David Lynch turns 71 today. Wish him happy birthday, and post your favorite work of his

David Lynch turns 71 today. Wish him happy birthday, and post your favorite work of his.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o97uNzbBfis
youtube.com/watch?v=3kqw5DqdGXw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lynch can suck my dick
absolute hack
new twin peaks is gonna suck

more like gayvid bitch

His home movies.

My favorite work is his inevitable biopic

he'll be fine

Can't wait for this worthless talentless hack to finally die.

Very hard to decide. Depending on the day all his movies are the best.

Michael J Anderson, go home. You're drunk.

check'd and kek'd

WATCH IT NECKBEARD

well i just watched fire walk with me for the first time and it was pretty

uh

pretty something

be real with me now how much of his oeuvere is just bullshit?

It's kinda shit. Doesn't really provide any new information, and a lot of it doesn't fit with what's said in the show.

it seemed way darker than i remember the series being

it has been a while since i've watched through it though, gotta get a rewatch in before the new stuff comes out

DELETE THIS

damn david lynch is gangster as fuck

Where did these accusations come from?

i like mulholland drive for what it is, but my favorite of his is elephant man. straight forward, well told story with good acting and an honest script. given the subject matter, it could've easily appeared forced melodrama, but it was always true.

Mikey wanted more money to appear in season 3, Lynch said no.

Your kinda shit.

>new magic ring that lets you communicate through the lodge
>the one armed man knows that Leland is Bob
>nonsensical david bowie scene that you need to watch a deleted scene to understand

no u

Little Mike's ass.

I'm pretty sure he just has a bunch of personal issues with Lynch.

Wait, so he made that status to make it seem like he was defending Lynch, when he was actually the first person to up the accusations?

Or is that status passive aggressive and I was too stupid to notice?

Has Lynch said anything about it haha?

It's passive aggressive and you probably have autism

>Or is that status passive aggressive
yeah

Probably. Though I think I just skimmed over it - the writing a TV show about the daughter is rather obvious.

Storywise maybe but it has great atmosphere

I don't think Lynch ever made a statement about it but his daughter came out and denied all of it. Lynch could probably sue him for libel if he wanted to.

I'm pretty sure he was accusing him without being able to be held legally accountable for making false accusation.

I don't think Lynch ever said anything about it. His daughter did, though, on her Instagram:

"I am sorry that Mike is doing this. None of what he says is true, and I hope he receives the help and peace he needs."

Did you just judge a movie based entirely on the information provided in the story relating to a tv show? Jesus Christ.

>Oh, she had the face of an angel! I must have been a great disappointment to her.

How is he so fucking cool

That film toes the line so perfectly between over-emotive and understated. It means every little emotional moment is affecting as hell. Beautiful film.

Go to bed, MJA. Enough shitposting for today.
In all seriousness, he probably browses Sup Forums.

It's hardly a standalone movie. It's a 2 hour prequel episode.

Happy birthday vecchio di merda

i tried to watch fwwm but i turned it off after 30 minutes because it was boring as fuck
>dude wacky leland at dinner LMAO

Agreed.
I bet he can even shitpost here.
and people like trump's hair

Will he ever top it bros?

The first 30 minutes are almost completely irrelevant for the rest of the movie.

>wacky leland
Uh, user.. Did you watch the Missing Pieces by accident?

False.

No they're not. Have you even watched it?

the one i was watching was like 2 hours or so so probably not

How do they relate to anything that happens in the rest of the movie? They tie in to the series, sure, but not the rest of the film
If I missed something, seriously, please tell me

I don't know, the missing pieces is almost an hour and forty minutes long

The ring, for starters, is introduced during these first 30 minutes and is central to the plot.

Too bad Leland and other regular Twin Peaks character don't appear until later.

>False.
no u

Of course. I like the first 30 minutes, but they're not needed. The ring doesn't need to be shown, since it doesn't work the same way for Laura. We didn't need to see an investigation into the murdered girl - having Coop say he thinks there will be another murder during his seen with Albert would be more than enough. And what else is relevant from the first 30 minutes? Nothing.

he'll be fine

it is very likely that it was the missing pieces
i remember j edgar beating the redneck cop up and then david bowie becomes a black star and disappears, then came the leland part

The ring doesn't even need to exist. It's just a long convoluted way to explain how Laura found Cooper in the lodge, which didn't really need an explanation anyway, given how little we know about the lodge

>The ring doesn't even need to exist.
You don't need to exist.

>The ring doesn't need to be shown, since it doesn't work the same way for Laura.
This isn't science fiction. Fucking hell. I'll never understand the mindset some of you people have when approaching things like this.
Your entire post is incomprehensible to me. Don't "need"? What the fuck do you mean? It's all relevant to the rest of the film and sets up the atmosphere perfectly.

What the fuck do you mean by "doesn't need to exist"? Oh, fuck it. I think our mindsets are too different to even argue about this, so I'll just call you a moron and try not to get too mad.

>A man's attitude …a man's attitude goes some ways, the way his life will be, Is that something you might agree with?

What did he mean by this?

What exactly does the ring do for the narrative?

He was being a smart aleck.

>This isn't science fiction. Fucking hell. I'll never understand the mindset some of you people have when approaching things like this.
>Your entire post is incomprehensible to me. Don't "need"? What the fuck do you mean? It's all relevant to the rest of the film and sets up the atmosphere perfectly.
It doesn't matter how much or how little sense you think a film like this should make, there is no good reason to show the ring transport someone, only to then have it later where it doesn't transport Laura - it just stops her getting possessed. You can go on all you want about how it doesn't have to make sense, but that doesn't change the fact that if we hadn't seen the FBI scene, nothing would have changed with regards to the ring. It behaves completely differently to how it behaved earlier.

How is it incomprehensible - are you illiterate? I said I liked the first 30 minutes. I do think it has a nice atmosphere, though bare in mind the first 30 minutes are much more lighthearted and 'Twin Peaks' in tone than the rest of the movie.

I think it's pretty obvious what doesn't "need" to be in it means. The tone is completely different to the rest of the film, and it is barely (and unnecessarly) connected to the rest of the film. People always go on about how the "normies" didn't like the dark tone, whilst ignoring the fact there were probably many people fed up with watching a quarter of a film that had no good reason of being included (except for the fact it's obviously sequel bait).

I think the investigation was important for two reasons:
- It shows the whole case through the point of view of two new characters with a different approach and personality than Cooper's. Sure, Stanley is a bit of an expy of Cooper (similar mannerisms and observations) but he's not as sharp and definitely not as experienced. They discover the ring. They don't know what it is and what it does, but they still do. It also shows that the events depicted in the series aren't the first time the FBI has had to deal with something like this. That said, while Coop makes a few mistakes in the series and the film he knows more or less what he's dealing with as his investigation goes on. Stanley and especially Desmond don't, despite the latter's assurance and cockiness.
- It subverts Twin Peaks entirely and is necessary to set the tone. If the film had started directly with Laura snorting cocaine it wouldn't have had the same impact at all, and would've been too blunt. Lynch plays with the audience and tells them that FWWM is nothing like the series in the first 30 minutes, but does it with subtlety. A few people I know didn't even notice Deer Meadows was an inverted version of Twin Peaks until a second viewing.

The ring is an explanation as to why Laura died instead of being possessed by BOB, and is also a time-travel device of sorts (Annie gave Laura the ring and told her to write that the "good Dale" was trapped inside the Lodge in her diary, which is something that happens way later in the timeline). Cooper doesn't know its meaning and assumes it's a bad thing (he's wrong), but it is the only thing that saves her from BOB's influence.

I fucking knew it, user. You better watch FWWM and APOLOGIZE.

what did lynch mean by this?

Did he have his best friend "murdered"?

it's bill maher's birthday too

he gets donald trump as president for his birthday

>michael moore born on he same day as coop

>A few people I know didn't even notice Deer Meadows was an inverted version of Twin Peaks until a second viewing.
I didn't think of it that way either when I first saw it. It's really interesting, though. Aside from the diner and the sheriff/deputy/secretary, even Chet and Sam are the opposites of Coop and Albert.

youtube.com/watch?v=o97uNzbBfis

is that this guy?

no

michael moore is older than bill maher
wtf

Lynch appears to be a puppet manipulated by his own hand.
youtube.com/watch?v=3kqw5DqdGXw

The trailer park also replaces the Grand Northern Hotel, complete with shit coffee.

Yeah, it is.

why did everyone from the FBI have autism?

clarence boddicker was played by kurtwood smith not miguel ferrer

>shit coffee
Take that back. Carl Rodd's Good Morning America is better than anything you've ever tasted. Perfect for when you need a good wake-me-up, user. Perfect for when you need a good wake-me-up, user.

Please tell me what to watch first. I have only seen Twin Peaks + FWWM.

Blue velvet and Mulholland drive sound familiar, so those two?

Are you just pretending?

Blue Velvet is probably the most accessible of his "surreal" work, so yeah, that's a good place to start.

>- It shows the whole case through the point of view of two new characters with a different approach and personality than Cooper's. Sure, Stanley is a bit of an expy of Cooper (similar mannerisms and observations) but he's not as sharp and definitely not as experienced. They discover the ring. They don't know what it is and what it does, but they still do. It also shows that the events depicted in the series aren't the first time the FBI has had to deal with something like this. That said, while Coop makes a few mistakes in the series and the film he knows more or less what he's dealing with as his investigation goes on. Stanley and especially Desmond don't, despite the latter's assurance and cockiness.
I don't think this is a good enough justification - again, having Coop talk about a previous murder (or just leaving it as it already is, "there will be another one") with Albert is enough.

>- It subverts Twin Peaks entirely and is necessary to set the tone. If the film had started directly with Laura snorting cocaine it wouldn't have had the same impact at all, and would've been too blunt. Lynch plays with the audience and tells them that FWWM is nothing like the series in the first 30 minutes, but does it with subtlety. A few people I know didn't even notice Deer Meadows was an inverted version of Twin Peaks until a second viewing.
Maybe, but then did it really need to be 30 minutes long? If it was going to take that long, then it should have been more relevant to the story. Interesting your friends didn't pick up on it, did they not think going to a police station and a diner seemed familiar?

And just to say, I think the scene with Bowie is one of my favourite parts on reflection - I did enjoy the first 30 minutes, but I think it's valid criticism to say it really didn't need to be included, or at least it should not have gone on for so long.

It's one of your favorite parts, but the movie would've been better without it? Is that what you're saying? You're not making any sense.

If you want straightforward but still uneasy, go for Blue Velvet. It is a really good companion to Twin Peaks in how it depicts rural American towns with a seedy night world.
If you want stuff more in tone with FWWM watch Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

>ayy cracka, rank david's lynch's movies and twin peaks NOW or i will pop you!

I'd say Blue Velvet. It's pretty straightforward (I don't know why RT says it's not surprising if you don't understand the story) and is also his best film from what I've seen.

mmmmmmm

Is everyone forgetting that at the time of production it was meant to be part one of a trilogy of TP movies?

>1. Eraserhead

I'm saying I enjoyed the first 30 minutes, but I think if someone wants to complain that it's pretty irrelevant, it's a very valid complaint. They shouldn't be told they're "normies" or "plebians" or "cancer" etc.

Happy Birthday and thank You for making a show I can casually pop on when there are people around so They don't know about my Sci-fi fetish.

1. Eraserhead
2. Fire Walk With Me
3. Lost Highway
4. Mulholland Drive
5. Blue Velvet
6. Inland Empire
7. Elephant Man
8. The Straight Story
9. Wild at Heart
10. Dune

Inland Empire is an acquired taste though, pretty damn impenetrable film that took me a few tries to 'get'. I really like it but saying it's insanely bizarre is the understatement of the year.

>They shouldn't be told they're "normies" or "plebians" or "cancer" etc.
That's just the Sup Forums way of expressing disagreement or dislike of someone else's taste.
I'll have to be honest, I don't understand where you're coming from at all, and the way you rationalize it, so I guess we just have very different ways of perceiving the film.

How's Annie?

Fire Walk With Me
Twin Peaks (the episodes he directed)
Inland Empire
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead (needs a re-watch)
Mulholland Drive (needs a re-watch)

>not bad honkeys

ANNIE, ARE YOU OKAY?
SO, ANNIE ARE YOU OKAY?
ARE YOU OKAY, ANNIE?

Where's the sticky?

Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
FWWM
Twin Peaks
Wild at Heart
Elephant Man
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Straight Story
Dune

I didn't include Twin Peaks in my list because I see it as a whole, though if I had to include it it would be behind FWWM and potentially Lost Highway.

We've met before, haven't we?

I know, but I mean is it's the same shit in these Twin Peaks/Lynch threads. People normally just say it's because of "the darkness", so it annoys me there could be genuine complaints about the film, but they're just not listened to.

Well I don't really know how else I can put it. I mean I myself actually enjoy the first 30 minutes, I'm just trying to explain there are reasons why other people might not like it.

I'm sure Sutherland isn't coming back, but is that other FBI agent coming back for season 3?

>is that other FBI agent coming back for season 3?
The cast list is available online.