How can a country be so devoid of musical talent?

How can a country be so devoid of musical talent?

Attached: 6421C09E-A2C7-4127-B569-FB8E49CA4B58.png (1200x600, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PrZZfaDp02o
youtube.com/watch?v=oCNC_QIf_Gs
youtube.com/watch?v=L7AhsUtT41k
youtube.com/watch?v=rNeFXUyITM0
youtube.com/watch?v=LdDsoIwd7R0
youtube.com/watch?v=yjHt7YTnYIs
youtube.com/watch?v=AQC_fj1S7fo&list=PLocWG8obZEP0gDaWOYMdOGI3ne_qK_YhJ
youtu.be/gW8sTWrJGNk?t=23s
youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-IK79ElrU
youtube.com/watch?v=MetXyUFY3Ts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: straff.jpg (400x400, 16K)

Men at Work, they're good beyond their singles.

MGMT is ok

they're amerifats

Attached: nickcave210812w_sam_jones.jpg (604x388, 47K)

Most of the actual good stuff was made in the 70's through 90's and never made it beyond cult status outside or (mostly) inside the country. The only Australian artists that make it big are either 1. cringy af 2. kiwis or 3. Nick Cave.

>some of the earliest punk rock and post punk
>some of the earliest noise rock
>invents grunge before Seattle
>invents death metal before Death
>nick cave
>avalanches
etc

forgot Midnight Oil, but I don't care much for them personally

All shit. Next.

>some of the earliest punk rock and post punk
lmao
Other than the saints for punk you're full of shit
And buttrock isn't grunge

>Hey, here's evidence that you're wrong
>I don't care xD
Nice one lads

Where's the evidence you coon ass bitch
For these claims:
>post punk

By having way fewer people than you would think for its size. Pretty simple really.

Attached: 1944F5C6-C95D-4D67-B205-AF23376640EA.jpg (749x746, 152K)

The Beatles are good

J.G Thirlwell is probably the greatest industrial artist of all time and he's some wanker from melbourne.

population is 20 million.
Australia generally has a pretty shit attitude towards funding art and music.

The big difference is that Aus compared to the rest of the world, music is completely a white-collar, university educated realm. There is almost no working class music. Outisde of Jimmy Barnes and Powderfinger and Paul Kelly, its pretty dry. JJJ rewards only the left leaning uni kid audience.

tldr; most working class aussies thinking making music and the arts is for gays and queers. There is no culture of music that is present in America, and to a lesser extent Britain.

Attached: ppgbh.jpg (600x600, 59K)

We have Nick Cave, Tame Impala (who i don't really like) and the King Gizzard (who are in my opinion are one of the best bands on the planet rn)

Well clearly you haven't yet listened to Alex Cameron.

this is sorta true. Dom from tame impala even went back to Uni during the hight of tame impalas success to study financial shit.

I grew up about 1km away from where tame impala grew up and ive sat on tables with them as we have mutual friends (well mostly just dom but shrugs) I see kevin a fair bit and he always looks at me funny because I'm probably the most alternative person in town and I'm his age so hes seen me around the longest compared to others.

the thing you realise well I can only speak for perth but the thing you realise about art here is its all about contacts all the people that get big here have really good contacts and bands basically befriend triple J people or big local promoters/managers before they get big. it does seem kinda bullshit.

mind you thou I did go to a dead party in 2006 before tame impala got big and they where playing a acoustic and sitting around waiting for people to show up (that never did) and I told them "no body likes guitar music" I like to think I inspired their production style of digital first then work out the live aspect.

but bragging aside.

yer Australia art is seen as a social status thing its not really that authentic the best artists and creative people I know only got into it because they where basically forced into it because of rehabilitation programs but their isn't alot of them.

best muso I know in perth atm is basically homeless but pete from peter bibby band (not bibby but his support is pretty talented.

its because music in Australia is about social status first and foremost. even the abbos busking on the street are doing it to rise above and be considered more important.

sure music might be superficial like this in many other places in the world but I think the difference with Australia is that artists here are literally the same people that are music snobs in other places.

its good in some ways. means there is a good local scene of people trying to be special but ultimately their motivations are shit and they are not that nice people deep down.

our only big success in the 21c is kevin parker who was basically forced into music by his dad.

Down Under is basically the only song I listen to at this point

only reason people make music in Australia is to get laid.

only reason Tame Impala and Kevin Parker made it big is because international audiences looked past that and respected their autism.

Attached: 0000514748.jpg (498x500, 94K)

Gave based Nick Cave at least

Crowded House

>the drones
>buffalo
>scientists
>cosmic psychos
>god
>eddy current supression ring
>lubricated goat
>the avalanches
>severed heads
not even an ausfag

NZ band

The twenty-first century's yesterday ya fecking cunt

youtube.com/watch?v=PrZZfaDp02o

Attached: moot stralia.png (404x238, 43K)

oh, and how could I forget hunters and collectors

Sticky Fingers
Tame Impala
Violent Soho
INXS
Gang of Youths

The real question is, how can a country with such a small population have so much talent?

go betweens. straight up best band from australia ever

>Crowded House
no

They only had a maximum of two nz members. They formed in Australia.

Why do AUS feel the need to brag about their country?

>Men at work - Land down Under
>Icehouse - Great Southern Land

people forget just how small our population is

Attached: aus.png (389x487, 23K)

australia has an incredible amount of talent considering how small the population is

oh lol yeah this

Primitive Calculators, X, The Birthday Party
>invented grunge before Seattle
The Scientists

youtube.com/watch?v=oCNC_QIf_Gs

eat a dick faggot

Attached: 1516450872509.jpg (242x340, 19K)

Go-betweens
Triffids

Active during 80's but worth checking out

Nick Cave
The Saints
Roland S. Howard
The Avalanches
The Go-Betweens
The Drones
The Church
Radio Birdman
The Birthday Party
King Gizzard
X
Hoodoo Gurus
Paul Kelly

The only ones worth listening to

Not saying Aus. is a utopia (it's below average), but it has a few good acts.
>Sia
>Kate Miller Heidke
>Nick Cave
>Silverchair
>Avalanches
>Gizzard
>Camp Cope
>Smith Street Band
>Hilltop Hoods
>Flume
>Cathy Milliken
>Ballpark Music
>Nigel Westlake
>James Morrisson
>Elena Kats-Chernin
>Gotye
>Tash Sultana
>Tame Impala
>Powderfinger
>The Vines
>Acdc
>Regurgitator
>Spiderbait
>portal

>this thread has been allowed to progress over several hours and has had a few dozen respondents
>the string "AC/DC" is not present

I hate every single person who has posted thus far in this thread apart from myself.

Also Severed Heads, SPK.

Lowest form of b8 m8

Literally infinity amerimutt songs use the word "america" in the lyrics and title and it's cringe as fuck.

haha australian hip hop

Attached: 360-god-mode-video-screenshot-youtube-671x377.png (671x377, 205K)

How about you take 25 million Americans and put them on some hot rock and have them create as much amazing music as we have. Low tier bait.

The bee gees count right

these pretty much explain it

Dave Graney bruh

Flume and hilltop hoods are normie thot trash

Lior's pretty cool too
youtube.com/watch?v=L7AhsUtT41k
youtube.com/watch?v=rNeFXUyITM0
youtube.com/watch?v=LdDsoIwd7R0

cool story bro - thanks for sharing

>AC/DC
>Musical Talent

Pick one

Hiatus Kaiyote
youtube.com/watch?v=yjHt7YTnYIs
youtube.com/watch?v=AQC_fj1S7fo&list=PLocWG8obZEP0gDaWOYMdOGI3ne_qK_YhJ

>Implying Angus Young isn't a top 25 dadrock guitarist
foh

Some more Westlake:
youtu.be/gW8sTWrJGNk?t=23s

> smaller population than Mozambique
> basically double what it was in the 60s/70s
> people wonder why there wasn't that much popular Aussie music in the 60s and 70s
rly oodles ur noodle

The Celibate Rifles and TISM are also bretty good
Digits confirm the innate drongo talent at making pub rock

Seething

To make matters worse bands can't do tours because the flights cost thousands.

the fooking church mate get on it
youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-IK79ElrU
exceptional band

didn't we already do this shit with france yesterday

Angus Stone is dope

youtube.com/watch?v=MetXyUFY3Ts

i live in melbourne and there is seriously ZERO music culture. i play in a few bands but the "scene" that i'm in is incredibly insular and also not very experimental.

most melbourne bands that bring audiences to pubs are very very basic psych rock or kind of brainless garage rock. there isn't much room for music made for the purpose of artistic or emotional expression in the underground pub scene in melbourne and i think the rest of australia as well.

the next tier up is the australian equivalency to the college radio scene. which also favours larrikin, beer slammin fun time garage bands and doesn't really allow much experimentation. bands that use a lot of jazz chords and make overrated jangle pop can also thrive in this scene but none of the music seems to really be about artistic expression or like have any emotions behind it. it's more of a cool thing to be in a band and get pissed and bang ur way through songs that take only 30 mins or so to write. australian "culture" is incredibly glorified by this scene which leads to a lot of bands pretending to be bogans or something. see "the chats" and "amyl and the sniffers".

the next tier up is JJJ which is so far removed from the underground that it's almost a joke at this stage. they like to go after bands that have already reached success and then be like "yup we did this see we are promoting underground bands just like we used to back in the 90s!" but it's all bullshit. also a lot of JJJ artists come from catholic private schools so their music is really radio friendly and they have fuckloads of connections right out the door.

above that is mainstream radio which only plays imports that are like top 40 globally.

tldr: there are shitloads of bands that are good or at least trying to do something interesting in australia but there is absolutely zero platform for them. it seems that there is no desire what so ever for any sort of experimental or interesting scene to form out of aus so scene does.

because its a great place to live mate, both great songs as well.

Wolfmother?

What Australian bands do you know?

Attached: low quality b8.jpg (600x600, 16K)

They're one of the only hip hop acts that actually put some good tracks on their albums past the hits. Stopping all stations isn't something you'd find on a bliss n eso album.

this place isn't very king to creative people or people that aren't in a scene for social reasons. thus creative introverts who actually have the possibility of making great stuff get shunned.

this. wish there was a platform for aussie musicians who want to experiment to voice their music. r u in a band?

The good thing about aussie bands is if they play at the right hours of the night it really doesn't matter what they're doing if there is a fair few people 40 and under there and you serve alcohol. At least, that's my experience. Might be different in a more up tight city.

Like, I've got mates who say they hate dadrock but there was this cover band and we lost our minds when they played freebird because we were pissed. A crowd of 20-25 year olds just having a fantastic time as these olds dudes kept covering old songs.

Highlight of the night was a drunk chick falling on some of the equipment and being kicked in the head by the bassist.

no i'm a neet solo autist

any links? also what city if u don't mind me askin.

i wouldn't say that's a good thing tho. sometimes i spend days and days rehearsing a cohesive set of original music with my band and on all the songs that are slightly quieter or have no drumming the crowd just starts talking over it or like sometimes i've even heard confused and angry muttering. i could just be a shit musician ahahah but the melbourne pub audience certainly doesn't help. the only good gigs are when the venue is loaded with like 18-24 year old arts students because they will at least be interested in the type of amps or synths ur using or something beyond just getting hammered.

wolfmother

i don't really want to link my links to this thread.

all i can say is that my type is not looked fondly upon here. I've been in and around the artsy scenes before. Unless you're extroverted or trendy there's a very low chance of being accepted in that crowd. To me the loner type musician here is not romanticised or valued in the same way as Britain and America. People in this country seem to want everything to be socially oriented. I am not saying I am some kind of genius. but this place is kind of tone deaf to the subtlety that creates good art. it seems everything needs to slot into a trend,be brash and obnoxious or a meme to make any kind of waves.

people are probably turned off by your arrogance and snobbery

how am I being arrogant?

hey i'm the dude who asked for a link. u don't seem arrogant or snobbish to me. i witness the aus music scene and completely get what you're saying. if ur from melb hopefully i run into u at a show one day.

>Tash Sultana
hahahahaha

Attached: 1499383338314.jpg (232x230, 6K)

I've been rediscovering this album lately, it's pretty great

Attached: 220px-Karnivool_Themata.jpg (220x220, 24K)

I like Angelspit

Attached: o_363970948_8456d04ce7e5029decf19f1deee396ae.jpg (854x1024, 201K)

I beg to differ.
Pic very much related!

Attached: Im_Stranded.jpg (400x400, 42K)

>this place is kind of tone deaf to the subtlety that creates good art
u got me
The industry and whats trendy is going to get in the way no matter where you are. Learn to work with it or self publish and hope your music can survive on its own merit.

bumkisser

bumkisser here
: (

Somehow read that as spoiderbait

>the next tier up is JJJ which is so far removed from the underground that it's almost a joke at this stage. they like to go after bands that have already reached success and then be like "yup we did this see we are promoting underground bands just like we used to back in the 90s!" but it's all bullshit. also a lot of JJJ artists come from catholic private schools so their music is really radio friendly and they have fuckloads of connections right out the door.

what about triple J unearthed tho, in particular just browsing their site which is filled with random cunts to check out?

Here's a fucking Australian who knows his country gifted the world one of the best fucking bands to ever happen. Love Gizzard so much.

I like them too - sometimes though I feel like they're aimlessly jamming.

Agents of Abhorrence are from Melbourne so at least you have them.

Aussie hip hop is still largely a joke, our cadence and accent doesn't suit it. Not to say there isn't enjoyable competent stuff here and there but it gives me a headache after about 15 minutes. You're never gonna get a 36 Chambers tier album coming out of Australia.

unearthed used to be great because the unearthed bands would actually get airplay but JJJ gives not a fuck about unearthed these days. people have to go searching through that fucking abysmally designed website to find stuff and no one really does. it's not common at all for bands to come up through unearthed these days. if JJJ stopped playing flume and Kendrick and played some local bands they would have such a huge impact and people would still listen as much if not more. but they are too busy trying to be some sort of home brand pitchfork circle jerk over a few artists who do more for JJJ than JJJ does for them.

Yup. creative NEETs in fartmerica think they have it bad.
Fuck off
Australian prog is straight up cringe

Ctrl f, no You Am I. Fuck me. You people sicken me. Never see absolute gold standards that could easily be Sup Forumscore like Hi Fi Way discussed around her.

im not a regular JJJ listener but I definitely get a similar impression - acts like that Amy Shark chick seem pretty forced on there - and Vance Joy too (to a lesser extent). I like that the Hottest 100 is mostly aussie music - but they certainly like to stick with that indie/reverb heavy sound.

i just think they are wasted potential. i've posted tracks on unearthed before. i even was approached and told to record a cute little radio ad for them so they could play it on their unearthed station. idek how to find the unearthed station. i think it's like a website streaming thing rather than actual radio. i was kind of excited when they approached me but nothing ever came of it because no one really listens to the unearthed station. it's almost like they just have it to humour underground artists ahaha.