Flying the ring to Mordor would not have been viable because there was no reason for it...

Flying the ring to Mordor would not have been viable because there was no reason for it. Time was not a factor for the Fellowship, had it been they wouldn't have dragged their feet leaving Rivendell or have spent a month's vacation in Lothlorien. Convenience certainly didn't matter either. The one thing that mattered, the only thing, was secrecy.

It was absolutely imperative that Sauron be given no indication whatsoever of where the ring was actually headed. If he even suspected that his enemies would attempt to destroy his ring he would have taken the relatively simple step of sealing the entrance to the forge, which is the only place the ring could have been unmade. It couldn't simply have been dropped into the caldera.

Sauron never bothered putting a door before his forge because he didn't believe that anyone would ever take his ring there. The ring's corrupting influence was a fail-safe. He believed that no one could resist its power, and certainly not within the forge, where his magic was strongest. He was right in thinking that, also.

Anyway, there's nothing clandestine about giant birds flying straight to Mordor.

>the ring dominates and enslaves any weak mind that gets near it

>BIRDS would've been perfectly okay though

this is the dumbest fucking maymay

I never made that point but it's valid, the eagles would have been susceptible to the ring's influence.

The giant eagles are sapient, anyway. They could talk.

>Time was not a factor for the Fellowship
nigga, time was very much a factor

The free territories of Middle earth were shrinking gradually and if they didn't depart when they did then Rohan would have fallen to Saruman, which would lead to Gondor falling to Mordor, Erebor/Mirkwood falling to Rhun and Lothlorien falling to Dol Guldur which would leave them stuck in Rivendell surrounded by enemies on all sides beyond the mountains.

The only place safe for the ring after that would be up Bombadils ass in his patch of meme magic forest.

>time was very much a factor

No, it wasn't.

Sauron's final stroke against Gondor was still years, or even decades, away, until Aragorn goaded him with the Palantir.

Not that anyone was rushing to save Gondor, though. Gondor would have already succumbed years before the Council of Elrond if Denethor weren't so capable.

Of course not only did Jackson have to make Boromir out to be some kind of bad egg he had to make Denethor into an incompetent loon too. Because in Jackson's mind people can't fall from grace unless they were bad to begin with, apparently.

Friendly reminder that the eagles are the direct agents of the leader of the gods, Manwë

I'm talking about how its gone on for years no matter how many times people have posted how if they handed the ring to A BIRD that bird would've just flown straight to sauron.

Kind of I guess.

Manwe's direct agents were his herald, what's his face, and Gandalf. Birds, giant eagles especially, were sacred to Manwe but he wasn't ever ordering them around to my knowledge.

Anyway Gandalf's appointed from the chief of the gods was one of the three reasons Saruman went rogue, because of his jealously.

have some art you spergs

80s art is GOAT

Gandalf: Master Baggins, I'm Mithrandir
Saruman: He wasn't alone.
Gandalf: Uhh.. you don't get to bring friends.
Frodo: They're not my friends.
Saruman: They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the Ringwraith. The Black Rider.
Gandalf: The Witch King?
(Saruman nods)
Gandalf: Get them on the eagle, I'll call it in.

Gandalf: The flight plan I just filed with the White Council lists me, my fellowship, Master Baggins here, but only one of you! First one to talk gets to stay on my eagle!
(Gimli drags a Nazgul to the edge)
Gandalf: WHO PAID YOU TO GRAB MASTER BAGGINS?
(The Nazgul offers no response. Legolas shoots an arrow off the side of the eagle)
Gandalf: HE DIDN'T FLY SO GOOD. WHO WANTS TO TRY NEXT?
(Grabs another Nazgul)
TELL ME ABOUT THE WITCH KING! WHY DOES HE WEAR THE RING?
(The second Nazgul says nothing)
Gandalf: LOT OF LOYALTY FOR A HIRED RINGWRAITH!
Third Nazgul: Or perhaps he's wondering why you would shoot a man before throwing him out of an eagle.
Gandalf: At least you can talk! Who are you?
Third Nazgul: It doesn't matter who we are. What matters is our plan.
(Gandalf removes the hood of the third Nazgul.)
Witch King: No one cared who I was until I took the ring.
Gandalf: If I pull that off, will you die?
Witch King: It would be extremely painful.
Gandalf: You're a big guy.
Witch King: For you.
Gandalf: Was getting caught part of your plan?
Witch King: Of course! Mr. Baggins here refused our offer in favour of yours. We needed to find out what he told you.
Frodo: Nothing! I said nothing!
(The eagle encounters turbulence. Above, a winged beast with a team of Nazgul riding it comes into view)
Gandalf: Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Aragon: Gandalf?
What's the next step in your master plan?
Witch king: Crashing this eagle. WITH NO SURVIVORS!

(Four Ringwraiths leap down toward the eagle. The Witch King breaks his handcuffs and snaps Gandalf’s neck.)

>before throwing him out of an eagle.

Shouldn't that be "throwing him off of an eagle?"

>80s art
Doesn't look like 80s art all that much really. Googled it too be sure and it's from 1994.

Anyone still here?

I'm a pretentious Tolkien nerd make me questions.

If any of these look familiar it's because Alan Lee and John Howe were the guys hired to design the sets and everything for Jackson's adaptations.

why would Tolkien ruin his own universe with introducing a meme character like Bombadil?

Tom is supposed to stick out.

When you've got wizards and dragons and weirdos running around in your setting it's hard for the reader to accept that anything actually is wondrous or bizarre. But Tom is different, he's clearly an anomaly. He demonstrates that there's still wonder and weirdness to the world.

Teleri BTFO

That's actually Elendil and company leaving Numrenor.

I only have this picture for ants of the Teleri getting fucked over.

The film's Fell Beasts look better imo

Thanks for the art dump, user. It was really nice.

I'll post a few more yet then go to bed.