Internet Service Providers, Movie Studios Call It Quits on Copyright Alert System

>Major internet providers are ending a four-year-old system in which consumers received “copyright alerts” when they viewed peer-to-peer pirated content.

>The ISPs, studios, and record labels did not extend a pact that implemented the voluntary program, viewed as a way to fight piracy without the need for congressional legislation. When it debuted in 2013, it was viewed as a major new initiative to fight piracy, with Internet users subject to repeated notices if they continued to access infringing content. Those who ignored six or more multiple warnings faced possible penalties, including the slowing down of their Internet delivery, although the set of possible measures did not include having their Internet service cut off.

>Although no reason was given for ending the program, the MPAA, in a statement from its general counsel, indicated frustration at the inability to stop repeat infringers.

>“These repeat infringers are the ones who drive ongoing and problematic P2P piracy,” Steven Fabrizio, executive vice president and global general counsel at the MPAA, said in a statement. “In fact, an estimated 981 million movies and TV shows were downloaded in the U.S. last year using P2P. ”

>He said that the copyright alert system “was simply not set up to deal with the hard-core repeat infringer problem. Ultimately, these persistent infringers must be addressed by ISPs under their ‘repeat infringer’ policies as provided in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.”

>Years in the making, the copyright alerts were the result of a voluntary agreement between Internet providers — including Altice, Comcast and AT&T, Charter Communications and Verizon — and the MPAA and the Recording Industry Assn. of America. It was seen as a way to fight piracy via voluntary agreements rather than congressional legislation.

variety.com/2017/digital/news/copyright-alerts-piracy-mpaa-comcast-att-1201971756/

Thank you, Mr. President.

Love, Sup Forums.

>But forging an agreement took years, as ISPs had significant concerns over liability issues, as they would be in the position of penalizing some of their customers who failed to stop viewing pirated material.

>So as part of the ultimate agreement, the industry groups set up the Center for Copyright Information to administer the program, also set up a way for those who received notices to challenge them in a review by the American Arbitration Association.

>On Friday, the Center for Copyright Information issued a joint statement saying that “after four years of extensive consumer education and engagement, the Copyright Alert System will conclude its work.”

>“The program demonstrated that real progress is possible when content creators, Internet innovators, and consumer advocates come together in a collaborative and consensus-driven process,” the statement said. “CAS succeeded in educating many people about the availability of legal content, as well as about issues associated with online infringement. We want to thank everyone who put in the hard work to develop this program and make it a success, including past and present members of our Advisory Board. While this particular program is ending, the parties remain committed to voluntary and cooperative efforts to address these issues.”

>The system was based on the notion that many consumers are unaware that they are accessing infringing material, and would stop once they are informed.

>Fabrizio said that the copyright alert system did demonstrate that a “significant number” of users stopped accessing the pirated content, but said that “a persistent group of hard-core, repeat infringers are unlikely to change their behavior.”

>Another challenge was that the system applied only to P2P piracy, while the nature of copyright infringement has morphed into other areas like online streaming.

anyone who thought this was anything more than lip service was an absolute moron.

so is it ok to download movies from thepiratebay? i got one letter from my isp so i stopped but it sucks.

I'm guessing that if they actually find a way to stop illegal streaming and p2p sharing school shootings will skyrocket.

Does that mean those DMCA notices I got for BvS and Suicide Squad are now null and void?

Can I pirate again without caution?

BASED TRUMP

We truly live in the golden age. Muzzies stuck at home, free movies and games for everyone, liberals getting arrested in the streets. It's like America is great again.

You're a fucking moron for not using a VPN. Literally just use one and you will be 100% safe. Pirating new movies without one is like fucking cheap hookers without a condom. Playing with Fire.

Aren't VPNs essentially just another layer of ISP? I mean, paid VPNs are legit companies that will follow the same procedures if they find you're using their service to pirate.

I didn't want to buy 1, but I was considering it for a while. But nothing good has came out in the past few months so I haven't bothered

No, it means instead of getting a limpwristed "plz no pirate" letter you're actually going to get sued again.

You're a moron.

Literally no one cares. The MPAA can't get your information without a warrant. The ISP doesn't give a fuck. This was nothing but lip service to keep the MPAA from being able to say ISPs were complicit.

No, it means you'll get sued or go to jail. They're stopping the bullshit measures that didn't lead to anything, and going back to Napster days.

>The MPAA can't get your information without a warrant.
Which are pretty fucking easy to obtain by corporations with large legal teams.

ISP's have started shutting down service to repeat offenders. That's a pretty big deal. I doubt that's in effect anymore now that the measures have fallen though.

so can you torrent shit and not get fined sued or not in usa or not

They've already gone down that road. Multi-billion dollar a year corporations suing soccer moms and kids for more money than those people will ever see in five lifetimes over a small handful of songs did absolutely nothing to even slow down piracy and just made the corporations look like belligerent bullies.

This isn't a good thing. They're going to crackdown on streaming and private trackers:

are you me. i've been looking into getting a VPN, but I don't really want to get in trouble again, and I don't know how much they can sniff my packets??

just been streaming from primewire and using my mom's amazon prime account

And the cost-benefit is negative.

Get ready to be handed a higher court sentence than a murderer.

>Can I pirate again without caution?

yes

Yes

They're just getting rid of the Alert System, they still intend to prosecute. Just now you're not getting any warnings.

Just don't seed. The MPAA watchdog peers got in huge amounts of shit when people realized they uploaded petabytes of infringing material to people. So now they can only leech.

Meaning if you don't seed, they can't connect to you.

Wow America slowly becoming great again day by day

I'm baffled by our progress

I've never bothered with a vpn, but I have tons of warnings every time I open my isp email. But this has been going on for like 5 years.

Is it actually important? and if so what is the best vpn for piracy? I know you have to pay for the good ones.

>they still intend to prosecute

They've already tried that. It failed. They were spending millions in legal fees to sue poor people.

I don't believe you

Anyone here who thinks this is going to resurrect the old horrors of the Napster era is deluded and paranoid. They tried that once. It did absolutely nothing and made everyone despise them. If they're declaring the strikes system, which successfully spooked most normies into backing off of torrenting entirely, a failure...it either means they're giving up or they've got a new method we haven't seen before in their pockets. My guess is an encryption that muddles pirated data like the new video game anti-piracy system.

Everyone started to pirate media out of spite. The music industry collapsed. That's why so many singers are so desperate to get on those singing competition reality shows.

The movie and tv people better figure it out, or they will end up lower than twitch streamers.

You mean the era of going out of our ways to download terabytes of whatever material people get sued over, to spite the corporate bodies who think they can scare people away from the future?

>They tried that once.
Yeah, it failed way back in the 90s before all data about everyone went into a single system. Now they can just get it, without warrants, without court orders, without anything, and simply bill you for thousands of dollars without paying lawyers or anything, all on a corporate/government level. Similar system is already in the EU.

Why would you post bullshit like that?

Okay, what's a good, cheap and trustworthy VPN?

where can i find info on potential legal consequences of downloading stuff in usa

No where. Because there are none.

sigh, time to go back underground to the p2p days of soulseek, I guess

>DUDE YOU NEED A VPN TO PIRATE LMAO

>JUST BUY ONE ITS SAFE

its an absolute mystery as to who is behind these posts.

Yeah, They won't prosecute individuals because it's a PR disaster and doesn't accomplish much. Most likely they'll sue ISPs to force them to drop pirates.

Funny how people that have been using VPN's have been completely safe for the last decade or more while idiots who go in without them get letters or lawsuits.

But I'm sure (((they))) have SOMETHING planned, right? Lmao you fucking moron.

mfw I'm brazilian and never had to worry about it.

Don't all the trackers just ban leachers?

They've been doing this over the last few years already. Repeat offenders that blow past the sixth strike get their service shut down by their ISP, either temporarily or in rare cases permenantly. It's a hardball game. I'd be surprised if they opened with such an extreme tactic though, the ISP's would never go along with it.

Good. The sooner the leftist media machine dies the better.

>tfw I started torrent hoarding in 2009 and now have 3TB worth of movies and TV shows, more than I'll probably be able to watch in my lifetime

Frankly I thought torrenting would be pretty much shut down by 2015

same

Private Internet Access works for me. It's only $50 a year.

>never bothered with a VPN
>never a single letter
>the only time I got a letter is when configuration got screwed up and shit started uploading
>fix it, never a letter again, no matter what

VPNs do nothing.

IS ANYONE ELSE TIRED OF WINNING?

No.

I bet you only leech faggot

They're legally required to. TFA was saying this deal was a way for them to get around it.

Same here, but I have 40TB.

Really? I remember I had a problem a few years ago when I was only leaching and then suddenly all of my torrents just stopped downloading.

> Get rid of the shitty voluntary system.
> So they can implement a harsher congressional approved system.

Kek. Good luck Amerilards.

So you don't seed at all? And you really got a letter when you started seeding?

BASED TRUMP DOES IT AGAIN

>cheap
>trustworthy

pick one

Fuck yeah, it's time to download a car

This is untrue. The agreement was entirely voluntary and for now nothing replaces it. Now any and all interaction will be through notices sent to ISP's that they can choose to forward or ignore. It's flimsy at best.

Did I stutter or something?

It will be the exact same system, but with a legal requirement to forward the notices. I guarantee it. The ISPs simply wanted to save money by discontinuing it before the corporatist republicans in congress helped push their shit through.

>Now any and all interaction will be through notices sent to ISP's that they can choose to forward or ignore.

... so the exact same thing as before?

Don't be a paranoid assclown. They've given up on punishing end users and are instead going to focus efforts on taking down distributors like piratebay, kickass, etc.

Even better.

Trump, Miller, and Bannon are obviously wise to the centers and institutions of leftist power.

Including Hollywood.

And gosh, it would be a real shame if the DOJ and FBI had to reassign all their copyright people to handle immigration enforcement.

Just imagine what that would do to the bottom lines of all those studios.

A real shame.

If it costs a single cent to implement, the ISPs will fight it tooth and nail.

He's a god damn madman

Absolute madman

Exactly the same, but without the framework lmao. The system was useless. They've given up on it entirely is my take.

I'm on my 5th warning and apparently the 6th is the final one. This could not have come at a better time.

I did start using a VPN at some point. I guess it just craps out every now and then.

I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF WINNING

USA USA USA

BASED FUCKING TRUMP BRINGING THE HAMMER DOWN

What a stupid theory.

Considering citizens united means any sort of congressional legislation is an arms race between who wants to spend the most money to get something jammed through congress.

PIA is a good way to start considering it's incredibly easy to use, though I've heard some people need more than that to be 100% safe.

Hollywood hasn't needed the govt's help to fall apart, user. The big 5 studios, aside from Disney, have been slowly collapsing since the turn of the Century. Mostly due to the internet becoming a competitive and consumer preferred platform for entertainment. Less people go out to theaters less often and right now the system is being propped up on Chinese dollars.

Stop with that Fascist bullshit about Trump trying to take down private organizations. The President shouldn't choose which businesses to support and which shouldn't thrive (as long as they're not doing anything illegal), you fucking retard.

>Now any and all interaction will be through notices sent to ISP's that they can choose to forward or ignore.

Ignore saves an ISP money.

So guess which one they will pick.

>it would be a real shame if the DOJ and FBI had to reassign all their copyright people to handle immigration enforcement.

Based TRUMP.

FUCK YES.

so when does this dropping of the Six Strikes take effect? right now...?

>never bought into "blu ray hd quality"
>dvd was such an upgrade from vhs, that it's ok for me
>also better selection for old movies
>literally thousands of movies in an external nas hard drive

Anyone else have a backlog so large, that they stopped bothering even playing video games?

Haven't played anything in years, Civ 5 was the last game I played regularly.

>pretty fucking easy to obtain by corporations with large legal teams
go read slashdot to see how that worked out for them in court

Maybe the law is still fuzzy on this but I don't think they legally can ignore the requests under the DMCA.

>Trump
>helping hollywood

He crushed TPP already, he is no friend of (((media)))

PIA is great

If money alone bought legislation and elections, we'd have Clinton in the Rose Garden signing the TPP right about now.

If Hollywood didn't want politics to get involved with them, then Hollywood shouldn't have gotten involved in politics.

Or if you'd prefer, I'm sure Meryl Streep and the SAG can explain that in an acceptance speech for you.

They'll be sure to find the bare minimum number of requests they have to forward per quarter.

Can't remember the last time I was proud to be American

>if money alone bought legislation and elections, we'd have Clinton in the Rose Garden signing the TPP right about now.

You're a smart lad. You should be able to figure that out.

Fucking Hollywood over in this situations helps the telecoms, and if there's one thing congressmen love it's sucking telecom dick.

tl;dr

>going to jail for shitty ass DC movies
kek

All telecoms except verizon are owned by hollywood studios or own hollywood studios.

And (((they))) own all of it. It's a puppet show. (((They))) make money either way. With this system we get free shit so I'm not complaining.

"Was coming on my face part of your plan?" is one of my biggest sexual fantasies.

>(((they)))

Your paranoid bullshit just makes everything you're saying look absurd.

Which I suspect is your intent.

STOP TELLING ME TO GET A VPN
H-E-L-L-O
PAYING FOR SOMETHING DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF PIRATING, DUMBASSES!!

Paying $9/month ain't shit
Get fucked poorfag

VPN is just an added layer of encryption around your communication, it won't hide the end points. Use a proxy with VPN, so the endpoints are obscured as well as the content being encrypted, so the ISP doesn't know what it is passing you. Use a proxy in another country, then any media company would have to negotiate with international courts to get your IP turned over.

It's an investment you fucking autist. You pay $30 for a year with PIA and download tens of thousands of dollars worth of media behind its protection.

>No, it's necessary.

Is there more Interstellar posting that goes on before this?

>Calexit happens
>Trump legalizes piracy of films by studios in California

>The system was based on the notion that many consumers are unaware that they are accessing infringing material, and would stop once they are informed.

lol