What is GOTH music?

I'm writing a screenplay with a goth character in it. They probably listen to goth music.

What are good examples of goth music, help me out here Sup Forums

Attached: big tiddie.jpg (736x981, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY
youtube.com/watch?v=TnpwuRlXbhk
youtube.com/watch?v=jBD3w6__Dn4
youtube.com/watch?v=yoodNwr7RZE
youtube.com/watch?v=LHxS4O1R9pg
youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo
youtube.com/watch?v=UmFFTkjs-O0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ss9-KEbfksE
laformelente.bandcamp.com/album/various-circuit-dactes-1
laformelente.bandcamp.com/album/various-circuit-dactes-2
laformelente.bandcamp.com/album/various-circuit-dactes-3
youtube.com/watch?v=Lwf7DmM2TGM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Lil Peep

GIB

Maybe don't write a character that listens to music that you know nothing about. It's going to come off as super try hard and phoney.

if you mean Goth:
The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Xmal Deutschland, Clan of Xymox

if you mean "edgy thot with a septum piercing"

Attached: goth pof.png (829x955, 350K)

that's the point I'm trying to learn more. I need your big brains here

Killing joke, Bauhaus, christian death, sisters of mercy, alien sex fiend, joy division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the cure

youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY

youtube.com/watch?v=TnpwuRlXbhk

Attached: rozz williams.jpg (850x400, 56K)

Bauhaus, The Cure, Joy Division, Clan of Xymox, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Pale Waves, Skinny Puppy, Christian Death, Throbbing Gristle

Attached: b719a93cacc112e8d910ce4743af24e8.jpg (1024x1024, 246K)

then

Attached: goth gals.jpg (1600x1188, 162K)

is this song goth

youtube.com/watch?v=jBD3w6__Dn4

The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Xmal Deutschland, Clan of Xymox, Killing joke, Bauhaus, christian death, sisters of mercy, alien sex fiend, joy division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the cure, Bauhaus, The Cure, Joy Division, Clan of Xymox, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Pale Waves, Skinny Puppy, Christian Death, Throbbing Gristle, Lil Peep

Watch this from the ott man

youtube.com/watch?v=yoodNwr7RZE

thank you friends

You got some good replies in this thread that should help you. But when writing a character don't make the music they listen to their defining characteristic. Don't just write a goth character that wears black and listens to Sisters of Mercy, make them an actual character - that stuff is surface level and supplementary.

no, it entirely lacks post-punk sensibilities, but it sounds like a goth could appreciate it

>pale waves
>lil peep
delet this before I delet you

Attached: angery.jpg (396x350, 169K)

see

SOME OF THEM WERE LISTENING TO WHAM! DUDE

Attached: 1520958133248.jpg (736x1050, 81K)

Pale Waves is absolutely not goth.

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

KingCobraJFS

this

I want Heather Baron Gracie to spit in my mouth during intercourse!

based on your pic it's probably a mallgoth so nine inch nails, marilyn manson etc

vry this

Attached: barf.jpg (407x366, 155K)

Why would you think to put a "goth" character in your dumbass YA fiction tier screenplay if you don't even know anything about that music or group of people.
Is it really as shallow as "goth chicks are hot lol"?

Honestly "goths" don't even really exist.
Most of the people who dress like that don't listen to any of the stuff posted in this thread. Many of the musicians posted itt would reject the goth label. It's a stupid term that somehow links multiple groups of people who have almost nothing in common.

Also, maybe try drawing from personal experience and things you actually know about so your characters won't seem completely empty.

>Pale Waves
Subtle bait. Nice.

>Also, maybe try drawing from personal experience and things you actually know about so your characters won't seem completely empty.
This obviously, if you want to write some faggot characters, just lurk some more on the less savory boards on this website, should get some better inspiration than some list of "goth bands".

This. There's a goth festival near me but most of the people there don't like the sort of music posted in this thread, the just like wearing black wedding dresses and white facepaint and shit like that.

99% of "goths" are actually just clowns. Whereas people who like goth music are usually just regular people.

It's called growing as an artist user, you challenge yourself and then research.

Except OP isn't doing any of that, how is some generic teen drama featuring a "goth character" challenging him as a screenwriter?
That's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is an actual professional and not some 14 year old writing this shit during class btw

Which is the exact opposite of what he is doing in the OP.

Goth did used to be about music. But in 2018 its just a costume capitalism can sell you

At the time none of the original goth artists considered themselves goth and most hated the label, goth was always a fashion, it was kids taking the fashion of bands who didn't want to be associated with the label of goth

>professional
>writing about teens
>asking Sup Forums for advice

youtube.com/watch?v=LHxS4O1R9pg

>tfw no titcow goth gf

Attached: 1518776694508.gif (240x176, 912K)

Lucretia My Reflection

youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

trying to suggest stuff that hasn't been posted yet
>Cocteau Twins
>Dead Can Dance
>Death In June
>Type O Negative
>16 Horsepower
>Woven Hand
>The Dresden Dolls
>Combichrist (and others in the EBM/Dark Electro movement, like Nachtmahr, or whatever, those are rarely very good or original)
>Trisomie 21
>Black Marble

shes cute

Attached: tumblr_najskxSjsg1rgouxwo2_1280.jpg (960x1280, 301K)

>pale waves
better be premium bait

yeah no

not with all that flab and that ugly-ass underwear and those piercings

youtube.com/watch?v=UmFFTkjs-O0

kys neckbeard

please be bait

best goth album

Attached: type o negative- bloody kisses (gothic doom).jpg (600x597, 114K)

black kray

well my gf is a huge goth I guess ( she doesn't dress like it, shes more like those weirdo mori mori girls ) but I know her favorite bands are death in june, chris and coesy, type o negative, SPK, and coil. She is definitely /dark/ so take that as what you will.

Attached: 18120415_1588561937844199_1430716511_o.jpg (1296x640, 94K)

check out Communion After Dark's weekly podcasts
youtube.com/watch?v=Ss9-KEbfksE

>my gf is a huge goth
>she doesn't dress like it
>she doesn't listen to goth rock, only to 1 (one) gothic metal band and then a bunch of industrial and neofolk

Attached: confused Seska with question marks over her head.png (202x451, 32K)

so this is what industrial culture has been reduced to?

Attached: R-783958-1158410826.jpeg.jpg (298x300, 9K)

Good stuff. Adding
>The birthday party
>Chelsea Wolfe's first couple albums
>Virgin prunes
>Drab majesty
>Echo and the bunnymen
>Fields of nephilim
>The mortal coil

really a mixed bag, but their selections usually showcase quite well how darkwave and post-punk eventually evolved into electro-industrial, futurepop and aggrotech.

Blame Front 242, they spearheaded EBM's transition into house music

> you have to dress goth and exclusively listen to " goth " music to be /dark/
I fucking hate this underage board

that and autistic pants-shitters like Lingua Ignota and picrel

Attached: puce-mary-e1470147469638.jpg (1000x663, 96K)

You should only ever write Mary Sues, OP.

not exclusively to goth music, but I would say that, yes, dressing goth and listening to a bunch of goth rock / darkwave are the basic requirements for being goth.

How is that unreasonable?

The only goth band your girlfriend listen to (from what you've written) is Type O Negative. By that fucking standard I'm twice more goth than she is despite never having worn jewelry or seen The Cure live.

Attached: seska uh.png (322x372, 76K)

funny you say that because the book im reading now says that too. Although I do love me some EBM...

Attached: 51GUkYqNFBL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (332x499, 36K)

>Lingua Ignota
but that's good music

haven't read it, just listened to their music. Their late 80s output sounds a lot like early house music

It's what the damned wanted to do instead of punk

So is a lot of electro-industrial. Doesn't make the whole cybergoth thing any less tacky.

exactly

Attached: Jaime Stewart and Young Lean explore some runes.jpg (509x960, 97K)

>listens to Puce Mary once

Attached: seskaEEEEEEEK.png (359x325, 33K)

The Cure, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Vanishing. I don't know much goth rock, but ma lot of it comes from the darker side of post-punk and new wave.

at least they don't have plastic dreadlocks and soldering goggles
god, and to think I used to wear those

goggles are pretty neat, but yeah fake dreads are retarded

how fucking wrong can you be

goth is the most hipster revival heavy genre of all time

it even actually made a new genre of something that somewhat interesting with witchhouse, which has been kind of the few genuine new genres made post 2000

>drum machines make shitty music and are hard to use

I always thought this guy was fired from pitchfork for being too much of a malcontent but he's just full of BS

to stay on track
laformelente.bandcamp.com/album/various-circuit-dactes-1
laformelente.bandcamp.com/album/various-circuit-dactes-2
laformelente.bandcamp.com/album/various-circuit-dactes-3
I love these compilations, very good industrial/electro with a goth bend

and, by extension, most of what La Forme Lente puts out as a label, and the french podcast Saintes Waves

J O H N M A U S

O

H

N

M

A

U

S

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

wow you’re being really autistic about this and you don’t even know what he’s going to do with the character

he's right, though
you shouldn't build characters based on esthetic considerations, that just makes for shallow characters
then again, we know next to nothing of this character or how OP is going to treat them

>Pale Waves

You sly dog

shallow characters are tolerable if they're really really cool

besides, a visual design can absolutely serve as the starting point to come up with a character background. Like, you come up with something that looks cool, and then you write a story that explains how that character ended up looking cool.

it's risky but it's viable

Attached: Dark_Maul.png (653x816, 785K)

Kero Kero Bonito

I somewhat agree with you, but in OP's case, it's going to be a written format and it's incredibly hard to make a character look super cool without visual support
and since OP isn't even capable of doing his own research on goth music, I'm not entirely sure he's the brightest bulb in the pack, so better play it safe

So Sup Forums have you ascended to the thunder perfect mind?

Attached: a3435890645_16.jpg (700x700, 56K)

her name is moniicow btw

oh wait I'm retarded, it's a screenplay
regardless, it also depends heavily on the role of the character and how important they are to the plot

ive already taken the neo-folk pill long ago

Attached: b43f8b2cd4ef031ba5f1677bfccddc70--music-images-tibet.jpg (236x250, 13K)

>not taking the martial industrial pill instead
o shit son what are you doing??

Attached: huh.jpg (254x166, 65K)

what the fuck is with the avatarfagging you embarrassing faggot?

it's called reaction pics, they're tasteful and I heavily encourage you to save them and use them along with your best posts.

A goth character obviously listen to the national anthem of Goth
youtube.com/watch?v=Lwf7DmM2TGM

MILKY MILKY WARM AND TASTY!

MOMMY! MILKY! PLEASE BE HASTY!

REFRESHING DRINK FROM MOMMY'S UDDERS!

I WANT MOMMY'S AND NO OTHER'S!

GIVE IT! GIVE IT! GIVE IT NOW!

GIVE ME MILKY, LAZY SOW!

UNTIL YOU DO I'LL SCREAM I'LL SHOUT!

I'LL CRY I'LL WHINE AND STOMP ABOUT!

UNTIL MY BELLY IS FULL AND HAPPY!

I REFUSE TO TAKE NAPPY!

Not the guy youre responding to, but theres only so much Arditit/Triarii I cant take during the day until I need to hear something else. I mean the tone and ambience is great, but have you listened to two records in a row??
Neo Folk is at least diverse enough to listen to for a long period of time.

Attached: derbn.jpg (619x320, 21K)

>newfag this oblivious

yes, as a matter of fact I have for days on end.

Martial Industrial doesn't begin and end with trailer music. Do you even Von Thronstahl?

There are some questions that need to be asked before making an informed response.
First of all what do you mean with goth? Like original '80 post-punk goth? Or more like '00 corset-core gothic metal? In not really about the music tho, is about the subculture and the coherence with the character's personality traits. What's her age, what year is it? Is she into some magickal/wiccan/witchy stuff? Is she depressed? Is she nihilistic? Is she in it for the scene or she is a loner who find relief in music? If you provide more information about background and traits we could suggest a perfect musical match.

ISOLATED

this

he was right

If you mean actual Goth music then disregard anyone who posts Post-Industrial or Goth Metal.

goth: gothic rock (Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Fields of Nephilim), deathrock (Christian Death, 45 Grave), batcave (Alien Sex Fiend, Specimen, Sexgang Children), lo-fi goth (Zola Jesus, Blessure Grave, Grave Babies, Chelsea Wolfe), darkwave (Dead Can Dance, Black Tape for a Blue Girl)

goth-related: post-punk (Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Chameleons, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins), goth metal (Type O Negative, My Dying Bride), select punk bands (X, The Gun Club, The Damned), psychobilly (The Cramps, Nekromantix), dark pop (The Birthday Massacre), select industrial rock groups (Skinny Puppy, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult), post-punk revival (Interpol, White Lies, The Prids)

not goth: emo-pop (My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco, Aiden), metalcore (Motionless in White), nu metal

>Zola Jesus
>Chelsea Wolf
>Grave babies
Early 10s tumblr goff

> singling out one subgenre among many, that happens to be from the modern era
have fun being an edgy dork

Modern Goth is Drab Majesty, The KVB, PAWNS, Lebanon Hanover, Soror Dolorosa (the 2017 release was so cash), The Wraith, and The Soft Moon.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Evanescence yet