Star Wars: Rian Johnson talks about VIII

>Johnson is aiming for an enjoyable experience rather than a darker middle chapter in the new trilogy. “I want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars movies were."

>VIII continues where TFA left off with the journey of Jedi-in-training Rey, former Stormtrooper Finn and ace X-wing pilot Poe Dameron. “I wanted to know more about each of them, and that doesn’t just mean information or backstory," Johnson says. "Figure out what’s the most difficult thing each of them could be challenged with now — let’s throw that at them and dig into what really makes them tick by seeing how they handle that."

>The new film from the start will explore the relationship between Luke and Rey, who shows up on his remote intergalactic island with his old lightsaber “both not knowing what’s going to happen and also having a lot of expectations in her head about how this is going to go,” Johnson says. “It very much feels like what we all go through in adolescence, the dawning of this new chapter of our lives." The director adds that the deepening of familial themes in VIII is "a huge part of especially Rey’s character, something that was a really powerful part of her setup and something I really wanted to dig into with this."

>"What's going on with Luke Skywalker?" is the essential question at the heart of the new film. "I’m approaching it with a take that I hope feels honest and real and is going to be interesting to folks and make sense.”

>VIII already has a title. In fact, he’s had it locked in his mind ever since he started working on VIII a couple of years ago. “It was in the very first draft I wrote,” Johnson says.

usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/01/09/star-wars-episode-viii-rian-johnson-mark-hamill/96351428/

> want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars movies were
>the way The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars movies were
>the way The Force Awakens
oh phew, kino confirmed

>intergalactic island

>Another safe dumb star wars movie
billion confirmed

>The way the Force Awakens was a blast and ride

Christ, if shoving meaningless action and effects in our faces in favor of actual characterization is a blast, then I guess this movie will blast off to the heap of shit, at least for me.

>Intergalactic breeding grounds

Rian is the worlds biggest fucking hack and I'm legitimately bewildered how he managed to suck so many Jewish cocks to get to his position. All of his stuff is objectively terrible. This line caught my attention -

>both not knowing what’s going to happen

It's a pretty big aspect in the films that master force users have an inkling of the future, a sort of rough idea how things will play out. This throwaway line really irks me.

i need my childrens sci-fi flicks to be dark and gritty to justify my autistic obsession over it

fuck you disney

ah yes the fucker who made that gimmick noir high school movie and plothole:the movie

high hopes, high hopes

I was excited about Episode 8 until this moment because I had read that it was not going to be like TFA.

I sure hope it's easy enough for my 1 year old to understand otherwise they will lose a ticket sale!

Why does it trigger you? The biggest fucking complaint you autists had was Rey being too OP, and now they may be giving her an actual character arc and you complain? There really is no winning with some of you.

>star destroyer traced Rey
>finds her on the planet
>enters atmosphere
>Rey freaks out
>wants to flee
>Luke tries to calm her down
>she can't be calmed down
>Luke closes his eyes and shakes his head
>star destroyer crashes into the sea
>he mumbles "size doesn't matter"
>wild angle a shot with Rey looking at the start destroyer slowly sinking down

Didn't like it? Well whatever they are going to do is going to be worse :-^^

If the middle chapter isn't dark then will the 3rd chapter be? Not that we should assume there won't be an infinite number of trilogies after this one but still.

The biggest complains were that the movie was memes and repetition and only very few original ideas that weren't shit.

>the way The Force Awakens™ was
uh oh

Oh so like The Force Unleashed

I'm okay with this. Galen Marek is canon

>a blast
>funny
>a ride
>The Force Awakens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

LIFE IS A NIGHTMARE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

>he biggest fucking complaint you autists had was Rey being too OP, and now they may be giving her an actual character arc and you complain?

Being a Mary Sue has nothing to do with having or not having a character arc.

In fact personally a Mary Sue having a character arc is worth than not having one because at least if they don't have an arc you can set them aside and stop caring about them.

No, there were a billion threads about rey being a mary sue. The remake stuff was justified and always there but people just started hating that recently. Now that they may be giving her some kind of arc where she has to learn more and show that she is still vulnerable, you fucking autistic sperglord retards are going to complain that she doesnt magically know everything. From the bottom of my heart, go fuck yourselves.

>but people just started hating that recently
No.
>From the bottom of my heart, go fuck yourselves.
From the bottom of my heart, go back to plebbit.

Eat a dick do you even know what a mary sue is. Of course not you're just pirating memes.

>Point out serious flaw
>OMG YOU FUCKING AUTISTIC 4CHANNERS STOP COMPLAINING EVEN IF THERE WAS NO FLAW YOU WOULD STILL COMPLAIN!
Reddit is that way champ.

Ofc, there was but it's your fault if you take the few triggered mary-sue-autists seriously.

>and to be a ride
just start making actual rides already hollywood. its clearly what you really want.

Didn't a title get leaked a while ago? Which came with the sidenote that "it might change". Anyone remember what it was, it must be that then.

lol you are so right fuck these guys are retarded on this board just like lmao just accept it and turn your brain off.

Explain to me, by all means, what being a Mary Sue has to do with the possession or otherwise of a character arc.

Bear in mind also that failure to do so will result in looking foolish in front of all 13 of the posters in this thread.

I only remember anons claiming it was "Fall of the Resistance" in those alleged (but totally fake) leaked scripts.

>people didn't hate the remake aspect until recently
ok, stupid

jesus
christ
jesus fuck
fucking hell
hell
fucking christ
you cant seriously fucking
christ
fucking hell
serious
fuck
fucking star wars fuck
dog shit
complete utter shit

So what do we call this new breed of absolute garbage Star Wars?

Yes, blah blah blah the prequels are shit, but at least they were Lucas, and at least they weren't playing it safe (safe for fucking Jar Jar). This new breed of star wars is nothing but trash, except for Rogue One. We need more movies like that

I just googled, apparently there are 3 possible titles.

>Echoes of the Dark Side
>The tale of the jedi temple
>Order of the dark side

They all sound equally gay.

I enjoy reddit and hope to see this safe movie when it comes out, I'll even buy 4 extra tickets to see it again.

>rey begins to laugh
>"size doesn't matter?"
>"did your mother tell you that master Luke? Let me assure you as a strong independent woman, size is very important"

>childrens
Star Wars was never aimed at only children, it was always meant to appeal to all ages.

Not really, Lucas confirmed it was for children. And that's okay.
Unless you are talking about the Star Wars fanfiction like the EU and the Disney Canon.

>Where did you get my old lightsaber?
>A woman named Maz Kanata gave it to me.
>Oh.
>...
>Where did she get it?
>She didn't tell me.

>trade disagreements
>fall of a democracy 3 movie story arc
>it's for children
>implies rape of Shmee of whatever the fuck her name was
>Anakain slaughtering her
>Anakain slaughtering children
>it was for children
Don't believe this mans lies bro.

You were almost there, just trade Rey's name with Luke's.

Lots of relationship exploration? Non serious? Light?
Well at least ourgirl jenny will enjoy it. God forbid something original is made.

Thats cheesy even for star wars

I believe it's meant for children and just very bad at it because Lucas is a hack.

pure
shit
absolute
autism
garbage
bravo jj
fucking christ

I believe it's meant for adults and just very bad at it because Lucas is a hack.

>Where did you get my old lightsaber?
>A woman named Maz Kanata gave it to me
>luke is silent for a few moments
>oh yes, I remember maz, she was a good friend

It's not if you focus on Rey beeing foolish during the execution. Not that they are going to do this.

This. Episode 8 was meant to be like the prequels and not like TFA at all.

>mfw Episode 8 originally was very dark just like Adam Driver said, comparing it to how Empire Strikes Back felt
>Rian freaked out that people would think it is like ESB
>Decides to do reshoots to make it funnier
Hmmmmmmm

I want her to sit on my face

You all know they're going to kill off Luke right?

I mean he's a white male, you can't empower little girls with a white male hero.

He said that in 2005, as a way of justifying stupid shit in his new shitty movies.

He never said that about the original trilogy, and it's obvious that wasn't his intention with it. It wasn't until RotJ that something explicitly child-friendly was added, the ewoks.

Obviously the movies were always appealing to kids and I'm sure that he wanted them to be. But they were appealing to everyone. Your parents probably went to see the movies together in theaters before you were born, maybe even as a date.

But he's also a homosexual so no.

>Death is but a door, time is but a window: I'll be back

>Rogue One didnt do well among the normies because it wasnt like TFA
>all future Star Wars movies will now be like TFA
Just when I had my hopes up that this would not follow the shitty JJ Abrams pace and mood... looks like Rian has betrayed us

>But at least they were Lucas!
I hate this justification for the prequels. The OT was a collaborative effort between him, other directors, writers, John Williams and editors who fucking saved the first movie.
The prequels are pure unadulterated autism.

JJ is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Wars.

He has tarnished the universe of Star Wars forever

>the Jar Jar Binks of Star Wars
user...

>didn't do well
>almost one billion
Dumb alt right poster. The furthest away from the shit that was RO, the better.

We can both cuddle her together user :)

If you think TFA is better than RO, get lost on tatooine

Both are shit.

“I want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way The Force Awakens was"
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ

>Johnson is aiming for an enjoyable experience rather than a darker middle chapter in the new trilogy.
JUST FUCK MY STAR WARS UP

Hopefully he's lying or trolling to make the movie appeal to people worried about it not being dark and the movie will actually be dark and nothing like TFA as a prank.
But then again Rogue One was as dark as it gets for Disney Star Wars and this one will probably revert back to the Marvel kind so they make one dark, one light, and so on.

This is also true of American Graffiti. Really everything Lucas has ever worked on that was really good had him collaborating with people. You give him absolute creative control and he will fuck it up.

What I will say in his defense, though, is that it might actually have been for the best if Disney really had listened to his ideas of what to do with the series and kept him on as a producer or adviser or something. He's basically a good ideas guy who is bad in execution. The formula for the original films' success was Lucas's concepts heavily revised and added to by input from talented artists of all kinds. That's exactly what it would have been again if they made new movies under Disney's control but based on Lucas's ideas.

Gee. It's almost as if he is currently working for the company who produced that movie and as if he's written two of those movies now.

Rian is a fan of the prequels but hasnt stated this in any actual interviews I dont think probably to not scare the normies away.

I just hope it actually is like the prequels with a Shakespearean film and is dark and not like TFA at all

>Jedi-in-training Rey
Why does she need training? She's perfectly capable of figuring out any power or abilities she needs on her own when given 5 or 10 seconds to think about it

>doesn't want a darker take

Code for: we're going to play it safer on this one

>Right after Graffiti I was getting this fan mail from kids that said the film changed their life, and something inside me said, do a children's film. And everybody said, "Do a children's film? What are you talking about? You're crazy".

He calls it a "Children's film" about 5 times in his '77 Rolling Stone interview.

he thought up characters and ships specifically with toys in mind

>aiming for an enjoyable experience rather than a darker middle chapter in the new trilogy.
WE ARE NOT REMAKING EMPIRE LIKE WE REMADE HOPE I SWEAR

Mark Kermode talked about an interview with Lucas where Lucas basically said that he didn't care all that much about the story but cared about giving children the characters and toys to make stories themselves. I think when you acknowledge that, it changes the way you look at him. I don't think he's a complete greedy piece of shit, just a genuine guy with different priorities to a lot of his audience.

>I don't want to create a narrative arc
>I want to milk silly jokes and action scenes for 20 more movies
You don't say

And they're better and more memorable for it.

>Luke just sort of went to chill out on plot convenience: the planet while millions died, including his best friend
>it will feel so honest and real bros!!

Because she'll forget all of that at the start of a new movie. She's not a Mary Sue, she's just always exactly what the writers need her to be.

A walking plot device isn't much better than a Mary sue

It could happen, I think there was something like this in the concept art for TFA, which has already been recycled into R1

>different priorities to a lot of his audience
I don't think so. Most people love SW because they love the universe he created, not because of some deep human drama happening on screen. And the universe is so alluring because it was created to be alluring, to be sold as toys. Same reason why Gundam is popular. People pretend it's popular despite the toys, but it's popular exactly because everything looks so cool that you want to buy a toy.

So where did Jar Jar Abrahams go?

Oh great...another dumd Disney Star Wars full with cliches and Marvel lines.

Darth Plagueis and the novel was and is still canon.

Fuck Disney
Fuck the Jews
Fuck everyone
For daring to say that Darth Plagueis isnt canon.

??????????
??????????
??????????
??????????

>Johnson is aiming for an enjoyable experience rather than a darker middle chapter in the new trilogy.
can't mess with that formula now can we

>Johnson is aiming for an enjoyable experience rather than a darker middle chapter in the new trilogy. “I want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars movies were."
>I want it to be funny
>like The Force Awakens

Fuck.

Spoilers:

Rey is Ben's sister (rip-off of Jaina and Jacen). Luke mindfucked everyone into forgetting her (Ben, Han, Leia, Chewie, Rey herself, etc.) and put a block on C3PO to protect her from the Big Guy Snoke (R2 still knows). In SW8 she finds out and it drives a rift between her and Luke and she leaves before her training is completed.

Her real name is Padme

btw Snoke is a Force Ghost, not a real physical person
he was Darth Plagueis in life

Rey and Kylo have the opposite arc of Jaina and Jacen. Rey will turn dark and Kylo will try to get redemption. The movies will make it ambiguous if he's genuine about it or just want to do like Vader did.

Rian is a liar. SW8 will be darker than SW7.

I believe it's meant for both and just very bad at it because Lucas is a hack.

I don't believe you
they wouldn't do this

cool story bro

>Johnson is aiming for an enjoyable experience rather than a darker middle chapter in the new trilogy

So it will be an MCU movie instead of an ESB remake?

Star wars is literally transformers at this point.

Is this even possible to play safer than TFA?

Yes disney will find a way.

I can't fucking believe I'm saying this but at least Lucas was willing to take risks.

Even the prequels HAD parts that were memorable in every prequel.

Phantom had Jedi battle and pod racing
Clones had Fett & Obi battle and Daxters diner.
Revenge had Sheev battle and high ground.

The novel itself isn't Canon but Plagieus is due to him being mentioned in Tarkin.

Just make some shit up f a m

You'll see.

They should had just made a movie about tarkin already.

Tarkino

Kinokin