Holy shit

holy shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GXfhO5vkWXg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I never understood why this was so widely panned by critics

>The French version is better ever so slightly

Basically because it's pointless. Virtually shot for shot remake of the original from what I understand. (I'll be honest I haven't seen the original)

Why did Haneke do it?

Michael Pitt's a good actor. Is it true he's hard to work with and that's why you never see him in anything?

>Why did Haneke do it?
if I remember right his initial goal for the original was to make an American style horror movie and later on in his career he was able to make it a real American Horror movie.

Why Haneke thought this was in the style of American horror I have no idea.

>Funny Games
>not very funny

Give me a rundown, Halpert

Because it's more believable that Americans would do it. We're pretty fucked up.

If you actually liked that, check out knock knock with keanu

The French actors I found more convincing. It was almost exactly the same. There were some slight spatial changes in the scene where the wife finds the dead dog, which I again liked the original better. Mind you the kind of characters the "villains" were emulating were much more American in type. Strange.

This is the best "meta" kind of film I can think of right now. It's a great metaphor for the director's relationship with the audience in the horror genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=GXfhO5vkWXg
best intro song ever

Do people really get mad when a movie flips the script?

I fucking love having my exceptions subverted, Audition is another one, still having nightmares about that one.

>want to critique pointless violence in films
>make a film about pointless violence

I appreciated it for what the director was going for, Its simultaneously one of the most fucked up movies I've seen and one of the most boring.

>oh you want to see a movie about a family being tortured, fine here's 2 hours of a family being tortured
>The director thinks you are a terrible person for liking this type of movie.

But that's not the "type" of movie I liked. I liked a really well directed, VERY well acted movie with a pretty distinct message that didn't hesitate to make use of its very nature as a film. I wish movies were more willing to toy with audiences than they are-"immersion" is understood too simply by most directors. You can successfully immerse audiences in the process, in the message, in the characters themselves by acknowledging the 4th wall, which is one of the most obvious literary techniques but one that, when employed correctly, does wonders.

Same thing In Batemans final monologue, speaking to the audience. Odd how two of the most effective uses of this have been in "horror" films, but I'll maintain that the genre as a whole
Is one of the most ripe for experimentation, in terms of both aesthetics and theme. Just compare it follows and Alien.

>boring

Really? I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, fucking tense as fuck.

How can it be tense knowing that the villains literally cannot lose?

no

Because you don't actually know that until the end.

That's not even an attempt at pasta. That was the real me.

So basically you're saying it's the kind of film that can only be enjoyed once?

Can any film be enjoyed more than once if tension is a prerequisite? There's a lot to like beyond that I'd say, though I'm not sure it would get "better" in the way you might mean.

>French

9/10 bait

You act like that's a bad thing. You're just looking for comfy movies. Comfy movies are comfy because we know the outcome.

In his defense it has a point. The point is that you're supposed to feel bad for seeking out and consuming this type of media.

>dat knife in the boat

But it's not about pointless violence. It's about watching pointless violence.

there's a distinct difference between (insert any shitty slasher) and funny games- both in terms of just the movie and what it's saying. You think you've got him in some irony trap but you don't, because by its very nature of commenting on violence in media it distinguishes itself from violent media. If you don't think that distinction is clear enough, then alright, but I think you can just look at the fuckin movie and see that it's not like a good chunk of the horror genre. So this is a false comparison.

IF that is Haneke's point, then he did a much better job of it than Oliver Stone's ham-fisted Natural Born Killers.