Why was this scene more memorable than anything in TFA?

Why was this scene more memorable than anything in TFA?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FHuD5y-PZM0
youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because its what the entire prequel trilogy was building up to

honestly the D&D monsters on the falcon were more memorable than that shit

Because lava and the two main character fight each other
TFA duel was better tho

because the scene still hasn't ended

red hot lava

haha. no it wasn't.

I think I am legit autistic because I can't stop crying or maybe it's just the alcohol why did this have to happen

Yeah it was memorably shitty, over-choreographed and too long for its own good. Sorry but only you and your fellow mongoloids from /r/movies remember it fondly. You can shit your pants and bitch about the prequels being good all you want, it will never change what they are and how they ruined star wars.

You should be shot

>TFA [anything] was better

Reddit.

I disagree with this. I loved this fight, and I loved this movie. I went to see it with a bunch of my friends in theaters for my 11th birthday, and it was wonderful.

I admit that it is not a good movie, but fuck, the nostalgia, the memories it evokes, and the phenomenal soundtrack makes it one of my favorite movies of all time. I am certain that people like like my little brother, who were kids when TFA came out, will feel the same way about that shitshow. Movies are as much about how they make us feel as they are about anything. Even the original Star Wars movies were objectively mediocre from a storytelling standpoint, but that doesn't matter, what matters is how they made the audience feel.

My favorite part of the fight is right before this when Anakin just punches Obi in the face and marches towards him with that glare
I know saying this will get me called an RLM parrot but I legitimately think it would have been better if it had been shorter and more brutal like that, didn't need all the balance beam, rope swing, spinning bullshit

Because it took up 1/3rd of the actual movie.

Scene? It was like half the fucking movie. And like 90% of it was forgettable. The only memorable bits are the beginning and end of it, everything in the middle was just dumb and pointless.

>I was 11 when I saw it

Thats all I need to see to dismiss every one of your arguments. You enjoy it because it reminds you of the good days in your life.

It had the high ground

I 100% agree. The entire fight should have been relatively short and absolutely brutal. Obi-Wan should have limped away from it with a broken arm and a sprained angle.

The moments when Anakin vs Obi-Wan really hit its peak were the moments where they truly seemed to hate one another and when Williams' soundtrack really hit its peak. This includes:

>Obi-Wan trying to slice his saber through Anakin's spine early in the fight (incredibly vicious for such a "perfect Jedi")
>Anakin just punching Obi-Wan (like you said)
>The two of them wrestling with one another

And even the part where they're on the lava platforms staring each other down. I know the dialogue is cringy as shit ("from my pov, the jedi are evil"), but if they had just shut their fucking mouths it would have been flawless. That sequence takes place at this point in the song, and it is one of the best bits of music that Williams has composed in all 6 movies. It starts here, at 1:54

>trying this hard to fit in
go back

The kickass music

can't remember a single track from TFA

>I disagree with this. I loved this fight, and I loved this movie.
This debate isn't about your feelings, it's about the abysmal quality of the script and the scene itself. The CGI was an affront, the fight was two faggots prancing around showing their glosticks to each other and it had no emotional impact because there were no characters there.
It's like a black hole of cinema.

You're right, user. You are absolutely, 100% user. I love this mediocre movie because it reminds me of my childhood, of feeling that sense of awe when I saw the ships flying through space, of Sarah burying her head in my chest when Anakin burned to death and screamed. But you know what? I think most Star Wars fans feel the same way.

Even at its very best, Star Wars was never anything more than a well-executed Flash Gordon homage with a little Star Trek, Seven Samurai, and even a few Rocky elements thrown in. It's just silly, goofy, space fantasy shit, and we love it because it reminds of of the good days. The only Star Wars movie that is an objectively good movie is Episode V. Everything else is just fun dumb action crap from start to finish, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

No, this debate is about the feelings of the audience. All that matters in a movie is how it made the audience feel and how it stuck in the audiences' memories. That's why my father, myself, and my little brother all love Star Wars, but why very few people remember cinematic masterpieces like Citizen Kane or Casablance (which I personally don't like all that much). Movies are meant to entertain, to make the audience feel.

I don't care about its cinematic/storytelling merit, what matters is how I feel about it. This isn't a fucking mathematics problem or scientific debate, it is a form of entertainment.

*you are absolutely, 100% right

Also, I forgot to include the link I wanted to post.

youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ

>No, this debate is about the feelings of the audience. All that matters in a movie is how it made the audience feel
>If we propose some ginourmusly stupid shit, any movie can be great cuz it maded me feel things!
What a fucking jackass, neck yourself.

That's not how the force works was a pretty memorable line, even if it's not a great one.

This is just the way I think about it. If a book or movie is an objectively well-written work, but I feel nothing, what on earth is the point? Scientific papers are often brilliantly written, but I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about the opinions of my classmates or professors about the factors that create international institutions, the finer points of calculus, or the design of medieval Arabic cities. I do not give a shit.

You know what I give a shit about? This Star Wars crap, which is so rarely any good but makes me feel alive. You can take your stupid fucking "kino" and goofy shit made by french directors 200 years ago, lube it up real nice, and shove it up your ass.

>This is just the way I think about it.
This isn't your personal blog, go pester your parents about it.

This fight is legitimately good. Sure it's showy, but anymore showy than any other Hollywood sword fight? Also the actors did 99% of it themselves, no speeding up or anything, it's an incredibly impressive display if only for that.

This is a board for discussing movies and tv, isn't it? And OP's thread is about what makes a movie "memorable". Surely how movies make us feel is relevant to the conversation.

There is something that makes the Anakin-Obi Wan fight in Ep III more memorable to me, OP, and many other people than anything in TFA. I think it's worth trying to figure out what that thing is.

>Also the actors did 99% of it themselves, no speeding up or anything, it's an incredibly impressive display if only for that.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I watched the behind the scenes crap, and McGregor/Christensen spent about 3 months preparing for this fight. Christensen bulked up and lifted a lot (he's a fairly slim man normally), they both spent a ton of time working on fight choreography, acrobatics, etc. . It's very impressive.

It's a shame they'll never get full recognition for it because of how mediocre the movie was as a whole, but I doubt they care. After all, they both got paid millions of dollars (or "pounds" as people in McGregor's native country call money) for it.

I remember hearing rumors at the time that some of the footage was sped up. That's how fast they were moving.

it's called being a retard

If you don't want to talk about movies and how certain aspects of those movies can evoke feelings in audiences, then why the fuck are you even here?

eat shit autist

>it's 2017
>prequel defenders are STILL mad

John Williams and his awesome music are one of the reasons that Star Wars was so amazing.

Imagine the duel being set to Benny Hill.

youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Literally anything looks like a joke set to the Yakity Sax.

Yeah, but you get his point, don't you? The only saving grace of the prequels is often the unbelievably good music made by John Williams. If you take that music and replace it with generic Hans Zimmer shit, the movie takes a massive nosedive in quality.

The OT was like that too, although to a lesser degree. John Williams has always been a huge contributor to the enjoyment of Star Wars.

man the prequels in general have some of the best and most detailed behind the scenes I've ever seen. The 1 hour doc on everything that went into making just a minute of a Mustufar duel made me appreciate them a lot more.

Absolutely. I was just thinking about this the other day. So many of the most iconic scenes of the OT are very mediocre with alternate music. Even the very best, like the TIE fighter attack in Ep IV, the Asteroid Chase, Luke vs Vader, the Battle of Hoth, "How could the be jamming us if they don't know....we'e coming?"

It just made me even more upset that the rest of the movie fell short. I felt like all the hard work of these artists and consultants was ultimately for nothing because Lucas failed to create a good story to go with it.

I have the Art of Rogue One book, which is very interesting as well. Gareth Edwards was heavily involved in the pre production like Lucas, they went through about 1000 designs for just the U Wing. While Rogue One is flawed, it's pretty easy to see that JJ didn't put nearly as much effort into the design process as Lucas or even Edwards.

I didn't bother with Rogue One because I was so disappointed by Episode 7, but I might check it out. Abrams isn't involved in any way, right?

That's the way it often works with the OT, too.

>Go to see new Nolan.kino TDKR
>It's about a big guy, hyped as fuck
>Bruce is talking to Talia by the fireplace
>They're staring at the portrait of Rachel Dawes
>"She was my ... my twin sister."

This kind of absolutely ridiculous plotting would be considered representative of "muh lukas writing" were it in the PT. It would destroy suspension of disbelief for any adult watching ...
But it's exactly what's taken for granted in the OT. No-one *thinks* they're under the spell of nostalgia.

No, not at all. However the Disney/Lucasfilm story group still has a great influence, and it shows in some pretty obvious fan service. Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than TFA, but it's still pretty forgettable. If you like space battles, then it's worth it.

didnt care about rouge one either, but folks over hype it as if it where the next ultimate shit.

>Movies are as much about how they make us feel as they are about anything

Make me think of Order 66 and the music that plays, the yelp of the creature as it and Obi Wan fall, transitioning into the chorus or music of the scene, as the Jedi are shown to eliminated slowly, one by one, is memorable, and instantly starts to make me tear up

Not even Han Solos death in Episode 7 can do that for me, mostly because TFA lacks geniune music with soul and passion in it. Much like the movie itself lacks much passion due to being a retelling of an older movie with a few new twists.

But damn the Order 66 scene, the fucking feels, the music and tone is so perfect there, I will tear up everytime I watch it again.

say what you will about Clone Wars, but it retroactively makes Order 66 even more heartbreaking

Boy you sure showed him, fucking moron.

That it does.

At least Clone Wars even tried to explain what Order 66 was, and did it in a masterful way that prevented it from being found out or otherwise thought suspicious before it happened.

It was the writers filling in the gaps from what Lucas left, and they did it so perfectly and in a way that made sense in the universe- chips embedded in the clones from birth.

Although now that I think about it, neither Clone Wars nor Rebels have good music either like TFA too.

A lot of what makes Star Wars memorable is the music, but when the music lacks that extra bit of passion and they just end up reusing old music a lot for the cartoons it feels lacking in a way.

I dont remember Clone Wars for its music, but everything else about it that made up for that I guess. Unlike TFA which had new music, even by John Williams, but it was lacking in passion and the movie itself was as forgettable as the music.

It was a good fight scene. It didn't need to be so long though. However, pure kino.

I love the TFA fight scene though. Was pretty kino in the dark snowy forest. I also appreciate the simplicity of it. The only thing that I don't like about it is Rey being able to physically be stronger while grappling with Kylo. I guess because he was weak, but just was silly watching her manhandle him.

>its over Anikan, I have the High Ground

What did he mean by this? Why is the high ground more powerful than the chosen one?

I respect your opinion despite not being a fan of the prequels. You are a cool guy.

that looks fucking terrible jesus christ

>"Anakin you're breaking my heart!"
>gif related
>Tarzan with lightsabers
>"From my point of view the Jedi are evil"
>"You can't win Anakin, I have the high ground"

You remember because it's punctuated with carefully assembled beats of pure shit that only a master like Lucas could concoct, and because they found their way into an official release of one of the world's biggest franchises.

even the chosen one had to spend 15 years learning all that skills

mary sue did that in 2 days

Because of their lightsaber forms. Obi-Wan's works better by giving ground and being more defensive whereas Anakin's is more offensive minded.

So Obi-Wan is able to make two swings, one for the legs and one for the left arm.

closing this thread coz of the absolute bender

These threads really make me think though

The horrendous writing is certainly memorable, but I would argue that it is also because it's a visually striking scene, and you have John Williams' incredible score in the background. It's the same thing with the finale of Phantom Menace.

KILL yourself

>I went to see it with a bunch of my friends in theaters for my 11th birthday, and it was wonderful.
This sentence perfectly encapsulates why people defend the prequels.

This can be said for the OT as well. I bet 90% of hardcore Star Wars fans are people who were first exposed to them as kids.

Prequel apologists should be gassed.

i'd lynch you first for being a contrarian

This is why Star Wars was a mistake.

>he defends prequels
>dares to call others contrarians
Kill youself

And neither have the feels

how am I a contrarian if I defend all star wars movies except for Rogue One which is complete shit and worst than the rest?