The memes are true. It was dishonest

The memes are true. It was dishonest

Bump

How? I feel like the trailer and all the promotional material presented it as exactly what it was, a simple, fun and not particularly deep musical love story.

You don't know what dishonest means in this context. That's not what it means

Dishonest is a terrible word for it, that's my point. It's just a type of film that Sup Forums doesn't like because a certain type of person does.

What's a better word then Damien?

This meme ain't catching on as much as you hoped?

Pretentious.

You should watch I, Daniel Blake.

Except it pretends to be simple and fun when in fact it is pretentious Oscar bait. That's why it's dishonest.

At least Birdman knew it was pretentious.

>it is pretentious Oscar bait

How? How does it pretend to be anything other than a simple love story in any of its promotional material>

>when in fact it is pretentious Oscar bait
How the hell was this movie pretentious? It's a very simple film.

This board is full of cucks and suckers. La la land is as pretntious as can get.

What's supposed to be dishonest about it ?

>La la land is as pretntious as can get
Answer the goddamn question. How is it pretentious?

>A simple love story.

Thats how you were fooled by its dishonesty.

Hello Damien
>musical
>member jazz?
>member white people jazz? fuck new nigger jazz
>I want a jazz club
>muh old Hollywood
The last one is pure Oscar bait by itself.

>doesn't know anything about jazz
>gets a lil mad and calls it pretentious
embarrassed for you

>Musicals, the most easily understandable genre in film is pretentious
>Jazz is pretentious, even though we know that Chazelle loves jazz looking at his previous work
>member white people jazz? fuck new nigger jazz
Dumb strawman, and this isn't even close to pretentious
>Sebastian wants a jazz club because he likes jazz and wants to keep it alive, explain how that is pretentious
>old Hollywood
This one I see a lot. Has it never crossed your mind that in the old Hollywood films were made with more care than nowadays? Chazelle obviously wants to do the same, and he succeeded and now you're mad about it.

>not knowing how hollywood is a sucker for musicals.
>Not knowing how they try to ""recreate""(or as tarantino calls it "steal") the great musicals of the golden age.
>Trying to turn LA as an imaginary ideal place (literally call it LALA land)
>Being this new that i have to explain it to you.

The only way this film would be more dishonest is if they had a hollywood celebrity self insert character subplot.

it isn't at all pretentious, children.

>first half hour is irritating as fuck
>more genre callbacks per minute than a disney star wars film
>music is bland & forgettable
>stone/gosling don't have a lot of chemistry

really comes together in the last act though

No Damien not everyone is so autostic abot jazz to make TWO movies on it. Jazz isn't pretentious but
>muh purist jazz
>member when jazz was great
Is pretentious.
Are you two the same person or there's an echo in here?
musicals are not pretentious but
>member when musicals were great?
Is pretentious
Jazz I covered above.
Hollywood loves a good circlejerk so anytime an old Hollywood film is made, it's automatically pretentious. Example, the Artist.
>member when Hollywood didn't suck... as much?

You should be more honest Damien.

>not knowing how hollywood is a sucker for musicals.
>Last musical winner was Chicago which came out a decade ago

>Paying homage is bad!!

>Plenty of people see LA as a place where dreams come true. It's where some of the most successful and famous people live. Chazelle said this movie sort of portrayed his early visions on LA, where he could just easily become a filmmaker which turned out harder than it seemed.

>Being this new that i have to explain it to you.
A very mature response

Saying is something is pretentious, doesn't make it pretentious. Just explain WHY it is pretentious, and I might agree with you if you back up your statement with a good argument.

>buying into the "dishonesty" meme

I'm not sure what you mean by dishonest but this film is really overrated

There are so many references which have none of the soul of the thing it's referencing. Take the flight scene which I think is a part reference to Mary Poppins. In that film the idea of floating is joyous and amazing. In La La Land it's just something that happens.

First two songs are not good, they're basically music videos. I can't even figure out half the shit people are singing in the first one. Funnily enough I read a paper which said it was the best song of the film. More like the worst.

I don't have the pasta. Someone post it for this philistine AKA Damien Chazelle, I mean "user."

I can see how the idea of pretentiousness can be got. It tries mimic Hollywood's Golden Age. That alone can be seen as pretentious.

The whole pure jazz business felt completely out of place in the film and they should have removed it.

>People are still falling for this meme

People should lurk more before taking threads like this seriously.

It's not pretentious though, it never tries to be anything but a fun flick. It's just dishonest, because it never emotionally connects. When Bean said she only liked him because he was a fuck up, I believed it, that was honest. When they ignored it and started reminiscing about how they reminisced, it stopped being honest. It already established a reason why this romance didn't work and yet the romance was the only dramatic element in the movie so they kept squeezing drama out of it. DISHONEST!

It's quite simple really, Dishonest Filmmaking (Damien Chazelle, Tarantino, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Alex Garland, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nicholas Refn, Tom Hooper, Tyler Perry, Rian Johnson, Alfonso Cuaron, Noah Baumbach, Andrea Arnold, David Yates, Denis Vilenueve, James Franco, Steve McQueen) are intellectually bankrupt moral whores and charlatans; their films appeal to the modern phenomenon of the 'Pretend Epic' or Pseudo Cinema, often tied to the criticism that "It was a movie that thought it was a film" they have no ideas of their own and are filmed purely to have fancy essays made about them. They obfuscate their lack of insight under a smug impenetrable irony and often contain scenes with disingenuous attempts at depth with characters spouting platitudes that the director takes VERY seriously.
This directly panders to the IMDb reddit sensibility of quote circlejerking since these hacks are masters of the fools wit, "Quipping" (Not to be confused with the marvel co-opting of the word) , it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance, the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonising.

THIS is Dishonest Filmmaking.

They leech the greater works that preceded them; like The Enemy being a rip off Eraserhead, but they have nothing else to say.
They act under the guise of deconstruction with surface layer obvious 'social commentary' and a quirky forgettable score praised as 'innovative'. They are all inauthentic sycophants that rely on oscar buzz and post 9/11 detachment for relevance.

These directors are hacks and will be forgotten to time.

Some notably earnest filmmakers include, but are not limited to:
>Mike Leigh
>The Coen Brothers
>Werner Herzog
>James Cameron
>Terrence Malick
>Clint Eastwood

>it never emotionally connects
The emotional ending is one of the reasons why it has gotten such good reviews.

I haven't seen it yet but my good friend who's a musical connoisseur and who's opinion on art I trust more than anyone, especially Sup Forums neckbeards, says it's great and he's been playing the soundtrack nonstop.

These la la land is dishonest and hacksaw ridge is bad memes are really triggering me, i genuinely loved both of those films and so this is a dark time on this board for me

I wouldn't include PTA in this. Ok Magnoli was pretty dishonest, but TWWB and The Master are modern cinema.

This is terrible pasta.

Exactly.

Is literally the same as the artist but with a different gimmick.

I mean they just release this
film specially made for the self absorbed hollywood crowd, And just in time for the oscars. What a coincidence!.

Please tell me ppl you are not as dumb to not recognize oscar bait when you see it.

But it's not emotional. They were together and they chose not to be together. It's not fucking fate or chance, they chose that. I don't see the drama here. It's only dramatic if you ignore the story and stare at the pretty pictures.

I someone steals my car, that's drama, that's sad. If I sell my car, I may feel bad about it, but there's no drama, I chose to sell it.

Sup Forums needs a hot new meme. I feel this will fade very soon.

>Is literally the same as the artist but with a different gimmick.

The Artist is a French movie and Chaezelle is half-French..... hmmm

Only person defending it in this thread is Chazzelle posting from like 3 devices.

>But it's not emotional.
I didn't cry at the end, but lots of people felt sad for the fact that the two who belonged together didn't end up together.

>belong together
She dumps him to pursue stardom but put him down when he was getting some success.
Does Damien hate women?

Because it's just stupid and wrong. There are films deserving of ridicule but this isn't one of them. Granted it isn't as good as the press make out but it isn't awful at all.

I don't know what you're trying to argue here...

Are you saying that movies should never contain either Jazz or Musicals?

ITT a few retards that don't know anything about music are butthurt they dont understand a musical and thus claim it's pretentious.

I don't think you understand the film at all. The film isn't saying old jazz was great, that's not its message at all, it's about a love story and the character growth of the 2 of them.

Goslings CHARACTER may be pretentious, but if you think the film's driving message is anything about jazz then you clearly didn't watch it.

Just by saying that is quite pretentious. You obviously are a bad judge of whether who or what is pretentious since you're not even self-aware. How dishonest postmaking.

This.

Gosling's character wants to reach his goal. His goal is "I want to save Jazz". Whats stopping him? His love for Emma Stone. It's almost like love is the oldest conflict in the book, and people are saying it's dishonest because theyve never felt love.

Very simple for your simple mind: Chazzelle should have try to create something new and unique instead of trying to ride the coat tails of the golden age of Hollywood. Whether it's jazz or musicals, nostalgia is a plague upon Hollywood.
New ideas=good
Old ideas rehashed pretending to be new ideas= dishonest pretentious filmmaking
Got it?

Damien PLS STOP sameffagging. If YOU knew what your film was about, you wouldn't have made such a pointless, cliched piece of shit.

>Artist
>Birdman
>La La Land

what are some dishonest moves?

Good try lad but no

Cliche? I completely agree. Pretentious or """"dishonest""""? Absolutely not. It was clearly supposed to be a fun passion project for a director who likes musicals and so far as that goes he did a decent job.

Will it ever reinvent cinema? No. Will I even remember it exists in a couple of years? Probably not. But calling it pretentious is just moronic.

This film gave me the same feeling that Cinema Paradiso, my all time fav film, gave me. I could only dream of being able to create a film like this.

But its true that you've never felt true love, right? Cause I mean you've yet to deny it.

I said from multiple devices >two posts always minutes apart
>always with the same tone or similar idea
>posts supporting each others claims
>even both chooses to post screenshots to "blow me the fuck out" when it's unlikely 2 anons would do the same like that in that proximity
Damien fuck off. Your dishonesty even permeates to your Sup Forums postings. But you don't fool me. Go make more shitty Oscar bait for the Academy to eat up.

>I'll call them Damien, that'll work!

>no argument left
>starts arguing samefag when proven otherwise

Pathetic desu

I did it so when my irl friend comes to this thread later, he'll screenshot them and send them to me and say "was this you" and I'll fiercely deny it like always.

But again you deflect. Do you know what love is? Have you experienced a womans touch (or mans, i dont judge)? Do you know what its like to look into the eyes of someone who loves you as much as you love them? Have you ever experienced that, user?

All of those, Arrival

Not him but Damien is dishonest. Whiplash and this are both pure shit

Explain why la la land is pure shit without mentioning the word dishonest.

Everyone say hi to Damien Chazzele, the esteemed director of La La Land, and that other jazz flick, Not My Tempo. He's Hollywoods new hot rising star who likes to make dishonest Oscar Baits and pretend they are good films, and vehemently denying it. He's so dishonest he resorts to covertly using multiple devices to shill and be extra defensive about his movie in a shitpost thread on a Vietnamese Silkworm Farming Forum (evidence of this: 2 posts minutes apart with similar tone and content, and supporting each other's posts with "this"). He's a new friend because instead of memes, he kept genuinely asking what is pretentious about his movie or why we think it's dishonest. He dishonestly tries to exploit us like a test audience for his little product improvement survey so he can make his next film a little better and less dishonest. At least he's working in the right direction...I guess?

>"Pretentious or dishonest? Absolutely not. It was clearly supposed to be a fun passion project for a director who likes musicals and so far as that goes he did a decent job."
You all be the judge if this sounds like something an user would write about a director who he has no intimate knowledge of? Damien has disguised himself as well as ChamCham on Brendan Fraser's IMDB (totally not JUSTman btw). This lack of skill obviously meant he also couldn't very well hide his dishonesty in La La Land. It's so unfortunate that such a poor liar would attempt to lie so much.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a little strange. You tell me.

Terribly written. Uninteresting uncaptivating, bad acted, bad numbered, bad singing. The oscars are sucha joke its no wonder this is the or posterboy. Not to mention the jews and their love of circlejerking

Jesus Christ kill yourself, idiot.

Epic post Sup Forumsro

>bad acted, bad numbered
Are you 12 years old? Or just legitimately retarded?

>Terribly written
What would you improve?

>bad acted
>bad numbered

Hows the third world

>it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance
Much like this copypasta.

Enemy and Eraserhead have almost nothing in common aesthetically, formally or thematically, what a bizarre comparison.

No I think you are with that shit taste though, fucking ironic. Never talk to me about music or acting again if you're gonna be that much of a sucker

wow this place really is reddit. im not even memeing. i don't know why anyone with a sense of self repesct would come here anymore to have a serious discussion.

to the OP this was so mediocre it verges on bad.

>I'm going to continue to shitpost but not say anything constructive or intelligent when asked about my vague, empty criticisms

Yeesh... pal... have you ever been in love?

>i don't know why anyone with a sense of self repesct would come here anymore to have a serious discussion.
You've offered nothing even close to "serious discussion"

I'm glad this thread is here, just saw this movie last night. I haven't read every post but it seems like a lot of people dislike it because they think it is pretentious. I didn't think that, but here are the reasons I overall didn't like it very much.

1. There is very little plot/only two characters
The movie focuses completely on two characters, there are no supporting roles. This might be OK if the characters are really strong but they are not and there the movie comes across as very slow and boring. You are forced to accept the contradiction of the fact that their interactions are so similar to the mundane interactions of real world with the completely unrealistic circumstances of the two characters even being together.

2. The dancing is uninteresting.
This is because they are not professional dancers and had to learn how in three months (and isn't that so incredible?!?). Actually it's not. That kind of thing is amusing for a one-off scene in a movie but not for a movie whose central theme involves song and dance. Seriously, if you want to go back to the time of song and dance, get real dancers.

3. The ending
Without giving to much away, I will just be nice and say that it just doesn't make sense to me. First of all, I'm still not entirely sure what even happened at the end. Second of all, if I take it literally then I have no understanding of why. As I said before the plot and dialogue are very boring for most of the movie, but towards the end it actually begins to evolve into a really engaging story. There is absolutely no pretense for what happens in the end, so why do it? This seems like it might have been the most try-hard aspect of the film, as if the writers were trying to force an epic sad ending, which is really disgusting. Maybe this is pretentiousness...

Things I liked:
Production/cinematography is good
Music is good
Stone and Gosling, for what they were handed do a good job.

C+ overall for me.

That wasn't even me. And my criticisms are what everone has said with a shread of decency for a month

Pretending to be modest is the most pretentious thing a person can do.

You have to remember that Sup Forums contrarians want to dislike it just because. La La Land seems like one of these instant classic movies. Picked from the old and perfected it with some innovative tricks as well. There's some pretty looking screencaps around. I'll be waiting till it shows up on a big screen near me or for the blu ray release to get a better idea of the art conception, as it looks pleasant and one of the movie's high points.

If this movie is indeed that good then Chazelle needs to keep doing the same style and perfecting it. Forget the vocal haters!

lol if Damien really is posting that's pretty pathetic. Sorry though OP but I don't think you're tirade is reaching his ears. Your words aren't that important.

DC

that's not pretentious. i don't think you know what the word means honestly, but then again most of the Sup Forumstards on here have grade school vocabularies.

See
I'm not going to waste my tine explaining myself the same way in every thread but this user did. The characters are dogshit and the wiritng is too. Stone character is written like a tv movie character yet somehow probably worse.

>taking Sup Forums seriously
>actually getting upset by what retards say on Sup Forums
Why? My favorite movies of the year are Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land and Moonlight and every thread about them is full of retarded memes and meaningless "discussion".

Sup Forums is a shit meme board, it's time to stop taking it seriously. If it's not capeshit, Star Wars or excuses to get into political arguments, Sup Forums doesn't care. Might as well rename the memes & politics board.

La la land was shit though...its pure hamfisted oscarbait

pretentious deftinition from Google - "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed."
That's goes exactly with what I'm saying. The film tries to mimic Hollywood greats (attempts to impress) thinking it can do just as good a job (affecting greater importance...) but failing to do so (... than is actually possessed).

It is a gigantic Hollywood circle jerk inserted into a "love story". It's trying to show that these two people are as they litterally said, "on their ass". It shows tries to get the audience to sympathize with the characters when one is an extremely talented handsome piano player and the other is an aspiring actress that puts on a show she can afford and pretends like it didn't happen, she can give up and go home whenever she wants and fall back on her parents at the age of 30. The story tries to convey the difficulty, rejection, and sacrifice these two "lovers" made, but in reality, they had nothing on the line. Pretensciousness disguised as modesty.

It looks good but has very little substance. This is one of those instances where Sup Forums is right.

And that's just your opinion, I enjoyed the movie.

I don't care if Sup Forums likes it or not, not like any of you fags will change my opinion about something. My point was that people shouldn't get upset or triggered about Sup Forums's opinion of something because it's not worth shit. Most people come here only to spout out the latest memes, not to actually discuss movies.

Attempting to copy good films from the past doesn't make something pretentious. That would make almost everything ever made pretentious.

>sympathize with the characters when one is an extremely talented handsome piano player and the other is an aspiring actress that puts on a show she can afford and pretends like it didn't happen...
That's not how they're relatable. They are people we do not come across every day, but there's still some sympathy for them because of the parts that do make them human. The fact that both characters really want to do what they love is one of the most relatable things there is.

If this was oscarbait, suicide might be close for me. What happened to oscarbait films that were actually decent, like Brokeback or A Dangerous Method (just a couple recents)

Idk how you could enjoy the frog she's so fucking poor. Shes loved here but i cant stand her acting. Yes it is all memes.

That's why I said that it could be seen as pretentious rather than is. If it's done earnestly it isn't pretension.
I think the film's main problem is a lack of depth over pretension and I'm not talking about meaning. None of the scenes inspired by other films have any of the originals impact, they just happen.

>If this was oscarbait, suicide might be close for me. What happened to oscarbait films that were actually decent, like Brokeback or A Dangerous Method (just a couple recents)

I hate to tell you user but its pure oscarbait. I try not to think about it

It's pretty entertaining watching these new visitors try to fit in and "impress" us older posters by being as edgy-contrarian as possible at all times.

Embarrassing but hilarious.

>implying they're not trying to make the audience feel for them when her play is an abysmal failure.
I'm sorry, it's typical Hollywood. Why would they think the average American would feel bad for some attractive young girl with a handsome boyfriend who has a golden parachute? They don't. That's why this film misses the mark.

If you want a musical film that had an actually story in which the audience will feel for, watch Saving Mr. Banks

>instant classic
Babby's first Awards season? 2/10 like lalaland

I think its funny you're assuming and defending this crap that hard. I've been here so long its,dare I say, time for me to leave it to you plebs

Dunno, I think the key thing which makes something pretentious is doing something just to come across as intelligent, or deep etc. and I don't think La La Land does it at all.

It very much came across to me as though the director is someone who loves the source material that he was trying to imitate, and wanted to try to add to its history, as is common for people who are inspired. Stylistically he came pretty close I think, there is a very clear artistic vision between the music, look and choreography. Where it fails is in its plot and character, which are bland and pretty boring. Pretentious is the completely wrong word, "uninspired" works better for me.

>the average American would feel bad for some attractive young girl with a handsome boyfriend who has a golden parachute?
Because they had great chemistry. People loved seeing the two together and they were sad when they didn't end up together.

>That's why this film misses the mark.
It's the most acclaimed film in quite a while.

>thinking you're superior to other people because you believe you've been posting on an Internet message board longer than them
Fuck man. Does anyone like you in your life?