6ix9ine's vocal performances amount to little more than slightly rhythmic screaming. I've heard a lot of bad trap/soundcloud rap lately, and this is the worst of the bunch. I'll take 17 over this.

Cute Heels - State of Mind (2018)
>industrial techno

Pretty cool techno. It sounds a lot like machinery, which is what all good industrial techno should sound like. There's not much difference between the tracks, and the electro/acid influences never really work out the way the producer wants them too, but this is mostly enjoyable.

Ravyn Lenae - Crush (2018)
>neo-soul

Smooth as hell neo-soul with great vocals and a decidedly retro atmosphere. The EP format doesn't give Lenae (and producer Lacy) proper time to really flesh these songs out, but the building blocks are there for a really killer full-length that I am now greatly anticipating. "Sticky" is an absolute jam.

2.5+

ooh i'm down!

(noveltycondom)
Tuxedomoon - Desire

(woolite)
The Russian Orthodox Church underwent a lot of reforms because it became so unbelievably convoluted and ridiculous. In fact, many of the modern Slavic languages exist because regional variants of Church Slavonic had become too obtuse for any practical usage. A lot of these reforms happened because one particular Patriarch thought the Greeks were the proper Orthodox and thus killed a lot of the uniquely Russian traditions in an attempt to keep in step with them; those that refused to change are "Old Believers"/starovyery, they generally live in very isolated parts of Siberia, though there's a handful of them living in Alaska too, remnants from when it was the most isolated part of the Empire.

kooot

>6ix9ine's vocal performances amount to little more than slightly rhythmic screaming
that's the appeal

Autechre

back off, punk

d-dd-dddd-dd PAH PAH PAH

powerful gran

when you defeat all the other free improvisers, this is the final boss

>Begnagrad - Begnagrad (1982)
>avant prog, prog folk, slavic folk music, jazz rock

absolutely mad jazzy avant-prog blended with joyful traditional slavic folk music. it's as eclectic as you'd except from an avant-prog release but something very unique to it is the feeling of a bar full of bearded and mustachioed slovenian men downing countless mugs of beer and yelling out classic drinking songs as they swim around in each other's spit and body sweat after a hard days work. the blending of this traditional slavic sound and feeling with a sound as western as this really rocky version of avant-prog is interesting too. it feels like a kind of destruction of those old values in exchange for the wild unifying circus music of emotionally lighter avant-prog. mentioning the impressive instrumental ability of prog bands is a pretty unnecessary thing to do because of course they're exceptional at their instruments but i really have to commend their ability to create both such engaging and layered havoc and amorphous folk passages seconds apart from each other so naturally. absolutely one of the most accomplished albums of this style period i'd say. especially immpressive even to a seasoned avant prog nut like myself.

Where is my pipe?
GARFIELD!

*gulp* Okay. How?

I gotta have a good meal

Is anybody else here in the lasagna cat sex survey video?

one of my friends was.
"joe cella, 1, it was a couch"

we should just make a chart of D2D stuff neither of us have heard, but I'd be willing to relisten to stuff if need be

rick owens looks great

Let's see how many of you are banned from here
',:^)
discord.gg/y9Tm9sE

I'm working on it

>already banned for not thinking pepe is funny in 2018
beautiful

I joined and don't know what's going on
people are just making bad half jokes and some guy is telling me to talk

i opened it and then i got banned

yeah this server sucks
i really can't stand discord culture

Tin Drum and Gentlemen Take Polaroids are art pop masterpieces.

woops!

so you don't wanna be a part of the secret /daily/ discord where we talk about avant-garde music, japanese cinema and post-modern philosophy?

no

sucks 4 u, you're stuck with captcha and jangle then

Anyone wanna add an album to rym so I can rate it

yeah I think I'll fucking pass thanks

sure why not
"not good"

agreed :- )

dope, it's this
discogs.com/Rabin-Lal-Shrestha-Kiran-Murti-Inde-Tablas-India/release/9669265

>rec me some early-50s, albums, EPs, or compilations
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/roots_of_rumba_rock__congo_classics_1953_1955/

oh we dead already bois

who the hell would want to be apart of that lol

Me. I love my /daily/ friends and I wish I could be their friends but instead I continue to sit here without a trip and play out friendly fantasies between them all in my head...

Somebody do fanart of all the daily-ers

fish/jangle fan fic when

Awesome, thanks for the response man! Didn’t know any of this, cool to hear that’s how a lot of Slavic languages came about. Gonna have to look more into starovyery, especially since I might go to Alaska this summer lol. Didn’t even think about people fleeing there back in the day

flib flob XDDDDD

I accidentally dumped this image here because i was so ashamed of making it nice

/daily/ is lacking on the European front not gonna lie

State Symphony Orchestra / Byung-Hwa Kim: My Land, My People!; Exemplum in memoriam Kwangju (1988)

Euro-daily revival is now

Still working through Shostakovich and Mahler symphonies and Beethoven string quartets.
Anyone have some fun post 2010 hip hop to change it up? Maybe some uk bass stuff idk

Skream - Face Down In The Water

I'm holding a tourney!
The one restriction is that the release you submit must be less than 35 minutes long.
I'm gonna try to get through this as fast as I can.

rateyourmusic.com/~schumacher

with their long
range
guns

2011 :/ youtube.com/watch?v=nPA91IV7_Cc

you don't seem like much of a garage punk guy, but give this a shot:
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/tyvek/summer-burns/

Get dogwander on the phone

I was wondering what could possibly have been the context for someone creating that

>Various Artists - Fuerza Ingobernable Punk Colombia (2017)
This compilation collects fourteen 2017 punk songs from Colombia. As is the case with most punk produced outside the U.S., these guys seem to have gotten stuck recreating the sounds of now outmoded hardcore acts. They have so much energy though that it hardly matters. I doubt the physical release has any relevant info, but I’d be very interested to hear the musicology behind the sound found here.

And I bet every band here would be awesome to see live. There’s such great energy throughout the comp.
>6/10

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gal-costa/legal/

Anyone have any scans of some good scene zines? I've been really getting into them lately after I ordered a few from some nyc punks

One of them somehow had an interview with Mark Winter too, which was a treat. It was back in 2015 though, so it must've been before NWI went on lockdown

and @nat, I kinda want to make one for ithaca

Have some Artaud spoken word
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/colette_magny/thanakan/

Also, The Chats just hit the front page of reddit. If you haven't heard the EP yet, would rec. it's legit good fun music and I'm surprised to see the recognition especially in the comments, even if the video is a bit of a meme

reddit.com/r/videos/comments/82wh1x/im_on_smoko_so_leave_me_alone/

u.s. tour when

Check out Smoke Signal, the zine from Desert Island Comics if it makes it up there. I'm in this new one. I can't share the art yet.

sometimes i listen to a song so often that hearing it again makes me feel nauseous

The chats are great! What's your favourite track from them thus far?

Hope that you're enjoying your day Schumacher! Try the following release if you haven't already;

youtube.com/watch?v=Yxv0NdEXGIQ

I'll admit that I don't know much of what you like and Rym is down so sorry if you don't like it. Best of days!

would you accept a 39 minute release? for me? ;)

youtu.be/2V2abwkiRvk

Thanks!

Sorry, rules are rules
I don't make em I'm just following orders

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/a_wilhelm_scream/partycrasher/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luciano-cilio/dialoghi-del-presente-1/

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Thanks!

Sorry, I've heard this one before

At the Drive-In - Vaya

fine then, guess you don't want to listen to the greatest Jazz/folk fusion record of the 70s.
David Bowie - No Plan EP

sorry sorry i've heard this one

thank you!

we're halfway filled up at this point counting crunch!

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/fka-twigs/ep2/

Van Dyke Parks - song cycle
If heard it
Melt-banana - Bambi’s dilemma

I’ve got the Cometbus book, tons of zines, and live by IPRC. Want some iPhone pics of some stuff?

Melt Banana it is!

feel bad for how much i'm saying this but i've heard this one

Tuxedomoon - No Tears

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bill-evans-jim-hall/intermodulation/