Unappreciated horror movies

Let's talk about those horror/thriller movies that doesn't get too much attention, maybe because they aren't critically acclaimed or they were panned by critics but you still like them.

I start with Vacancy (2007).
I really liked the idea of a couple being trapped in a set of a snuff film. Bad luck the Direct-to-DVD sequel was mediocre.

i liked both

Kill-List

I don't even need to say anything, ones who saw it will know why

Whenever I say this I'm accused of trolling, but I honestly consider this a very well made horror movie.

I liked this desu. That ending was cool. Kinda spooky in a way.

Passed by under everyone's radar.

I guess this was initially mis-marketed as a psychological drama, which it absolutely isn't.

I think the Evil Dead remake gets way more hate than it deserves. In a sea of forgettable screamer scare shit, it really was an outstanding horror experience.

the consensus is that's it's pretty good though isn't it

i enjoyed it

I think the Feast series is criminally underrated, especially Feast 1.

OP McFaggot here.
I also wanted to recommend The Collector and the sequel.
Pretty nice slasher flicks with a good dose of blood and gore.
In short, it's like Home Alone but with deadly traps, which is COOL.

>Rogue
Mah nigga, I really enjoyed that one.

I only watched the first one and I loved it, are the sequels good enough?

why watch this when you can watch the wicker man

Rogue was really good.

I have to watch BW now. Thanks.

>are the sequels good enough?
They are very different in tone and production quality (much lower budget), but they don't pull any punches when it comes to gore or "tastelessness". I found them very enjoyable.

By the way, if you liked the Collector movies, you should check out Laid to Rest and Chromeskull.

Splinter (2008) is breddy gud

Better than people give it credit for. This and "Stitches" are probably the only legitimately good killer clown movies released in over a decade.

The Boy

I have a thing for that kind of movie (Bad Ronald, Crawlspace, etc.) so that may be why I liked it so much.

The Lazarus Effect. Non-gory Re-Animator rip-off, but not that bad.

Crimson Peak was great, but not horror. It was a gothic romance, and a really good one.

The Final Girls. Horror-comedy drama. Great. I loved it so fucking much. I wouldn't personally call it horror, but I'm autistic that way.

Stage Fright. Musical comedy. It was good, and more horror than comedy unlike The Final Girls.

We Are What We Are. Not as good as the original, but a worthy remake.

Cool, I'll watch them and thanks for the recommendations, pal.

Kind of a forgotten gem. It's a vampire movie set in the mafia milieu. Basically, this vampire chick bites a mafia boss with the intent to kill him, but he manages to escape before she can finish him off, so he turns into a vampire mafioso who plans to "convert" his entire gang.

Great effects, interesting story and just about the best performance by Robert Loggia you'll ever see. If you like that guy, you should watch it even if you hate horror or vampires or both.

As Above So Below

Found footage regular bullshit, story's nothing special, and i hate the ending

That being said, the atmosphere it presents is fantastic and engrossing.

Anthology film with one of the the most clever and hilarious segments I've ever seen in any anthology film.

The entire film is great except for the spotty cgi in the beginning, but "The Accident" is the high point.

First and last segment were directed by "Radio Silence" who did the Halloween segment in V/H/S, and "The Accident" segment was made by David Bruckner who directed "Amateur Night" (I LIKE YOU) in V/H/S.

>the Halloween segment in V/H/S
Which one was that again?

It was good.

Why are horror movie fans on Sup Forums so, paradoxically, chill?

>A group of men, heading to a remote village to help one of their friends get over his divorce, soon discover that all the women have been infected with a virus that makes them man-hating cannibals.

It's not actually as gender-humor-based as it sounds. It's more along the lines of Shaun of the Dead, but more horror-oriented. Seems like no one took note of this when it came out.

We actually like the movies we talk about.

Why are you such a faggot?

Decent slasher film about the Texarkana murders. I should get around to watching the original t b h

I remember some cheesy green eyes for the vamps... maybe I'm wrong, it's been years since I saw it. Fuck, I'm old, I saw in the theatre.

The cinematography was really good in that one. It's a better movie if you've seen the first one, even if it's not exactly a true sequel.

>I should get around to watching the original t b h
That one's a very mixed bag. Not just in terms of quality, but also in terms of tone. It's a little bit slasher, a little bit cop story, a little bit goofy comedy and a little bit True Crime serial killer drama. I've seen it listed as an essential horror movie, but I would disagree.

We enjoy watching movies, pal.
Almost everyone on Sup Forums is just a hater or a pretentious prick, and it's nice to have a thread for guys who only want to talk about fun movies for a while.

I recommend you guys the Maniac remake (2012). Elijah Wood does a really nice performance there.

my favorite. fucking love this shit.

Best horror of the last 5 years probably
Found footage done right

Horror comedy (vaguely) similar to Severance. Fell victim to poor marketing as the US publisher overemphasized its horror angle and the EU publishers made it look like a silly gigglefest.

This is also great, like Cabin in the Woods but actually good, delivers the message better and isn't for plebs
This was pretty good, got chills few times

That goes a long way to explaining it I suppose. Also checked.

oh, you. Also checked.

ohh, so close

First thing I thought about was that other one with the same title which takes place in a subway

The ending was shit (for me), but it didn't ruin the movie. The rest of the film was good.

I like Julianne Moore, I'll check this out.

My vote goes to The Borderland, aka The Final Prayer. It's comfy acting and setting belies a ton of spook. One thing not many people realise is that when the cameras glitch something creepy happens, even just for a moment as the entity sends out psychic signals.

I watched this like week ago and honestly it's overrated as hell, it's very disjointed and doesn't really say anything, the violence made me feel sick though so I guess that was pretty effective. And I can see how people would love the movie for the ending but it was a huge let down to me personally.
I just realized how hilariously bad all the Resolution posters are, though might have been intentional.

Underappreciated Cronenberg

I loved it, the guy wanting to believe the creep is a decent guy and forgiving him was so effective.

Another hilariously bad poster, great movie though I wouldn't really even call it horror, Lynch vibes towards the end and heavy on atmosphere.

Foreign Edition:

5150 Elm's Way (French-Canada)
Inspired by Misery, but not just a rip-off.

In My Skin (France)
self-mutilation really got to me, that kind of gore usually doesn't faze me, but self-inflicted like that? FUUUUUUUUUU
It's a really good character study too.

The Nameless (Spain)
That one's a little older (1999)

This was pretty good as well, nothing new or amazing but still decent watch, ending was predictable and and kinda bad though.

The last one with the haunted housd

Jug Face. A secluded, somewhat backwards community worships a mysterious pit in the woods to which they sacrifice their own people.

It's similar to The Village in some ways, but not dependent on any twists. It's just a very bizarre movie with weird characters and an unusual premise. I liked it a lot just for being something different.

And very similar to this in setting
Douglas Russel and Liam Cunningham made this movie, worth it just to see their great performances.

Is that Shivers? Nice.

I prefer Rabid. I have an unhealthy love for that film.

I saw this fully expecting it to be a Sup Forums cireclejerking cringefest, but it was actually a lot of fun and even kinda' clever.

Yeah, goes by the two names apparently, I like the more classic horror movie sound of "They came from within" though
Yet to watch Rabid myself, the only horror Cronenberg I haven't seen.

I think Dead Silence is the most solid throwaway horror movie I've never seen anyone post about.

didn't read the thread, but I'll mention Society if only for the shunting

>Last Shift
That poster put me off for a while. I expected some garbage like The Devil Within, but of course it's nothing like that. Just a nice little spook movie.

Yeah, the acting's fucking great in this one.

I agree. The only thing I didn't care about in the movie (very VERY minor detail) was the cgi of the puppet's mouth in the hideout scene. Too cartoony.

I wouldn't call it underappreciated since it is a cult classic, but yeah, that third act is brilliant.

At the time it came at least, it was so fucking cliche it hurt, creepy setting and jumpscares everywhere, personally I feel like it's really worth your time if you are a huge James Wan fan.

Yep, this was good

Actually quite enjoyed this movie.

based Vinnie Jones

Probably more remembered, if at all, for being the reason why Jackson's Braindead had to be re-titled in the US, this is actually a really creative movie about a neuroscientist whose research leads him down a path of outlandish insanity... OR DOES IT?

If you are a fan of 70s horror you need to watch We Are Still Here (2015), y'all gonna love it.

Oh boy, this movie was fucking mental.

Looks awesome, pal. I'll add it to my list.

>We Are Still Here (2015)
Yeah, good stuff.

This is a personal favorite of mine. I love the objective third person feel it has, and i love the dialogue

This and its remake don't get the love they deserve. The movies are tonally different enough to be both worth a watch.

what was the name of the movie which
>was made fairly recent
>goes for 80s feel (along with some film grain)
>had that fat kid with glasses who smoked weed
>was actually really good
? thanks

This tells me nothing, to be honest. What was it about?

Stitches was horrible

The Pack.

Surprisingly decent horror from Australia.

I think the film does an okay job of building up dread rather than just throwing gore at the screen constantly.

Obviously suffers from cliche and regular horror tropes, but as a dog lover, this movie was great.

I liked it a lot. Nice kills with practical effects, not too silly, not too serious, just good fun all around.

Saw this recommended on this twisted board and it was surprisingly decent. The acting seemed unintentionally weird and the actors themselves were really weird. It wasn't really horror until like the last 20 minutes but those last 20 minutes were pretty damn good.

Overall it was like a fusion of Donnie Darko and Take Shelter. Worth checking out.

>but as a dog lover, this movie was great.

I love dogs more than life itself. Why would I like this movie? If anything, the cover gives the impression that it's a film about hurting dogs. I'm frankly sick of horror films where the family pet (usually a dog) ALWAYS dies gruesomely. Fuck The VVVVitch for doing this shit.

I was tricked into watching We Are Still Here. Why the fuck are horror comedy movies still billed billed as regular horror? They did this shit with Cabin in the Woods too and it pisses me off so much. At least Cabin revealed itself to be comedy pretty early on but We Are Still Here looked like a genuine horror movie for like the entire first half.

Horror comedy movies had the decency of making it clear that they were comedy back in the day. Scary Movie never tried to sell itself as the top horror movie of 2000.

That happens like once every 50 movies.

Scary Movie is hardly a "horror comedy". It's a spoof of horror movies, thereby a purebred comedy. There is no genuine horror aspect to it whatsoever.

It happens every single horror movie. The only movie where it didn't happen was The Conjuring 2. Babadook, Green Room, Sinister, The VVitch - the dogs always get offed and usually horribly mutilated. I've reached a point where if I see a family pet in the beginning of a horror movie, I just stop watching.

My negro, also im almost sure that movie was a "made for sci-fi channel" movie.

That was so damn fun

I'm not disagreeing with you but it's pretty much tagged everywhere as "horror comedy." They do this sneaky bullshit with films all of the time. Drag Me to Hell was being marketed as the new golden standard in horror back when it was released and it wasn't until it had been out for a little while that people began to realize that it was horror comedy.

It's like they think that the movie won't be as popular if it isn't labeled as strictly horror but then why add comedy elements at all? With many of these movies, they don't even turn comedic until towards the middle or the end so there's no real reason for them to tack the comedic shit on at all.

Krampus, The Canal, Spring, As Above So Below are one of my recent favourites.

It had nothing to do with the Syfy channel (or SciFi as it were).

I really liked this. Isn't it based on some old short story, though? I swear I've seen other things reference that specific premise before.

not bad but its overrated

I love how hard Elijah's steered into horror in recent years. He clearly has a love for the genre.

Probably my favorite horror movie I saw that year.

Does anyone know what he was talking about?

Amazing thread, OP.

Straight up this was a really good movie. I liked that they didn't kill off one of couple in the end.

Thank you, pal.
And good choice, that's a really nice movie.

Yeah, I liked that too. Most horror movies try to shock people killing one of the main characters at the end. It's cool seeing a movie that abandons that cliche.

I enjoyed this but I'm afraid to watch the sequel and prequel because they're supposed to be utter shit

This movie was a genuine surprise for me, really good watch.

They really are shit. Cube Zero is at least watchable, though.

Decent and messed up movie. Bonus points because it features CIA as the bumbling autist protag

Likewise

Don't bother watching the sequels.
Still, if you liked Cube you will maybe like Exam (2009) too.

The trailer looks good, thanks for the tip

I watch a lot of horror movies, and I write about them, too. I hate brave, IMPORTANT horror movies as much as I hate mainstream horror movies (for the most part). Here are my recommends from recently... or don't pay any attention to me, it's not like I give a fuck if you like what I like or not.

> SiREN
> Kill Command
> We Are Still Here
> Late Phases
> Found
> Girl House
> Howl
> Stung (garbage, but some quality drunk Lance Henriksen acting)
> Bloodsucking Bastards

There are more I like better, but I'd hardly call those underappreciated.

Frailty

god that was a surprisingly well made, written, and acted film.