Star Trek: First Contact

>start having an interest in Star Trek
>go through all the series and movies
>avoid watching this for years because of RLM review
>finally watch it
>it's fucking excellent despite the flaws

HOW CAN ANYONE HATE THIS?

Reviewers are useless and have suspect taste, just like everybody else. You have to make your own decisions by watching it.

Also, tell me about your sexual organs.

It's one of the most enjoyable films ever made and the perfect gateway to Star Trek, it's what I always show people who don't like Trek and it always gets them to reconsider.

The only reason people, including Mike, don't like it is that it fucks up Piccards character and plays fast and loose with the sci-fi elements. Also it introduces the Queen which weakens the Borg as an idea but makes the movie 100x times better than it woulda been.

I'm not aware anyone does

>trusting Mike "TFA was everything I wanted it to be Rogue One is worse than the prequels" Stoklasa

wew lad

Saw this movie the first week it came out with my dad. Good times.

I enjoyed this, it's probably the best TNG movie.

I wish TNG had a huge storyline with the Borg like DS9 had the Dominion War

true, that's not a high bar tho

First Contact is garbage, the RLM review barely even covered the Zefram Cochrane side of the story too, which IMO is even weaker than the Borg side.

People only like it because the Borg are in it, that's it. It feels like two separate movies with how disconnected the plots of the Borg attack on the Enterprise and the team on the ground helping Zefram Cochrane who are completely unaware of the Borg attack on the ship for the entire movie are.

The whole Zefram Cochrane plot is just boring. He's got a lot of historical significance to the in-universe characters, but to us he's just the fictional character who invented the warp drive. Who cares that we get to see him? Wow, he's kind of a schlubby guy who likes to drink and listen to rock, how unexpected! I didn't even have a strong conception of him in the first place to be subverted.

As far as the borg plot goes I don't even think I need to explain how the queen ruins the Borg and how out of character Picard is because other people have done it before me and better.

All of the TNG films are just terrible.

It's ok but it's not Star Trek, it absolutely ruins the Borg, captain Picard acts out of character half the movie, and all good things was literally the perfect ending and they should never have made these movies

>I didn't even have a strong conception of him in the first place to be subverted.
spot the casual

>The whole Zefram Cochrane plot is just boring. He's got a lot of historical significance to the in-universe characters, but to us he's just the fictional character who invented the warp drive. Who cares that we get to see him? Wow, he's kind of a schlubby guy who likes to drink and listen to rock, how unexpected! I didn't even have a strong conception of him in the first place to be subverted.

decent flick that destroys the borg continuity

5/10

He's in like one TOS episode, big deal.

>one wiki search later
wew lad

Borg + pew pew is all I needed, and that's what I got. Good movie.

I've see the episode but I forgot because he's portrayed so differently he might as well be a completely different character.

That sounds like... an expectation that was subverted!

>HOW CAN ANYONE HATE THIS?
Its a bad star trek movie, and a lame sci fi action movie.

>people still can't work out that RLM reviews are meant to be comedy

Then why do people spout opinions they heard from them, oh wise one?

because they can't work out they are meant to be comedy

It's an alright sci-fi action film, but ruins a lot of elements from TNG, such as Picard, the Borg Queen, etc.

Those are all very good reasons not to like First Contact.

And yet, yes it is the best gateway Trek to entice noobs because they will comfortably ignore all these flaws.

Well for those of us who have always watched Trek we were expecting Peter Weyland, not some drunk who is afraid to fly.

It's a Star Trek meme

other memes are

>Kirk was a renegade that followed no rules!
>Kirk banged people all the time!
>Picard was a pacifist!
>VOY is worst Star Trek!
>DS9 is what Star Trek should have always been!
>ENT is worse than everything!
etc.

First Contact was positively received when it came out but people now want to rewrite history just like claiming that the prequels were flops no one liked

The format is comedic but the reviews are not

The criticisms are so bad it may as well be comedic.

The Zephram character works because he's a subversion of the other characters expectations not the audience's. There's a delightful tension in discovering that all their enlightened, future ideals came about because of this very flawed and human character. Zephram, along with Lilly, is the audience surrogate character reacting at first with cynicism to these future people and their values but gradually becoming convinced by them, which is what makes it a perfect movie for getting people into Trek.

"Secretary, tell me about your emails."

Only contrarians think the movie was less than great.

Voyager is the fifth-best Star Trek.

How exactly does first contact picard differ from tng picard?

I really like his character in the show. I don't wanna watch this movie if it's gonna ruin the character in some way. I'm kinda autistic like that. If it changes the idea of what I think Picard is like I won't be able to go back and enjoy the show without it being tainted.

>TNG
Picard: I hate the Borg, let's kill them all.
Crusher: Wait, the Borg aren't all bad.
Geordi: Wait, the Borg aren't all bad.
Guinan: Wait,the Borg aren't all bad.
Picard: Okay, you've convinced me. Let's make efforts to live in peace with the Borg.

>First Contact
Picard: I hate the Borg, let's kill them all. Yippee ki-ay, motherfuckers! (fires machine gun angrily)

It works with and without the ST label perfectly. It's basically that film, that the garbage trilogy ST 11-13 tried to be.

Hugh wasn't assimilating the crew and using their reanimated corpses to try and erase his species from existence, Picard isn't a moron, he would have done exactly the same thing to Hugh if he was posing the same present threat as the infestation on his ship did.

>my opinion is fact
Who's the comedian now?

Picard would have treated Hugh like a threat, but I don't think he would flip out and scream and smash shit like he did in First Contact.

this was my first "old trek" movie, it really sold me into watching the rest

i'm finishing TOS, don't know if i'm goiing to watch TAS, but I'll watch the first 6 movies after that

I've watched all the rest (TNG (and all 4 movies), VOY, DS9, ENT)

Why do people act like it's such a bad stretch, his ship and half his crew are gone at that point and as desperate as that situation is he still goes back to quoting literature a fucking minute later.

>First Contact
>excellent
KEK all the TNG films are trash and why you waste your time on them is beyond me, underage.

also the entire future of humanity was at stake more than ever so he had a reason to be more aggressive

people always forge that Picard in the shpw was ready to resort to violence without problem when it was there was no alternative

>HE HAS AN OPINION REEEEEE
Rogue One was shit you degenerate.

Reminder that the best Star Trek film is The Voyage Home.

If you answer isn't either Wrath or Search you are a contrarian who wants to fit in.

all the TNG movies are better than any original fagot series movies

>Search
But most of the fandom has a negative opinion of that.
>contrarian who wants to fit in
I don't even know how to respond to this.

The Motion Picture
>Bad
Wrath of Khan
>Good
Search For Spock
>Bad
The Voyage Home
>Good
The Final Frontier
>Bad
Undiscovered Country
>Good

Generations
>Bad
First Contact
>Good
Insurrection
>Bad
Galaxy Quest
>Good
Nemesis
>Bad

Star Trek
>Good
Into Darkness
>Bad
Guardians of the Galaxy
>Good
Beyond
>Bad

>doesn't understand that being contrarian is the lifeblood of this autistic board
>doesn't realize that most Trekkies enjoy Search and consider it top 3 at best.
Tell me how I know you are a tourist in every sense of the word.

>The Motion Picture is bad
Let me guess rebbitor, is it le boring?

>most Trekkies enjoy Search
You're not familiar with the "Odd movies are bad, even movies are good" meme?

It's paced all wrong. They made a long episode of the show instead of a movie

Yes, it is a meme.

>It's paced all wrong.
you were bored because you are underage

That is exactly why it was good. Story doesn't work as well as a standalone if you tried to work it as a full-length, like the others.

It's also a very popular meme. As in, believed by the majority of Trekkies.

>t. 15 year old who thinks memes inform reality
Family of 1st gen Trekkies from the 60s on. No, "they" do not hate Search. Nobody shits on it like they shit on Final Frontier.

>hate
>shits on
Maybe not, but the majority of the fandom doesn't think that it's in the Top Three either.

>t. 15 year old who thinks memes inform reality
I'm not disputing the quality of the film itself.

I'm calling you out for insisting that everybody who doesn't have Search in their Top Three is a contrarian, even though the majority of the fandom disagrees.

It's true the Borg queen kinda ruins the Borg but it's worth it for the opening scenes. The Bridge listening to the battle radio chatter is one of my favourite Star Trek scenes.

>the majority of the fandom agrees
But it doesn't. That's the point.

There is no Borg in Search for Spock

yea I was lazyposting and forgot to cut the quote.

Exactly, the majority of the fandom doesn't agree with you.

So you're calling others contrarians even though you're the one with a contrarian opinion.

Next time you're upset that people don't share your opinions, just call those people "plebs" or "tourists" instead. That way, no one can challenge you, because those buzzwords are much more vague and meaningless than "contrarian".

The majority of the fandom does not hate Search though. Maybe kiddos who watched them recently, but none of the major sentiment from older fans regards the movie to be as bad as you want to pretend it is. It honestly seems like a minority of people who dislike Search. Most hate is directed to the TNG films. Only place those turds are defended is here....

Really makes my neurons firarino.

"Hate"? Maybe not. I would wager that most of the fandom has it as their #5, #6 or #7 favorite.

But you insisted that anybody without it as their #1 or #2 favorite is a contrarian.

So you were the contrarian after all.

>Really makes my neurons firarino.
I really hope so.

Fine maybe not top 3 then. I will concede that point. Caught me off guard with a real conversation here.

It's one of the best Star Trek films. RLM is trash.

Final Frontier is better than Wrath of Kahn.

>rehashed plot
>Kirk is an asshole that gets people killed

You shut your whore mouth.

>Kirk is an asshole that gets people killed

Ever heard of red shirts?

People die in Star Trek

First Contact had a great opening theme

Undiscovered Country is better than both combined, and the high point of Star Trek in both films and shows.

This is objectively correct, no matter how much it asspains you.

Rehashed from what you dumb faggot

A lot of Trekkies can't stand blatant inconsistencies, even though they're everywhere in Star Trek, and the portrayal of the Borg in First Contact (and VOY) is inconsistent with what we see in TNG, mostly because of the introduction of the Queen. A lot of the people who don't like First Contact are likely also the sort who will bitch about how Khan shouldn't have recognized Chekov in The Wrath of Khan.

No it isn't, but here is your (you)

>the sort who will bitch about how Khan shouldn't have recognized Chekov in The Wrath of Khan.

That's literally explained, Khan had to wait for him to get out of the bathroom.

What's really stupid is Chekov recruiting crew as nurses in the other movie because Kelly couldn't be bothered to return as Bones

The Motion Picture is a rehashed remake of the TOS episode "The Changeling", you dumb casual.

I like it tremendously. In fact, I like Generations (because I'm not an autistic TOS fag) and my favorite is Nemesis. RLM just had a bee in their bonnet.

then why are they fine with what klingons were turned into?

Unironically my favorite trek movie. Closing this thread now

I WILL MAKE THEM PAY

ITT: Fat Nerds like something. Feel the need to categorize it from best to worst. Just like the list of fast food drive thrus they'll be hitting on the way home.

And Galaxy Quest?

Because there's at least an attempt of an explanation for it now. Back in the day when it just kind' of happened there were people that took issue.

>casual
Kekamus maximus

What about it?

RAMMING SPEED!

>they'll be hitting on the way home.

You mean that grandma will be walking too?

>Where NOMAD has gone before

can you really call it an explanation? it's more like delusional autism

Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country are both better than Wrath of Khan and Search For Spock.

but it is

It's the best explanation we're ever gonna get. For people that don't know it, basically TOS Klingons are Klingons that had some sort of mutation that mixed them with human DNA and the Klingons in the following things are the true pure blooded Klingons.

No. But it is okay to be wrong.

Why it's not on the list, mouthbreather?

You should feel free to apologize at any time.

>SMASHES LITTLE ENTERPRISES

What did Q think when he saw that?

>avoid watching this for years because of RLM review